Honda Crf 250L

RED21

OK, I tried to make sense of the last 10 or 20 posts but my head hurts.

Can someone clarify:

Is the CRF restricted in the same fashion as the KLX is as it comes from the dealer, ie, pull the plug on the clutch socket and short it out and you remove a restriction (whatever reason it was put in there in the first place is irrelevant as it is such an easy fix)?

What power does the CRF make stock (with any KLX style restrictions bridged out)?

What power does the KLX make with the factory restriction removed but no other mods?

Am I right in thinking there is a 3hp advantage to the CRF in the stock configuration?

On another note, I noticed that the CRF has a flat paper air cleaner, it doesn't look like you will be able to fit a foam, washable air filter in it (or carry a spare no toil filter on tour) like you can do on the KLX. That to me will make a big difference. Maybe there will be a K&N style filter available later but my understanding is the big round filters are the go in dusty offroad conditions. Peeps are going to want to open up the airbox and stick a high flow filter in there as soon as they bin the pipe.

Can anyone confirm that with the KLX standard suspension you will be able to adjust it to set the proper sag for a 95kg guy without installing new springs? is that possible to do with just the CRF's preload (and none on the forks) suspension?

These are the major points for me right now.

I am not trying to say which one is better through brand loyalty, just get the facts out there, compare and decide which is best for my needs. I am on the fence.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My concerns about the CRF are that it is actually too low for my liking and the shock is only adjustable for pre load. The fork is non adjustable. The KLX is better in this regard with adjustable pre load and rebound suspension front and rear meaning it can be tuned to different rider weights and preferences. I would have to spend money on new rear suspension and most likely the front as well to make it usable so there goes your price savings....

Some small details like thinner spokes grate, things like spring loaded shift lever can be changed easily but again added cost.

Also the CRF has only one radiator and it remains to be seen if it can handle hard off road work. especially if the engine gets modified. The KLX has 2 radiators.

There is a good possibility that the CRF's engine will be able to be modified for extra power as I believe they race CBR 250's and have developed performance parts for them already which will be able to be bolted right on. No idea if that incudes a big bore kit but with one radiator that will become an issue anyway.

You will want to open up the airbox and install a performance ECU for it. The local guys will make decent copies of aftermarket exhausts. These I imagine will be aviailable for it pretty soon. There are already these performance parts available for the KLX .

It will be interesting if the engine can be modified to make more power than the KLX can be modified to do.

A lot of people will be happy with it how it is but for guys who want to go offroad and tour it will be needed to be done

I am leaning towards the Kawa which is a shame as I have been eagerly awaiting this CRF but Honda have decided that the way forward was to undercut the KLX and it shows. You get what you pay for.

The cheaper price and lower height will make it very popular with the Thais and short Farangs. They will be more than happy pottering around town on it but for guys looking for a road registerable bike they can take offroad I think the KLX is still King.

It will be interesting to see if Kawasaki come out with an upgraded model to compete with the CRF soon. I just hope they don't get into a price war and down spec the KLX to suit.

I do not know how much you would have to spend on suspension, but getting my Ninja 250 how I wanted it was really as easy as purchasing 3000 THB worth of uprated springs from RaceTech and installing them. While it's not race ready by any stretch of the imagination, how many people need their bike that finely tuned in? How much are YSS shocks? 9000 THB max? Going with those two options allows one to still have some 5-10 000 THB balance to play around with; plus they'd be in the middle of the range of adjustment rather than at the end of the range for heavier riders.

From an engineering standpoint, two is not always better.packaging issues aside, that's twice the places for problems (leaks, fatigued/failed metal,etc.). It also doesn't imply it's twice as good (the GM 8L engine is nowhere near as good as Ferrari's 4L). Having said that I have stated my concerns about it previously, and to comment on what another poster said, Honda (and every manufacturer) does not meet the extremes or they would not be able to move product because people would balk at the price. So they shoot for a 'good enough'. Is the good enough alright for the projected use of this bike? Time will tell.

