Thida Calls For Release Of Red-Shirt Defendants

webfact

Call for release of red-shirt accused

The Nation

30173144-01_big.jpg

The red shirts yesterday called on the government to seek temporary release for all defendants in "political cases" and to ensure justice for them.

Thida Thawornseth, who is the caretaker chairwoman of the red-shirt movement, made the call during yesterday's press conference. She said that the government should ensure all defendants in political cases would be granted temporary release while fighting the cases against them.

She also expressed support to the calls for amendment to Article 112 of the Penal Code involving lese majeste. Thida said the debate on the issue should be based on knowledge, and not personal vendetta.

"People who oppose the amendment should tell their reasons. Don't just think that people who want amendment are not loyal to the monarchy," she said.

The red-shirt movement's spokesman, Worawut Wichaidit, speaking at the press conference, dismissed the perception that the attempt to seek amendment to the Constitution was aimed at benefiting fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

He said the proposed charter change was aimed at benefiting the majority of Thai society.

"Thaksin is also a Thai national and he deserves justice. We are not doing this for one person only. We do it for all Thais so that our children and grandchildren will not bicker in the future," Worawut said.

In a related development, militant red-shirt leader Arisman Pongruangrong yesterday met public prosecutors in the northern province of Chiang Mai to surrender in connection with a case he was accused of inciting violence during a red shirts' protest.

After an hour-long meeting, Arisman was released on bail of Bt100,000. More than 50 red shirt supporters were present to offer him flowers and moral support at the public prosecutors' office in Muang district.

A smiling Arisman said that he had no concern with the case and that he was ready to defend any allegations against him.

Meanwhile, the Prachatai website has published a letter from red-shirt leader Surachai Danwattananusorn, calling for freedom for himself and many fellow red shirts still in degtention.

In his letter, Surachai, who is being held at the Bangkok Remand Prison for alleged lese majeste, complained about "double standards" he said was committed by the previous Democrat-led government. He said that while red shirts were sent to jail before court trial, yellow shirts got leniency for "more serious offences".

Surachai also called for an amendment to Article 112. "If I die early, take my body to protest against Article 112 until there is amendment to justice and true democracy in Thailand," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-05

Charter draft signup ready in 2 weeks, vows Thera

The Nation

30173135-01_big.jpg

A signature drive aimed at gathering 200,000 signatures that would open the way for a petition to create a new constitution drafting assembly will be completed by the middle of this month, red-shirt Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship (DAAD) leader Thida Tojirakarn vowed yesterday.

Thida said the move would pave the way for a speedy re-drafting of the 2007 junta-sponsored charter which the red shirts regard as undemocratic.

Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva accused both the red-shirt movement and Yingluck Shinawatra of being in the same movement and working in tandem to rewrite the 2007 junta-sponsored constitution. Abhisit urged both the government and the red-shirt movement to come clean on what they wanted to amend and how they wanted to go about doing it. Failing to do so would amount to the government’s neglect of its duty to tell the truth to society, he warned.

Udomdej Rattanasathien, chief coalition whip, said yesterday that Article 291 of the 2007 charter would be subjected to amendment, paving way for the creation of the Constitution Drafting Assembly (CDA). Udomdej said he expected the CDA to be elected and selected within four to five months time from now.

The selection process of the CDA will likely be similar to the one which drafted the 2007 charter, Udomdej said, adding it would include representatives from all provinces as well sectoral representatives from academia and other sectors. All in all, there should be about 100 CDA members, he said.

Democrat Party spokesperson Chavanon Intarakomalsut said Prime Minister Yingluck should quickly clear the air on what the government wanted to amend and what the process of amendment would be like. The premier should not pass responsibility to the House of Representatives, he said, and stick merely to the comment of ’I don’t know’ as she is the prime minister.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-05

Dear Mrs. Thida, great defender of Thai democracy, I have some questions for you:

What was the democratic process by which you were appointed as head of the "Red Shirts"?

Who are the other leaders?

What is your membership?

What are your policies?

How are you affiliated to the PTP?

What exactly are your proposed changes to the Charter??

How will these changes benefit the man on the Udon Thani omnibus?

How do you define "political crimes"?

Do political crimes include the incitement to arson and those who committed it?

Do political crimes include include using weapons against civilians?

Dear Mrs. Thida, great defender of Thai democracy, I have some questions for you:

What was the democratic process by which you were appointed as head of the "Red Shirts"?

What is your membership?

What are your policies?

It's good that you're asking these questions, but you need to know that she's not gonna come into your living room, sit down with a cup of tea and explain it all to you. Nor is she going to hold a press conference specifically to answer them all.

