Thailand Gives Ex-PM Thaksin Passport Back: Govt

webfact

Thailand gives ex-PM Thaksin passport back: govt

by Boonradom Chitradon

BANGKOK, December 16, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand has given its fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra his passport back, the government said Friday, despite strong opposition from the ex-tycoon's political opponents.

Thaksin, whose sister Yingluck is now prime minister, received the document from the Thai embassy in Abu Dhabi in October, the foreign ministry said.

Thaksin was stripped of his passport by the previous Thai government but received citizenship from Montenegro last year, allowing him to travel internationally.

Thaksin, who remains a hugely divisive figure, was deposed by the army in 2006 and lives in Dubai to avoid a two-year prison term on a conviction for corruption that he contends is politically motivated.

"This normal passport has nothing to do with extradition or whether he's innocent, but only his nationality," foreign ministry spokesman Thani Thongphakdi told reporters.

"No government agency, including the police -- judiciary and interior ministry -- opposed the re-issue of Thaksin's passport," he said.

Thaksin's sister Yingluck won a resounding election victory in July of this year, in the wake of mass opposition protests in 2010 by his "Red Shirt" supporters which ended with a bloody army crackdown.

Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul told reporters two weeks ago that Thailand would give Thaksin a passport "very soon". Thani said Surapong had not been aware then that the document had already been issued.

The announcement stoked tensions with Thaksin's enemies, already irked by recent reports -- denied by the government -- of plans to seek a royal pardon for the ex-premier that could allow him to return without serving time.

The opposition Democrat Party said at the time it was not surprised by the decision to issue a new passport for Thaksin, saying that Surapong's "only duty" as foreign minister was to help the fugitive ex-premier.

Yingluck has said the passport decision rested with the foreign ministry and she was not involved.

The row came at a delicate time for Yingluck as the 44-year-old leader, who was a political novice before taking office in August, has been grappling with the fallout from devastating floods.

In the early days of her premiership, Thaksin appeared keen to boost his profile with controversial trips to Japan and Cambodia, but he has largely remained silent during the flood crisis, which is now largely over.

Yingluck has not yet taken any legal steps clearing the path for her brother's return, and a royal pardon granted to thousands of convicts to mark the Thai king's birthday earlier this month did not include the ex-premier.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-12-16

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin's Passport Reinstated Since Oct 26

Foreign Ministry Spokesman Thani Thongpakdi affirms the Thai passport of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was reinstated since October 26 as he was no longer on the ministry's blacklist.

He said Thaksin had applied for a Thai passport at the Royal Thai Embassy in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates on October 25. Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul approved the issuance of the passport and a passport was issued to Thaksin on October 26.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-12-16

footer_n.gif

Thaksin in possesion of new Thai passport : FM

The Nation

30172023-01_big.jpg

Fugitive ex-PM Thaksin Shinawatra has already been issued with his new Thai passport, Foreign Ministry's spokesman Thani Thongpakdi said Friday.

The Foreign Ministry issued the passport for Thaksin on October 26 and sent it to him in Abu Dhai, UAE, via diplomatic pouch on the same day, he said.

Earlier Foreign Minister Surapong Tohvichakchaikul said his ministry had repealed the passport ban on Thaksin, which was issued by former foreign minister Kasit Piromya.

The minister said this was done because Thaksin is harmless and is not considered a security risk to the country.

The decision was taken after the ministry's Consular Affairs department informed him that Thaksin had applied for an ordinary passport via the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates on October 25. His original passport had been cancelled on April 12, 2009, at the order of Kasit Piromya, foreign minister in the Abhisit government.

The cancellation was ordered under ministerial regulations, which allow for a ban on holding passports for those nationals who do harm to the country.

"However I consider Khun Thaksin as harmless to the country. Therefore, I decided to revoke the order," Surapong said.

The new government which has Thaksin's sister; Yingluck, as the prime minister and Surapong of the Pheu Thai party, as the foreign minister, has never hidden its intention to bring back Thaksin to Thailand.

The revocation would enable Thaksin to get his new passport.

