High Season Now?

Nowadays in Samui it is, "High season and no season."

Still, tourists are around in some numbers, but if you are a merchant or small business owner dependant on tourists, this is as good as it will get all year, and if you don't make a killing now, you're dead later.

By the way, who is the "we" you refer to? Got a frog in your pocket?

post-131397-0-36920100-1325992404_thumb.

May in Lamai

• Like 1

extremely calm on Chaweng? Not at the better hotels. Actually many years there was a always gap at this time because most of the Christmas/New Years guests are gone, while there are still some peak season prices also airlines-wise from the West around and the masses avoiding that and the long winter climate back home did not arrive yet.

Ususally the fullest months are between end of January and beginning of April and mid July to mid September.

It's right on Target. Great Xmas/NY then the dip until the end of January.

Normally it's really quiet now - but right now Mae Nam is heaving.

Interesting to see what happens when the influx begins again in a week or two.

R

• Like 1

Judging from the amount of traffic on roads today, far more than usual for a Sunday.... (I have been between Chawang and Lipa Noi...... ) there must be people staying somewhere! ...cos it is not just locals..... Maenam section of ring road especially busy.... perhaps just Sunday drivers!? smile.png

All of the villas where I live are booked through until end of March.

The more expensive hotels in the Plai Laem/Choengmon area that I have seen are all full to full-ish.

No hire cars available.

I am checking guests in/out every day.

Yes it's high season. I guess that people now are fed up of Chewang. I certainly do not recommend it to my guests. Not the best food on the island and you pay for the rent not the food. Take into account parking issues and rip off taxis. Families are happier going to other places.

Chinese New Year is early this year, and the Russians have just celebrated Christmas (yesterday). January is still buzzing.

All of the villas where I live are booked through until end of March.

The more expensive hotels in the Plai Laem/Choengmon area that I have seen are all full to full-ish.

No hire cars available.

I am checking guests in/out every day.

Yes it's high season. I guess that people now are fed up of Chewang. I certainly do not recommend it to my guests. Not the best food on the island and you pay for the rent not the food. Take into account parking issues and rip off taxis. Families are happier going to other places.

Chinese New Year is early this year, and the Russians have just celebrated Christmas (yesterday). January is still buzzing.

The way I'm reading this, I am imagining a French Maitre speaking.

Christmas to Songkran is when tourist-connected business make the real money. If you don't make money now better rethink the way to make business here in the Samui archipelago

Edited by angiud

Good try Rooo but way off the mark. I am a Brit and most days my job title is shiit shoveler and garbage collector. (With a bit of Hitleresque security guard thrown in.)offtopic.gif Sorry

Sounds a bit like Basil Fawlty.

• Like 1

Good try Rooo but way off the mark. I am a Brit and most days my job title is shiit shoveler and garbage collector. (With a bit of Hitleresque security guard thrown in.)offtopic.gif Sorry

Sounds a bit like Basil Fawlty.

Yes dear! biggrin.pngtongue.png

I was chatting with one of the local restaurant owners here in Maenam this evening, says his business up 30% in last month over same period last year, he's happy about that... both in walk in trade and food deliveries....

His wife who works at a local resort, in Maenam, said they are at 60% booked now, but fully booked though next couple of months....

The Russians are coming.... Russians are coming!!!! ..... that seems to be the largest piece of the pie.... both here in Maenam and from what I have heard Lamai too... The demographics are a changing!

But also according to tour operator I know, so are the Chinese, but they tend to stay closer to home (hotel) on "safe" package deals I think... but like to do day tours off the island, perhaps part of the package.... ?

With the FMP last night, that should perk things up for a while, surprising how many people head over from Samui on the tour boats and come back same night, so as to avoid the Haad Rin crowd.... crazy.gifohmy.png...well for too long anyway!

...they don't avoid the crowd in your sense. Had Rin and nearby was fully booked, many on Samui just go for the party for 800 t/w and are not interested in something else at all and third, more and more tourists just take a sightseeing tour there, just like to the Eiffel Tower, take some photos, dance a little bit, drink a bit and come back to Samui afterwards, without ever considering to stay there

You are right about the russians Jimmy.

I was chatting with one of the local restaurant owners here in Maenam this evening, says his business up 30% in last month over same period last year, he's happy about that... both in walk in trade and food deliveries....

His wife who works at a local resort, in Maenam, said they are at 60% booked now, but fully booked though next couple of months....

