Dtac Wave Aircard Not 3G Compatible?

BuffaloRescue

I think the aircard is 3g able but can they give you a 3g sim or only a edge/gprs sim? What plan are you using? At any rate it may be 384k after a little as 1 to 5 gb of download depending on the plan you paid for. It seems 3g able but dtac is only edge/gprs (tot) is 3g with this on 2100mhz? - if it is unlocked get a tot sim for it. I don't have one yet but have been working though this confusing mess getting ready to buy one on Wed this week if I can get a handle on it myself that is.

• รองรับความเร็วสูงสุด ในระบบ 3G(HSDPA ) 3.6 Mbps
  • รองรับ EDGE/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900MHz (DTAC, AIS, TRUE)
  • รองรับ 3G/UMTS 2100MHz (TOT)
  • ใช้งานง่ายผ่าน USB Port
  • มีโปรแกรมและไดร์เวอร์ในตัวเครื่อง(ไม่ต้องใช้ CD)
  • ใส่ Micro SD Card เพิ่มได้สูงสุด 8 GB
  • สามารถส่ง SMS ผ่านโปรแกรมได้
  • มีเมนูเสริมสำหรับ เช็คยอดเงิน เติมเงิน เช็คยอดอินเตอร์เน็ต จากโปรแกรมได้
  • รองรับ Windows 2000 SP4, XP SP2, Vista (32+64 bit), 7 or Mac OS X (Mac OS 10.4, 10.5)
  • ประกัน 1 ปี ศูนย์บริการ DTAC

Your DTAC Aircard Wave 153 supports 2100 Mhz 3G ONLY. DTAC operates 3G on 850 Mhz.

http://www.totalaircard.com/products/DTAC-Aircard-Wave-153.html

Hence no DTAC 3G for that card. It would support TOT's 3G service on 2100 Mhz. I guess you could get another aircard which supports 850 Mhz 3G.

DTAC does have 3G coverage in/around SBIA.

I assume you have a DTAC SIM, and have subscribed to a DTAC data plan.

Edited by lomatopo

Love it.

DTAC sells a 3G card which cannot be used with DTAC 3G.

This is Thailand.

Sounds about right

Why do the pr1cks have to make this so hard to understand?

Its like with mobile plans in Australia - cap this, pay $100 for $1000 credit etc etc. Its all <deleted>. Consumers dont want to know all the technical ins and outs just want something that works for a reasonable price

Ive got 4 of these huawei modem things 3 in australia and one in thailand. Only my dtac edge one works with mac. Anyway they are all locked

Is there anotehr manufacturer i dont like huawei. Cant i just buy a one thing fits all air card thats mac compatible, and unlocked giving me the freedom to try different networks etc to see which works best for me at my location?

Are the ones you buy at retail not the phone company locked also they advertize all these options for providers, are they locked so you have to pick one? At the price ranges of these aircards I think one should buy the one that does everything then get the sim they need to suite the area they are in for the time - that was my plan anyway.

If I travel where there is 3g and the aircard is not locked I can switch to a temp sim from true or what ever with paid 3g. This is why so far I am looking into the ifox 685 - does it all at up to 7.3mb and then use a cheap dtac sim around home for now.

Well maybe I will just have to get the cheap one for edge and not worry about 3g at all.

The price differance seems to be 700 baht, 1390baht for the ifox and 690 baht for a low end aircard that is edge only. I will plug this into an old PC with IpCop router firewall installed to make a LAN/wifi at home and put it in my laptop when away from home. I hope to be rid of IpStar by the following week - happy days.

It might be worth mentioning that some 3G USB keys can be unlocked very, very easily especially the Huawei ones (e.g. the E160 model). You basically can get the unlock code free from a multitude of web pages. Some others are notoriously difficult to unlock (ZTE).

In the western world such keys can be obtained for almost nothing with 3G prepaid plans. Use the initial prepaid online time while you're there and bring it back to Thailand - unlocked. That's what I did with a Huawei key I had for less than 10 euros from SFR (Vodafone). I've been very happy with its performance while in Thailand (unlike BuffaloRescue apparently), although I must admit I have used it on True and AIS networks only, not DTAC.

Edited by Lannig

Love it.

DTAC sells a 3G card which cannot be used with DTAC 3G.

This is Thailand.

