Best Way To Learn

dezy1801

Hi,

Just looking for some advice on where is the best way to start to learn the language. I know some basic words and can understand some of what the Thai people are saying to me but obviously I can't answer them correctly and its frustrating.

I have thought about getting very basic thai books like for children and also I have some books that I got from a thai language school.

I know that you only get back what you put in, does anyone have any experiances they could share and/or any advice on where is a good place to start. I have heard to learn the alphabet is the best place to start.

I look forward to any advice

Thanks

Derek

Are you trying not to go to school? I learned by myself for the first 6 months. I used Teach Yourself Thai to learn to read and for beginner sentences. Then I also used Thai For Beginners and Speak Thai Vol.1. From all of these books I made sentence flashcards that I put into Anki. I then reviewed from Anki on a daily basis. After that I went to classes at multiple schools, studied comic books, movies, songs, facebook and various internet sites. Still studying and still using Anki. My deck is about 4500 cards.

You can learn words yourself, but you can't learn structure enough to be understood by yourself.

Being able to decipher what you are told is worse yet, and require both a good teacher and patience with learning

Edited by poanoi

Learning to read will help to understand new words and how to say them. It's also quite rewarding and fun when you get new words correct.

I know people who memorise word after word. My memory isn't that good.

I was speaking to someone over Christmas and he has managed to learn to read and speaks very well in Thai. I was listening to him speak to my wife and it was brilliant what he's managed in 12 months. I have been learning on and off for 3 years and i'm rubbish.

The only way your going to improve is keep talking to native speakers, they will be able to correct you and it will give you confidents when you see there understanding you.

Don't get dis-heartened; it is a very hard language to learn and everyone struggles. jap.gif

1) Learn Thai characters

2) Learn to read and write

3) Go to class

4) Girls in bars are a useful training resource at minimal cost.

I'm rubbish at languages but Thai is fairly easy, what makes it harder is that Thai language teachers generally have no idea how to teach, and the Thais you will speak with will have no idea of how to lower their vocabulary to your level or slow their speech to a speed you can follow.

Learn set sentences, applicable to dropping into conversations.

Learn the common Thai sayings, there are many.

Download Thai Karaoke songs from YouTube to practice with on your own so you can increase you listening/speaking/reading speed.

Edited by ludditeman

Thanks for advice on this I will start when I get back home in 10 days, I stay upcountry and the only English speaker in the area is my partner so there is lots of options to learn with the locals.

I don't want to go to school as I have never really been one for sitting about a class even when I was at school when I was young, very easily distracted.

I will take all the advice you have given and try and find what works for me think I will start with the music as I do like listening to the Thai music.

I will let you all know in 6 months how I have done hopefully good and any other advice you can input would be wonderful.

Best Regards

Derek

First of all I think it's good you know your learning style. It would be a bad idea to go to school and a classroom situation if you feel that you aren't comfortable in that environment.

Learning with the locals will work, but it's important to let go of prestige and such. When you learn a new language you need to face the fact that you're back at the level of a toddler and you will make millions of mistakes. The locals will laugh but you should never take it personally. If you can laugh with them, you've the best chances of advancing quickly.

Remember, most locals aren't really fit to explain the specifics of their language to you. If you ask them questions about whys and such, the answers will range from completely wrong through partially right to actually right. Most of the time, you'll get an incorrect answer, or an answer that doesn't address the question you asked. This has to do with face-saving. Don't sweat it and don't take anyone's word for gospel.

Even educated native speakers are often not really aware of how their language works, because they have learned the bulk of their mother tongue by parroting, as we all do.

So parroting is what you should do as well.

Where you live is important. If you are not in the Central Plains, chances are your locals will be speaking a different dialect. Isaan Thai, Northern Thai and Southern Thai are the main variations (and they have variations within themselves as well).

They all deviate quite a bit from the Standard Thai norm (which is what Thais are taught at school), so unless you tell the locals you want them to speak Standard Thai (phasaa glaang = middle language) with you, then you'll learn words that may be unknown, or sound funny, outside of the area where you live.

First of all I think it's good you know your learning style. It would be a bad idea to go to school and a classroom situation if you feel that you aren't comfortable in that environment.

Learning with the locals will work, but it's important to let go of prestige and such. When you learn a new language you need to face the fact that you're back at the level of a toddler and you will make millions of mistakes. The locals will laugh but you should never take it personally. If you can laugh with them, you've the best chances of advancing quickly.

Remember, most locals aren't really fit to explain the specifics of their language to you. If you ask them questions about whys and such, the answers will range from completely wrong through partially right to actually right. Most of the time, you'll get an incorrect answer, or an answer that doesn't address the question you asked. This has to do with face-saving. Don't sweat it and don't take anyone's word for gospel.

Even educated native speakers are often not really aware of how their language works, because they have learned the bulk of their mother tongue by parroting, as we all do.

So parroting is what you should do as well.

Where you live is important. If you are not in the Central Plains, chances are your locals will be speaking a different dialect. Isaan Thai, Northern Thai and Southern Thai are the main variations (and they have variations within themselves as well).

They all deviate quite a bit from the Standard Thai norm (which is what Thais are taught at school), so unless you tell the locals you want them to speak Standard Thai (phasaa glaang = middle language) with you, then you'll learn words that may be unknown, or sound funny, outside of the area where you live.

Thanks meadish_sweetball, I live in Sakaeo and will be happy to learn the local dialect as I plan to live there for as long as I can.

1) Learn Thai characters

3) Go to class

I'm rubbish at languages but Thai is fairly easy, what makes it harder is that Thai language teachers generally have no idea how to teach, and the Thais you will speak with will have no idea of how to lower their vocabulary to your level or slow their speech to a speed you can follow.

Download Thai Karaoke songs from YouTube to practice with on your own so you can increase you listening/speaking/reading speed.

I'd be careful about point 4 above - if you spend too much time with bargirls, your spoken Thai that you have picked up from them will mark you out immediately, to any educated Thai, as a farang of "a certain kind".

Buy the Lonely Planet Phrasebook and learn useful sentences first. That is how I started learning. Thai people have a habit of repeating what we say so you will hear it pronounced correctly after you have said it. Another great learning tool. If you have the phrasebook you can show the person what you want to say in the book and they will repeat it to you. Also you can sit in a bar, have a couple of beers, and a girl will happily help you with your learning from the phrasebook. All tried and tested methods.

1) Learn Thai characters

3) Go to class

I'd be careful about point 4 above - if you spend too much time with bargirls, your spoken Thai that you have picked up from them will mark you out immediately, to any educated Thai, as a farang of "a certain kind".

I used to think that too, but most foreigners will never interact with 'real' respectable girls in the first place, so it really isn't a problem. Most Thais assume all white foreigners are 'that kind' anyway.

Edited by ludditeman

1) Learn Thai characters

3) Go to class

I used to think that too, but most foreigners will never interact with 'real' respectable girls in the first place, so it really isn't a problem. Most Thais assume all white foreigners are 'that kind' anyway.

Maybe set your sights higher and break the stereotype