Paying Hired Help Via Internet

Our gardener and his wife have a Krung Thai bank account with ATM. They will be watching over our home while we are in the US for the next few months, and we would like to deposit money directly into their account while we are gone.

We have an internet account with Siam Commercial Bank, but when trying to transfer money into a 3rd party bank, SCB sends a one-time password via SMS. As we'll be in the US, we won't have access to our Thai mobile number SMSs during that period (or, is there a way?).

We have an account with Krung Thai (not yet internet-enabled), but the staff there said we'd be faced with the same SMS problem.

So, the question is: Does anyone know how to transfer money from an existing Thai bank account (we have accounts with BB, SCB, and Krung Thai, but only the Krung Thai is currently internet enabled) into a 3rd party's Krung Thai bank account?

set up the transfer info before you leave & can use internet banking from usa

Sadly that won't work, the bank send a one-time password by SMS each time you want to do a transfer, without access to their Thai mobile they won't be able to see the SMS.

If you enable roaming on your Thai phone will it work in the US, I know mine does in the UK.

Sadly that won't work, the bank send a one-time password by SMS each time you want to do a transfer, without access to their Thai mobile they won't be able to see the SMS.

If you enable roaming on your Thai phone will it work in the US, I know mine does in the UK.

You are wrong - once it is set up within SCB's system it works everytime without a new OTP - maybe that's why its called one time - I know this cos my SCB works this way all the time

Edited by psmith

You are wrong - once it is set up within SCB's system it works everytime without a new OTP - maybe that's why its called one time - I know this cos my SCB works this way all the time

Are you sure this is true for transfers to a 3rd party bank? If so the problem is solved :) Perhaps our OP could test with a small transfer.

I don't use SCB, but my BKK Bank system sends an SMS every time I do an online transfer.

A one-time password is called one-time because it only works one time, you need a new one for every transaction.

As an alternative our OP could set up a regular transfer to the gardener and adjust any over / under payment on his return.

Are you sure this is true for transfers to a 3rd party bank? If so the problem is solved smile.png Perhaps our OP could test with a small transfer.

I don't use SCB, but my BKK Bank system sends an SMS every time I do an online transfer.

A one-time password is called one-time because it only works one time, you need a new one for every transaction.

I send to my brother in law to Krung Bank every month without a problem - I also have a BKK bank account and have sent 2 amount to myself at SCB within the last week. No OTP needed at any point of transfer. Therefore I kindly suggest that One time is for one time only.

I have never had a password problem when making external payments/transfers from either bank. SCB for 2y6m & BKK Bank 5 years

Edited by psmith

a Thai sim card will work internationally if you turn roaming on. you can purchase one over the internet. Just go to google and type in "How to buy a Thai sim card" you can top it up online as well, then you can use that when making your transfers.

"A one-time password (OTP) is a password that is valid for only one login session or transaction. OTPs avoid a number of shortcomings that are associated with traditional (static) passwords. The most important shortcoming that is addressed by OTPs is that, in contrast to static passwords, they are not vulnerable to replay attacks. This means that, if a potential intruder manages to record an OTP that was already used to log into a service or to conduct a transaction," he or she will not be able to abuse it since it will be no longer valid""

Therefore it is only used 1 time (to set up details) and it is not able to be used again.As the payee is now in the banks system there is no need to reset him/her everytime and a transfer can be made without ant passwords once in the account.

a Thai sim card will work internationally if you turn roaming on. you can purchase one over the internet. Just go to google and type in "How to buy a Thai sim card" you can top it up online as well, then you can use that when making your transfers.

Our OP will also need a phone that works on the US GSM system, not all do :(

psmith, evidently there is something different in the way our BKK Bank online banking is set up, but that doesn't matter. We await our OP coming back to say if he has tried a couple of small transfers to verify that his OLB works the same as yours.

<p>

...........I send to my brother in law to Krung Bank every month without a problem - I also have a BKK bank account and have sent 2 amount to myself at SCB within the last week. No OTP needed at any point of transfer. Therefore I kindly suggest that One time is for one time only.

