Thai Orb Weaver

I managed to stop some kids in the act of squashing this massive Orb Weaver this morning.

It's about 5 inches across and is probably a female.

I used to breed Tarantulas and other creepy crawlies as one of my hobbies in the UK - I've decided to keep her for a little while.

They usually eat Moths in the wild - she's already made a web.

When our house is built I will probably relocate her to a nice tree/bush.

I may try and catch a few Cobalt Blues/Thai Blacks next year and see if I can breed a few and release them before they are all caught, fried and eaten :)

DSCN0724.jpg

DSCN0727.jpg

^ a wonderful series of photos...I too almost walked into a web and its mistress strung between two clumps of tall bamboo in the garden of a holiday home in the Punchak Pass area south of Jakarta that we shared with 4 other families on alternating weekends some years ago....normally I am terrified of spiders but this one seemed to have more right to be there than I did...fascinating...

^ a wonderful series of photos...I too almost walked into a web and its mistress strung between two clumps of tall bamboo in the garden of a holiday home in the Punchak Pass area south of Jakarta that we shared with 4 other families on alternating weekends some years ago....normally I am terrified of spiders but this one seemed to have more right to be there than I did...fascinating...

Tutsi did it touch you up as you meandered past?

well...I don't remember screaming as I walked past...quite elegant she was and minding her own business...I spent the rest of the afternoon on the terrace watching her activities from a safe distance...pak Uddin who was in residence as the house boy/supervisor gestured in her direction with a smile and said: 'bagus?' and I concurred...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

now I'm reminded of that house in the Punchak Pass and it was truly a paradise, precariously perched on the side of an active volcano but that arachnophobes and large spiders could live in peace and with mutual respect... and earthquakes, eruptions, floods and mudslides could carry us all away quite suddenly and I walked hand in hand with my indo girlfriend (a christian that I met in a bar and my same age in our 40s) to the local tea plantation and we fantasized on eternal happiness...

a magical place...with magical spiders...

Edited by tutsiwarrior