Yingluck Can't Avoid The Tough Issues Forever

Lite Beer

EDITORIAL

Yingluck can't avoid the tough issues forever

The Nation

30173329-01_big.jpg

Hard as it is, the PM will must speak up on charter reform or public anger will mount and she will suffer for it

2011 was quite forgiving when it came to Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, who virtually walked through a political minefield in a blindfold. Most analysts believe that 2012 will treat her differently although they are unsure whether she will, or should, change her approach. She did it her way last year and she survived, for better or worse. Even though this year represents a bigger test, Yingluck's unorthodox style may still suit it. The only problem, however, is that this is not just about her survival.

To some, she may be a naive nominee of Thaksin Shinawatra. To others, she may be someone whose "innocence" was a mere pretence that is "part of the plan". Truth is, whatever lay beneath the appearance, it worked last year. It got her through the devastating flood crisis and political storms related to government efforts to help her big brother. The alleged drop in her popularity is a myth, because if we ask any pro-Pheu Thai voter to pick the most favourite politician, she is still the first name on the list.

So, the question is simple: Should Yingluck's seemingly effective facade change this year? The Democrat Party has made another call for her to "show respect" to Thais by confronting issues the way a leader is supposed to. The opposition camp demands that she must display political courage and face big political issues instead of avoiding them like she always did last year. To Pheu Thai, it's a matter of "Should she?" To more neutral observers, it may be a matter of "Can she?" rather than "Will she?"

According to the Democrats, 2012 requires a new leadership style from Yingluck, not least because the year will feature several ultra-hot political issues. One of them is the government's campaign to change the current Constitution. The opposition party insists that when it comes to a political matter as big as charter amendment, Yingluck can no longer keep silent or pass the buck to Parliament.

If Yingluck remains evasive on crucial political issues, the public will get confused, and the prime minister will be accused of elaborate cover-up, the opposition said. Yet the public being confused is the least worrying scenario. If Yingluck is seen as acting naive in order to help her brother, the "other half" of Thailand not supporting her will be angered, not confused. She needs to come out and lead a public relations campaign to convince Thais that helping Thaksin is not her government's motive.

The ruling Pheu Thai Party has made constitutional amendment one of its top priorities for this year. Past governments tended to let Parliament take the lead in amending the charter. However, the situation is very different this time, mainly because some proposed changes will be seen as part of a plan to help Yingluck's big brother.

Since new laws and possible changes to the Constitution are required to help Thaksin Shinawatra return home, his fate will be seen as closely related to the government's legislative moves. This is why Yingluck must bite the bullet and stay at the forefront of the

government's legislative agenda and clear any misunderstanding. She has to do it even though some doubters can never change their beliefs. Consequences could be worse if she continues to play the "it's got nothing to do with me" card.

Some analysts believe that Yingluck may be willing to change her style if she can. Her problem is that she remains a political novice who cannot handle grilling on matters as complicated as constitutional amendments. Prime Minister Yingluck still needs behind-the-scenes tutorials on public issues far less complicated, so defending controversial charter proposals seems out of the question.

Despite not being an outspoken prime minister, Yingluck remains the most popular figure in the Pheu Thai camp. It's an irony that the job of explaining controversial issues to the public belongs to one of the least popular members of her government, Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, who did fine last year in drawing political fire to himself while keeping Yingluck shielded. That will be an impossible task when the charter revamp goes into full swing. Yingluck's silence was a strange asset last year. As her political rivals have pointed out, it could become a big liability in the near future.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-08

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Should she?" Of course, she is the PM! This ducking out of any tough decisions is insulting.

"Can she?" No, she is unable to handle any criticism or difficult situation. All she has done so far is smile to the camera and act like a Cinderella. "Please, give me a chance, don't be mean to me" Boohoo...

"Will she? Again, no. She does not even show up for work. She lets Chalerm handle it. What a useless PM.

by confronting issues the way a leader is supposed to.

But she's not a leader, she's just a figure head.

She will survive, persons with power will use her and keep her on stand, they have to have her there till a way can be found to replace her, but at the minute there is not a person to step in-without massive demo's.

But it is pathetic to observe even the supporters are somewhat shy -Yes I am in Issan and it is more noticeable in the mood of the followers. Head to head with figure heads-has to be a no go, whether it's hard talk-BBC or Abhisit, the time when it did occur was an Aussie t.v. interview. it was such a laugh- I felt sorry for her, her answers were a shame on Thailand and it's people. Another male figurehead there in her place (not the runaway) would lessen the party's popularity. and the other one, would bring riots back to the streets.

