New Style Forum Layout

cardholder

Just upgraded to FF 9.0.1 and the spell check on Thai Visa no longer works, even though my dictionary add-on is still shown as active.

I assume this problem is related to my upgrade as the spell check was working fine all day until I upgraded.

Checkqing ... confirmed with Firefox 9.

checkqing again... confrimed with IE8.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just upgraded to FF 9.0.1 and the spell check on Thai Visa no longer works, even though my dictionary add-on is still shown as active.

I assume this problem is related to my upgrade as the spell check was working fine all day until I upgraded.

Answer in this topic

Hi I am refering to the drop down screen at the top right next to my name. The first pic is with the drop down closed and the second with it open..........

PS: I only found support when this topic appeared in "View New Content..

post-46292-0-61810100-1325528796_thumb.p

post-46292-0-32575700-1325528819_thumb.p

I have XP with IE8. Occasionally when I go to the forum, the layout is different. The ads below the two visa forums are intermingled with the forum lines rather than at the bottom. Also all the topics on any forum are in bold as if they have not been read. The next time I go, the format is sometimes the same and sometimes okay. It doesn't affect the performance. My other computer has the same software package and does the same thing side by side.

I have XP with IE8. Occasionally when I go to the forum, the layout is different. The ads below the two visa forums are intermingled with the forum lines rather than at the bottom. Also all the topics on any forum are in bold as if they have not been read. The next time I go, the format is sometimes the same and sometimes okay. It doesn't affect the performance. My other computer has the same software package and does the same thing side by side.

Windows XP is a 10 year old operating system that we don't support or develop for anymore. Don't expect that modern web and software will work as intended on your system. Sorry.

Windows XP is a 10 year old operating system that we don't support or develop for anymore. Don't expect that modern web and software will work as intended on your system. Sorry.
Works fine 95% of the time, just intermittantly pops up with all the posts bolded as if they had not been read. Doesn't sound as if because I'm using XP. If it was that, the problem would be there all of the time. I didn't update to a new operating system because I'm not in the habit of changing things that are working fine, lke some website root administrators do! Edited by wayned

Works fine 95% of the time, just intermittantly pops up with all the posts bolded as if they had not been read. Doesn't sound as if because I'm using XP. If it was that, the problem would be there all of the time. I didn't update to a new operating system because I'm not in the habit of changing things that are working fine, lke some website root administrators do!

When it shows the bold threads, does it still show you as being signed in?

+1

Works fine 95% of the time, just intermittantly pops up with all the posts bolded as if they had not been read. Doesn't sound as if because I'm using XP. If it was that, the problem would be there all of the time. I didn't update to a new operating system because I'm not in the habit of changing things that are working fine, lke some website root administrators do!

When it shows the bold threads, does it still show you as being signed in?

I live in the sticks and we have been having some "brown outs" and I've had to log back in a number of times. So, I just logged out and , guess what, that's the problem. You're OKAY no matter what everybody else says about you. Looks like I don't have to get a retirement visa for my old xp operating system just yet! No need to change something that still works!

Thanks

I happened to linger longer than was decent on a poster's name, and pulled up their profile (so to speak).

Below the avatar there was a number, which seemed to be an integer in the range -5 to 102, in the sample of profiles I looked at.

What is this parameter? How is it calculated?

SC

and all the best for the New Year from the Spanish Inquisition...

I happened to linger longer than was decent on a poster's name, and pulled up their profile (so to speak).

Below the avatar there was a number, which seemed to be an integer in the range -5 to 102, in the sample of profiles I looked at.

What is this parameter? How is it calculated?

SC

and all the best for the New Year from the Spanish Inquisition...

It's a members Reputation points. See separate topic here:

Since you do support or develope for XP anymore, what operating system do you reccommend that I upgrade to?

Since you do support or develope for XP anymore, what operating system do you reccommend that I upgrade to?

The only real option for upgrading is to Windows 7.

Other unlikely options are Linux operating systems, but I don't think that would be suitable for you.

Other unlikely options are Linux operating systems, but I don't think that would be suitable for you.