Your questions are broad and incisive. They're good ones. I believe they have all been answered at various points over the past the couple of years at meetings, press conferences and interviews by the woman herself. The thing is, you need to hunt around and find them yourself as no-one will do it for you. That's if you really want to find out.

You shouldn't be surprised that you don't know these things. The red shirt movement might concern you, but you and others like us, don't really concern them. We are not their target audience so they have not much reason to try and get us to understand.

The Nation and TAN, on the other hand, are very much concerned about us - as their existence depends on us - so they let us know exactly what we need to know. According to the editors, of course.

• Like 1

What is your membership?

What are your policies?

Mrs. Thida - I'm still waiting.

Any of the crimson crew gonna help her out?

What is your membership?

What are your policies?

I don't think she can hear you. Try using capitalized letters. That might help.

What is your membership?

What are your policies?

I don't think she can hear you. Try using capitalized letters. That might help.

Look again at her photo. She is clearly saying "which of you b@#$%rds has stolen my ear horn?"

Fat chance of abolishing the lese majeste law, Thaksin and his friends have a very keen interest in keeping them active for future use.

In that case Thaksin has more in common with the Dems/Army than we thought....

So where did this idea about 'abolishing the lese majeste law' come from? Some quarters of the red shirt movement, I believe, better known to you as 'Thaksin's friends'.

They will keep saying this periodically just in case someone is foolish enough to acknowledge the point, which opens some different avenues for them to protest about on the world stage. And not coincidentally put pressure for their ideas on the government. This is why it is not likely to happen for these very reasons.

Right now they are properly label as criminal cases, of individuals who acted out around a political rally, but not necessarily for political reasons, but for financial ones. Just calling their reasons political doesn't make them so. They were not running for office but trying to bring down someone in office using a multitude of illegal means. The last thing this or any government wants is locked up political prisoners getting world press. By the same token and logic the PAD chargee would all ALSO have to be labeled Political rather than simple trespassing or economic destruction... a even large kettle of rotten fish if they are ALSO re-catalogued.

They will keep saying this periodically just in case someone is foolish enough to acknowledge the point, which opens some different avenues for them to protest about on the world stage. And not coincidentally put pressure for their ideas on the government. This is why it is not likely to happen for these very reasons.

Right now they are properly label as criminal cases, of individuals who acted out around a political rally, but not necessarily for political reasons, but for financial ones. Just calling their reasons political doesn't make them so. They were not running for office but trying to bring down someone in office using a multitude of illegal means. The last thing this or any government wants is locked up political prisoners getting world press. By the same token and logic the PAD chargee would all ALSO have to be labeled Political rather than simple trespassing or economic destruction... a even large kettle of rotten fish if they are ALSO re-catalogued.

The "relabelling" as you call it was not started by the Red Shirts or the present government but is in fact a statement of intent from the TRCT (truth for reconcilliation commission). The one set up by Khun Abhisit, the one whose conclusions he agreed to accept, whatever the outcome. I would agree with you that the last thing this government needs is political prisoners locked up and fully expect those held awaiting trial for heinous crimes like breaking the emergency decree, to be released on bail (at a reasonable level) in the near future. Those accused of more serious crimes will probably be transferred to the new facility away from "normal" prisoners as proposed by the TRCT.

What is your membership?

What are your policies?

It's good that you're asking these questions, but you need to know that she's not gonna come into your living room, sit down with a cup of tea and explain it all to you. Nor is she going to hold a press conference specifically to answer them all.

Your questions are broad and incisive. They're good ones. I believe they have all been answered at various points over the past the couple of years at meetings, press conferences and interviews by the woman herself. The thing is, you need to hunt around and find them yourself as no-one will do it for you. That's if you really want to find out.

You shouldn't be surprised that you don't know these things. The red shirt movement might concern you, but you and others like us, don't really concern them. We are not their target audience so they have not much reason to try and get us to understand.

The Nation and TAN, on the other hand, are very much concerned about us - as their existence depends on us - so they let us know exactly what we need to know. According to the editors, of course.

Yawn, yawn, yawn.

What is your membership?

What are your policies?

Yawn, yawn, yawn.

It is entirely appropriate and expected for a narrow minded red hater to find the suggestion that there is more to the red shirt movement than meets TV readers' eye completely boring and sleep inducing.

Sweet dreams, although I suspect not.

It's a shame for Thida that they didn't include all the Red Shirts as Pheu Thai MP's so that they could enjoy the Parliamentary immunity that their Leaders enjoy.

Like her husband.... .who rather than languishing away at Bang Kwang.... gets to come home and enjoys his freedom with her.

Sucks to be a run of the mill rank and file Red Shirt... .where no one really gives a shit about you.

