Honda Crf 250L

RED21

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have now way to back this up but my gut feeling is that you will never see these CRF's for cheaper than B135 000. That is their promotion price which is due to end today. If they sold them cheaper then that is a slap in the face to all the people who rushed out and bought them at this special price. It is already B18 000 cheaper than the competition.

If we're sharing gut feelings I'm going to go on a limb and state that we'll see 120K soon. All that it takes is getting out of the city and away from the apparent price fixing that Mityon (?) seems to be engaging in. You can already buy it for 130K in Nakhon Sawan.

As an aside, why is the meme that the KLX is restricted due to emissions refusing to die?

Thailand doesn't seem to require a rolling test (from the information I linked to earlier in the thread), so that excuse flies out the window. Even if Thailand did require a rolling test, the speeds usually are set so low (in Texas it was 35 MPH or 56 km/h) that the restricted gears would not be affected by it. Every manufacturer designs in 'flat' spots for that purpose anyways; ever wonder why most all modern bikes that have essentially the same gearing have the 'flat' spot in the same place? It's so that when the bike is going at the proper speed for the test it will pass!

Even under casual scrutiny the 'restricted due to emissions' falls apart; if Kawasaki tries restricting the bike in the top gears so that when it is tested at 1/2 throttle it is only at ~3500 RPM they are commiting fraud because that is not the top engine speed in ALL gears. If they are restricting the bike in the top gears so that it won't reach 3/4 throttle at ~7500 RPM they are commiting fraud because the 7000 or less is not 3/4 throttle in ALL gears.

While one could argue that every other manufacturer is commiting fraud by making sure the bikes run lean in their testing window, at least these other bikes (even from Kawasaki) are not restricted.

I personally think that the KLX is restricted to protect the owner. Much similar to the way that big bikes now have different maps, having the bike restricted in this manner (and easily bypassable) keeps their new/young customers safe and looking to upgrade to one of the other KLX models.

Would also like to see any CRF reviews that aren't anything but positive since somebody would like us to think that there are some out there that would be less than positive from the way they try and word their posts.

They have just opened a new Kawasaki dealer in krabi today popped in there and ordered the folding gear pedal as some one somewhere mentioned they fit the crf cost me 241 bht.

They had a brand new klx in there so had a good look at it height wise felt no different in height compared to my crf looks wise IMO the crf wins hands down horrible matt black frame on the klx.

They also had the new klx 150 in there looks an alright bike but nothing like the klx 140 klx 150 price 79,500 bht

Also noticed the klx 250 seems to have alot of welds around the swimgarm where the crf seems to be 1 smooth piece of metal with no welding

The forks also on the crf look alot better than the klx still waiting for someone to comment on what make the forks and suspension are on the klx

I will go out on a limb and say KYB? Kawa tend to use them as Honda use Showa all the time.

Did you shorten the KLX gear lever? My mate had his shortened the same as the CRF.

Bung we are talking about the foot lever here yes,

Haven't got it yet as they have to order it but I don't really see a way of making it shorter it's just one piece of metal ,the other plus with the kawa shift pedal is it's all metal where the Honda one had a piece of rubber on it which I have found makes your foot slip around a little when wet and muddy

If it don't fit bung I hold you responsible for me losing 241 bht ,....lol

I have now way to back this up but my gut feeling is that you will never see these CRF's for cheaper than B135 000. That is their promotion price which is due to end today. If they sold them cheaper then that is a slap in the face to all the people who rushed out and bought them at this special price. It is already B18 000 cheaper than the competition.

If we're sharing gut feelings I'm going to go on a limb and state that we'll see 120K soon. All that it takes is getting out of the city and away from the apparent price fixing that Mityon (?) seems to be engaging in. You can already buy it for 130K in Nakhon Sawan.

Add Chiang Mai to the list of price fixers... ;) I guess I'll source this elsewhere... once I have time to ride.

I admire your expertise about how emissions tests work, precisely. I have no idea.