Make more power than the KLX does? Mate, you're joking right? Even with a 300cc upbore, the KLX only makes a three more HP. With a PowerCommander, exhaust, snorkel, yadda-yadda, you can break even with a stock CRF...

I do not understand the offroad/touring comment. Do people not do that with D-Trackers/KLX? And aren't those two bikes down in power compared to the CRF?

My take on the KLX is that it is an emminently useful bike for the n00bs. Kawasaki does not even trust the buyers of the bike with the (less than CRF) 20 HP but restricts them in the top 4 gears down to CBR 150 power levels. Guess that pointing to a 2cm height advantage (which real off-road riders have confirmed is not significant), a 5kg weight advantage (which real off-road riders....I hate repeating myself but would also like to state means that the power to weight ratio is still in CRF's favour), and an adjustable suspension is worth the 15-20 000 THB extra that Kawasaki mandates the bike sells at rather than letting market forces (i.e. the plebes who are purchasing bikes) decide the actual price.

You say 3000 on springs and 9000 for a shock? That makes 12000B. With the CRF selling 15000 (on promotion) cheaper than the KLX, how does that leave you with 5-10000B left to play with? I doubt you will get much from YSS for 9000B. For your scooter maybe but the simple ones I am getting for my Triumph I am looking at 20000B...

"Make more power than the KLX does? Mate, you're joking right? Even with a 300cc upbore, the KLX only makes a three more HP. With a PowerCommander, exhaust, snorkel, yadda-yadda, you can break even with a stock CRF..."

What I said was:

"It will be interesting if the engine can be modified to make more power than the KLX can be modified to do." If it can be modified to make more power. No one knows yet. I doubt there will be a big difference given they are basically identical engines, 250cc, 4 valve and fuel injection.

"I do not understand the offroad/touring comment. Do people not do that with D-Trackers/KLX? And aren't those two bikes down in power compared to the CRF?"

Being able to modify these bikes is very important to people who want to use them off road and on touring. I will be looking closely as to what modifications can be done to maintain reliability and increase performance. The CRF has potential for sure but will be weighed up with what the overall package is. Some people will be happy with the standard power but a lot will be looking for more, me included. And before you say, buy a CRF-R or a DRZ 400 we need legal green books. It is what this whole thing is about, being able to ride on the road fully legal and being able to go off road with the most power and reliability we can get along with weight and handling.

Edited by Bung

You say 3000 on springs and 9000 for a shock? That makes 12000B. With the CRF selling 15000 (on promotion) cheaper than the KLX, how does that leave you with 5-10000B left to play with? I doubt you will get much from YSS for 9000B. For your scooter maybe but the simple ones I am getting for my Triumph I am looking at 20000B...

"Make more power than the KLX does? Mate, you're joking right? Even with a 300cc upbore, the KLX only makes a three more HP. With a PowerCommander, exhaust, snorkel, yadda-yadda, you can break even with a stock CRF..."

What I said was:

"It will be interesting if the engine can be modified to make more power than the KLX can be modified to do." If it can be modified to make more power. No one knows yet. I doubt there will be a big difference given they are basically identical engines, 250cc, 4 valve and fuel injection.

"I do not understand the offroad/touring comment. Do people not do that with D-Trackers/KLX? And aren't those two bikes down in power compared to the CRF?"

Being able to modify these bikes is very important to people who want to use them off road and on touring. I will be looking closely as to what modifications can be done to maintain reliability and increase performance. The CRF has potential for sure but will be weighed up with what the overall package is. Some people will be happy with the standard power but a lot will be looking for more, me included. And before you say, buy a CRF-R or a DRZ 400 we need legal green books. It is what this whole thing is about, being able to ride on the road fully legal and being able to go off road with the most power and reliability we can get along with weight and handling.

