Another Tuk Tuk Driver Assault

madmitch

Some places the locals actually have morals, integrity and decency. And actually make an extra effort to ensure that they are properly cared for.

In which tourist haven in the developing world are these altruistic taxi drivers? I'd love to meet them!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup.

'Anywhere in the world...' this is nonsense. Some places yes, others, most certainly not.

As for the 'barmat' quote. Are you familiar with the Australian mother of four who had a barmat placed in her bag, was arrested, charged and thrown in prison in phuket, was detained for 14 nights, 4 of which were in prison before being released on bail, a condition of which was to surrender her passport and faced 14 weeks of being unable to leave and return to her husband and four young children. And faced 5 years of imprisonment for it until the Australian government got involved?

Are you also aware of the 2 dutch tourists who were beaten to a pulp by Phuket tuk-tuk drivers last year, and upon taking the claim to the police were told that the tuk-tuk guys would likely lay counter charges that would involve imprisonment for the tourists until (and if) bail would be granted, at which point their passports would have to be surrendered while the court cases would be dragged out for as long as possible?

That Australian mother even admitted to the theft. The Dutch guys were not beaten to pulp.

Sounds like you have heard of certain things but really don't know the details, just the gossip,

We're going OT though, the thread was about an attack by tuktuk drivers, not about an Australian mother who stole a barmat.

just fyi, the Aussie mother had to admit the offense as a deal to finish the craziness and return home to her children. The people who put it in her bag came forward and admitted it during the early stages of the investigation, while she was in prison. Of course the RTP didn't care, and certainly weren't going to lose precious face over it, so she remained in detention, was then bailed and threatened with a lengthy case and 5 years imprisonment.

The lesson is to be very careful with Thai officials, especially the police, especially the police in Phuket. Remember that black British guy Simon Burrowes held in prison for 3 weeks and threatened with a 2 year sentence for 'being rude' to an immigration official upon (trying to) fly out of Phuket, it took him 3 months before being able to leave, during which time he lost his job and rented apartment... you probably don't though.

Edited by hehehoho

Yup.

'Anywhere in the world...' this is nonsense. Some places yes, others, most certainly not.

As for the 'barmat' quote. Are you familiar with the Australian mother of four who had a barmat placed in her bag, was arrested, charged and thrown in prison in phuket, was detained for 14 nights, 4 of which were in prison before being released on bail, a condition of which was to surrender her passport and faced 14 weeks of being unable to leave and return to her husband and four young children. And faced 5 years of imprisonment for it until the Australian government got involved?

She did steal a barmat, she placed it in her bag, and she wont do it again. Here in Phuket

From your post referring to a "guest", I assume you run a hotel or something?

If so, shouldn't you be finding good taxi drivers and recommending all your guests use one of these?

Not hard to point out the possible problems with tuk tuks and arranging taxis for them. There are a few taxi drivers out there that will pick up passengers at pretty much any time (as long as they are warned in advance). Yes, they will charge more if they are needed at odd hours, but surely that is better than facing the possibility of an argument and then being attacked?

I use a very reliable taxi service, thank you.

But Patong to Karon on New Year's Eve? Only two options, I'm afraid and they took the wrong one as they didn't fancy the walk.

The guy who was assaulted has been to Chalong Police Station today and will ring the Australian Honorary Consul tomorrow.

From your post referring to a "guest", I assume you run a hotel or something?

If so, shouldn't you be finding good taxi drivers and recommending all your guests use one of these?

Not hard to point out the possible problems with tuk tuks and arranging taxis for them. There are a few taxi drivers out there that will pick up passengers at pretty much any time (as long as they are warned in advance). Yes, they will charge more if they are needed at odd hours, but surely that is better than facing the possibility of an argument and then being attacked?

I use a very reliable taxi service, thank you.

But Patong to Karon on New Year's Eve? Only two options, I'm afraid and they took the wrong one as they didn't fancy the walk.

The guy who was assaulted has been to Chalong Police Station today and will ring the Australian Honorary Consul tomorrow.

I made the mistake once of getting v pissed and losing track of time... Not realising it was 2 a.m. I 'phoned my regular taxi guy ohmy.png !

Amazingly, even though when I realised the time I assumed he would not turn up, and started walking home - he not only turned up but recognised me as I was walking along the road!