The Russians are coming.... Russians are coming!!!! ..... that seems to be the largest piece of the pie.... both here in Maenam and from what I have heard Lamai too... The demographics are a changing!

But also according to tour operator I know, so are the Chinese, but they tend to stay closer to home (hotel) on "safe" package deals I think... but like to do day tours off the island, perhaps part of the package.... ?

With the FMP last night, that should perk things up for a while, surprising how many people head over from Samui on the tour boats and come back same night, so as to avoid the Haad Rin crowd.... crazy.gifohmy.png...well for too long anyway!

Huge party and fireworks on Samrong Beach on Jan 6th. Went on until 1 am.

Quick google and - the Russians are on a different calender. Jan 6 here is Dec 24th in Russia. Jan 6 is Christmas Eve,

No Russian customers in the area where I live before Jan 6th - but quite a few now - until next month. It seems that they stay longer and arrive after our Christmas. My local Italian restaurant said that Jan6/7 were two of his best nights.

It would seem that the model here is

Book a villa

Use the local Russian agent for shopping and organising tours etc

Hit the restaurants and supermarkets

local bars - empty crying.gif

Just an observation

...they don't avoid the crowd in your sense. Had Rin and nearby was fully booked, many on Samui just go for the party for 800 t/w and are not interested in something else at all and third, more and more tourists just take a sightseeing tour there, just like to the Eiffel Tower, take some photos, dance a little bit, drink a bit and come back to Samui afterwards, without ever considering to stay there

Haad Rin and area always "nearly all booked up" every FMP no matter what time of year, just that some people just don't like being forced to have a minimum stay period imposed on them, plus prices that are probably higher than Chawang...wacko.png (?)...

But that said, thousands of people do stay on other parts of KP ..... and enjoy the "more relaxed" atmosphere, of the quieter parts of the Island.... and just get a taxi in and out of HR... during FMP, Black Moon Party or what ever party party party!!!... just to say "been there, done that" !.... that's what the Kiwi's print on their T shirts! smile.png

You are right about the russians Jimmy.

Huge party and fireworks on Samrong Beach on Jan 6th. Went on until 1 am.

Quick google and - the Russians are on a different calender. Jan 6 here is Dec 24th in Russia. Jan 6 is Christmas Eve,

No Russian customers in the area where I live before Jan 6th - but quite a few now - until next month. It seems that they stay longer and arrive after our Christmas. My local Italian restaurant said that Jan6/7 were two of his best nights.

It would seem that the model here is

Book a villa

Use the local Russian agent for shopping and organising tours etc

Hit the restaurants and supermarkets

local bars - empty crying.gif

Just an observation

AHEM . . .

unless UR in Mae Nam which is right now 50% Russian. (Even Gai's Restaurant on the corner of Soi 5 has now got Cyrillic captions in her menu.)

The Russian bar near Lemon's is open and packed till 4am every night and there are between 8 and several hundred of them staying up my soi . . . .

(What's "wotcher mate, you areet then me old mucker" in slavonic??)

Not coming . . . . here already.

drunk.gif

мы идем для большего количества пива не? Да - мы идем ресторан Gai

Edited by Rooo
Fixed Rob's double quote special.

Just an observation

AHEM . . .

unless UR in Mae Nam which is right now 50% Russian. (Even Gai's Restaurant on the corner of Soi 5 has now got Cyrillic captions in her menu.)

The Russian bar near Lemon's is open and packed till 4am every night and there are between 8 and several hundred of them staying up my soi . . . .

OK then, .... the Russians are here, the Russians are here!!!!!!! I know that ....biggrin.pngtongue.png

Hmmm.... not been into Gai's Restaurant, for a while now... should pop in again sometime... wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Just an observation

AHEM . . .

OK then, .... the Russians are here, the Russians are here!!!!!!! I know that ....biggrin.pngtongue.png

Hmmm.... not been into Gai's Restaurant, for a while now... should pop in again sometime... wink.png

Good idea. An excellent few roubles worth.

(And you're quite right about the demigraphics: My Bar next to Soi 1 has two of them now and they're always running upstairs to put different frocks on.)

R

I am not sure this graph is salient to high or low season. It simply shows which nationality used travel agents who are members of the Association of Thai Travel Agents, not what nationalities frequent Thailand.

USA is not even on the graph.

What is does show is that, as one familiar with the subject would expect, that the Chinese rarely engage in independent travel, instead using a travel agent (and most often travel with a group).