But, if I had to devise one, I'd definitely put the engine under full load. I'd see what the maximum emissions are - the worst case. When I de-restricted my D-Tracker there was an immediate and very noticeable worsening of the gas mileage from 35kpl to barely above 25kpl. More gas used per kilometer equals more emissions per kilometer, right?!

Then again - why do they restrict it, does it really matter?

I think the "break in" period is definitely there to protect new owners though... learn how to ride the bike for the first 1000km, then twist the throttle...

Add Chiang Mai to the list of price fixers... wink.png I guess I'll source this elsewhere... once I have time to ride.

I admire your expertise about how emissions tests work, precisely. I have no idea.

But, if I had to devise one, I'd definitely put the engine under full load. I'd see what the maximum emissions are - the worst case. When I de-restricted my D-Tracker there was an immediate and very noticeable worsening of the gas mileage from 35kpl to barely above 25kpl. More gas used per kilometer equals more emissions per kilometer, right?!

Then again - why do they restrict it, does it really matter?

I think the "break in" period is definitely there to protect new owners though... learn how to ride the bike for the first 1000km, then twist the throttle...

If the emissions testing was going to be done full load (which is an interesting concept; full throttle against what weight of drum because different drums will stress the drivelines differently and a small 250cc bike surely can't be expected to be able to turn the same drum as a 1400cc bike) would just result in the manufacturers leaning out the top end. Actually that's not a bad idea as the power that people actually use most of the time would be a lot smoother through the range and those that wanted the max top end are going to add a fuel controller anyways. On the other hand it disregards the actual point where you would see the most emissions; heavy load at low RPM (where internal combustion engines are least efficient). Everyone that lives in LOS has seen an example of it; get behind one of the older diesel pick ups and watch them punch the accelerator. As the engine bogs and trys to accelerate it releases quite a bit of crap. Once it's up to cruising speed it gets right cleaned up.

If I can be so bold to ask; when you derestricted your KLX did you ride at above the old 7000 limit you had? I'm assuming you did. And as you were pointing out, that uses more fuel. I think it's a fair point that most understand; if you really want to see bad fuel consumption, use the bike in a real off road manner. I.E. run about a whole day with the throttle twisted to the the stop off road. Check your 'milage' then. You just dumped at least as much hydrocarbons into the air than you would have traveling the whole day in 6th gear with the throttle pinned. You definitely dumped more per km traveled! There's a chance that, as discussed earlier in regards to the load, you actually put more. And this is the whole concept I've been preaching. If Kawasaki was really worried about emissions release, the bike would stay under 7K all the time. Instead it's only in the top gears that one sees restriction. And these are definitely not going to be gears you use off road. Which means that they're ok with you revving the engine up to the 10K (?) limit when using the bike in the lower gears but not the upper ones.

It's all a moot point though (other than as an intellectual exercise and to rile up the hardcore Kawi fans), because as everyone points out a monkey with a paperclip can undo it.

Here's hoping that the CRF is down to 125K or less by mid-July and Goat Mountain will be retackled!

They have just opened a new Kawasaki dealer in krabi today popped in there and ordered the folding gear pedal as some one somewhere mentioned they fit the crf cost me 241 bht.

They had a brand new klx in there so had a good look at it height wise felt no different in height compared to my crf looks wise IMO the crf wins hands down horrible matt black frame on the klx.

They also had the new klx 150 in there looks an alright bike but nothing like the klx 140 klx 150 price 79,500 bht

Also noticed the klx 250 seems to have alot of welds around the swimgarm where the crf seems to be 1 smooth piece of metal with no welding

The forks also on the crf look alot better than the klx still waiting for someone to comment on what make the forks and suspension are on the klx

I will go out on a limb and say KYB? Kawa tend to use them as Honda use Showa all the time.

Did you shorten the KLX gear lever? My mate had his shortened the same as the CRF.