I honestly don't know what YSS would charge for a shock for the CRF. My guesstimate was precede by a question in that regard. I can't imagine they'd be too bad; if you can get two (simple) for 20K, than how much would a single advanced one be? An Ohlins shock for the Ninja (the only that I have priced and promptly decided against) runs 26K...

Also, the CRF is for sale in my province for 130K (and it's the only one the dealer has!); that's a whole 22,5K cheaper than the KLX and where my 10K upper limit comes from. Obviously if someone is paying 135 it will be my lower limit.

I must have misunderstood your comment re modifications. While I thought that it was self explanatory that the CRF already, using the CBR engine, makes some 3 RWHP more than the KLX and would therefore not need much of anything to stay ahead, now I'm doubting what I thought. Simply opening up the breathing will keep it ahead. If you mean 'is there ~15% more power available from the Honda engine as there is from the KLX?', no I can not answer that. There seems to be quite a few mods for the CBR engine, but without professionally designed exhaust cans for the CRF I would have to say at this point in time I do not think you can get the same percentage increase in power as you can with the KLX. And even though both engines are singles, dual overhead cam, etc. does not mean that they are the same (reference the stock horsepower delta).

I agree about getting the most for your money with a purchase. Don't get me wrong, either bike is pretty good for a beginner. I've praised the KLX. At the ridiculous 140K that is being brandied around I would probably even recommend the KLX over the CRF. But when you're talking 130K (or less as I am hoping), the CRF wins on power and value.

And you don't have to worry about me stating "get a CRF-R or DRZ" because I think all bikes should be enjoyed rather than put down. Can I feel a twinge of jealousy that there's board members who can push one of those bikes (and justify their cost) to what they should be rode at? Of course. But I know that I wouldn't be able to and there's quite a few others on the board who wouldn't be able to either. Luckily for us there are options which are legal and have warranties.

I just said it on another thread, there needs to be a drag race on two similarly geared and standard bikes in the making soon. saturday night in the moat, outside a pub, raucous egging on, few cute girls posing....You know, saturday night fever style....smile.png

Edited by Bung

Have to agree this has been going on for at least a year and half with bigbkiebkk posting the same worn out comments and pictures to flame anyone or anything to do with Honda why he feels the need to do it I don't know

I have my views on the er6 and Pcx and I read the threads but do not make comments as I neither have the bike or Like it and am not in the habit of putting other riders and their bikes down it's a shame really because in other threads he obviously has some good knowledge and info.

I just said it on another thread, there needs to be a drag race on two similarly geared and standard bikes in the making soon. saturday night in the moat, outside a pub, raucous egging on, few cute girls posing....You know, saturday night fever style....smile.png

Finally a decent post on this thread laugh.png

Here Here

Have to agree this has been going on for at least a year and half with bigbkiebkk posting the same worn out comments and pictures to flame anyone or anything to do with Honda why he feels the need to do it I don't know

I have my views on the er6 and Pcx and I read the threads but do not make comments as I neither have the bike or Like it and am not in the habit of putting other riders and their bikes down it's a shame really because in other threads he obviously has some good knowledge and info.

Shame we can't have a nice civilized polite debate about two very similar bikes.

I don't know why you think I'm putting down the CRF250L. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

The CRF250L is a bit heavier, shorter and features more basic suspension than the KLX. These aren't put downs, they are facts. I suspect a stock CRF250L will be a lot more fuel efficient than a stock KLX250. If price and fuel efficiency are your primary concerns, then the Honda CRF250L is probably the better bike. If adjustable suspension, clearance, weight and available mods are more important, then the KLX250 is probably a better choice.

The CRF250L is a bit cheaper than the KLX250 for a reason.

Peace dudes! giggle.gif

When we did the shoot out between the Honda CRF 250 L & the Kawasaki KLX 250 a few days back, both Alex & I agreed that Honda CRF 250 suspension tracked better than the Kaw KLX through the tree ruts and loose rocks, which is where you'll know. So the fact that the Honda CRF's suspension isn't adjustable, doesnt seem to be that much of an issue.

