Thai Provinces Launch Road Safety Centers

webfact

Provinces Launch Road Safety Centers

Many provinces are opening road assistance centers to welcome the New Year holiday.

The centers aim to reduce the number of car accidents during the holiday.

Phitsanulok Governor Preecha Ruangchan presided over the 2011 national accident prevention day event and opened the road accident prevention center.

The caravan for road safety campaign was launched to reduce car accidents during the New Year week, which starts tomorrow until January 4 next year.

Furthermore, Phitsanulok Province has prepared 27 checkpoints for roads and highways.

The traffic police will closely monitor motorists to prevent possible car accidents.

Motorists will be encouraged to wear helmets, fasten seat belts, to drive within the speed limit, to drive only with a license, and not to drink and drive.

The Transportation Office joined hands with the Provincial Police Station of Burirum Province to go over road and traffic regulations with high school students.

More than 100 students volunteered to help the authorities provide the road assistance at checkpoints during New Year Festival.

In Ubon Ratchatani Province, the Subpasittiprasong hospital started a blood donation program to collect blood for car accident victims during the New Year holiday.

More than 2,000 people are injured in car accidents each year. Donors are able to donate blood to help patients every day.

Pattani Governor Theera Mintarasak presided over the opening of the road accident prevention center.

The governor asked the relevant agencies, the private sector, and local administration organizations to enforce and follow the traffic regulations by eliminating risky accident factors such as alcohol.

Each checkpoint and road assistance point will need to work effectively to decrease the number of road accidents.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-12-28

footer_n.gif

They will be "encouraged"?!

Giving orders to wealthier and more important person in Thailand is likely to be counter-productive, worst case scenario it could actually be hazardous to your health.

Such is the arrogance and contempt of the law from the rich and powerful here. Indeed there is a general arrogance and contempt of the law from most Thai motorists.

To highlight this further, we have just passed the one-year anniversary of the young, under-aged driver that killed the 9 people in the minivan on the expressway.

They will be "encouraged"?!

To highlight this further, we have just passed the one-year anniversary of the young, under-aged driver that killed the 9 people in the minivan on the expressway.

That's a darned good reminder.... And not much being said about that case lately... much like the approaching anniversary of the Santika nightclub fire...

Here's a couple of items I could find re the Don Muaeng expressway fatalities..... It seems there was some kind of student event marking the one year anniversary, and some kind of court proceeding is ongoing.

TU Student Mobilizing for 1 year anniversary of Van accident on the Toll Way

http://hilight.kapook.com/view/65922

Eyewitness testimonies will be dragged until May 2012 due to the flood of 2011

http://www.manager.co.th/Crime/ViewN...=9540000164463

Prison is for the poor and Downtrodden?

http://news.sanook.com/1079212/%E0%B...8%88%E0%B8%99/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

this will have a very low attendance and make no difference {quote me on it}, there is only one way to hit thais , and thats in their pockets, they dont give a dam_n about safety , maipenrai

Edited by osiboy

Isn't it a sad fact that Ubon have had to set up a blood donation programme just for the victims of road accidents they EXPECT to be wheeled in.

As per other posts, this is all a waste of time. If ALL drivers and riders in Thailand were encouraged ( read forced ) to pass a proper driving test, wouldn't this be a better idea ?

Maybe it is the rich and powerful who have a contempt for law and just pure ignorance on behalf of all other road users that make driving and riding in Thailand such a hazardous business.

When will a government do something about licensing and road safety ? It's not rocket science. Get a copy of the UK Highway Code and get it translated into Thai. The handbook available at the Licensing Offices here is a farce. The B.I.B. will have a field day enforcing license and driving regulations, but instead of the fines going in their beer fund, put it to good use -- say buy fleets of ambulances or setting up paramedic vehicles........someone pinch me, I must be dreaming ! And, while I'm dreaming, how about the government setting up a Vehicle Inspectorate to control buses and commercial vehicles ? This is my forte so if the government want to contact me to advise them on how and what to do, please message me.....better not hold my breath.

