"Working Holiday Visa" For Thailand

perhaps things are different with the nz and aussie versions as here you definately dont need a bachelors degree. my guess is there is no difference but theres probably a bit of confusion on the thai side of things. they dont seem to fussed about anything and dont seem to know to much about it either.

as for the chef work it is allowed. there is (or was) a downloadable link of the prohibited occupations on the sydney website here http://www.thaiconsu...try/a/australia (you have to navigate to working holiday visa). theres a link there "annex1" this was the list of banned occupations however the link is broken. all i remember is looking at it thinking why the hell would i want to do any of those things anyway. it is all things like rubber tapping, silk weaving and basket weaving and buddhist type things. in other words very traditional things.

the reporting does have to be done every 90 days. the officer i spoke to at immigration was certain of this. he said all visas must report every 90 days no matter what.

as for the 1 year extensions dr180 theres not much else to say. if you leave the country and return either by land or air (theres no difference in what it gives you) they will give you another year. i had planned on perhaps visiting some neighboring countries early on in my stay but now i probably wont as im worried that when i come back they would just stamp it with the 2nd year and i would lose quite a few months of time here.

i should prob mention it was some british looking immigration volunteer at the patong office that told me about the one year extension. im not saying he was wrong or anything but i worry that maybe depending on who you happen to be dealing with they might have different ideas about what you get... the volunteer in patong said he had never seen this visa before and wondered if maybe they had put the wrong stamp on it at the airport but i told him that the manager was called over etc to sort that out.

Just remember that if you do leave Thailand during your stay you will need a re-entry visa to keep your current one alive. Unless the working visa is multi-entry?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as for the 1 year extensions dr180 theres not much else to say. if you leave the country and return either by land or air (theres no difference in what it gives you) they will give you another year.

I would also check that out; I would think there would be more paperwork involved than just doing a border run. Theoretically, using the above, that would be a lifetime visa.

Maybe you have hit paydirt for the Ausies & Kiwi's on this, but don't bet everything on it.

does anyone have any ideas/advice on what i should do about this? i have a friend booking a plane ticket to party with me at songkran and stuff but im not even sure i'll have this visa by april and that would really stuff her around. is there any way i could possibly speed things up a bit? everytime i call them they just say it's waiting for approval from thailand. would i be pushing it if i asked them if they could perhaps call thailand to check on it? im getting a very negative feeling about the whole thing and am thinking they probably want me to just throw the towel in and cancel it. as somebody else mentioned it is probably only set up to suit them so thai's can come here. its been 12 weeks now and it says on the sydney consular website it should only take 8 weeks and the lady from the embassy told me herself that they take about a month. coffee1.gif

Sign up with an approved language school. At least you will then get a visa. But as for the other one you are betting on ! is it for real, i have never heard of it.

• 3 months later...

Don't want to bring up an old thread but added info (in the existing thread) might help people for the future.

I got one of these from Aus end of last year as well. Took months to process (was during election time) so got my passport back at the time and went on double tourist visa, came back to aus and it was ready (6 months later). Got added to my passport and then went in November. The real information.

- The normal thai immigration officials sometimes don't know what it is (get confused) but the supervisor WILL know what it is, so they just ask (entered twice on this already)

- It is valid for 1 year, but I never knew of the 90 day reporting (I am checking on this). But, you are not on an extension of stay you are just on a long admitted to stay so you still need to leave before the valid until date (90 day reporting is for those on extensions of stay correct? They would already be past their single entry permitted to stay to date, not the same situation). I also stayed over 3 months on my first entry, no problem leaving at the airport. You would probably get blank stares doing your reporting and them getting confused about your visa type.

- You cannot simply get another year, but you might be lucky. The way the visa is supposed to work is you get 1 year from the first time you enter, if you leave you don't need a re-entry permit (it is a multi) but when you re-enter thailand you get stamped with the original valid until date. Saying this, it never happened and I got stamped a new year the second time I entered (but my stamps are all over the place). See what happens when I go back in a few months.

- Work permit, I don't 'think' you need one (who would go through the trouble of applying for a permit to employ someone for 3 months). I am checking on this though and will update when I know. The last I did remember though, you could only work for an employer for 3 months (not 6 as like in Aus).

Hope this helps. And you DO need a tertiary qualification, if the OP got one without it he was lucky (or forgetting he has ;) ) It is IN the list of requirements and one of the documents you need to submit when applying for it.

Cheers,

Amras

Thanks for your report.

Regarding 90 day reports, you do need to make them. It is not only for people on an extension of stay.

It also is my understanding that no work eprmit is needed, but same as you I'm not 100% sure.

As you say, the visa is valid for 1 year. If immigraiton makes a mistake and it is spotted, you will be fined for overstay at 500 baht a day, with a maximum of 20,000 baht. That could be a nasty surpise, as they will not let you leave till you have paid. If you can't pay, you will be arrested and eventually send to court.

I only know about the date thing because that's what the embassy in Australia said. There is no information on it anywhere about the length of stay and 'approval and length of stay will be giving at the immigration point' would mean that what ever you get stamped in for thats the length of stay you get.