As I say, you need to find GOOD taxi drivers for your guests.

Thai financial logic,too many tuktuks, not enough customers to keep them all busy, so charge big bux for every ride just to make a living.

Perfectly logical as more tuk tuks mean more fees for the controllers.

Which is why the number of tuk tuks and black taxis keeps increasing.

Yup.

She was pissed and nicked it herself.

I hate this monkey business in Thailand that the operators try to rip off tourists. Recently I heard that some taxis in Bangkok cheat tourists by upgrading the metre system to increase the fares without your knowledge. However, you are able to notice as the normal metre light doesn't blink. If you see a red dot keeps blinking it means you are being scammed. mad.gif So, watch out guys!!! - you could be paying more than the normal rate. It could be triple.

And the same thing will happen to you as a tourist anywhere in the world. As a tourist you are prey.

No, not anywhere and everywhere. Some places are worse than others. Phuket would be in the running for a global worst contest in that regard.

stevenl showing his usual symptoms of the 'i close my eyes and block me hears and scream nanananana as hard as i can' He's doing it to convince himself, just ignore his comments. There's always a few poor farangs in the tourism industry trying to defend thais because its that or mcdonalds nightshift manager back home.

Even if tourist are doing asses out of themselves they dont deserve what they get it. In an other country where people are civilized they would get a small beating at worst. Usualy the would just be sent to jail for a night.

Edited by thaiIand

stevenl showing his usual symptoms of the 'i close my eyes and block me hears and scream nanananana as hard as i can' He's doing it to convince himself, just ignore his comments. There's always a few poor farangs in the tourism industry trying to defend thais because its that or mcdonalds nightshift manager back home.

Even if tourist are doing asses out of themselves they dont deserve what they get it. In an other country where people are civilized they would get a small beating at worst. Usualy the would just be sent to jail for a night.

He, what happened to the rose tinted glasses accusation? Now I even have my eyes and ears closed, lol. No need to get personal BTW, not nice.

Have you ever considered that some people actually have a different view than you do?

Thai doesn't have plural BTW, so 'farangs' should be 'farang'.

Edited by stevenl

there is no view outside that tuktuk and taxi drivers are bad here and are levels ahead with the scamming and violence compared to their brothers in non-sociapathic countries, stating the oposite of this just means you're being an *sswi** and have no respect for all the pain and suffering that thousands of people are going through every year in vacation because all you care about is that 30 000baht check at the end of the month

there is no view outside that tuktuk and taxi drivers are bad here <snip>

And yes, their reputation is no good, but most of them are nice, honest people. Not many are hardworking though.

And yes, unfortunately the few bad ones keep going at it and reinforcing their reputation with unacceptable behaviour.

Good post ICEMAN, a fair assesment of what is happening now in Phuket..the Rich get richer and its the Cartels who are causing these problems lets stop making excuses for them they are the CAUSE...and there is no SOLUTION....because everyone is s.cared of them....

It's not the individual drivers that are all bad, it is the organisation and that certain "influential person" on the island who receives "fees" to allow them to collude to set an unreasonable price for their service. Transport is an essential service, like medical, education, water, electricity etc etc. It should be properly administered by authorities.

Agree with you there, although, 'nearly all individual drivers are nice and honest' would be better than 'they're not all bad'.

"Thailand is feudal. The family of the individual tuk tuk driver paid to get him in the industry, so, he gets 1, or may be 2, jobs a day, at 200 baht minimum and thats more than a days wages for someone cleaning rooms all day, cooking farang meals all day, waiters and waitresses etc etc. Tuk tuk driving is a good job here because it's big money for 20 minutes work a day."

Yes, tuktuk driving is a good job here.

"As more and more families want a good job for their son/brother/cousin etc - there will be more tuk tuks, then, the Thai business model comes into play, takings are down, so put the prices up. The 200 baht minimum journey will go to 250 baht one day and this will just keep going on and on. There will be a rise in confrontations, bashings etc and therefore negative publicity about Phuket."

The price is not the issue.

"It is a cartel that is killing people on the island, literally. I dare say an individual tuk tuk driver would have to "toe the line" within the organisation or he'll be punished."

True, but on an individual basis they can and will cross the line.