Well it may not accomplish much but it is a start. At least they recognize they have a problem and admit it.

For all you people who have solutions do you not understand that to accomplish them they have to start.

The suggestion to use the codes from Britain or other developed countries is silly. Those countries had to start and there codes did not appear in one day. Witness England they are still after all these years driving on the wrong side of the road.

Quite knocking a start and acknowledge that there is one. And the time scale will not be overnight. Probably years and years but let them start.

There are historical reasons for driving on the left hand side of the road. If the English drive on the wrong side of the road do the Scots, Welsh and Irish drive on the correct side of the road? What about South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Japan? Are they in the wrong too? Perhaps you would enlighten those of us that have always driven on the left hand side what benefits there are to be gained by driving on the right. Your supposition that my country has got it all wrong is as ridiculous as me saying the Americans can't spell or pronounce words correctly.

Thailand, another country that according to you drives on the wrong side of the road, would do well to take the essentials of the UK Road Traffic Act and the Vehicle Construction and Use regulations and implement them. The UK driving test is one of, if not the most, comprehensive and demanding examination of the World. That the difference in traffic accident deaths and injuries between the UK and Thailand do not bear comparison might have something to do with that.

Why the concentration on car drivers puzzles me. I understand that 85% of traffic incidents in Thailand involve motor cycles and of course, booze.

Yes, the local road safety check point in our town is up and ready.

It is located on a 2 lane road on a blind corner ! Traffic has to use only one lane as the check point takes up the other one !

you cant see around the bend and so have to drive very slowly and hope you dont meet a truck or another speeding drunk driver.

the police man and village head watch from their table to see if you will make it safely. On the table is a bottle of brown whisky and some glasses.

Road Safety my arse. huh.png

Edited by metisdead
Font reset.

There are historical reasons for driving on the left hand side of the road. If the English drive on the wrong side of the road do the Scots, Welsh and Irish drive on the correct side of the road? What about South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Japan? Are they in the wrong too? Perhaps you would enlighten those of us that have always driven on the left hand side what benefits there are to be gained by driving on the right. Your supposition that my country has got it all wrong is as ridiculous as me saying the Americans can't spell or pronounce words correctly.

Thailand, another country that according to you drives on the wrong side of the road, would do well to take the essentials of the UK Road Traffic Act and the Vehicle Construction and Use regulations and implement them. The UK driving test is one of, if not the most, comprehensive and demanding examination of the World. That the difference in traffic accident deaths and injuries between the UK and Thailand do not bear comparison might have something to do with that.

Why the concentration on car drivers puzzles me. I understand that 85% of traffic incidents in Thailand involve motor cycles and of course, booze.

Historically horse riders passed each other to the left because most people are right handed and so your sword hand was visible and empty, showing you were a peaceful traveler. Napoleon reversed this, and by briefly conquering Europe enforced this in Europe. America copied its French ally, whilst the British colonies and allies stayed on the left.

Wear seatbelts!!!!!!!, well best they inform their own how to use them, see the BIB many times without seatbelts on.

Do the same as many other countries, where a nominated driver gets free soft drinks whilst the others party. Or get the owners of pubs to do something to stop people from driving after drinking in their premises.

The other day close to my work I witnessed two motorcycle taxi drivers drinking beer around 11am, they had a few then continued to ferry passengers from the area to Mochit BTS station.

Edited by beano2274

Maybe they can start with a campaign that every vehicle should have lights when it is dark !.Drive 10 minutes on Thai roads and you cannot count the motocycles with no lights,big trucks with nearly no lights and cars with white backlights l-looking like they come to your direcion..What a contrast with buses who looks more like a circus with all their lights in different colors.I do not think that lights are so expensive in Thailand ,Think it has more to do about being lazy. Being seen avoids accidents

Well it may not accomplish much but it is a start. At least they recognize they have a problem and admit it.

For all you people who have solutions do you not understand that to accomplish them they have to start.

The suggestion to use the codes from Britain or other developed countries is silly. Those countries had to start and there codes did not appear in one day. Witness England they are still after all these years driving on the wrong side of the road.