My sense is that this card is a few years old and was sold by DTAC when all they offered was GSM data (2G:GPRS/EDGE). It was sold as a GSM-data only mobile broadband solution. DTAC only launched 3G in August, 2011.

DTAC now sells a number of 850 Mhz-3G capable aircards, including a newer version of the 153:

http://dtac.co.th/aircard/newwave153.php

Edited by lomatopo

I heard that at Swampy you cannot use the free WIFI without a password and login, which is obtainable at the information desks, and only for 15 minutes.

Hint: try sitting next to the doors of the business class lobbies downstairs. Several freely available wifi networks are usable from outside.

Edited by Lannig

• 2 weeks later...

yeah. With Dtac Wave 153 you can surf 3G only with TOT (2100mhz). Now is out the Dtac New Wave 153, almost identical, that can surf 3g also at 850 mhz, so with Dtac too. I own the old one. Anyone knows if can just a firmware upgrade do the magic?

Many thanks.

PS: of course in the shop when buying ppl says 3G? yes!! mai pen rai..

• 3 weeks later...

Ive got 4 of these huawei modem things 3 in australia and one in thailand. Only my dtac edge one works with mac. Anyway they are all locked

Is there anotehr manufacturer i dont like huawei. Cant i just buy a one thing fits all air card thats mac compatible, and unlocked giving me the freedom to try different networks etc to see which works best for me at my location?

Huawei modems are the best! Best quality and super easy to unlock. Just go to a-zgsm dot com/huawei.php (sorry I may not post links yet), scroll down that page enter your modem's serial number (so-called "IMEI" printed on the back) and you'll immediately get your unlock code. Then insert a SIM from another operator into your modem, put in into your computer and launch the dashboard software (usually called "Mobile Partner" if not branded by your operator) and right after you've been asked for the SIM's PIN code it will ask for the unlock code, which you've obtained from aforementioned site. After you've entered the unlock code your modem is unlocked.

You may also consider downloading a firmware and a dashboard update for your Huawei device from dc-files dot com

The firmware update may improve your modem's performance while the dashboard update will replace the dial-up software which is stored in your modem by the original, neutral one from the manufacturer (Huawei Mobile Partner) - usually you already have this software but in a renamed, branded and often crippled version from your operator. Running this dashboard update and replacing the operator-branded software is also called debranding.

For Thailand visitors I would recommend buying a Huawei E182e (supporting UMTS at 850, 900, 1900, 2100) or a Huawei E1823 (supporting 850, 1700, 1900, 2100) - these two support download bandwidth up to 21 MBit/s and support a lot of UMTS frequency bands. The difference between these two is that the firstmentioned supports UMTS900 which is common in Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia and NZ while the E1823 supports UMTS1700 instead. UMTS1700 is also called AWS (Advanced Wireless Service) and is only used in the USA (notably by T-Mobile) and Canada (Wind Mobile, Mobilicity, Videotron, Shaw, EasLink) - so you should make your choice between these two depending on where you travel mostly.

Edited by inquisitor

Thanks for the interesting info Inquisitor.

I'm considering getting 3G at some stage - I may go with CAT 'unlimited' MyClick at 590B a month. In the event I go over the 4GB monthly 3G CAT limit, I'd like to be able be able to top up on a PrePay plan with another provider (e.g. True).

Are the 3G modems typically locked to a particular provider? Or could I buy say a CAT modem and swap in a True SIM if I wanted to do a pay as you go top up? (or by the same token, buy a True modem and use it for CAT 3G access).

Yes, Inquisitor, thanks. We are always on the look-out for quad-band (850/900/1900/2100 Mhz 3G) aircards as they allow the most flexibility, specifically between AIS/One-2-Call on 900 Mhz and TrueMove H/CAT - DTAC/Happy on 850 Mhz.

The Huawei E182e also has the external antenna connection which will appeal to many here in more rural areas.

I have not seen this model here, if anyone has could please link a source to buy it? Or any quad-band air-card for that matter.

Most branded air-cards sold here are unlocked but maybe best to buy an unbranded one which will worl on some/all networks. TrueMove H and CAT-My are essentially the same physical network so any 805 Mhz card would work on either/both networks.

Inquisitor,

Also, add my thanks for the E182e info. Nice of you to post this.