What would really be interesting is the statistics from embarkation cards over the past year. That would tell you exactly which nationalities are coming and going and when.

How is Chewang doing now?

If anything - at the north east end of Samui, it is even more crazy than at Christmas.

Every villa rented.

All hire cars booked

All m/bikes booked

Larger hotels in the area - booked

Every day I am getting enquiries from people looking for a villa to rent - usually for 1 - 3 months. There is no let-up in sight until April earliest.

There is a definite move towards villa rentals for multiple months. All nationalities, but eastern european as the largest group

How is Chewang doing now?

If anything - at the north east end of Samui, it is even more crazy than at Christmas.

Every villa rented.

All hire cars booked

All m/bikes booked

Larger hotels in the area - booked

Every day I am getting enquiries from people looking for a villa to rent - usually for 1 - 3 months. There is no let-up in sight until April earliest.

There is a definite move towards villa rentals for multiple months. All nationalities, but eastern european as the largest group

This is great news for villa owners !, as they will start to be yielding some good returns on thier Villas, just hope it doesnt have a backfire affect by them raising thier prices !

anyway, times are changing, and it seems Samui is becoming more upmarket, but reviews i am seeing , clients/tourist have no complaints against thier accomodation ect, but the basics of samui !, if the police sorted out the roads/scams/garbage there is really no reason why Samui could be the leding tourist destination of the world, but you would need a VERY active major who cares about the island , and not his own pocket !

This is great news for villa owners !, as they will start to be yielding some good returns on thier Villas, just hope it doesnt have a backfire affect by them raising thier prices !

anyway, times are changing, and it seems Samui is becoming more upmarket, but reviews i am seeing , clients/tourist have no complaints against thier accomodation ect, but the basics of samui !, if the police sorted out the roads/scams/garbage there is really no reason why Samui could be the leding tourist destination of the world, but you would need a VERY active major who cares about the island , and not his own pocket !

You are right Boater. I would normally see a slow tail off by the end of January. Mind you, Chinese New Year being early might be helping. It's the last bit of your post that is the worry.

However, the current mayor is doing a much better job than the previous administrations. On a scale of 1 - 10, about 11.

After the recent rains - no real flooding in the area where I am - normally the water would be around for a week or two. The government scavenger teams are keeping the road-side litter down and the bin collecting is pretty good (it's the people depositing the rubbish that are the problem now).

Pot hole repairs is now a major industry. Ongoing 24/7 it seems at times.

I am aftraid that the scams will always be with us, but hey - lots more people wearing helmets. (I tell ALL of my renters to wear them. We can make a difference)

I was just in Lamai last night and at least one bar owner (foreigner) and one restaurant owner (Thai) complained of the lack of customers. Sure, there were some people about, but most of the places were nearly empty. It was markedly changed from just a week ago. If the Russians are buying Maenam and Bohput, great. Keeps the south of the island at low season where you can enjoy the uncrowded scene.

Tropicalevo:

However, the current mayor is doing a much better job than the previous administrations. On a scale of 1 - 10, about 11.

Wow, I am nearly speechless...What next? All the taxis are on the meter?

I've heard of hyperbole, but this is crazy....

I was just in Lamai last night and at least one bar owner (foreigner) and one restaurant owner (Thai) complained of the lack of customers. Sure, there were some people about, but most of the places were nearly empty. It was markedly changed from just a week ago. If the Russians are buying Maenam and Bohput, great. Keeps the south of the island at low season where you can enjoy the uncrowded scene.

Tropicalevo:

Wow, I am nearly speechless...What next? All the taxis are on the meter?

I've heard of hyperbole, but this is crazy....

I can only say it as I see it where I live. I will repeat it "the current mayor is doing a much better job than the previous administrations. On a scale of 1 - 10, about 11."

Which of the improvements that I mention did I exaggerate?

Here is a question to the local boys :

I have friends in Hua Hin who advise me not to travel to the islands at this time because of inclement weather , rough high seas and torrential rainfalls .

What is the real scoop -at present and maybe the outlook for the next 2 weeks ?

Will appreciate you first hand accounts .

I have friends in Hua Hin who advise me not to travel to the islands at this time because of inclement weather , rough high seas and torrential rainfalls .

Some friends huh? laugh.png Obviously they would prefer you spend your time and money with them. It doesn't get much better than it is now. Bit of a breeze, hot, but not too hot. Perfect in my opinion!

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/koh_samui