7156897890_e696bb316a_b.jpg

Shame we can't have a nice civilized polite debate about two very similar bikes.

I don't know why you think I'm putting down the CRF250L. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

The CRF250L is a bit heavier, shorter and features more basic suspension than the KLX. These aren't put downs, they are facts. I suspect a stock CRF250L will be a lot more fuel efficient than a stock KLX250. If price and fuel efficiency are your primary concerns, then the Honda CRF250L is probably the better bike. If adjustable suspension, clearance, weight and available mods are more important, then the KLX250 is probably a better choice.

Peace dudes! giggle.gif

Edited by RidersCorner

Peace dudes! giggle.gif

A debate revolves around honest discussion. Your posts in this thread have been less than...correct not to mention your oh so cute reliance on emoticions that are intentionally put in to denigrate others. Hence, you crying about a 'nice civilised polite debate' when people call you on it is quite a red herring isn't it?

Yes, the CRF is 5kg heavier; for one who is smaller and can't stand the heat we all see the problem. And according to people who have much more experience than you, and have rode both bikes, the weight difference is unimportant.

Yes, the CRF loses all of 2 cm ground clearance. But as I asked earlier in the thread, that's up around the axle line so what's the chance that will be missed. And according to people who have much more experience than you, and have rode both bikes, there is issue with that; in fact the CRF's smaller size seemed to be praised.

Yes the CRF loses the adjustability of the KLX suspension. It does have the SFF in its favour however. And according to people who have much more experience than you, and have rode both bikes, the CRF tracks better anyways.

But hey, you can pay more for a less efficent bike that has less power (which you always fail to mention), apparently doesn't track as well, has less of a steering lock, but has a more adjustable suspension!

I can think of a pretty big reason the KLX could be more expensive. Kawasaki had no competition and could price it where they wanted. Kawasaki never had any significant market share in LOS. They did release the first of the affordable big bikes, but even then they were at a premium. Was this due to the aforementioned cornering of that part of the market or an effort to associate the big K with a more upscale brand? Either reason the bikes are priced higher than 1/2 around the world even after shipping costs/import duties/etc. Do they need to be? As a consumer I'd say no; as a realist I understand that Kawasaki is a company trying to maximise their profits. I mean by your logic the KLX should be the same price difference under the CRF that the CBR ABS is under the Ninja...oh wait that falls apart because Kawasaki is teh winnah and Honda suxxors, right?

Certainly for the kind of gentle trail riding you did in your "shoot out" one wouldn't notice the lack of clearance and might not notice or care about the lack of adjustable suspension.

Some interesting pictures of the wart of a linkage for the CRF250L rear suspension, looks like it only hangs down 3" or so.yelrotflmao.gif

img_rearsuspention.jpg

img_arm.jpg

I asked earlier- does Honda provide a special tool to reach the adjuster rings on the rear shock or do you have to use an extra long drift and a hammer to adjust the rear pre-load?

Maybe in your next review you can take the two bikes across some actual obstacles like downed trees and boulders and see how they do. coffee1.gif

Happy Trails!

T

When we did the shoot out between the Honda CRF 250 L & the Kawasaki KLX 250 a few days back, both Alex & I agreed that Honda CRF 250 suspension tracked better than the Kaw KLX through the tree ruts and loose rocks, which is where you'll know. So the fact that the Honda CRF's suspension isn't adjustable, doesnt seem to be that much of an issue.

Peace dudes! giggle.gif

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Agreed -The Kawasaki leg-humping is quite alarming even if you do only sell aftermarket Kawasaki parts! -- I think this Honda CRF 250 L will be a winner for sure. A friend has taken mine for a multi day test, hopefully will have some feed back in a couple of days.

A debate revolves around honest discussion. Your posts in this thread have been less than...correct not to mention your oh so cute reliance on emoticions that are intentionally put in to denigrate others. Hence, you crying about a 'nice civilised polite debate' when people call you on it is quite a red herring isn't it?

