Car Tyres

osmar

We tend to forget ,Mr Callen is an original long serving Aussie expat Taxi [TUK TUK] driver,he knows best?jerk.gif

well there are 2 main approaches to tyres

safety as in traction and braking provided by good quality fresh tyres

and saving money as in running them past expire date. I dont mind the economy approach as it is legal in TH, but please dont tell anyone its safe, even at Phuket so called low speeds.

Increasing brakingdistance with 5 meters can be mortal. In this case we talk about 30 meters longer braking distance. And please dont say its safe cause you drive carefully. No one gets to keep more than 3 seconds distance in TH, and everyone goes with the flow, which is 50-90 in build up areas and 80-120 on highways

Most of us do not travel at speeds of 160 to 180 KPM, The faster you go the longer

your stopping distance compared to the speed you are doing

In what country is there a law saying you have to change your tyres every 3 years

and what make of tyre has a expiry date on it

hehehe.

Couple of months ago I was driving a fortuna with 110k km on the 2007 Michelins. Tread still good, but scaring brakingdistance and ABS kicking in on dry paved roads. I decided to keep it below 100kmh, to be able to stop in same distance as a good car/tyre combo does at 180kmh

car tyres stored in total darkness has a noticable longer brakingdistance at 3 years old. You are running 6 yo tyres probably been out in the sun or shade most of its life, and consider them still safe cause they have tread left and are not damaged. Your looking at double braking distance when needed

if thats your way of safe motoring, we have different survival strategies

ABS should work the same on dry or wet roads as a auto expert you should know that

Since i do most of my driving in Phuket and hold a heavy vehicle license which allows

me back home to drive almost all types of vehicles, which i have done, i know how to drive

safely and at safe speeds which some people do not

As a volunteer traffic officer you should know the speed limit in Thailand is approx 100KPH not 180 KPM

OH and bye the way my car is not 6 years old yet and wont be for another 9 months

ABS kicks in when tyres lack traction. Tyres lack traction on dry roads cause they are past expire date, the rubber is hard and not as designed any more

and as a HWP volunteer I am fully aware of the speedlimits beeing 60, 90 and 120kmh, and this has nothing to do with crap tyres

safe speed for old tyres is low, safe distance would be 10 seconds, try to drive safely 10 seconds behind vehicle in front of you, I struggle to keep 3 seconds distance as someone fills the gap in no time

Safe braking distance as far as i am concerned is one vehicle length for every 10KPH you are doing

So as you drive at 160KPH you should be 16 vehicle lengths behind the car in front unless passing

at 180KPH

We tend to forget ,Mr Callen is an original long serving Aussie expat Taxi [TUK TUK] driver,he knows best?jerk.gif

and saving money as in running them past expire date. I dont mind the economy approach as it is legal in TH, but please dont tell anyone its safe, even at Phuket so called low speeds.

Increasing brakingdistance with 5 meters can be mortal. In this case we talk about 30 meters longer braking distance. And please dont say its safe cause you drive carefully. No one gets to keep more than 3 seconds distance in TH, and everyone goes with the flow, which is 50-90 in build up areas and 80-120 on highways

Most of us do not travel at speeds of 160 to 180 KPM, The faster you go the longer

In what country is there a law saying you have to change your tyres every 3 years

stopping distance = reaction time + action time + braking distance. only braking distance is related to the quality of tyres, the rest is driver related

not sure where the 160-180kmh came from, I consider max speed for 2007 tyres 100kmh

where I come from causing an accident with +3 yo tyres can be a reduction of Insurance pay out

all road legal tyres come with a mark in rubber stating manufactor week and year, lifetime depends on use. My car is in a dark garage +20 hours a day, so I may use its tyres for 3-4 years. In the Th sun or shade, its max 3 years safely

hehehe.