"To the expats that don't care about transport here because they have a car, and feel safe in that car, remember, due to the lack of transport here, many ride or drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or both, because they refuse to be ripped off by the tuk tuks. They could crash into you and either kill you, injure you or damage your property, and if they are Thai and die, it's your fault and you will have to "mediate" through your lawyer and the police to pay compensation to the deceased's family. This is not small money."

The reason given for driving drunk me be the lack of a decent public transport system, but that does not mean it is the real reason, and IMO it is not. Simply habit and human nature.

Your assessment of 'farang pay' is very much not true.

"Locals, tourist and expats all have a vested interest in trying to get proper and affordable public transport on the island. Phuket is becoming the laughing stock of the world with global headlines of "tuk tuks blockade American warship" etc etc etc etc.

It's just not sustainable tourism. People will refuse to come back to Phuket when they realise they paid more for 10 minute journies here and there, then they paid for their 4 Star hotel for the 10 nights they were on the island holidaying.

It's gives off a negative vibe as soon as you walk out of the exit door of the airport and it's there everyday of your holiday.

The current situation is doing untold damage to tourism here, not to mention the death, disability and injury it's causing. No individual is responsible for it, but you have to look at the bigger picutre."

The 'negative vibe' may be your opinion/idea, not much point in discussing that. I feel a different vibe though when I land here.

Many returning guests as well, so 'people refuse to come back' may be true for some, but for many, many it is not true.

there is no view outside that tuktuk and taxi drivers are bad here <snip>

And yes, their reputation is no good, but most of them are nice, honest people. Not many are hardworking though.

And yes, unfortunately the few bad ones keep going at it and reinforcing their reputation with unacceptable behaviour.

there is nothing honest about white plate taxis and minivans. they are black taxi cheaters

there is nothing nice and honest about the organised crime owned tuk tuk drivers, those with large yellow plates, both owners and drivers are crooks

so the majority of above businesses are crooks

as we have seen in addition some of them are also very violent

It's not the individual drivers that are all bad, it is the organisation and that certain "influential person" on the island who receives "fees" to allow them to collude to set an unreasonable price for their service. Transport is an essential service, like medical, education, water, electricity etc etc. It should be properly administered by authorities.

Thailand is feudal. The family of the individual tuk tuk driver paid to get him in the industry, so, he gets 1, or may be 2, jobs a day, at 200 baht minimum and thats more than a days wages for someone cleaning rooms all day, cooking farang meals all day, waiters and waitresses etc etc. Tuk tuk driving is a good job here because it's big money for 20 minutes work a day.

As more and more families want a good job for their son/brother/cousin etc - there will be more tuk tuks, then, the Thai business model comes into play, takings are down, so put the prices up. The 200 baht minimum journey will go to 250 baht one day and this will just keep going on and on. There will be a rise in confrontations, bashings etc and therefore negative publicity about Phuket.

It is a cartel that is killing people on the island, literally. I dare say an individual tuk tuk driver would have to "toe the line" within the organisation or he'll be punished.

To the expats that don't care about transport here because they have a car, and feel safe in that car, remember, due to the lack of transport here, many ride or drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or both, because they refuse to be ripped off by the tuk tuks. They could crash into you and either kill you, injure you or damage your property, and if they are Thai and die, it's your fault and you will have to "mediate" through your lawyer and the police to pay compensation to the deceased's family. This is not small money.

Locals, tourist and expats all have a vested interest in trying to get proper and affordable public transport on the island. Phuket is becoming the laughing stock of the world with global headlines of "tuk tuks blockade American warship" etc etc etc etc.

It's just not sustainable tourism. People will refuse to come back to Phuket when they realise they paid more for 10 minute journies here and there, then they paid for their 4 Star hotel for the 10 nights they were on the island holidaying.

It's gives off a negative vibe as soon as you walk out of the exit door of the airport and it's there everyday of your holiday.

The current situation is doing untold damage to tourism here, not to mention the death, disability and injury it's causing. No individual is responsible for it, but you have to look at the bigger picutre.

iceman, your best post ever, spot on

and as for violent drivers, a mafia organised transport industry allows drivers to be violent and then protect them

Agree with you there, although, 'nearly all individual drivers are nice and honest' would be better than 'they're not all bad'.