Yingluck can't

Of course she can't. This was pretty clear since the very beginning.

Now someone please answer me - what is the purpose of keeping her in her position, pay her salary my tax money, and looking at the continuous losing the face of this country to the restof this world?

No any reason except someone's personal greedies.

Even the reduced workload is visibly taking it's toll.

She had no jowls in July, and clearly seems to be wearing down quickly.

Not being cruel on her looks,

but only a comment on looks reflecting stress levels and induced fatigue,

being obvious in the photo above.

Edited by animatic

Past governments tended to let Parliament take the lead in amending the charter.

??

"The last government tended to ... "

Sorry Whybother, I imagine you know what I was puzzled about.

OK, it is an editorial, but in the past, charter changes tended to follow on the heals of a military coup, although not the 1997 constitution. So the statement seems oddly out of place ... even for The Nation...

Past governments tended to let Parliament take the lead in amending the charter.

??

OK, it is an editorial, but in the past, charter changes tended to follow on the heals of a military coup, although not the 1997 constitution. So the statement seems oddly out of place ... even for The Nation...

Nothing is odd for the Nation.

• Like 1

Even the reduced workload is visibly taking it's toll.

She had no jowls in July, and clearly seems to be wearing down quickly.

Not being cruel on her looks,

but only a comment on looks reflecting stress levels and induced fatigue,

being obvious in the photo above.

Good I am not the only one to notice it.

Makes no difference if you do a good or bad job it is still a burden to be carried.

You can smile and ask for patience on the tough questions but inside it is going to work on you.

In all fairness to her it has to be hard to try and run the country and pretend like you are and not your brother.

The best thing she could do now is make a clean break from her brother and try to run the country herself. That would mean getting rid of Thaksin devotees and bringing in some knowledgeable trust worthy people even if you had to cross party lines to get them.

It would also go a long way to bringing unity back to the country.

Just my thoughts

The best thing she could do now is make a clean break from her brother and try to run the country herself. That would mean getting rid of Thaksin devotees and bringing in some knowledgeable trust worthy people even if you had to cross party lines to get them.

A more capable and courageous person could hope to try that (assuming they even wanted to). Unless there is some quality in her competencies and character that has been totally hidden from the world up until now, in her case, this seems an incredibly remote possibility. That was the polite way of putting it.wai.gif Edited by Jingthing

Nothing is odd for the Nation.

I think they are referring to the charter ammendments to the 2007 constitution undertaken before the last election to increase the number of MPs and changing multi seat constituencies to single seat constituencies which were put before parliament.

??

"........ to follow on the heals of a military coup......." I do love a Freudian slip, and that one is simply delicious!

• Like 1

30173329-01_big.jpg

(pointing to Dubai).... You need to ask that man over there regarding my answers to any tough issues.

A Prada sale............and i've got to go to a budget session.

Mick, I keep asking you for links to your posts that show similar criticism of Dem politicians and top brass army personnel. You can start with the GT200 "bomb detector" (the one that Porthip used to analyse the death of the PAD rioter in 2008) and work your way on from there. You can gain credibility any time you want to do so.

30173329-01_big.jpg

(pointing to Dubai).... You need to ask that man over there regarding my answers to any tough issues.

Mick, I keep asking you for links to your posts that show similar criticism of Dem politicians and top brass army personnel. You can start with the GT200 "bomb detector" (the one that Porthip used to analyse the death of the PAD rioter in 2008) and work your way on from there. You can gain credibility any time you want to do so.

Deflect and redirect - classic.

30173329-01_big.jpg

Seems that you are persistent enough to warrant a small reply. Yes, I have made some posts critical of the Democrats and Thai military, instances I specifically recall include submarines and the white elephant aircraft carrier, Suthep's land deals, and encroachment on national parks (pre-July). If you wish further details, feel free to do your own <deleted> homework.

Do you have any posts adding to the subject rather than attacking other posters, at least those who seem a little more enlightened than yourself.

30173329-01_big.jpg

- " 'Attack on free speech' as PM plugs bystander's mouth with arm"

- "PM spearheads new 'Keep Thai Ears Clean' drive"

- " 'Et tu Brute' - Farang's 'Pu Dee' status at risk as PM spots internet critics lurking in shadows"

(I know - pu dee is only for those from UK but I'm using artistic license). Now, back to doing something more productive...

Edited by hanuman1