Quite knocking a start and acknowledge that there is one. And the time scale will not be overnight. Probably years and years but let them start.

Is it a start, or just more meaningless words? I believe they have said similar things in years past and to what effect? It did not seem to change anything, the driving actually seems to be getting worse.

Historically horse riders passed each other to the left because most people are right handed and so your sword hand was visible and empty, showing you were a peaceful traveler. Napoleon reversed this, and by briefly conquering Europe enforced this in Europe. America copied its French ally, whilst the British colonies and allies stayed on the left.

Thanks for the explanation.

Yes most of the countries England raped drive on the left side.

As for adopting English codes what a laugh. First you have to have a decent infrastructure.

Secondly the amount of deaths on the road as compared to England has a fair amount to do with the availability of medical care immediately after a accident.

Then as some one pointed out there is a lot of the accidents involving motor bikes.

On a per capita rating the amount of tourists who think they can ride one because the countrie they come from has stringent conditions and a good infrastructure is quite high.

To be perfectly honest I think people who think it can all happen right now are at the most short sighted and at that i am being charitable.

They have made a start. Give credit for that. Might not be what you or I want but it is a start.

Remember you are in Thailand and for them to even admit they have a problem is a good start.

I could be wrong maybe you are not in Thailand just on the outside throwing rocks.

Edited by hellodolly

Thanks for the explanation.

Yes most of the countries England raped drive on the left side.

As for adopting English codes what a laugh. First you have to have a decent infrastructure.

Secondly the amount of deaths on the road as compared to England has a fair amount to do with the availability of medical care immediately after a accident.

Then as some one pointed out there is a lot of the accidents involving motor bikes.

On a per capita rating the amount of tourists who think they can ride one because the countrie they come from has stringent conditions and a good infrastructure is quite high.

To be perfectly honest I think people who think it can all happen right now are at the most short sighted and at that i am being charitable.

They have made a start. Give credit for that. Might not be what you or I want but it is a start.

Remember you are in Thailand and for them to even admit they have a problem is a good start.

I could be wrong maybe you are not in Thailand just on the outside throwing rocks.

Obviously an English hater! Better if you concentrate on your own countries many shortcomings and atrocities, past and present.

Maybe you also missed the fact they drive on the left in Japan and like Thailand they were not colonised by the English either.

It may help your knowledge somewhat to read what tourist guides for motorists say about the Thai road infrastructure. Your opinion seems to contradict them but maybe you know better?

It would be far better to utilise the UK Highway Code although not introduce it in toto but over a planned period.

The availability of medical care immediately after an accident would not have the impact you imply. However, all occupants wearing a seatbelt and motorcyclists/passengers being forced to wear a 'proper' crash helmet would. The scrap metal found littering the car repair bodyshops bears testament to the severity of many 'accidents'.

In most cases the driver who causes an accident does not get prosecuted. Why? For the simple reason the BiB give them the opportunity to 'pay a fine' so then they can then forget about it. To my personal knowledge the fine was I understand 10,000 baht. That I was without my car for 3 months with no compensation was neither here nor there.

"A lot of accidents involving motorbikes"! Only approximately 85% seems rather more than a "lot" to me allied to the fact fatalities are proportionate.

You obviously have a very short term memory. The use of mobile phones was banned while driving or riding a motorbike. What effect has that had? Therefore admitting they have a problem proves nothing as law enforcment only comes into play at the end of the month.

As long as those responsible for enforcing the basics ignore them themselves then having the best infrastructure in the world will make no difference at all..

Edited by Anon999

Slightly off topic but most English haters seem to be Americans, so why have they retained the old British "Imperial system" of weights and measures, come to that why have they retained the English language, howbeit a rather corrupted version? tongue.png

Back on topic, much of the English "Highway code" is not mandatory, some is but most is advisory, common sense advice. Part of the British driving test involves knowledge of this code, you could say this is a test of one's common sense. This is why you could not introduce this code in Thailand, the majority of drivers could not pass this test, the majority of drivers lack common sense.