Surapong said this was the last time he would talk about the matter as, in his role as foreign minister, he has other duties to attend to, including strengthening relationships with other countries.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-16

"No government agency, including the police -- judiciary and interior ministry -- opposed the re-issue of Thaksin's passport," he said.

Now there's a suprise seeing he has relatives in key positions...:rolleyes:

"Thaksin had applied for an ordinary passport via the Thai Embassy in Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates on October 25.

The Foreign Ministry issued the passport for Thaksin on October 26" via diplomatic pouch on the same day

do all ordinary Thai citizens get service like this ?.....:whistling:

my moneys on...he will be sitting in Chang Mai eating his Somtam by year end...:rolleyes:

Montenegro revokes Mr T's passport because he harms Montenegro?

Yes, the homeland of international outlaws with big pockets tries to be accepted by the EU.

If this is the case, then the passport for Mr T follows UN laws: Everyone has the human right to have a nationality (passport).

Thai Foreign Minister admits Thaksin passport revocation annulled

image_201112161707394657650E-A48D-C9B9-5B85EDEB2521DBA2.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 16 -- Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul on Friday said the previous government's order rescinding ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra's passport has been revoked and the process to reissue the ousted premier's passport rests with the ministry's Consular Affairs Department.

Mr Surapong said he received a letter from the Department of Consular Affairs via the ministry's permanent secretary upon receiving Mr Thaksin's request for passport issuance.

The request was sent through the Thai ambassador to Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), he said.

The Department of Consular Affairs also informed him that Mr Thaksin's passport was revoked on April 12 , 2011 in accordance with the previous government's policy.

The then foreign minister Kasit Piromya signed the order withdrawing Mr Thaksin's passport under the ministry's regulation that allow minister to revoke a passport of anyone who was staying abroad if he/she deemed to pose any harm to the country.

Mr Surapong however said he and the government considered that, at the moment, Mr Thaksin's staying abroad did not threaten the country's security, therefore he has revoked his predecessor's order to strip Mr Thaksin's passport.

Reissuing the ousted prime minister's passport depends on the Department of Consular Affairs' consideration in accordance with ministerial regulations, he said.

"This is the last time that I will give a news briefing on the issue. I beg you, the media, to end it as I don't want to waste my time." Mr Surapong said. "I would be pleased if the opposition will scrutinise me in parliament. Anyone who would like to file suit is also welcomed as I insist that what I've done is lawful in every step," he said.

The foreign minister also denied an allegation that he had delivered the passport to Mr Thaksin while he was on a mission at Dubai on Nov 22-25.

Mr Thaksin, ousted in a coup in 2006, was sentenced in absentia in 2008 to two years imprisonment for violating a law on conflict of interest by helping his then wife acquire a parcel of prime Bangkok commercial land at a price far below the market value.

Meanwhile, royalist group Siam Samakkhi coordinator Dr Tul Sitthisomwong threatened to file a criminal lawsuit against Mr Surapong for reissuing Mr Thaksin's passport. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-12-16

Applied 25th, issued 26th, send to k. Thaksin via diplomatic pouch on the same day.

Ministry of Thaksin Affairs?

Please remind me, what did concern ordinary people in Thailand on the 25th and 26th of October, 2011?

Yes, the homeland of international outlaws with big pockets tries to be accepted by the EU.

If this is the case, then the passport for Mr T follows UN laws: Everyone has the human right to have a nationality (passport).

Nope, sorry not everyone, a passport is a privilege not a right, and it has nothing to do with asserting your nationality.

A few hours ago:

Posted Today, 12:07

RT @tulsathit: Surapong also says passport can now be issued for Thaksin, "but I don't know if it's been issued."

It was issued 1.5 months ago - but he had no clue? That it was issued on the same day he removed the blacklisting. Even though he removed the blacklist since Thaksin requested a new passport? What does he thinks happens when someone asks for a passport in general?

Well, I'll tell you what doesn't happen...people don't get it flown out with diplomatic mail or diplomat courier.

Unless there is a corrupt government in place.