I cannot imagine an immigration officer looking through your passport to see what dates your stamps are. Then again if you only have two, it's quiet easy to see (so maybe?). If you got many, it makes it pretty hard.

I've emailed the embassy and consulate in aus to ask them re 90 day reporting AND work permit. Will update when they reply. But I do see your point (notification for staying over 90 days (and is not an extension of stay). Maybe I was just under 90 days.

Regards of permitted to stay time you must report address if here 90 days or longer so that would be required (although you may not have been here that long without an exit - time counts from each entry).

just happened to notice this thread had new posts. despite fiddling with my notification settings i dont seem to get emailed about new posts for some reason.

anyway...

tertiary education - yes i do have one. if you don't have one you don't qualify for this visa. as mentioned before.

work permits - according to the thai embassy that issued my visa in canberra, yes you DO need one.

1 year extension - as mentioned before i was told at the immigration booth in patong that you get a 1 year extension. next time i do my 90 day report i will ask and double check for you. amras i am curious about why you say you can not simply get another year but then say this is what happened to you?

90 day reporting - yes, i do it

also im not sure if im understanding this correctly or not but amras are you saying you leave thailand every 3 months to do some kind of visa run or something? if you are, you don't need to with this visa.

• 3 weeks later...

just happened to notice this thread had new posts. despite fiddling with my notification settings i dont seem to get emailed about new posts for some reason.

anyway...

tertiary education - yes i do have one. if you don't have one you don't qualify for this visa. as mentioned before.

work permits - according to the thai embassy that issued my visa in canberra, yes you DO need one.

1 year extension - as mentioned before i was told at the immigration booth in patong that you get a 1 year extension. next time i do my 90 day report i will ask and double check for you. amras i am curious about why you say you can not simply get another year but then say this is what happened to you?

also im not sure if im understanding this correctly or not but amras are you saying you leave thailand every 3 months to do some kind of visa run or something? if you are, you don't need to with this visa.

Hi Sikishrory,

Just noticed you replied.

Work permits, I asked canberra, they never replied to my email...haha. (so thai :P)

it's not a 1 year extension, you get a 1 year permission to stay (as opposed to applying for an extension like an ED visa). You are stamped with 1 year from the date of entry. I believe and was told by the embassy that the visa is supposed to give you 1 year (not multi 1 year entries) and if you leave when you return you will be stamped with the original end date of your first entry (regardless of how long you are out). ie you enter first jan 1, valid until dec 31st, you leave in june come back you're 'supposed to' only get stamped until dec 31st your original end date(not a new year). At least thats what the embassy said. My feeling is, it's too complicated as the visa is infrequent, so you just get stamped another year (especially if it's hard to find any stamps that say you have entered using that visa already anyway). It's much easier to just give you another year, stamp done. However I could be wrong and they could have never thought of it and you do simply get a year everytime you enter (but you don't if you use the same visa to go to australia which is the reciprocal of the visa and the rules I would assume would have been equivalent.

If you are granted a Work and Holiday visa you can:
  • enter Australia at any time within 12 months of the visa grant date
  • stay in Australia for up to 12 months from the date of first entry
  • leave and re-enter Australia any number of times from the 12 months from the date of first entry

Being Thailand and their immigration systems though, it wouldn't be up to the state of the australian electronic ones, and hence why you get another year. We will see what happens when I come back next month.

I just happened to have to go back to Australia for various things, do some work, sisters engagement etc. Just the way it worked out, wasn't the plan.

anyway...

Hi Sikishrory,

Just noticed you replied.

Work permits, I asked canberra, they never replied to my email...haha. (so thai tongue.png)

it's not a 1 year extension, you get a 1 year permission to stay (as opposed to applying for an extension like an ED visa). You are stamped with 1 year from the date of entry. I believe and was told by the embassy that the visa is supposed to give you 1 year (not multi 1 year entries) and if you leave when you return you will be stamped with the original end date of your first entry (regardless of how long you are out). ie you enter first jan 1, valid until dec 31st, you leave in june come back you're 'supposed to' only get stamped until dec 31st your original end date(not a new year). At least thats what the embassy said. My feeling is, it's too complicated as the visa is infrequent, so you just get stamped another year (especially if it's hard to find any stamps that say you have entered using that visa already anyway). It's much easier to just give you another year, stamp done. However I could be wrong and they could have never thought of it and you do simply get a year everytime you enter (but you don't if you use the same visa to go to australia which is the reciprocal of the visa and the rules I would assume would have been equivalent.

If you are granted a Work and Holiday visa you can:
  • enter Australia at any time within 12 months of the visa grant date
  • stay in Australia for up to 12 months from the date of first entry
  • leave and re-enter Australia any number of times from the 12 months from the date of first entry

Being Thailand and their immigration systems though, it wouldn't be up to the state of the australian electronic ones, and hence why you get another year. We will see what happens when I come back next month.

I just happened to have to go back to Australia for various things, do some work, sisters engagement etc. Just the way it worked out, wasn't the plan.

sweet keep us updated if anything interesting happens

A single entry non immigrant O-A visa provides one time use only and you get a one year stay. But you can not travel out and return without buying a re-entry permit first (at 1,000 baht single or 3,800 baht multi) to obtain the remainder of that initial one year permitted to stay.

