Village pack dogs

georgegeorgia

I have put this in the isaan forum because this is where it's happened twice !!

Over the past few years I have been to see my friend in a small village near Wan Non , 

Both occassion I walked by myself to the local temple to look around.

First time was ok some dogs barking and tried to surround me and nip me but I managed to get away.

Second time a few years later and walked around the village again by myself and went to the temple ,now this is in a rural area and I thought about the first time but this time I didn't see any dogs but....I could hear dogs barking in the background far away .

20 minutes later I'm leaving to see a pack of dogs surrounime.

About 8 of them , barking ferocious and one attempting to snap at my legs .

At that moment a monk driving a motorcycle with sidecar stopped and  ushered me on.

I quickly got on and as I was getting on one dog tried to jump on me and bit my foot .

The monk took off quickly

I wanted to go back and shoot these dogs 

How do you guys who live in village handle this? Do these dogs get to know you after awhile ?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

If you are calm and act like you are not bothered by them they usually just get bored and leave you alone after the initial barking. 

Exactly. Thai dogs can smell fear. 

Also, it's to do with the way you walk. I can tell a foreigner a kilometre away by the way he walks. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I have never carried a stick as I feel it's not needed.

I carry a pocket full of dog treats. I toss some at any of dogs that come my way. Actually I hold some out in my hand and try to coax them to come and get a treat. However most are too scared or timid to come near me so I have to toss a few pieces their way.

Once they get a taste of a treat they leave me alone or follow me hoping I will give them more.

If a dog appear aggressive towards me I just bend over and pretend I am picking up a rock. That deters most but on occasion I pretend to throw a rock at them and they usually go running off.

I have been walking city areas, back sois, and rural areas for nearly 20 years and I have yet to have an issue with a dog I couldn't handle. I have however been bit by a cat about 8 years ago.,

I walk with our dog, so they may not be interested with or deterred by treats.  Usually local or rural, so not much of a problem, as I do get to pick my spots.

Only in Krung Thep do I need to be a bit more careful & resourceful.   Though surprisingly, have encountered so few dogs there, and most behind gates/walls.   When and if, myself & dog are strolling & looking for those elusive green spots.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I also carry a blade, so nothing will end badly for me or my dog.  Common sense, know your surroundings & prepare for the worst.  I have one walking stick that is actually a sheath, for the sword inside.   A bit of overkill though.

Using common sense works fine.  

Wow !

Love that kind of walking stick !

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

When and if, myself & dog are strolling & looking for those elusive green spots.

I never understood how someone could have a dog in a large city with nowhere for it to roam free, especially those folks who live in apartments/condos.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I never understood how someone could have a dog in a large city with nowhere for it to roam free, especially those folks who live in apartments/condos.

Apartments are good enough for people, but not dogs?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Agree 100%   We struggle just finding a place for her to do her business, as usually won't on concrete.   Big consideration when choosing a hotel, need some green or be near/walking distance.

Don't think I'd have a dog if living at Krung Thep, just ain't right, and not of fan of little pocketbook dogs.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Agree 100%   We struggle just finding a place for her to do her business, as usually won't on concrete.   Big consideration when choosing a hotel, need some green or be near/walking distance.

Don't think I'd have a dog if living at Krung Thep, just ain't right, and not of fan of little pocketbook dogs.

Yes I agree with you both. The urban environment is not a natural one for dogs. If dogs could speak, I'm sure they would say 'give me the country life any day'. I get your your comment about struggling to find a suitable place for your dog to 'visit the loo' @KhunLA.

Dogs are, apparently quite fussy about where they like to 'go'. When they have the choice of a natural environment, they will be quite discreet. Despite the high number of dogs in our village, a dollop on the pavement is a very rare sight. Unlike buffalo!

• Like 1

Dogs in my area don't seem to bother with me. If I am out walking, I tend to have a long scythe/sickle with me lol (I'm not sure of its exact name. It's about 180cm in length). I carry it as I am usually chopping some branches down or getting some fruits off the trees. I've met many packs of dogs while on my travels (without looking like some sort of grim reaper), but have yet to experience ones trying to bite me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Apartments are good enough for people, but not dogs?

Do people like to run around and chase birds, squirrels, or other critters?

Do people like to go around sniffing areas and then take a whiz or chit leaving their mark everywhere/anywhere?

• Like 1