Is This A Scam?

noz03

Ok so Im sellign my bike(http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/big-honda-phantom-200cc-140603.html), and I just recently had some messages from a guy who is offering to send me the full asking price through paypal and have a "shipping agent" pick it up at his expense... without even seeing the bike at all! I donno why but this seems kind of strange to me... But then if I receive the money in advance I dont see where the scam is either. What do you guys think??

Here is his last message:

Okay i agree with the price i will pay u cos i know it worth more than it, am on contract work in UK at the moment so The shipping agent will do the pick up of it and all papers work and collection at your location....

I will be paying through paypal is fast and secure as well, i paid last seller on here transferred to his paypal last time i bought a bike and was well good transaction..... You will have full payment with no any charges on payment....

Thanks

If you don't have an account with paypal.... you can Sign-up for one now through Www.paypal.com, is well safe and secure and as soon as you have done that get back to me with your paypal-email, so that i can login soonest to my paypal to complete the payment ok..

I wait your soonest reply....

If u have received full payment in paypal BEFORE the bike is collected...Im not sure what the scam would be...unless he tells paypal he never received the bike...and should have his money back?

Does seem odd he will pay full price without seeing the bike... halmarks and language of a scam....

**confused.** keep us informed!

SCAM SCAM SCAM LINK HERE http://forum.kijiji.ca/about6812531.html SOUND FAMILIAR???

icon_minipost.gifPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:22 pm Post subject: possible paypal scams to avoid through classifieds like here icon_quote.gif It isn't Paypal or Kijiji. I will say that right now. The scam involves someone interested in your item. They will pay the full price without bickering. He/she is very agreeable. Then they say they can't talk to you because they are an oceanographer or an oil driller or something in the middle of no where with email but no phone. Hello skype, msn, there are ways. Anyway he says he will have a shipper or someone come and get it, but then he tells you they won't take paypal only MC an he left it at home. pout pout. Then he asks if he can trust you with sending the money western union to the shipper he will send all the money to you and he will "trust you" to send the money to the shipper. DING DING DINg this is where the bells go off. I am no office girl, buy my item or step off. I did not agree to it. Someone came and bought my item CASH( I love cash). I emailed the guy and said sorry the item is sold. He responded much faster then he did the first 6 times with "Well I sent the money, you must refund me immediately" I checked my paypal there is less then 2 bucks on the account. I checked my email and there was a paypal email there saying it had been sent. On further evaluation I discovered that the email had 2 email addresses, the one is what they want you to see, but when you click on the email another one shows that isn't paypal. Plus if Paypal has a problem with you they will tell you when you are on your paypal account. This is happening alot and if it happens to you forward that official "LOOKING" email to [email protected] and they can take care of it.

Good luck and safe shopping, always remember if it seems too good to be true it probably is.

SCAM SCAM SCAM LINK HERE http://forum.kijiji....out6812531.html SOUND FAMILIAR???

icon_minipost.gifPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 8:22 pm Post subject: possible paypal scams to avoid through classifieds like here icon_quote.gif It isn't Paypal or Kijiji. I will say that right now. The scam involves someone interested in your item. They will pay the full price without bickering. He/she is very agreeable. Then they say they can't talk to you because they are an oceanographer or an oil driller or something in the middle of no where with email but no phone. Hello skype, msn, there are ways. Anyway he says he will have a shipper or someone come and get it, but then he tells you they won't take paypal only MC an he left it at home. pout pout. Then he asks if he can trust you with sending the money western union to the shipper he will send all the money to you and he will "trust you" to send the money to the shipper. DING DING DINg this is where the bells go off. I am no office girl, buy my item or step off. I did not agree to it. Someone came and bought my item CASH( I love cash). I emailed the guy and said sorry the item is sold. He responded much faster then he did the first 6 times with "Well I sent the money, you must refund me immediately" I checked my paypal there is less then 2 bucks on the account. I checked my email and there was a paypal email there saying it had been sent. On further evaluation I discovered that the email had 2 email addresses, the one is what they want you to see, but when you click on the email another one shows that isn't paypal. Plus if Paypal has a problem with you they will tell you when you are on your paypal account. This is happening alot and if it happens to you forward that official "LOOKING" email to [email protected] and they can take care of it.

Good luck and safe shopping, always remember if it seems too good to be true it probably is.

ahhh....so that's how they do it

Scam. As with any suspect email, try cutting a sentence or two from it and pasting it into google to see what you get. with an excerpt from your message I got a hit on a discussion thread in another asia-related expat forum http://hongkong.asiaxpat.com/forums/website-problems-feedback/threads/141796/pay-pal-scam/

Yes it is a scam,I have had many of these emails,they are all working offshore and buying for a relative.Send him a reply and you will receive a reply faster than anyone can enter it.

They pay you with paypal and pick up the goods so you have no proof of shipping.Next they will claim that they have not received the goods and paypal will take the money out of your bank account.

You can also take alook here http://forum.kijiji.ca/about6812531.html

Scam. As with any suspect email, try cutting a sentence or two from it and pasting it into google to see what you get. with an excerpt from your message I got a hit on a discussion thread in another asia-related expat forum http://hongkong.asia...6/pay-pal-scam/

JUST SEND THEM A FAKE PAYPAL ACCOUNT AND TELL THEM IT DIDNT ARRIVE Many good sites on the net who will play these wan***rs at their own game. 916 scambaiting is one although this is slightly different. best to waste their time ask stupid questions tie them up for weeks. Set up another e mail and ask them to use that as you think the FBI are onto you etc, any crap

Don’t know Op………My mate sold his bike, guy just sent money and asked for the bike to be delivered! He was a little worried as well, (my mate) Funny thing. No con, all went well. If you look hard enough you will always find fault……..Up to you.