Iomatopo,

Looked today on pantipmarket.com and a E182e was listed for 1899 baht.

Please, a general question. I believe CAT, in the past, has used their own branded modems. Has this now changed?

Inquisitor,

Also, add my thanks for the E182e info. Nice of you to post this.

Iomatopo,

Looked today on pantipmarket.com and a E182e was listed for 1899 baht.

Please, a general question. I believe CAT, in the past, has used their own branded modems. Has this now changed?

CAT used to operate a CDMA2000 1x EV-DO mobile broadband network which required specialized air-cards and phones. That network is nearly obsolete, and CAT is pushing their new 3G network which operates on 850 Mhz. They do sell some equipment; not sure how 'branded' it is? http://www.mybycat.com/product1.html

Yes, it looks like several places in Panthip may sell this Huawei E182e. http://www.pantipmarket.com/items/11757993 , Morgan Computer, floor 1

Other Huawei quad-band air-cards:

E372

HiMini E369

Edited by lomatopo

After finding out that AIS run UMTS on their 900 MHz spectrum, the Huawei E182E is obviously the best choice for Thailand (or any other device supporting UMTS at 850, 900 and 2100 MHz - be aware that GSM 850 does not mean the device support UMTS 850!). Afaik the external antenna connector on the E182x-family is just for Rx-diversity and so will not improve the uplink.

These are all GSM/UMTS operators and their frequencies I could find out:

• AIS:
    GSM 900, GSM 1800, UMTS 900
  • TOT:
    GSM1900, UMTS 2100
  • DTAC:
    GSM 1800, UMTS 850
  • TrueMove:
    GSM 1800, UMTS 850

Media reports sound like there will finally be an auction for 2100 MHz spectrum soon: Google Bangkok Post for "Mobile operators praying for 2.1-GHz decongestant"

I expect all operators except for TOT to bid for some spectrum in order to increase 3G capacity. So 2100MHz-compatibility is a must for the future!

Edited by inquisitor

Actually this is not about upstream speed but about the problem that the device will completely lose reception if the uplink signal doesn't reach the cell tower anymore. Despite your device may be able to "hear" the cell tower it may not be able to register on the network because your device speaks too quietly so the cell tower can't hear it anymore. User devices can only emit their signal with a few mW, the cell tower however has fast more transmission power. So there is an inbalance in transmission power making the uplink the bottleneck. That's why an external antenna should also be user for transmitting and not just for receiving.

Actually this is not about upstream speed but about the problem that the device will completely lose reception if the uplink signal doesn't reach the cell tower anymore. Despite your device may be able to "hear" the cell tower it may not be able to register on the network because your device speaks too quietly so the cell tower can't hear it anymore. User devices can only emit their signal with a few mW, the cell tower however has fast more transmission power. So there is an inbalance in transmission power making the uplink the bottleneck. That's why an external antenna should also be user for transmitting and not just for receiving.

Good to know, do any air-cards provide and external antenna connection which supports both Tx and Rx?

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any multiband 3G modem with a fully working external antenna connector.

OK, thanks.

It seems like some people (based on a very cursory review of threads in technical forums like Howards, etc.) do notice an improvement in download speed when using an external antenna. And I believe many people here experienced improved performance using external antennas with CAT CDMA2000 1xEV-DO, but perhaps those air-cards do allow for both Tx and Rx?

It sounds like, with "Rx Diversity" when you plug in an external antenna to continue to use the internal antenna for transmitting, but you enable a switch which allows the external antenna to be used for receiving, at least on the Huawei gear.

Yes, an external antenna will usually improve download speeds even if you have full reception. The data throughput in HSPA networks is very sensitive for reception quality - just google for "Receive diversity helps maximizing throughput in HSDPA networks" for an detailed article on how important diversity is for HSPA. Despite modern 3G modems mostly having already an integrated second antenna for diversity the improvement from diversity increases when using a detached external antenna. This is like watching a soccer game in a stadium - if you watch it alone you may not see the ball all the time due to the heads of the spectators in front of you obstructing your view. If you have a friend sitting next to you, he may see the ball sometimes even when you can't see it as he has a slightly different perspective and so together you see more from the game but sometimes you will still both miss the ball. If you have a really tall friend sitting in another block of the stadium (an external antenna) it is very likely that together you will see the ball all the time. I hope this example is understandable.