Forum upgrade in progress! ×

New Style Forum Layout

cardholder

The emoticons are back to front. Can this small thing be rectified as well please?

Just checked this one. It's a core element in the software and the whole emoticons section will be overhauled in next official IP.Board version (expected in Janauary/February 2012)

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I never knew about the old forum navigation feature -- I always used to redisplay the forum sections index page -- so I can say I like the new "teardrop" icon at the top, and wholeheartedly agree it should also appear at the bottom of the page.

Also, is it possible to add "situational awareness" to that feature? i.e. Have it auto-scroll to the current forum section? Maybe I'm the anomaly, but I usually read forum sections from top to bottom, so scrolling within the pop-up window could be minimized if it always opened centered on the current section.

Layout is ok, I miss the quick jump to another topic dropdown menu that used to be at the bottom of every page - unless I am missing something.

hate clicking back back to get to the main page in order to find another topic.

Guess you missed the previously posted directions. At the top right of the page next to the View New Content button is a 'teardrop' icon. This will bring up a forum jump to windows.

post-566-0-74597200-1324623601_thumb.jpg

"Your Content" used to be helpful for tracking posts in which I recently participated. Now it's totally useless. Example: Thread I posted in months ago is on top of the list. Yes, I tried every option. What a disaster!

Mine is the same. angry.gif

"Your Content" used to be helpful for tracking posts in which I recently participated. Now it's totally useless. Example: Thread I posted in months ago is on top of the list. Yes, I tried every option. What a disaster!

Coming soon, see earlier replies to this question.

Cheres

Any comment on the issue I brought up, the blocking out of displaying the subheadings? If that is the new design, why don't you disable the function to write them in the first place? Then people would at least be forced to make the ONE heading as informative as possible.

Edited by Jingthing

Please read the entire thread before bringing up your issue, the thread is filled with many explanations that may cover your issue. such as your content, such as using the teardrop icon at the top to jump to other forums, thanks

Any comment on the issue I brought up, the blocking out of displaying the subheadings? If that is the new design, why don't you disable the function to write them in the first place? Then people would at least be forced to make the ONE heading as informative as possible.

This is planned for next software release.

I'm still not sure why the old format needed to be changed, or how this new format is an improvement?

Edit - I appreciated knowing immediately (from the 'user' screen on the left), when the poster joined TV. This info has now gone. Why?

I also find the 'Hot' icon extremely annoying!

Edited by F1fanatic

In the previous version of the forum there was a "go to top" button below every post,which make it easier to go back to top instead of needing to scroll unneccessary through sometimes a very long page of posts you don't want to read.

The <Home> and <End> keys take me to the top and bottom of the page. No need for mouse clicking.

Excellent tip!

I'm still not sure why the old format needed to be changed, or how this new format is an improvement?

Edit - I appreciated knowing immediately (from the 'user' screen on the left), when the poster joined TV. This info has now gone. Why?

I also find the 'Hot' icon extremely annoying!

As has been noted, forum software was no longer going to be supported by Invision, so we had to do the upgrade, additionally, several security bugs were fixed.

Please try to read the entire thread through so that you can see what has already been pointed out and what solutions there are for using the new features. It would be appreciated if you could post specific bugs or fixes you want rather than simply a generic complaint, thanks.

I never knew about the old forum navigation feature -- I always used to redisplay the forum sections index page -- so I can say I like the new "teardrop" icon at the top, and wholeheartedly agree it should also appear at the bottom of the page.

Also, is it possible to add "situational awareness" to that feature? i.e. Have it auto-scroll to the current forum section? Maybe I'm the anomaly, but I usually read forum sections from top to bottom, so scrolling within the pop-up window could be minimized if it always opened centered on the current section.

We will add it to the bottom of pages in next software update this afternoon. We are currently testing it on the test server.

Cheers!

I must say I am not a fan of the new layout, however if the old version is no longer going to be supported then all we can do is supply some input to optimise the new one. Of course this is always a good opportunity to see if a few of the items on the wishlist can be slipped inwhistling.gif

1/ General comment there seems to be a lack of contrast and the differentiation between posts. The soft blue colour needs darkening up or something.

2/ The header for the page is jammed up underneath ads by Google then has a large area vacant underneath it. This does not help with differentiation of items. See JPG (hopefully). No that did not work.

3/ Very slow and frustrating on limited bandwidth connection. The old thing of suck it and see is a pain in the bum as everything happens so slowly. User guide popup with FAQ's may be an answer.

4/ The report button is sort of sitting there like it is a bit of text, should have a button highlight as per the "Quote" etc.

Best of luck in meeting all requests.

Cheers

Typo edited, item 4 added

Edited by Litlos

Two comments:-

To open a thread through Latest post, I find myself clicking on the name, and getting the poster's profile. It's not really clear which bit you should click.

My avatar (that again!) has been cropped on both sides. The key feature of this bird (which has just had a thread opened about it in Pets etc) is the knob on the end of the beak! I checked with my profile, and it's OK there.

That was the same in the previous version. Once you've looked at a couple of profiles, you'll learn not to click on the name. If you don't learn, well ....

once you drive a car where the position of the accelerator and brake pedal was switched you'll learn not to brake with the accelerator. if you don't learn, well...

whistling.gif

would any kind soul please tell me how to find my private messages? angry.gif

There appear to be two ways to access messages. Right up the top right hand side of the page there is an envelope icon, or through the profile button and "Personal Messenger". I think there was something back in this thread on how they are still indexing the database or something and they might appear later. My coonection is to slow to go back through the thread and find the exact quote.

Cheers

I understand the need for the upgrade but here's what I don't like about the new version:

- There's too much white. The look is anemic

- The font is not easy on the eyes. When writing this post in the "Reply to this topic" section at the bottom of the page (which, BTW, is a great idea) the font displayed is very easy on the eyes, but once it's posted it changes to another font.

Edited by MZurf

Hmm, not sure what all the fuss is about. It certainly looks very clear and easy to read. blink.png

And the smilies work OK biggrin.gif

My only gripe is that I have a permanent horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of my Firefox 3.5 screen. It won't go away no matter how small I make the fonts or whether I maximise the screen. sad.gif