Bung we are talking about the foot lever here yes,

Haven't got it yet as they have to order it but I don't really see a way of making it shorter it's just one piece of metal ,the other plus with the kawa shift pedal is it's all metal where the Honda one had a piece of rubber on it which I have found makes your foot slip around a little when wet and muddy

If it don't fit bung I hold you responsible for me losing 241 bht ,....lol

i guess they just took a grinder to it and cut it where the shaft clamp meets the flat steel and re welded it. I'm sure there are alloy ones that will fit already on the market. Like this:

cnc-new-billet-alloy-gear-shifter-shift-lever-for-dirt-bike-parts-motorcycle-parts-pit-bike-parts.jpg

In fact I may spend the afternoon finding one online. I would like to know how long the CRF one is though?

Anyone heard anything about a d tracker version of the crf?

Also,is it just a matter of time before you can buy different colour plastics and seat? Like the bike, not the colours.

No RRP from Ap Honda yet. Here at Sumet we are selling them 145,000 (includes tax, registration, third person, insurance, one year of theft insurance, and a Bilmola motocross helmet). People in our area haven't been showing much interest though, so I think we may be dropping our prices soon. I think after everything settles down, prices are going to be cheaper in urban areas than out in rural areas. There is going to be more demand for this bike in places like Issan, but less so in places like Bangkok. Kind of the opposite of what happened with the CBR 250. I can't say what our cost for this bike is, but I can say that you will never see it lower than 120,000. If you really want this bike, my advice would be to wait and shop around for a deal that is right for you. However, If you really want to drive it out of the showroom today, send me a PM. Best of luck.

Brian

^

thanks for the info Brian

Seems like the price I payed of 140 k including 2 helmets ,tax,registration,bottle of polish and the choice of any number plate I wanted wasn't to bad then oh and it was one of the very first to hit the road

So they may end up selling them cheaper than the "Quick, get 'em while they on special before they go up" promotional price of B134 990?

I really don't think there is/was any special promotion price it's only certain dealers saying that to get the early sales , dealers can sell them for what they like or whatever they think they can get for them nothing wrong with that I run a business myself and that's what we do it is after all about making profits

@SumetCycle - excellent info, thank you so much! That was my guess too.

As for Chiang Mai prices I just so happened to walk by a shop I'd never really noticed before, and they had a CRF on show. Price 234,000 includes a 200 baht helmet, a jacket (didn't see but I guess nothing special) and mandatory and accident insurance, and registration. The accident insurance brings it in pretty close to what I was going to pay, 130k. The very nice lady didn't want to go down to that, but theft insurance would be an additional 2,000 baht. I don't know why the insurance is so cheap - but I'll take it!

I am expecting a call with prices for nearly all the accessories. She asked me which one I liked and I went through the list and with one or two exceptions checked all of them ;)

The talk about the "promotion price" is just talk - it's a sales tactic. Nothing is stopping them from later offering another, even better "promotion". It's just supply and demand - wares need to be moved. Prices are always negotiable.

PS: I've got the feeling that ramp up for this bike is going to be really fast. All dealers that want it seem to already have one show model, and all of them say they have a couple coming next month. This is much better than was the case with the CBR250.

Edited by nikster

I imagine this great little bike is going to simply sell like hotcakes in Thailand. I wouldn't be surprised if it sells more than the KLX, Dtr. and Ninjette 250's combined, as long as there's no delays in stock.

Looks like Honda have come in and as good as taken the 250cc market in one year, with better, cheaper models! Now let's see them do the same when it comes to Kawa's 650s.

It will also be good to reaffirm to Honda et al that there is a good market for bikes over 150cc here.

Edited by HondaBest

No RRP from Ap Honda yet. Here at Sumet we are selling them 145,000 (includes tax, registration, third person, insurance, one year of theft insurance, and a Bilmola motocross helmet). People in our area haven't been showing much interest though, so I think we may be dropping our prices soon. I think after everything settles down, prices are going to be cheaper in urban areas than out in rural areas. There is going to be more demand for this bike in places like Issan, but less so in places like Bangkok. Kind of the opposite of what happened with the CBR 250. I can't say what our cost for this bike is, but I can say that you will never see it lower than 120,000. If you really want this bike, my advice would be to wait and shop around for a deal that is right for you. However, If you really want to drive it out of the showroom today, send me a PM. Best of luck.

