New Style Forum Layout

cardholder

Hmm, not sure what all the fuss is about. It certainly looks very clear and easy to read. blink.png

And the smilies work OK biggrin.gif

My only gripe is that I have a permanent horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of my Firefox 3.5 screen. It won't go away no matter how small I make the fonts or whether I maximise the screen. sad.gif

Are you really using Firefox 3.5?!?

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any comment on the issue I brought up, the blocking out of displaying the subheadings? If that is the new design, why don't you disable the function to write them in the first place? Then people would at least be forced to make the ONE heading as informative as possible.

This is planned for next software release.

What is planned exactly? Showing the subheadings as before, or disabling the entry field for the subheadings when posting?

Any comment on the issue I brought up, the blocking out of displaying the subheadings? If that is the new design, why don't you disable the function to write them in the first place? Then people would at least be forced to make the ONE heading as informative as possible.

This is planned for next software release.

What is planned exactly? Showing the subheadings as before, or disabling the entry field for the subheadings when posting?

Continue showing subheadings for old threads, but disabling entry field for new topics. As you mentioned it's better with one subject line. But that change will be in February.

UPDATE:

1. My Content: Database now fully indexed, so it should now show all topics and post correctly. Please report here if you still have issues.

2. Quick navigation added to bottom of all pages as per request.

3. Minor bugfixes sorted.

And the smilies work OK

If you click on the smilie button, a few show, but if you click on "show all" the other ones do not appear. However, yesterday this feature was working correctly.

In my browsers, Safari, Chrome and Firefox they show up. What browser and version are you using, UG

Sorry to hear subheadings are being eliminated permanently. As stated before, I see that as a dumbing down. So boo on that!

OK, this is clearly a done deal, but here is what I would suggest as better. Keep the subheading functionality, continue to display the top heads only as presently because it looks cleaner, but have the subheadings appear instantly if you mouse over the headings. That way you can get a little bit more info on the topic before deciding to commit to a full click.

Edited by Jingthing

UPDATE:

Compressed the top of topic pages (the page you are looking at when reading this) as per multiple requests.

Moved paging and buttons inside the blue bar. Please report if you see any problems with this. It's been tested in multiple browsers (but we tend to use the newest versions so oldies not tested as much), with and without paging.

Two issues:

(1) In the list of forum thread titles (e.g. http://www.thaivisa....m-support-desk/, there is no option to jump to a page higher than "Next." In the old version there were options to jump to 1, 2, 3, 4, ... last, next. Now, just "Next"

(1a) Related: clicking on "Load more topics" doesn't seem to be functional

(2) Going to a user's profile to view their posts only shows five posts. (Presumably it shows that five more recent posts, but not sure)

MIssed this one in the masses.

1. If you click on the text bit where it says [Page x of y] a small popup will appear and you can jump to any page. This should be the same for all paging controls on the forum.

1a. It works fine here, is it still not working for you? It takes a little while to load though, so if you are on a very slow connection it might be better to use the paging instead and load a new page.

Can we please have the Member since: back under the Avatar. This is very useful especially when judging trolls, april fools day and misconceptions.

I also like to know if someone has 10,000 posts and has only been a member for 6 months (mental note to oneself not to read it!)

Edited by maprao

Can we please have the Member since: back under the Avatar. This is very useful especially when judging trolls, april fools day and misconceptions.

I also like to know if someone has 10,000 posts and has only been a member for 6 months (mental note to oneself not to read it!)

You can get this by hovering your cursor over the members name. That is adequate for me.

Wish I could say the overwhelming initial negative reaction was surprising, but I suppose it would have been anticipated by anyone familiar with the usual knee jerks.

By definition a new software release is likely to look and feel different at the start, so some patience and a willingness to spend a few minutes to figure it out helps. On the other hand, as one of the more constructive posters said a few pages back, testing elements of the release with a group of regular TV users might have teased out some of the bugs identified over the past 2 days and also highlighted some of the particularly strong likes and dislikes.

Anyway, for me it has the promise of a marked improvement over the previous version.

I had to reset all my notification options as the change threw them out. I'm still not sure I'm receiving email notifications as per my settings. Using Firefox 3.625.

Edited by Jezz

You can get this by hovering your cursor over the members name. That is adequate for me.

Thanks Cardholder prefer to see it but good enough for me also

On a forum page l don't understand why different topics are in bold and some are not, those of which one tends to ignore or get up close to see.

In BOLD topics you have unread posts, in not bold topics you have read all posts.

OK, thanks. jap.gif

Horizontal scroll bar on a wide screen. Up to 50% horizontal scroll requited on some forums/threads/messages.

Can you give an example url please?

I'll try to find the forum where I saw it.

Also, thanks for fixing the "My Content". Seems to work okay now.

Is the scroll bar always going to show in FF 3.6.25?

Edited by klikster

One thing I like about the new format is that when I hit "Post" after i type a reply, I'm able to copy my post when I sense the great forum God is about to eat it. Couldn't do that before and in 9 cases out of 10 I never bothered to rewrite it.

One thing I like about the last upgrade, which I don't like about this one changing, was the pastel shading of the headers when nested quotes were present. It's a little bit harder to see who said what now.

So, I like to change my signature every week or two. Apparently now the signature can only be 2 lines long? I thought it was constrained by the number of characters? I can't do Dylan justice in only 2 lines. Even the character limit was constraining. Please revert. Thanks.

Oh, and Merry Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Winterfest/Holidays.

Edited by lannarebirth

I had to reset all my notification options as the change threw them out. I'm still not sure I'm receiving email notifications as per my settings. Using Firefox 3.625.

I'm using the latest version of FF, ver. 8...

When I realized I wasn't getting any notification emails post upgrade, I went into my TV settings menu, and likewise, all my email prior notification preferences had been erased. Once I re-entered those values, I started receiving notification emails again.