Buying Off A Farang

tomartoh

Thanks for info. Does he need to show proof of residence from immigration

Signed copies of passport incl pages with visa and entry dates,signature in reg. book,sig. on power of attorney form and bill of sale. The last 2 forms can be had at any mocyc. or car dealer.

I am going to buy a bike off a farang, in another province. The bike is registered in his name

I don't know where you live, but if in Pattaya, it's a pain in the ass...

Alltogether, you have to go THREE times to DLT Chonburi!

One time with the bike, to check the frame number.

Buying in Phuket and live in Krabi. I seem to remember when a farang friend sold his pickup in Krabi, with a Chiang Rai plate, he had to get a form signed by immigration here in Krabi confirming his address in Krabi s othat the Tax office would transfer ownership.

I never usuallly bother but the way things are going it seems best idea is to follow the system and register the vehicle in my name, in case of accident, theft or whatever might be waiting down the road

I am going to buy a bike off a farang, in another province. The bike is registered in his name

I don't know where you live, but if in Pattaya, it's a pain in the ass...

Alltogether, you have to go THREE times to DLT Chonburi!

One time with the bike, to check the frame number.

My suggestion would be that you do the transfer in the province where the bike is registered (and presumably where the seller lives as well). Then if there are any problems they can be fixed on the spot so to speak.

Then after all the paperwork is cleared take the bike back to your province and re-register it in your name locally. That is easy and not too expensive either and only you need to be there.

It will take a couple of hours for the bike to be inspected and a new number plate made.

My suggestion would be that you do the transfer in the province where the bike is registered (and presumably where the seller lives as well). Then if there are any problems they can be fixed on the spot so to speak.

Then after all the paperwork is cleared take the bike back to your province and re-register it in your name locally. That is easy and not too expensive either and only you need to be there.

It will take a couple of hours for the bike to be inspected and a new number plate made.

We have arranged that we go to the bike shop where he bought the bike, for them to raise the bill of sale and affidavit.. Then we go to the tax office to transfer ownership in the book. He will take passport and work permit. i will take passport and letter from my immigration offic for proof of residence. Then I give him the money and when i get back home at some time I will reregister in home province..

I hope that covers everything

Thanks everyone for your imput

We have arranged that we go to the bike shop where he bought the bike, for them to raise the bill of sale and affidavit.. Then we go to the tax office to transfer ownership in the book. He will take passport and work permit. i will take passport and letter from my immigration offic for proof of residence. Then I give him the money and when i get back home at some time I will reregister in home province..

I hope that covers everything

Thanks everyone for your imput

before you are allowed to transfer, DLT must inspect bike and scratch off VIN for their files. For expensive bigbikes some DLT also file photo of bike

• 5 months later...

I've bought and sold a few bikes over the years but the last was more than 5 years ago, so I'm not sure what is the current situation. Back then all I needed was the green book, the ownership change form and a copy of sellers passport,

I just bought a second hand Fino for my wife from a Farang here in Pattaya. it will be registered in my wife's name (Thai). Do we need to bring anything other than the green book, the signed ownership change form, sellers passport (picture page, visa, entry card) and my wife's ID card?

Do they need to see the bike - it's two years old and already registered in this province.

I've bought and sold a few bikes over the years but the last was more than 5 years ago, so I'm not sure what is the current situation. Back then all I needed was the green book, the ownership change form and a copy of sellers passport,

I just bought a second hand Fino for my wife from a Farang here in Pattaya. it will be registered in my wife's name (Thai). Do we need to bring anything other than the green book, the signed ownership change form, sellers passport (picture page, visa, entry card) and my wife's ID card?

Do they need to see the bike - it's two years old and already registered in this province.

In Patts the farang seller has to get a Certificate of Residence from Immi. I don't think they will need the bike if it is already registered in Chonburi province.

^ Really? Madness! I can understand they want one for the buyer, but for the seller? That just doesn't make any sense. Any way around that? Seller has a work permit, would that perhaps work?

Every single time i've bought and sold a bike i needed the Residency certificate, i don't think it has anything to do with the visa, just proof of address. Which is part of the reason why i am going to the trouble of trying to get a Yellow Book (tabian Baan/House Book for a farang), so i can use that for proof of address instead.

Buying off has a different meaning than buying from.whistling.gif

I used to speak English, but 10 years of dumbing down in Thailand has taken its toll. ......... However, maybe I am buying off a farang. I am paying him money so that he gives me his bike

Then, to be exact, you would be 'buying-off' and not 'buying off'.

R

for a farang, a sale without work permit or permit of residence is totally not legal and create problems in the future.

especially, if you are living in a dirty touristic area such as Pattaya, Phuket etc. every stop by police means a good money under the license/passport or more...

^ Really? Madness! I can understand they want one for the buyer, but for the seller? That just doesn't make any sense. Any way around that? Seller has a work permit, would that perhaps work?

Yep, work permit is accepted in lieu of residence proof paper...

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

^ That's how I understood it too, but we were at the motor office today and they said residence permit was required. My wife asked in Thai if Work Permit would be ok but was told no, it has to be residence permit.

Personally I think they just like to make life complicated for farangs. That's why I always register stuff in my wife's name, I find that's just soo much less hassle in the long run.

Personally I think they just like to make life complicated for farangs.

You said it! Most offices really don't like to deal with foreigners. The only way you have a chance is to find some motorbike shop which does title-transfer and licensing services, and which has the 'in' with the office - in other words has a 'relationship' with the staff in the office which is 'beneficial' to said staff, if you see what I mean. I'm so happy to say I use such a shop, and they have always been able to get things done under my name for a fair price (the 'extra fees' usually amount to at most 100 baht).

That said, recently when the staff of the DMV changed - you know how in Thailand the bosses at these offices are often moved around - they had some difficulty 'cementing a relationship' with the new guy for a while. I had to wait over two months for one registration to come back. No extra charge, but there's just a certain protocol for these kinds of relationships in Thailand, apparently, and there's no rushing it (you can't just walk in and offer a bribe).

Edited by ClareQuilty