Couple of months ago I was driving a fortuna with 110k km on the 2007 Michelins. Tread still good, but scaring brakingdistance and ABS kicking in on dry paved roads. I decided to keep it below 100kmh, to be able to stop in same distance as a good car/tyre combo does at 180kmh

car tyres stored in total darkness has a noticable longer brakingdistance at 3 years old. You are running 6 yo tyres probably been out in the sun or shade most of its life, and consider them still safe cause they have tread left and are not damaged. Your looking at double braking distance when needed

ABS should work the same on dry or wet roads as a auto expert you should know that

Since i do most of my driving in Phuket and hold a heavy vehicle license which allows

me back home to drive almost all types of vehicles, which i have done, i know how to drive

As a volunteer traffic officer you should know the speed limit in Thailand is approx 100KPH not 180 KPM

OH and bye the way my car is not 6 years old yet and wont be for another 9 months

ABS kicks in when tyres lack traction. Tyres lack traction on dry roads cause they are past expire date, the rubber is hard and not as designed any more

and as a HWP volunteer I am fully aware of the speedlimits beeing 60, 90 and 120kmh, and this has nothing to do with crap tyres

safe speed for old tyres is low, safe distance would be 10 seconds, try to drive safely 10 seconds behind vehicle in front of you, I struggle to keep 3 seconds distance as someone fills the gap in no time

Abs stands for Anti lock breaking system and kicks in to stop any wheel locking up and skidding

All wheels keep turning until the car comes to a stop and this allows you to still steer the vehicle

hehehe.

Safe braking distance as far as i am concerned is one vehicle length for every 10KPH you are doing

So as you drive at 160KPH you should be 16 vehicle lengths behind the car in front unless passing

at 180KPH

if we follow your school, 100kmh should be 45 meters brakingdistance. your car managed that in 2006, possibly still in 2009, absolutely not any more on those tyres

and at 100kmh 45 meters distance is far to close

at 160kmh I would never dare to be only 16 vehicle lenghts behind another vehicle, even running new tyres

hehehe.

Abs stands for Anti lock breaking system and kicks in to stop any wheel locking up and skidding

All wheels keep turning until the car comes to a stop and this allows you to still steer the vehicle

I should know, I worked developing ABS (Anti Blockierungs System) as developed by Benz and Borsch in co op. Later americanized to antiwhatever

If tyre has traction, ABS doesnt kick in, so ABS kicking in on dry paved roads tell me tyres arent good

anyway, I have said what wears out a tyre, daylight being the worst enemy in TH, age is more important than treadwear. Each to their own how they want to use my info

Ok, MR clever clogs Callen....Fact....i had a new toyota car,20004,model fitted with original ,

Briidgestone .tyres.i renewd them at 35,000km and just over 3 years old,my second set also god quality Bridgestone,lasted another 3 years similar milage and still good tyre tread,i had no punctures in either sets of tyres,i check my tyres regularly..

i had a wheel wobble steering problem,so i went to Toyota for a safety check,they test drove the car and said i had a steering problem,but they could not diagnose it...i went straighto Cockpit,Phuket town,the manager who i know,test drove it,put it on the ramp,went straight to the front offside tyre,he said thats your problem,i looked,i could not see any defect..he took the tyre off and showed it me,the outside tyre had devolped a soft spot,and a slight uneven tyre surface,and this was causing,thr problem,he said he had seen this many times on tyres of this age, not just Bridge stones,other makes as well so thats also a reason why i change my tyres regular here in Phuket..SAFETY FIRST.

I suggest people google anti lock braking systems themselves

there are plenty of web sites and not listen to you Barker

Different web sites different opinions

ABS works better on DRY or slippery roads not so well on gravel

or snow

Ihave not mentioned anything about ABS,your geting confused.Peter.I have been involved in the motor industry all my working life,also in Motor sport,racing,rallying etc ..i dont after prove any thiing,i only try to give some honest advice,and thats all it is..KBB,knows what hes talkimg about and he has a vast knowledge abot most motring problems,2 wheels and 4 wheels.always interesting..and usually usefull.