It is better for most to obtain a multi entry O-A visa (if obtaining O-A at all) as that allows one year of unlimited entry/exit and on each entry a new one year stay is stamped (so effectively serves almost two years stay - second year requiring re-entry permits for travel).

A working holiday? What will those crazy Aussies think of next? The last thing I want to do on my 10 days a year of vacation is spend it working! Enjoy the rest

It's for Australian citizens aged between 18 to 30 years old and is reciprocal with a number of other countries. Allows them to live and work overseas for one year, including USA & Thailand. Enables them to experience other countries for work and pleasure. A great opportunity for younger Australians

Edited by simple1

• 1 month later...

I did my 3 month check in yesterday and spoke to the "commander" there about this extra one year bussiness. So I can confidently clear this up once and for all now.

If you leave thailand and return before the expiry date they WILL stamp you with an additional year.

I politely insisted a few times with are you sure, etc... the guy is sure. you get 1 more year. He rides a harley with the words immigration commander or something on it so he must know what he's talking about.

• 2 months later...

Hey, firstly I would like to say thank you for posting this post. It wasn't till I read it a few months back that I had even ever heard of this type of visa. I have since applied and recieved my WHV. Very excited. I leave December 28th. It took less then two months. I have a few questions as it's so hard to find information on particular things and I really don't like leaving things so up in the air. So now that I have the visa, how do I work legally? I have work with my friends when I arrive but I want to know what's the process? Do I just start working? I don't want the tourist police telling me I'm doing something wrong. As for the list of restricted jobs, the Annex 1 on the website won't lead to anywhere. Is there anywhere else official that has this list? Who do I have to report to? Do I call a number and just say where I'm living or what? Also, when you left Australia, did the airline make you purchase a flight out of Thailand? If not, did you have to show them any letters or anything to say it's not necessary on this type of visa to have a return flight?

Sorry, i missed this was about a working holliday visa. Don't know much about those.

Believe the visa itself is also the work permit in your case, but you can only work for a limited time for the same company before you must move on.

Best to ask the questions at the labour office head office in BKK, or through the government information line1111. They speak English there and will connect you to the right person who can answer your questions. maybe have the compnay call them, to see if they need to report your presence etc. and how to go about the work permit.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know what the deal is with doing a visa run for this visa?

I know if you leave you get stamped with another year.

I'm wondering though do I need to get a re entry permit?

Can I do this in myanmar. I have a feeling only some places do non immigrant visas.

Will I have to take any documents apart from the usual. ie, proof I still have cash in the bank or medical documents etc.

anybody know??

If the visa is multiple entry and still valid all you have to do is leave the country and return. It can be done by air or land at any border crossing.

If not a multiple entry you could get a re-entry permit from immigration that would be valid until your permit to stay runs out.

Edited by ubonjoe

If the visa is multiple entry and still valid all you have to do is leave the country and return. It can be done by air or land at any border crossing.

If not a multiple entry you could get a re-entry permit from immigration that would be valid until your permit to stay runs out.

the reason i was doubtful it could be done at burma is after reading this:

"For a non-immigrant visa, the closest Thai consulates are in Penang, Malaysia and Kota Baru, Malaysia. You may also visit Phnom Penh, Cambodia. You can also get visas in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and Singapore, but these cities tend to be more expensive. The Manila consulate in the Philippines is fairly quiet. You can get visas easily in Sri Lanka, Australia, UK and theUSA. AVOID HONG KONG."

from here:

http://bangkoktimesonline.com/en/articles/visa-run-guide

it makes it sound like it can only be done in those places.

and yes it is a multi entry so good to know i don't need the re entry permit.

Just wanted to be sure

thanks

Sikishrory - Would be keen to know what work you've been doing while you have been here and how helpful the visa has been when you have been looking for work.

I'm a chef.

I wouldn't say getting a job was hard but I imagine it would be very hard for some people if they went about it the wrong way.

I put a ad on this forum and had a job in about a month and also since then had 4 other offers for work that i had to refuse.

The visa obviously makes things a lot easier in that you don't have to leave the country etc.... well only the once. apart from that only have to report every 90 days.

But yea I think if you were to just door knock and email random hotels or companies for jobs then you would probably not get a job. I also applied for loads of jobs at places like novotel, club med, hilton, etc and it got me nowhere.

• Like 1

You were told the procedure to use in post #54 and I have replied in your other thread - please do not multi-post the same question. That mis-information you have twice linked to has nothing to do with your situation. You do not need a new visa but only a new entry if a valid multi entry visa rather than an extension of stay from immigration.

As long as you make an exit and return to Thailand before your visa expires (can be day before) you will get another 1 year entry. After the visa expires you will need to get a re-entry permit to keep your permit to stay valid if you leave the country.

Edited by ubonjoe

As long as you make an exit and return to Thailand before your visa expires (can be day before) you will get another 1 year entry. After the visa expires you will need to get a re-entry permit to keep your permit to stay valid if you leave the country.

ok thanks for your help ubonjoe. hopefully it all goes smoothly.