7156897638_a377fc9f63_b.jpg

Certainly for the kind of gentle trail riding you did in your "shoot out" one wouldn't notice the lack of clearance and might not notice or care about the lack of adjustable suspension.

Some interesting pictures of the wart of a linkage for the CRF250L rear suspension, looks like it only hangs down 3" or so.yelrotflmao.gif

img_rearsuspention.jpg

img_arm.jpg

I asked earlier- does Honda provide a special tool to reach the adjuster rings on the rear shock or do you have to use an extra long drift and a hammer to adjust the rear pre-load?

Maybe in your next review you can take the two bikes across some actual obstacles like downed trees and boulders and see how they do. coffee1.gif

Happy Trails!

T

Peace dudes! giggle.gif

They have a white one in samui honda now,and when i ask him how much he went quite for a minute and then said 150,000b,think i will be waiting until the prices go down if they do!from the brochure he gave me it looks good with black rims,not sure if they can do that for you!Also is there a price list for all the spare parts?

^^^ hahaha the whole of Samui is a rip-off, apparently that extends to bikes as well!

I'll go with RidersCorner's opinion, being as it is the man is basically up and about in the dirt week in week out and has 3 (or more? the stable is in constant flux... ) dirt bikes that see plenty of use. Having actually ridden a CRF helps too :) ... "remote diagnostics" doesn't usually work so well + a complex beast like a suspension is impossible to judge until you've tried. If you want to make a statement like "The KLX suspension is better" or "the CRF suspension is better" I'll believe you if you've tried both for at least a day of trail riding. Otherwise... it's just speculation. Leaving out the ability to adjust the suspension is clearly a cost cutting measure - but this is always a trade-off - maybe they thought higher quality forks and an aluminum swing arm provide better bang for the buck than adjustability? Maybe they were right? Only way to find out is to try and see for yourself.

Main reason the KLX price is so high is no competition. They're taking the money. Kawasaki's prices throughout the range are higher than its US-prices. It was still a fair deal, but.. .the times, they're a'changin... we'll see what happens. Maybe Kawasaki has a problem with lowering prices (due to financing concerns)... but IMO they better come down quick. Honda seems intent to set their prices below or at US prices. The CBR250 is USD 4,000 over there, 3,000 here - can't complain about that really. The CRF will probably be above 4,000 as well over there, same price as here once supply has caught up with demand.

The crf in the uk is 4000 about 200,000b so a lot cheaper here!

Yeah, AP Honda do a great job when it comes to the price of their 250s... and dealers have the freedom to offer great prices on them.

Compare to Kawasaki whose 250s are more expensive(?) in Thailand than in America despite being shipped half way round the world... over priced and restrictive price management by Thai Kawa, raping the customers because they could due to their monopoly. sad.png

It was great to see Kawa Australia cut around $1500 off the Ninjette's price tag because they realised the monopoly was over when Honda undercut them with a better bike! Pity that Thai Kawa are too stubborn to do the same.

Edited by strollling

Yeah, AP Honda do a great job when it comes to the price of their 250s... and dealers have the freedom to offer great prices on them.

Compare to Kawasaki whose 250s are more expensive(?) in Thailand than in America despite being shipped half way round the world... over priced and restrictive price management by Thai Kawa, raping the customers because they could due to their monopoly. sad.png

It was great to see Kawa Australia cut around $1500 off the Ninjette's price tag because they realised the monopoly was over when Honda undercut them with a better bike! Pity that Thai Kawa are too stubborn to do the same.

No 'porky' comments about the heavier Honda? In your former life as forum member 'hehehoho' you seemed obsessed with a few kilos when comparing the Ninja and the CBr and yet on an off road bike where weight is much more significant we don't hear a peep. Keep on sTROLLING, gots to get paid, right? :)

^^^ hahaha the whole of Samui is a rip-off, apparently that extends to bikes as well!