Nope, sorry not everyone, a passport is a privilege not a right, and it has nothing to do with asserting your nationality.

Added to which, what possible use could a criminal convicted to two years in jail have for using one? Do prisons organise overseas trips for inmates or something?

A few hours ago:

RT @tulsathit: Surapong also says passport can now be issued for Thaksin, "but I don't know if it's been issued."

It was issued 1.5 months ago - but he had no clue? That it was issued on the same day he removed the blacklisting. Even though he removed the blacklist since Thaksin requested a new passport? What does he thinks happens when someone asks for a passport in general?

Well, I'll tell you what doesn't happen...people don't get it flown out with diplomatic mail or diplomat courier.

I would think that countries, that still offer their nationals passport service overseas, would most probably send the passports in diplomatic pouches. Notable exceptions being countries that out-source or centralize, resulting in passport being sent by post. They aren't necessarily pouches either. It's a figure of speech.

A few hours ago:

I would think that countries, that still offer their nationals passport service overseas, would most probably send the passports in diplomatic pouches. Notable exceptions being countries that out-source or centralize, resulting in passport being sent by post. They aren't necessarily pouches either. It's a figure of speech.

With many countries adding more and more security features in their nationals passport, those (passports) tend to be produced centrally. Mine includes a special (plastic) page with my photo in a hologram, my specifics and probably a few more things I'm not aware of ;) When applying for a passport in a foreign country you give details, fingerprints, photo, pay for it; a week later you can come to collect. New passport probably flown in in diplomatic mail(bag).

Still before my passport is produced all my details are checked. If I still have an unpaid parking ticket, it will pop-up and I have to pay it first before a new passport is issued. Such a minor mishap as an open two-year jail sentence, bail jumping, etc. would definitively cause me some problems. But then some countries have their administration in reasonable order :rolleyes:

Unfortunately the old saying 'some pigs are more equal than others' doesn't apply to me :(

Added to which, what possible use could a criminal convicted to two years in jail have for using one? Do prisons organise overseas trips for inmates or something?

The passport was revoked on a ministerial order. The passport was then reinstated on a ministerial order.

The legality of issuing the passport is not in question. The decision to revoke the passport was rooted in politics and the decision to reinstate the passport was rooted in politics.

Fugitive goes to Embassy, which is classed as the same soil as the country it represents, and is not arrested....why not ?

Because he owns the government?

Because the embassy does not have the capacity to hold anyone. What exactly would you expect the embassy to do if it arrested Mr. Thaksin? Even if the Democrats were in power, there would have been no arrest, since the arrest would have been futile.

Fugitive goes to Embassy, which is classed as the same soil as the country it represents, and is not arrested....why not ?

Because he owns the government?

Because the embassy does not have the capacity to hold anyone. What exactly would you expect the embassy to do if it arrested Mr. Thaksin? Even if the Democrats were in power, there would have been no arrest, since the arrest would have been futile.

No capacity...

don't make me laugh,

you only need a room the locks from the outside.

Embassies certainly do have military and policing security, holding cells and CAN hold people, based on the laws of the home country, since embassy land IS the home country. As well as diplomatic pouches, vehicles and aircraft.

That is why Thaksin has not stepped foot in a Thai diplomatic mission since the surprise visit to file his divorce to Potajamin. Just long enough to file the papers in front of embassy / consulate staff and leave before they can get instructions on what to do with him. The instructions were reportedly changed for all consular or higher properties AFTER that, in case he ever did set foot on them again.

No clue where you come up with this desperate sounding yet erroneous stuff.

Edited by animatic

Revoking Thaksin's Thai passport did nothing to stop him, and reissuing it won't have any effect either. This action by the current government is nothing more than a slap in the face to everyone who believes in justice and fairness. The more I see of the contempt that Thaksin supporters show to their fellow countrymen, the more I realize the PAD was totally correct.

Those who support Thaksin don't believe in the rule of law. Those who don't believe in the rule of law do not believe in democracy.

Thailand needs to become a military dictatorship until the Thai people become mature enough and educated enough to assume