I have never had a password problem when making external payments/transfers from either bank. SCB for 2y6m & BKK Bank 5 years

With bangkok bank (my experience), the FIRST time you add a new account (BKK or other thai bank), the OTP is implemented to ADD the account.  Then you must use OTP again on the first transfer of the added account (you cannot use it on the mobile the first use).  Then after this first successful transfer, the same account does not prompt OTP.

If you have a tri-band or quad-band GSM phone, you should be able to receive SMS and even phone calls from the thai sim.  You may have to setup roaming with carrier first before you leave thailand or call customer service to get it done.  You can have someone test your phone, or use gmail sms feature.  Skype has a paid sms feature.

Edited by 4evermaat

When setting up a new third party account to receive a funds transfer, BKK Bank requires a One Time Password via SMS to confirm the 3rd party account; and also another OTP for the first transfer to that account. Thereafter, no OTP's are required for transfers to that account. So, the OP can set up using Bangkok Bank, but make at least one transfer in TH before leaving if you don't want to take the TH mobile phone with you. However, as other posters have noted, if you have intl roaming on your TH mobile phone, then you can receive your SMS messages anywhere in the world.

When setting up a new third party account to receive a funds transfer, BKK Bank requires a One Time Password via SMS to confirm the 3rd party account; and also another OTP for the first transfer to that account. Thereafter, no OTP's are required for transfers to that account. So, the OP can set up using Bangkok Bank, but make at least one transfer in TH before leaving if you don't want to take the TH mobile phone with you. However, as other posters have noted, if you have intl roaming on your TH mobile phone, then you can receive your SMS messages anywhere in the world.

but but but .................... the OP has a SCB Bank a/c

Luckily he also has a BB account according to the OP :)

Luckily he also has a BB account according to the OP smile.png

SCB & Krung !! No Bangkok according to 1st post

(we have accounts with BB, SCB, and Krung Thai, but only the Krung Thai is currently internet enabled)
(my bold).

Seems it's not yet OLB enabled though.

Our OP has a number of options, probably wise to hedge his bets and set up with all accounts.

(we have accounts with BB, SCB, and Krung Thai, but only the Krung Thai is currently internet enabled)
(my bold).

Our OP has a number of options, probably wise to hedge his bets and set up with all accounts.

I apologise didn't read properly

(my bold).

I apologise didn't read properly

Not an issue :)

I'm 95% sure my BB account sends an OTP every time I do a transfer, but I don't use it that often. We have another user suggesting that it doesn't so I could be mistaken also.

Such is life, if nobody made errors it would be most boring.

I faced the same problem using OUB - having to get a OTP sms for each transfer. I went in to see them and discovered that they also provide a "security device" which is one of those little oval-shaped "number producers" - viz it produces a number every time you depress, that is required to effect a transfer. See if you bank can provide this as an alternative, as I'm sure many have found the sms OTP to be inconvenient.

I never expected all these replies in such a short time! Thanks to everyone. I called SCB's help line....spoke with someone who spoke perfect English.......he said: When I initially set up the Krungthai account, I will have to activate it with a OTP. Once I do that, I will be able to do the transfer online from the US without an SMS. That'd be sweet!

I'll go ahead and set up the account, do a mini-transfer to test it out.

Thanks again for everyone's help/suggestions.

I never expected all these replies in such a short time! Thanks to everyone. I called SCB's help line....spoke with someone who spoke perfect English.......he said: When I initially set up the Krungthai account, I will have to activate it with a OTP. Once I do that, I will be able to do the transfer online from the US without an SMS. That'd be sweet!

Exactly as was said - no problems doing it that way

Exactly as was said - no problems doing it that way

I strongly recommend taking your sim/phone with you just in case. You can also test by hoping over to border country before making longer trip.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Update:

I went through the steps of setting up a non-SCB account for transfer, but cannot receive a OTP over my mobile phone (1-2 Call). My mobile phone is working, I receive/make calls, and a bank manager even sent a test SMS from his mobile phone to mine, no problem. But when I use the SCB-easy online service to establish the link, I have to request a OTP. I go through the whole process.....but my mobile phone receives no password. The SCB folks (3 different English speaking reps on their 24-hour line) have not been able to determine the problem.

