I'M Gonna Learn To Ride A Motorbike In Phuket

grumpyoldman

For anyone looking at this TV Forum coming to Phuket on holiday, may I please advise, do not decide to learn to ride a motorbike here.

Yes, you see a lot of foreigners doing it.

Yes, it looks like fun.

Yes, it's an inexpensive way to get around.

Yes, you could possibly get killed or ruin your holiday by ending up in the hospital.

We have a bad driver thread already going here, but you add on top of those bad drivers someone who has never ridden a powered bike, and I mean, really, it's just the recipe for disaster. Especially if in this bad driver group you have road ragers deciding to force (unknown) newbie rider to the left.

The reason I post this is just in this last week, while on my scoot, I have seen ambulances everyday. On Kata Hill Thursday as the ambulance road away I saw a guy consoling a young gal, the one in the departing ambulance must have been in a really bad way.

Although most of us (I'll steal Jimi007's phrase) bitch and moan regarding tuk-tuks, they truly are a necessary evil.

Please do not learn to ride a motorbike in Phuket, stay somewhere you can walk, pay the tuk-tuk fares or set up transport with your hotel. Enjoy your holiday and get home safe and sound. Thx, GOM

• Like 1

As good and informative as your post is you and I know things will never change, tourists will always rent bikes/ powerful bikes because they just have to!! it's the same with swimming in rough seas and hiring Jet skis they are on holiday and it has to be done, up to them!!!

well done GOM,best advice a Tourist could have :blink:

Thanks for posting Barka, sacastic emoticon, noted.

If just one tourist stays out of the hospital after reading this.............I can hope anyway.................

ha ha you can hope in vain, they are on holiday and leave there sense and brains at home, nice that you are a caring considerate person though.:)

if they would let tourist drive ATV's like in south america that would fix a lot of problems.

Really? I see them on the road up to Kata Viewpoint from some place that rents them and they are way slower than a tuk tuk fully loaded. ATV, as the name implies, is an off road vehicle. I'm glad they are illegal on the roads. If tourists want to get around, rent a car or use a taxi or tuk tuk. If they feel they can't drive a car here, then why would they think they could ride a motorbike?

If just one tourist stays out of the hospital after reading this.............I can hope anyway.................

I have driven twice around Chalong circle today in my car and both time i have had to avoid Farlang tourists on there i twice had to drive to avoid them,they seem to have no idea how to drive,them,both with passengers on the back,, scary.....most of them are lost and looking for directions,and not at the traffic...t :unsure: This is high season,please try and allow for these newbies on Phuket roads,they are more dangerous than a lot of the bad Thai drivers,at least we get used to the Thai motobike drivers and you get some idea what they are going to do..B)

I have driven twice around Chalong circle today in my car and both time i have had to avoid Farlang tourists on there i twice had to drive to avoid them,they seem to have no idea how to drive,them,both with passengers on the back,, scary.....most of them are lost and looking for directions,and not at the traffic...t :unsure: This is high season,please try and allow for these newbies on Phuket roads,they are more dangerous than a lot of the bad Thai drivers,at least we get used to the Thai motobike drivers and you get some idea what they are going to do..B)

Your quote suggests you were going to fast if you had to avoid tourists on a roundabout!! never have I had to avoid these so called tourists, I would suggest people slow down and look ahead for possible problems!!

GOM, good post. Barka, I too find many tourists dangerous riders in a different way to the locals. Kenny, you must just be lucky!

I am often asked about bike rental and I always ask 1. Have you got a licence and 2. Are you an experienced rider. If the answer to either of these is no I try to talk guests out of it. Doesn't always work; I've had two of our guests come off bikes in the past week, fortunately relatively unscathed.

Not just inexperinnced riders, though. I had my second not-at-fault accident a week ago. Thai woman driver crossed right over into my lane, preparing for a curve in the road. Problem was that I had pedestrians on my left and nowehere to go. She insisted it was my fault! Called her police mate, but there were so many witnesses (inlcuding the position of her car, where she kindly left it in situ) that her police mate told her to go away. What particularly irked me was that as soon as she had the accident, she got on her phone without caring for our condition (missus was on the back). And she was arrogant and downright rude, notwithstanding that she was clearly in the wrong.

GOM, good post. Barka, I too find many tourists dangerous riders in a different way to the locals. Kenny, you must just be lucky!