Brian

Thanks for information from somebody who is actually in the know Brian.

Brian

Thanks Brian, very helpful.

I imagine this great little bike is going to simply sell like hotcakes in Thailand. I wouldn't be surprised if it sells more than the KLX, Dtr. and Ninjette 250's combined, as long as there's no delays in stock.

Looks like Honda have come in and as good as taken the 250cc market in one year, with better, cheaper models! Now let's see them do the same when it comes to Kawa's 650s.

It will also be good to reaffirm to Honda et al that there is a good market for bikes over 150cc here.

Hello again hehehoho/sTROLLing/Baand - good to see you back!!

Not sure about taking over the market, the CBR seems to be doing well in terms of sales, primarily due to it being somewhat underpriced here in LOS but it is in my opinion an inferior bike to the competition, if slightly better value in Thailand.

The CRF seems much more closely matched to the KLX, and unlike the CBR it's also a good looking bike and it's still a bit cheaper (not sure how much yet) than the KLX. In my opinion it's a much better offering than the CBR was - and yet I suspect it won't reach anything like the sales figures of the CBR, but then being the best selling bike and being the best bike are 2 completely different things.

As a Honda employee can you advise if they'll be bringing out a 650 to compete with the Kawi?

What Kawasaki motorcycle can you buy at Red Baron for less than what Kawasaki, Thailand charges?

Answer: None

Red Baron doesn't import any of the Kawasaki models that are sold by Kawasaki, Thailand.

Kawasaki Thailand sellls the ZX14R for 850,000 THB, Red Baron Bangkok has the same bike (new) for 715,000 THB See here

Edited by Richard-BKK

Hello again hehehoho/sTROLLing/Baand - good to see you back!!

Not sure about taking over the market, the CBR seems to be doing well in terms of sales, primarily due to it being somewhat underpriced here in LOS but it is in my opinion an inferior bike to the competition, if slightly better value in Thailand.

The CRF seems much more closely matched to the KLX, and unlike the CBR it's also a good looking bike and it's still a bit cheaper (not sure how much yet) than the KLX. In my opinion it's a much better offering than the CBR was - and yet I suspect it won't reach anything like the sales figures of the CBR, but then being the best selling bike and being the best bike are 2 completely different things.

As a Honda employee can you advise if they'll be bringing out a 650 to compete with the Kawi?

Seeing as how Honda managed to outsell ALL of Kawasaki's big bikes (7 or 8 models right?) with their 'inferior' 250cc bike, I'd imagine that if the CRF only had 1/4 of the sales that the CBR provided they could possibly do exactly what the GP is suggesting.

And as all reports in so far have the CRF as the better bike, isn't your statement that the CRF seems more closely matched to the KLX a bit...wrong? Isn't the KLX, which is an older model now, having to play catch-up to the Honda?

I do agree with you about Honda's layered look though! You can also get the CRF for 24K cheaper than the KLX if you don't mind the travel; would make a nice break in ride back home for many of the boardmembers.

What Kawasaki motorcycle can you buy at Red Baron for less than what Kawasaki, Thailand charges?

Red Baron doesn't import any of the Kawasaki models that are sold by Kawasaki, Thailand.

Kawasaki Thailand sellls the ZX14R for 850,000 THB, Red Baron Bangkok has the same bike (new) for 715,000 THB See here

Holy crap that's a big tampon on that bike....

does that price include the plate+ book ?

Holy crap that's a big tampon on that bike....

I'm sure it's a great bike, but that thing is fugly!

does that price include the plate+ book ?

Red Baron Bangkok is known for it good business manners, so no different would you buy it from Kawasaki.