Thanks for your input, only have 15.2 Gig left and need 16 for windows seven. Can't see the benefit of the expense at this time since the local thai support guy (only one within 100 kilometers that I trust) wants me to keep XP Pro. Really wanted George to comment on why TV is not suppoting XP other than it's too Old. There are many users that haven't upgraded to Win7 and don't intend to.

Thanks for your input, only have 15.2 Gig left and need 16 for windows seven. Can't see the benefit of the expense at this time since the local thai support guy (only one within 100 kilometers that I trust) wants me to keep XP Pro. Really wanted George to comment on why TV is not suppoting XP other than it's too Old. There are many users that haven't upgraded to Win7 and don't intend to.

It's costs money to support different operating systems and different browsers and their versions. At some point it's just not worth the effort in supporting them, especially when many of the older operating systems and browsers don't actually support the newer functionality available.

At some stage you won't have a choice about moving to Windows 7 ( ... or Windows 8 which might be released this year), and the only reason not to upgrade is that you might be buying a new PC/Laptop in the near future. I'm sure you could clean up your disk to get a bit more space if you really wanted to.

It's costs money to support different operating systems and different browsers and their versions. At some point it's just not worth the effort in supporting them, especially when many of the older operating systems and browsers don't actually support the newer functionality available.

At some stage you won't have a choice about moving to Windows 7 ( ... or Windows 8 which might be released this year), and the only reason not to upgrade is that you might be buying a new PC/Laptop in the near future. I'm sure you could clean up your disk to get a bit more space if you really wanted to.

I know that I can clean up my disk, I know that I can repartition the disk to give me more space but I don't see why I should. I'm not having any problems with XP now. I'm not having any problems using TV with XP. And don't get on your bandwagon and tell me that I won't have a choice about moving to windows 7, because I do. I still haven't heard what george has ro say, or are you his spokesperson?.

I know that I can clean up my disk, I know that I can repartition the disk to give me more space but I don't see why I should. I'm not having any problems with XP now. I'm not having any problems using TV with XP. And don't get on your bandwagon and tell me that I won't have a choice about moving to windows 7, because I do. I still haven't heard what george has ro say, or are you his spokesperson?.

If you want George to come along and say "ditto", he might be along soon. But then again, he might just see that you've already been told why and do some more important things.

It's a common issue in software development. It's just not worth the time, money or effort to develop software that will work on browsers or operating systems that few people use.

The reason that I say that you won't have a choice, is because if you buy a new PC or laptop, you will be very unlikely to be able to get XP loaded on it. If you continue to hold on to your current PC/laptop with XP on it, you will come across more and more software or websites that won't work properly.

Ditto.
  • Like 2

Until last week, Windows XP had the greatest market share of any operating system in the world. It will not stop being supported until well after Windows 8 comes out, which according to reports is sometime in the first half of this year.

Until last week, Windows XP had the greatest market share of any operating system in the world. It will not stop being supported until well after Windows 8 comes out, which according to reports is sometime in the first half of this year.

Actually the turn around and parity point to Win7 majority was July 2011. Currently Windows7+Vista is 50.7% versus 32.8% for XP. Around March when Win7+Vista surpassed WinXP

post-566-0-63624700-1325678589_thumb.jpg

W3Schools OS statistics

^ Those W3Schools stats are only for users of that website, which is a website about web development and browsed mainly by web developers, programmers, etc. I find the stats here are more accurate and complete, and they show a slightly higher percentage (36.44%) still using Win XP. W3Schools is pretty close on this one though.

Microsoft continues to support Windows XP and will do so until 2014. Windows XP won't become officially obsolete until 2020.

10 years old and obsolete!!!! Of course it's only because someone wants to make a few gazillion $ more selling the "new improved" version. I'm sure XP was ( IS ) fine for the vast majority of users. Modern life sucks sometimes.

BTW I think most Thai internet shops probably use XP.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

Hi chaps. Couple times been bounced out to an ad page after replying to topics:

Ads by GoogleKoh Samui Boutique Resortwww.rockyresort.com

Beautiful, secluded resort set in a stunning location in south Thailand

Could you not do this, pretty bad form to be honest.

It's a bug, and I have seen it as well. I have been unable to reproduce it as again. We are not sure when this happens, and it's not our intention at all.