It is not simply that the BIB do not enforce the rules, the most basic rule in driving is to drive defensively, but in a status riddled society, this would be a loss of face, rather one drives aggressively to demonstrate one's status.

this will have a very low attendance and make no difference {quote me on it}, there is only one way to hit thais , and thats in their pockets, they dont give a dam_n about safety , maipenrai

First thing first.

Thai Highway Police has to be reorganized in Thai Highway PATROL.

Having been involved with Highway Patrol in California, Arizona and Nevada I learned that to keep on top of the Highway vehicle movement the Patrol Officer has to drive at Hiway Speed to see that the traffic flow is moving at Hiway Speed, and looking at the traffic ahead for any other driving violations in which case he radios the motorcycle officer that is ahead about what is going on. The motorcycle (more able to move in the traffic) officer will then flag the vehicle in question over to stop in the parking strip.

I see Thai Highway Police in their car crawling along in the Emergency Parking strip (POLICING). Please tell me Thai Highway Police how do you gauge if the traffic flow is moving at Highway SPEED while you are crawling along? IMPOSSIBLE.

If you care to look in the Dictionary POLICING has nothing to do with PATROLLING.

PATROLLING: a regular tour made of a place in order to guard it or maintain order …

Patrolling maintain order. What order? On the Highway, that drivers maintain posted Highway Speed.

CHP (California Highway Patrol) on the Hiways running in buildup areas has one Patrol Officer in a car assisted by two Patrol Officers on special CHP equipped Honda motor cycles. The car is for when needing to block the road in accident cases or transport a driver to the office for further booking. Not like the Thai Highway Police were 3-fat-asses are sitting in an air-conditioned car (Toyota, Nissan, Honda, no standardization) crawling along the Emergency Parking Strip. Were the Hiway runs through the wide-open spaces (Desert areas) only patrol cars are used. Arizona and Nevada follow this same procedure.

Rome wasn’t built in one-day, neither will educating Thai and farang drivers, when Highway Patrol has firmly been established take another serious vehicle violation in Thailand; TAILGATING.

For every 25-KPH speed with today’s Antilock Brake Systems requires one (1) car length for stopping (on a dry road surface). At 100-KPH Highway speed requires a minimum of four car lengths to stop and you are right up the rear bumper of the car in front of you. So better give yourself a little extra space, just in case.

Painting blocks on Royal Road-7 to show distance required at 120-KPH means absolutely nothing to Thai and farang drivers, they regard them as a JOKE, they know there is no Highway Patrol Officer anywhere near to see if they are maintaining that distance.

When drivers in Thailand, Thai and farang alike, get it, that the highways are being PATROLLED. Move on to the next serious vehicle violation in Thailand. FREQUENT LANE CHANGES. At highway speed drivers must not exceed 3-lane changer/Kilometer highway length. Any more than three and you are cruising for a bruising. You can see the result daily on the Thai Highways.

One item at a time, not like as the case is now, attack everything at the same time and nobody knows were s/he stands and it all is passed off as a JOKE. And a JOKE it is when you see drunk drivers at a checkpoint being told “Drive Slowly”. While the minimum must be, Park the car, take the Driver License, and let him find his own way wherever he is going. Never mind if there are people in the car that are sober. They should have insisted wherever they started, that they must drive. Not the drunk, just because he owns the deadly 2-ton “projectile” (car).

Years ago an acquaintance, CHP Captain …………….. was requested by Thailand to come to evaluate and recommend. After observing traffic in Thailand for a month his recommendation was; “Lawless society with no hope of immediate improvement or the near future”. How long the near future was he never said, but now we are 20-year further down the Pike with lots more Hiways and motor vehicles and no improvement because the Thai different governments have been, and are unwilling, to take the “Bull by the horns”.

I think you're quite right that at least they recognise the problem and are trying to do something about it. Sorting out the problems with ineffective under paid and under resourced police would help. Laws need to be enforced for them to work.

I like your comment about the English driving on the left clap2.gif. I'm guessing you may be from the USA?