I am often asked about bike rental and I always ask 1. Have you got a licence and 2. Are you an experienced rider. If the answer to either of these is no I try to talk guests out of it. Doesn't always work; I've had two of our guests come off bikes in the past week, fortunately relatively unscathed.

I too, agree with Barka and give tourists a v wide berth....

When we used to come here on holiday for 5 weeks at a time to visit my brother who was living here, we always rented 'bikes as my hubby thought it was fun - I hated it as I had never driven a 'bike back home and thought it was downright dangerous!

At least I had the sense to drive slowly, and as far to the left as possible, so only came off my 'bike once - I somehow couldn't get round a bend in the road :lol:!

I'm sure we all see tourists frequently on the road that clearly not only have never ridden a 'bike before, but take risks...

Living here, it was time to learn to drive a 'bike, and I now love it!

Your quote suggests you were going to fast if you had to avoid tourists on a roundabout!! never have I had to avoid these so called tourists, I would suggest people slow down and look ahead for possible problems!!

Kenny..<deleted>.. I dont drive fast, especially on roundabouts, i have been driving around Chalong circle ever since it was built

that circle has more accidents on it than most places in Phuket,thats the reason why, i quoted it :lol:

Kenny..<deleted>.. I dont drive fast, especially on roundabouts, i have been driving around Chalong circle ever since it was built

that circle has more accidents on it than most places in Phuket,thats the reason why, i quoted it :lol:

There should not be any accidents on Chalong circle because it is a roundabout and people should be going very slow, never seen an acident there!!! I am obviously a very special person !!

There should not be any accidents on Chalong circle because it is a roundabout and people should be going very slow, never seen an acident there!!! I am obviously a very special person !!

Witnesses only last week 2 accidents there. One on the circle one getting on the circle (last one reallt stupid, coming from Rawai they tried to make it 3 lanes, which did not work out ok.

While I agree with Grumpy that you shouldn't try to learn how to ride a motorbike for the first time in Phuket (or anywhere in Thailand for that matter) the motorbike is the best way to experience the wonders of this island (IMHO).

After three years of cycling around Phuket (and I am in my 60's) I have never had an accident or near accident. The secret is defensive driving and becoming familiar with the local traffic patterns and customs (as crazy as they may seem to be at times).

But the motorcyle allows an opportunity to explore neighborhoods, beaches and side tracks that would be impossible in a car, public transport or, Buddha forbid, by Tuk Tuk.

You can stop, chat, and get into and out of tight sois with ease.

The greatest thing about motorbiking in Phuket is exploring some of the hill trails that lead to magnificent views and quiet neighborhoods where friendly people reside.

I would never want to have a car in Phuket. Parking is always a headache and you can sit for hours in the jams.

By contrast, during rush hour, you can scoot to the head of the line or abort to another destination on a whim.

The only proviso is that you need to be reasonably physically fit (and sober!). Then, the motorcyle opens up vistas and friendships that not car or taxi could ever provide.

Enjoy.

While I agree with Grumpy that you shouldn't try to learn how to ride a motorbike for the first time in Phuket (or anywhere in Thailand for that matter) the motorbike is the best way to experience the wonders of this island (IMHO).

After three years of cycling around Phuket (and I am in my 60's) I have never had an accident or near accident. The secret is defensive driving and becoming familiar with the local traffic patterns and customs (as crazy as they may seem to be at times).

But the motorcyle allows an opportunity to explore neighborhoods, beaches and side tracks that would be impossible in a car, public transport or, Buddha forbid, by Tuk Tuk.

The greatest thing about motorbiking in Phuket is exploring some of the hill trails that lead to magnificent views and quiet neighborhoods where friendly people reside.

I would never want to have a car in Phuket. Parking is always a headache and you can sit for hours in the jams.

By contrast, during rush hour, you can scoot to the head of the line or abort to another destination on a whim.

The only proviso is that you need to be reasonably physically fit (and sober!). Then, the motorcyle opens up vistas and friendships that not car or taxi could ever provide.

Enjoy.

Good post and well said, I agree, it's probably the only way to properly explore a place is with a motorbike... I came in this thread to see how dangerous the roads are in Phuket (As I'll be moving there next year) compared to those of Pattaya? I've been riding a Motor-bike for 6 months in Pattaya, only fell off once and it was totally my fault, well if they didn't have bloody camouflaged speed bumps in those dark back street sois, it probably wouldn't have happened...

Does Phuket too have speed bumps in dark unlit sois that are camouflaged into the road?