Edited by Buchholz

It's a shame for Thida that they didn't include all the Red Shirts as Pheu Thai MP's so that they could enjoy the Parliamentary immunity that their Leaders enjoy.

Like her husband.... .who rather than languishing away at Bang Kwang.... gets to come home and enjoys his freedom with her.

Sucks to be a run of the mill rank and file Red Shirt... .where no one really gives a shit about you.

You seem to be fully aware of the feelings of the rank and file Red Shirts, Buccholz, are there many round your way that share their views with you? Enlighten us, are the Red Shirts in crisis?

You seem to be fully aware of the feelings of the rank and file Red Shirts, Buccholz, are there many round your way that share their views with you? Enlighten us, are the Red Shirts in crisis?

The funny thing is, this guy criticized the red shirt leaders for deserting jailed demonstrators, then when they put up the money to apply for their bail, his problem was that they were freeing terrorists.

Whilst pleasuring himself with all kinds of red shirt condemnations, he can't see how his own overindulgence twists the tenor of his thrust inside out, leaving a sense of hollowness and quite probably a slipped discourse.

I think there is a clear need to define 'political prisoner'. When is a prisoner a 'political' prisoner? Especially with the 'difficult' situation down-South just saying 'free political prisoners on bail' is asking for confusion, injustice and double standards. IMHO

PS one of these days I'll figure out the new interface of TV, maybe I'll even be able to reply rather than post

What is your membership?

What are your policies?

Yawn, yawn, yawn.

It is entirely appropriate and expected for a narrow minded red hater to find the suggestion that there is more to the red shirt movement than meets TV readers' eye completely boring and sleep inducing.

Sweet dreams, although I suspect not.

Well perhaps you could share your wisdom and knowledge with an answer to just one of the questions posed:

- What are your policies?

(And it would be wonderful if you would share the long-term red / udd / pt policies which are specifically aimed at creating a society where the majority of Thais have the capability and the opportnity to have a good standard of living through their own productiity, plus the detailed red / udd / pt polices which will significantly reduce the gap. And their specific policies on all Thais respecting the law. (These are specific questions about red / udd / pt policies so please don't retort about what abhisit or the pad did or din't do.)

And as a second point, perhaps you could share the red shirt detailed definition of democracy and their policies specific to building and protecting democracy.

Please share.

- snip -

It's good that you're asking these questions, but you need to know that she's not gonna come into your living room, sit down with a cup of tea and explain it all to you. Nor is she going to hold a press conference specifically to answer them all. Your questions are broad and incisive. They're good ones. I believe they have all been answered at various points over the past the couple of years at meetings, press conferences and interviews by the woman herself. The thing is, you need to hunt around and find them yourself as no-one will do it for you. That's if you really want to find out. You shouldn't be surprised that you don't know these things. The red shirt movement might concern you, but you and others like us, don't really concern them. We are not their target audience so they have not much reason to try and get us to understand. The Nation and TAN, on the other hand, are very much concerned about us - as their existence depends on us - so they let us know exactly what we need to know. According to the editors, of course.

Yawn, yawn, yawn.
It is entirely appropriate and expected for a narrow minded red hater to find the suggestion that there is more to the red shirt movement than meets TV readers' eye completely boring and sleep inducing. Sweet dreams, although I suspect not.
Well perhaps you could share your wisdom and knowledge with an answer to just one of the questions posed: - What are your policies? (And it would be wonderful if you would share the long-term red / udd / pt policies which are specifically aimed at creating a society where the majority of Thais have the capability and the opportnity to have a good standard of living through their own productiity, plus the detailed red / udd / pt polices which will significantly reduce the gap. And their specific policies on all Thais respecting the law. (These are specific questions about red / udd / pt policies so please don't retort about what abhisit or the pad did or din't do.) And as a second point, perhaps you could share the red shirt detailed definition of democracy and their policies specific to building and protecting democracy. Please share.

"to have a good standard of living through their own productiity,"

300 Bhat min wage

Edited by tlansford

300 Bhat min wage

It would be good if it had something to do with productivity.

I believe that it has something to do with "standard of living".

Please, please, please go work for 300 Bhat a day and report back here... Just do it for one day, that's all.

300 Bhat min wage

Please, please, please go work for 300 Bhat a day and report back here... Just do it for one day, that's all.

So it's not "to have a good standard of living through their own productivity".

300 Bhat min wage

So it's not "to have a good standard of living through their own productivity".

Are you back already?

How was it?

tlandsford>> You are off-topic.

I call on all red terrorists - not any innocent bystanders or the cheering crew - to jump in the river and drown themselves.

Afterwards we might take the rest of the organization more seriously.

• Like 1