I don't think using the UK Highway code or similar guidance from other countries is a bad idea although it might need altering to suit the country and would take time to be accepted. It's obvious that road safety is better in what you might call more developed countries and in fact there is a thread regarding this on TV at the moment Thailand has a similar population to the UK but I would say is more crowded and the death toll is under 2000 for the UK and maybe about 14000 in Thailand although some say not all deaths are reported.

Even in western countries there are differences, some of which surprised me. This is a quote from a BBC news story http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15608217

"In fact, the Association of British Drivers (ABD) says despite the UK's motorways being significantly busier than other European motorways, there are far fewer fatalities.

In 2009, there were 1.2 fatalities per billion vehicle-kilometres on Britain's motorways - roughly on a par with Swiss motorways, according to figures quoted by the ABD.

In Denmark, that figure rises to 2.5 and Austria 4.2, and in the US it stands at 4.5."

This is all very complex and seems odd when you see the much closer proximity of traffic in the UK compared to USA and Thailand, the 2 places I have most experience of. Maybe that closeness breads care maybe not.

Ultimately it's down to Thais to decide how many people, mostly Thai and a lot of children, they are prepared to lose so they can carry on as they have done for many years. The last time I said that on this forum someone told me not to try to make Thailand like a western country even though I obviously wasn't. Strangely the person who said it was a farang who'd probably flown in on a plane,liked riding his motorbike, was using electricity to power a computer to connect to the internet to complain to me about westernising Thailand. I'll leave you see the irony in that and hope the Thais change so I, my gf and family are in less danger on the roads.

Safety measures put in place as people get ready to celebrate

The Nation

Authorities in different parts of the country are preparing safety measures and emergency services for revellers and motorists during the New Year holidays.

The Road Safety Centre was officially launched yesterday with Deputy Prime Minister and Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit meeting with relevant agencies to ensure that they work hand in hand and reduce the number of road accidents. Yongyuth said the centre has named the period from yesterday to January 4 as the "seven dangerous days" and will be strictly enforcing safety measures to prevent accidents.

He said the centre had been told to adhere to five main measures: effective management, law enforcement, traffic engineering, public relations and emergency medical service and rescue. In addition, he wants involved agencies to stick to four other measures, namely enforcing law in order to control factors leading to accidents, controlling alcohol consumption, setting up effective checkpoints and reducing accidents on roads damaged by floods.

The police will also keep an eye out for motorists who break speed limits, drunk driving and those not wearing a helmet in areas where celebration events are being held as well as on highways, secondary roads and roads damaged by floods.

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department (DPMD) directorgeneral Wiboon Sanguanpong said he had instructed Provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Offices nationwide to set up accident prevention centres.

Meanwhile, Chiang Mai Governor ML Panadda Diskul has beefed up security at the two countdown venues - Royal Flora 2011 and Thaphae Gate. Provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Offices in Chiang Mai, Lampang, Lamphun and Mae Hong Son have also set up centres to assist motorists.

The Office of Highway 8 has temporarily closed 47 of the 124 Uturns on Mittraphap Road in Saraburi, Nakhon Ratchasima and Khon Kaen to prevent accidents, especially since hundreds of thousands to vehicles will be going down that route to head for the Northeast every day.

Phuket Governor Tri Augkaradecha has also told authorities to work round the clock to protect tourists - especially on New Year's Eve.

Internal Security Operations Command Region 4 Front Archive will also closely check identification cards and licence plates of vehicles travelling past checkpoints in the South to prevent violent incidents.

People can call the 1341 hotline round the clock if they notice anything suspicious.

Police, civil defence volunteers and rescue workers in Songkhla's Sadao district also started patrolling from yesterday in order to ensure people's safety.

As of press time yesterday, four people had died and one was injured from road accidents. One death was reported in Lamphun, while the other three deaths and one injury took place in Phetchabun.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-30

i live in phitsanukok and these checkpoints are useless as the cars just speed by and the people at the checkpoint just watch on, dont no why they even bother with them, is it just to make the people manning them feel important?