Don’t know Op………My mate sold his bike, guy just sent money and asked for the bike to be delivered! He was a little worried as well, (my mate) Funny thing. No con, all went well. If you look hard enough you will always find fault……..Up to you.

One born every minute............... bet the scammers juts love people like "your friend"dry.png

I sold my Harley last year on E-Bay (US) and the buyer also wanted to pay using paypal. I think that it being through E-bay it might be a little better regulated. Using it person to person like this and having read the e-mail I'd drop it like a red hot poker.

I do have a paypal account and use it to buy small items, 50 bucks or less. But tranfering the five figure amount for a Harley, no way. The buyer desperatly wanted my bike so I got him to Fed-Ex a certifed cheque to me, the bike was held by the Harley dealer in my hometown untill funds were cleared and the shipment took place. Both parties happy.

Never use PayPal with unknown individuals, only with companies or individuals whose name you recognise and trust.

PayPal payments can be reversed and you have absolutely no come-back on it.

Can you elaborate a bit on that last sentence.

You might think that a credit on your PayPal account is money in the bank but it isn't. It can be removed by them at any time (or indeed they can freeze your account) and you would find it extremely difficult to correspond with them about it.

Accepting money via PayPal is very similar to having Visa/Mastercard merchant status; you basically sign all your rights away and rely on PayPal to do the right thing. Unfortunately they dont have a good track record on this.

That message was not written by an British person.

Wat eva maid u sujest dat.

Yep plenty of Nigerians are now British citizens whistling.gif ..

Au contraire. The use of 'well' in the 'scammers' response would indeed suggest a native English speaker. Albeit a well fit, tattooed lad, probably from north London, fresh out of Wormwood and needing some fast cash.

Note this phrase in the email:

... get back to me ...

Don't ask me why, but these specific 4 words appear in millions of scam emails. It's almost as if they have all been written by the same person.

(If you don't believe me, try checking a few, known scam emails).

Whenever I see the words ' get back to me' in an uninvited email, the last thing I will do is to get back to them!

Simon

Ok I dont have time to read all the posts in detail because Im on the way out right now but would just like to update you all and get some suggestions on what to do with this guy.

So I asked him to call me to talk about the details, at first he ignored my request and I asked him again (btw I already knew it was a scam but just wanted to play it out). Finally he called me today what what seemed to be skype, he had a thick accent which I can assume to be African, possibly Nigerian haha. Anyway, he told me he will send the payment today and asked me to check it, and then give him the address for the shipping company. He called back again 15 minutes later and told me he had sent the payment.

I get home, check my mail, and see an unverified (all paypal mails are verified on hotmail) mail from an address that looks slightly but is not exactly paypals service email address. Of course I checked my paypal account and found nothing.

SO, what do you think I should do? I was thinking to give him a wrong address just to waste his time, but... I doubt he has the brain to do anything to me but he does have my telephone number and email address so Id rather not get involved. I will of course report it to Thai visa but I do not want to get involved with Thai police at all. Any suggestions? He's waiting my reply now and will probably call me if i dont soon.

Ok I dont have time to read all the posts in detail because Im on the way out right now but would just like to update you all and get some suggestions on what to do with this guy.

So I asked him to call me to talk about the details, at first he ignored my request and I asked him again (btw I already knew it was a scam but just wanted to play it out). Finally he called me today what what seemed to be skype, he had a thick accent which I can assume to be African, possibly Nigerian haha. Anyway, he told me he will send the payment today and asked me to check it, and then give him the address for the shipping company. He called back again 15 minutes later and told me he had sent the payment.

I get home, check my mail, and see an unverified (all paypal mails are verified on hotmail) mail from an address that looks slightly but is not exactly paypals service email address. Of course I checked my paypal account and found nothing.

SO, what do you think I should do? I was thinking to give him a wrong address just to waste his time, but... I doubt he has the brain to do anything to me but he does have my telephone number and email address so Id rather not get involved. I will of course report it to Thai visa but I do not want to get involved with Thai police at all. Any suggestions? He's waiting my reply now and will probably call me if i dont soon.

yeah...waste some more of his time...you think he will come looking for you if u give him a wrong address?

Tell him you appreciate the payment and give him a wrong address,just a few digits wrong like the wrong Moo number.Then wait for him to call you back.

Perhaps it's a scam, perhaps not. Up to you to decide whether or not to proceed.

As far as PayPal, I have purchased and sold items as large as cars and boats on the internet and used PayPal as the funds broker and have never had any issues related to the transactions. I have done this both on domestic and international transactions.

As far as reversing PP transactions, the work around is that once the funds have hit your PP account and have cleared, transfer those funds to your personal bank account prior to releasing the goods for shipping. PP can't remove funds from your account that are not there.

Perhaps it's a scam, perhaps not. Up to you to decide whether or not to proceed.

As far as PayPal, I have purchased and sold items as large as cars and boats on the internet and used PayPal as the funds broker and have never had any issues related to the transactions. I have done this both on domestic and international transactions.

As far as reversing PP transactions, the work around is that once the funds have hit your PP account and have cleared, transfer those funds to your personal bank account prior to releasing the goods for shipping. PP can't remove funds from your account that are not there.

Your Paypal account always need to be linked to a bank account or credit card,so if something wrong paypal will charge the nak account or credit card.

The OP clearly stated that he got a fake email from paypal and there was nothing in his real pp account so not so difficult to establish if it is a scam or not.

LOOK ON 419 scam baiters...............how many times do I have to tell you, you will get plenty of ideas off there, keep it going for weeks, the best one there was in the Namib desert I think it was.

Heres the address http://www.419eater.com/html/hall_of_shame.htm see photos of the retards faces

Edited by travelmann