"Thailand is feudal. The family of the individual tuk tuk driver paid to get him in the industry, so, he gets 1, or may be 2, jobs a day, at 200 baht minimum and thats more than a days wages for someone cleaning rooms all day, cooking farang meals all day, waiters and waitresses etc etc. Tuk tuk driving is a good job here because it's big money for 20 minutes work a day."

Yes, tuktuk driving is a good job here.

"As more and more families want a good job for their son/brother/cousin etc - there will be more tuk tuks, then, the Thai business model comes into play, takings are down, so put the prices up. The 200 baht minimum journey will go to 250 baht one day and this will just keep going on and on. There will be a rise in confrontations, bashings etc and therefore negative publicity about Phuket."

The price is not the issue.

"It is a cartel that is killing people on the island, literally. I dare say an individual tuk tuk driver would have to "toe the line" within the organisation or he'll be punished."

True, but on an individual basis they can and will cross the line.

"To the expats that don't care about transport here because they have a car, and feel safe in that car, remember, due to the lack of transport here, many ride or drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs, or both, because they refuse to be ripped off by the tuk tuks. They could crash into you and either kill you, injure you or damage your property, and if they are Thai and die, it's your fault and you will have to "mediate" through your lawyer and the police to pay compensation to the deceased's family. This is not small money."

The reason given for driving drunk me be the lack of a decent public transport system, but that does not mean it is the real reason, and IMO it is not. Simply habit and human nature.

Your assessment of 'farang pay' is very much not true.

"Locals, tourist and expats all have a vested interest in trying to get proper and affordable public transport on the island. Phuket is becoming the laughing stock of the world with global headlines of "tuk tuks blockade American warship" etc etc etc etc.

The current situation is doing untold damage to tourism here, not to mention the death, disability and injury it's causing. No individual is responsible for it, but you have to look at the bigger picutre."

The 'negative vibe' may be your opinion/idea, not much point in discussing that. I feel a different vibe though when I land here.

Many returning guests as well, so 'people refuse to come back' may be true for some, but for many, many it is not true.

You may not feel the "negative vibe" walking out the airport door, but that is because you are experienced in living here. Spare a thought for the first time tourist, possibly even their first overseas experience. As soon as they walk out of the airport door, they are bombarded with touts, scammers, and chaos. So, they eventually get in an "airport limo" and get ripped off.

Later in their holiday, they meet an expat who tells them not to catch tuk tuks, don't hire a jet-ski, don't talk to timeshire touts and how they got ripped off at the airport. This makes them feel dissatisfied and cheated. It doesn't wreck their holiday, but now they are guarded at the markets etc etc and their overall sense of wellbeing is effected as it's human nature to resist being ripped off.

Then, they realise without catching a tuk tuk, they have no freedom of movement to explore this beautiful island. So, now they are becoming critical of Phuket and seriously question why they are being quoted the same cost as their hotel for the night to be taken a few kilometres up the road. Now they are thinking not all is well in Phuket paradise.

Remember, one happy customer tells no one. One unhappy customer tells about 10 people.

Phuket is making a lot of holiday makers feel unwelcome, dissatisfied and cheated. They go home and tell a lot of people, all around the world. Also, many negitive incidents make global news, which just turns people off even more.

Add to this the fact that neighbouring countries are expanding their tourism industry, at a rapid rate, and Phuket still sees no need to fix the tansport issue, and many other issues, so they can be competitive against them. It's just not good business.

As stated, the wealthy Phuket Thai's who control the island are not leaving a sustainable income in tourism (their legacy) to their children and their children's children.

Edited by NamKangMan

IMO your perception of the experience of the average tourist is completely different from reality (which is of course my perception smile.png).

The average tourist isn't coming back after they experience the Phuket transport mafia horror show.

IMO your perception of the experience of the average tourist is completely different from reality (which is of course my perception smile.png).

The average tourist isn't coming back after they experience the Phuket transport mafia horror show.

The average first time to Phuket tourist is not expecting "transport" to be the biggest cost of their holiday. They are expecting accommodation, alcohol and activities to be their major expense. Not the cost of getting to Bangla Road and home for nights out and then to various beaches, view points, temples and monuments. They are not expecting that this will be the biggest expense of their holiday and they know it shouldn't be.

Edited by NamKangMan