Enjoy.

Good post and well said, I agree, it's probably the only way to properly explore a place is with a motorbike... I came in this thread to see how dangerous the roads are in Phuket (As I'll be moving there next year) compared to those of Pattaya? I've been riding a Motor-bike for 6 months in Pattaya, only fell off once and it was totally my fault, well if they didn't have bloody camouflaged speed bumps in those dark back street sois, it probably wouldn't have happened...

Does Phuket too have speed bumps in dark unlit sois that are camouflaged into the road?

Yes. You have to learn the roads. When I first moved here most sois didn't even have a name, let along a street sign. It's just been in the last two or so years that someone went crazy with speed bumps. Of course there are many towns here, which are all different. Phuket is a provence, not a town like Pattaya.

Edited by Jimi007

Yes. You have to learn the roads. When I first moved here most sois didn't even have a name, let along a street sign. It's just been in the last two or so years that someone went crazy with speed bumps. Of course there are many towns here, which are all different. Phuket is a provence, not a town like Pattaya.

Ok thanks, I haven't chosen a town to stay in yet, anywhere but Patong and Phuket Town...I was thinking maybe Karong...Anyway yeah I'll learn the roads, but I will still need a motorbike to move around at first...will just need to take it easy....thanks again..

And when they do decide to make a speed bump here, it is a dang bump for sure!

Where was I.................oh yea........on my way to Laem Hin pier the other day, through the Muslim village, geez oh, the box scraping over the bump, and usually you have some space on the sides to go around it but there, noooooooooooo.

There are 8 dang bumps between home and the kid's school. And, most of that trip is through the Muslim area (maybe so I'll slow down for all the chickens?) Anyway, I always forget about #6, or #3 as we call it on the way home. Sneaks up on me every time.:rolleyes:

There are 8 dang bumps between home and the kid's school. And, most of that trip is through the Muslim area (maybe so I'll slow down for all the chickens?) Anyway, I always forget about #6, or #3 as we call it on the way home. Sneaks up on me every time.:rolleyes:

The worst is the short-cut between Chao Fah West and Kathu.

At the Kathu end there are nine speed bumps within 100 metres.

Well, with the greatest of respect to those lucky people who've never had a m/cycle accident in Phuket, it doesn't matter how defensive and careful you are, some accidents are simply unavoidable. There are very few people I know of who have never come off, and in almost every case, it was the fault of the other person. I have nothing whatsoever against the Thais - I have quite a few Thai friends - but some of them should not be on the roads.

The worst is the short-cut between Chao Fah West and Kathu.

At the Kathu end there are nine speed bumps within 100 metres.

Really catches me out after that super high speed dual carriageway, enter the village and wham ... wham ... etc

Well, with the greatest of respect to those lucky people who've never had a m/cycle accident in Phuket, it doesn't matter how defensive and careful you are, some accidents are simply unavoidable. There are very few people I know of who have never come off, and in almost every case, it was the fault of the other person. I have nothing whatsoever against the Thais - I have quite a few Thai friends - but some of them should not be on the roads.

Well, thank you! I have come close, but (knock on wood) haven't had one in the seven years I've been here. I've had a car and a motorbike rear end my car though. Both times their fault and both times they were Thai. The one in the car had insurance and paid, the one on the motorbike said he would, but then changed his phone number. I was out 1,000 Baht for a new tail light lens.

It always pays to drive v slowly until you know the roads, especially on a 'bike.

I've no problem with the speed bumps - they are there for a reason.

There are 3 on the tiny soi leading to where I live, not 'cos anyone lives there - just to stop the 'boy racers' from using it as a 'bike race track! Now I know them V well, they don't slow me down (on my 'bike) at all, unless I've a heavy/fragile load.

It always pays to drive v slowly until you know the roads, especially on a 'bike.

I've no problem with the speed bumps - they are there for a reason.

There are 3 on the tiny soi leading to where I live, not 'cos anyone lives there - just to stop the 'boy racers' from using it as a 'bike race track! Now I know them V well, they don't slow me down (on my 'bike) at all, unless I've a heavy/fragile load.

You have no problem with the speed bumps? even the fact that they are camouflaged and sometimes over-sized? I

n the west they either paint them yellow, or attach some kind of sign or reflectors off them for obvious reasons, as we all know their whole purpose is to make the roads safer, not more dangerous. The way they make them in Thailand is just ludicrously dangerous...