I'll go with RidersCorner's opinion, being as it is the man is basically up and about in the dirt week in week out and has 3 (or more? the stable is in constant flux... ) dirt bikes that see plenty of use. Having actually ridden a CRF helps too smile.png ... "remote diagnostics" doesn't usually work so well + a complex beast like a suspension is impossible to judge until you've tried. If you want to make a statement like "The KLX suspension is better" or "the CRF suspension is better" I'll believe you if you've tried both for at least a day of trail riding. Otherwise... it's just speculation. Leaving out the ability to adjust the suspension is clearly a cost cutting measure - but this is always a trade-off - maybe they thought higher quality forks and an aluminum swing arm provide better bang for the buck than adjustability? Maybe they were right? Only way to find out is to try and see for yourself.

Couldn't agree more, I will be riding both before I buy and I'm sure there will be rentals available. They will suit different people better, ride position etc.

Does the KLX not have a aluminium swing arm? I thought it did....That will make a difference.

Decided to have a look myself:

Frame and swingarm

The KLX250’s box- and tubular-section high-tensile steel perimeter frame creates a slim, lightweight package. The 26.5 degree caster angle and short wheelbase contribute to quick handling, while the high rigidity of the frame ensures straight-line stability. The new lightweight, highly rigid aluminium D-section swingarm contributes to reduced unsprung weight. New KX racing-type chain adjusters allow precise adjustment of chain

w310h200_000003409D916662.jpg

I think a lot of people - me included - are looking at the suspensions of the 2 bikes and seeing one with a pre load only shock and no adjustments on the fork compared to a shock with pre load, rebound, compression and remote resiviour along with compression adjustable forks. Not saying one is better than the other but on paper you have to admit it looks better. It appears the Honda have a nice set up from these reports though so only more thorough testing will show the results.

Saying that, the KLX suspension has been around for how long now? The CRF's is new in 2012 for the bike. Not to mention this new style SFF fork it carries.

Edited by Bung

No 'porky' comments about the heavier Honda? In your former life as forum member 'hehehoho' you seemed obsessed with a few kilos when comparing the Ninja and the CBr and yet on an off road bike where weight is much more significant we don't hear a peep. Keep on sTROLLING, gots to get paid, right? smile.png

The difference being that the Ninja is ~8 kg heavier while only having some 2 HP more, while the CRF is 5 kg heavier while apparently having ~3 HP more than an unrestricted KLX (a whopping 6 more than a restricted one). Means that each extra HP on the CRF costs you 1,6 kg (over a 'fixed' KLX) versus the Ninja offering each extra HP for 4 kg. Understand how the tradeoff seems to be worth it?

No 'porky' comments about the heavier Honda? In your former life as forum member 'hehehoho' you seemed obsessed with a few kilos when comparing the Ninja and the CBr and yet on an off road bike where weight is much more significant we don't hear a peep. Keep on sTROLLING, gots to get paid, right? smile.png

JonnyF, the fortuneteller, or is this called clairvoyant? A poor sport for poor people like you and BigBikeBKK. I ask myself why no moderator is stopping this childish smear campaign.

img_rearsuspention.jpg

img_arm.jpg

Happy Trails!

T

post-27441-0-34489900-1336756270_thumb.j

2011-Kawasaki-KLX-250S-outdoor.jpg

post-27441-0-63477900-1336756415_thumb.j

<p>Since we are sharing pictures, I took those two from your post Bung and overlaid the CRF on the KLX (because the KLX is so dark it showed up better this way...otherwise I would have had to lighten the picture too much to where the KLX was barely visible).

I'm not a photochop expert, but at least this gives everyone a rough idea of the size differences. I simply layered the CRF on to the KLX, moved the CRF to match the KLX front axle, and then resized the layer to the same front wheel. What was interesting to me was the wheelbase difference. It's also pretty evident why some people thought the CRF had a taller seat; there's quite a bit of foam in the nutbuster area. Also the CRF looks more meaty; perhaps this is where the extra weight comes from?

post-27441-0-09110000-1336763797_thumb.j