New Style Forum Layout

cardholder

ok thanks, can see now, but where has the reply to a post button gone? , all i see is report - Multi quote and quote?

Agree 100%. The new button names are misnomers, I need a "reply" button.

I'd certainly agree about that... "Reply" makes a whole lot more sense than "quote."

And same with the "teardrop" icon... Is anyone supposed to guess from the icon what exactly that function is supposed to do? It's totally non-intuitive.

If you mouse over it it shows description.

I know. But the button should still be called "Reply". The mouse-over can show "with quote", but first the user will look for a reply button. That's a basic thing for GUI developers: Think what is intuitive to a new user, regardless of what can be done after you have studied the Help file. Basic functions need to be there without needing an explanation or training.

Having said that, I also enjoy looking at the date when any poster joined. That's not a basic function though, and I am happy with the mouse-over. I am just saying this to explain the difference, and why a button called "Reply" is necessary.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have mis-hit the QUOTE button , instead of the POST section below once, maybe twice...and I have nearly hit REPORT on my own banal blatherings a few times, but overall, I am almost used to this upgraded version, and given another week, I would have wiped the old version from my memory.

When posting a reply I will get a blank page instead of getting a confirmation or being directed to the post I just made.

What browser and version are you using?

Using explorer 9 on windows 7 ultimate.Got the same issue right now at 23.28 when posting in the mobile forum.Clicking on the back button in my browser directs me to my published post.

Edited by janverbeem

In a forum board format, a "return to top of page" would be golden.

It's hiding right at the bottom of the page in the middle, just to the right of 'All rights reserved'.

On my browser, it is to the left and almost invisible until you mouse over it when it lights up. But it IS there!

It's hiding right at the bottom of the page in the middle, just to the right of 'All rights reserved'.

On my browser, it is to the left and almost invisible until you mouse over it when it lights up. But it IS there!

What browser and version do you use?

What browser and version do you use?

Just call me a Retro-grouch!

post-498-0-90315100-1324981386_thumb.png

Iam am seeing this problem with some buttons.

TV_Borked_01.jpg

Still have the same issue, except now the "button" is a solid colour.

TV_02.jpg

Am using Firefox.

A confirmed layout bug, webmaster will fix asap.

Cheers!

Webmaster still working on a fix ?

I imagine webmaster sleeps and likes to enjoy Christmas day too. Some patience, thanks.

Searching problem - When doing a search of a forum the header says the term I searched for, but not which forum. Probably OK for most people, but I do a search and then go and do something in another program while I am waiting (very slow internet at work), so resorting to writing down which search I have done. Then there is no option to do another search in the same forum and the search defaults to all forums. I think there used to be an option to redo the search in the same forum before, if not before is probably a good idea now as allows for improvements/variations on search terms to be easily done.

Cheers

I am having problems putting things in quote boxes when using the box underneath the thread to reply to a topic, rather than using the quote button. If you want to quote something from the OP or an outside source, you need to be able to use it.

Worked fine for me.

I am having problems putting things in quote boxes when using the box underneath the thread to reply to a topic, rather than using the quote button. If you want to quote something from the OP or an outside source, you need to be able to use it.

I have the same problem.

One comment/caution about the new & improved "Mark this forum as read" function:

In the previous forum incarnations, clicking on that button marked all threads as read AND refreshed the page so you could see if any threads had been updated between the time you originally displayed the index and the time you clicked on the button.

e.g. You would display the index of thread titles at 1000am, scan through the list, and click the "Mark this forum as read" button at 1003am. Because the page would refresh, you could easily see that a thread was started/updated at 1001am but was now marked as being "read".

With the current forum incarnation, clicking the "Mark this forum as read" button only shows that it has marked the existing displayed threads as "read," WITHOUT redisplaying the list by refreshing the page. I had optimistically assumed that that meant only the currently displayed thread titles are marked as "read," but alas, that is NOT the case, so you need to make a SECOND entry to redisplay the forum titles to see if something got marked as read (or a new thread was started) that you didn't know about.

When clicking on the "My content" button it's pulling up stuff where the last post was months ago and sticking it near the top. Am I being thick and missing something or is there a problem? Thanks.

I experience the same problem maybe there are twoo thickheads.

Another comment is that the opportunity to respond is automatically at the end of the thread I assume this is modernisation which is fine but if a post is say 3 pages long the avatar respond opportunity appears at the bottom of each page isn't this a waste of board space??

Not sure why you are having difficulty quoting, if you are just copy pasting, then select the text with your mouse and then hit the quote box in the fast reply at the bottom,

If you want to quote someone, hit the quote button under their post, same if you want to quote several, hit multiquote. a popup will appear at the bottom that gives you the chance to reply

and mijian, I am afraid I don't know what you mean. sorry