SCB has no other method of transmitting the OTP.

On Monday, per their suggestion, I will go to my SCB branch and add my friend's mobile number (DTAC) as a secondary mobile number. Then I'll try again and see if the SMS goes through that way.

I easily spent 2 hours on the phone with reps trying to troubleshoot the problem......so far, no luck.

S I G H!

The easiest way is to continue using the sms system, by ensuring the there is funds in your sim account so that an sms can be received abroad. In Thailand when you receive an sms from the bank it's free, but if you're overseas you'll get charged because it's outside Thailand, so you'll in fact be charged to receive the SMS.

So what does it mean? Well it means that you can still receive the SMS using your Thai Sim card. You'll try to make the necessary transfer from your account to Krung Thai, then they'll send you a code via sms to confirm in fact it's you authorizing the transfer, it'll be sent to your sim card which you'll have in the states, you'll get charged for it, and then you'll enter this code into your internet log in.

How do you make sure that you'll have enough funds within your sim during your stay abroad? It probably does'nt really matter, because you can make top-ups via the internet log in, however, you'll need to confirm this (I do online banking only with Kasikorn and they have a huge range of services) is a service provided by your bank.

Other than that I can't see any other ways apart from perhaps setting up some sort of automatic payment, which is deposited into their account without the need for confirmation.

On my Bangkok Bank internet account I have a box with two options: "Activate OTP SMS" and "Deactivate OTP SMS." Currently, the "activate" hyperlink is greyed-out -- but the "deactivate" link isn't.

Anyone know what happens when you click on the "deactivate" link? I doubt it does what it implies -- but that would be lovely.

Also, my wife recently established a 3rd party account via face-to-face hardcopy with a Bangkok Bank clerk. This account is duly noted on her internet BB account. But no transfer has yet been done via her internet account (a transfer was made during the face-to-face account establishment).

Anyone know whether or not a OTP will be required when she does her initial internet transfer with this account?

Dave/Ian ??

Update:

I went through the steps of setting up a non-SCB account for transfer, but cannot receive a OTP over my mobile phone (1-2 Call). My mobile phone is working, I receive/make calls, and a bank manager even sent a test SMS from his mobile phone to mine, no problem. But when I use the SCB-easy online service to establish the link, I have to request a OTP. I go through the whole process.....but my mobile phone receives no password. The SCB folks (3 different English speaking reps on their 24-hour line) have not been able to determine the problem.

SCB has no other method of transmitting the OTP.

On Monday, per their suggestion, I will go to my SCB branch and add my friend's mobile number (DTAC) as a secondary mobile number. Then I'll try again and see if the SMS goes through that way.

I easily spent 2 hours on the phone with reps trying to troubleshoot the problem......so far, no luck.

S I G H!

I had the same problem once at SCB. Ends up the clerk had typed the wrong phone number into my account - off by one digit.

FWIW, the previous posters are correct: you set up the "Other Bank" account with an OTP, make one transfer to it with an OTP, and after that transfers don't require an OTP.

End of Story:

I borrowed a friend's DTAC phone number and had SCB add it to my list of phone numbers (mine is an older model Nokia 1110, with A1S 1-2 call). I went home, logged on to SCB, activated my 'worker's account' using the added DTAC phone number, received an SMS immediately with the OTP. I entered the OTP, thus activating the account.

I subsequently transferred 100 baht into my worker's account, as a test, and did not have to enter a further OTP.

The account is now activated, I can transfer money into that account from anywhere in the world as long as I have an internet connection. Problem solved.

What is not solved is why my Nokia 1-2 Call-enabled phone doesn't receive the SMS (in the past i had no problem). SCB is investigating.

Thanks again for everyone's help.........just to reiterate......You activate a new account with OTP, but then don't need to use OTP to use that account once it's activated.

Sweet.

The easiest way is to continue using the sms system, by ensuring the there is funds in your sim account so that an sms can be received abroad. In Thailand when you receive an sms from the bank it's free, but if you're overseas you'll get charged because it's outside Thailand, so you'll in fact be charged to receive the SMS.

You do not need credit in a sim to receive SMS messages anywhere in world