Private Visa Runs.

Rooo

I'm new to this so please bear with me. is the cost for 3 people and you and your friend 3500 per person ?

and if 4 people plus you and your friend go it is 2750 per person ?

So 5 people in the car costs 17,500 Baht to do and if 6 people in the car it costs 16,500 Baht ?

maybe you could break this down a bit more for me ?

I seem to be missing something here

This is per person travelling with the driver.

i.e 3 + driver = 4 people x 3500 = 14000

i.e 4 + driver = 5 people x 2750 = 13750

There are no tricks.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one would never go through the border with anyone I do not know well. I have seen people caught for drugs before and it is everyone in the group.

Would you ever go through the border with a visa run company? Or do you only ever go alone? or with your Mum?

Never have gone through a border with my Mum...she died when I was too small to but I made at least a hundred border crossings on my own or with my daughter. I have gone through with friends to but never ones i just met after having seen a friend who went for a run from kohSamui to Penang back in the early 80s. He was going down and took a couple of friends and a backpacker he met at Pharlarn Inn who wanted a ride. I did not see him again. He spent 6 months in the Malaysian legal system till they decided that the grass the backpacker had did not belong to the driver or the other pasengers. He went home after that and as far as I know has had nothing more to do with Asia. I commend you for sharing and note that you do not drive across which is somewhat safer.

I would almost certainly NOT use a visa run company as I have always been able to do runs on my own with the agenda I wish. It is probable that if you were with a known visa run bus they would not consider all the party to be connected.

I am not saying to anyone not go. I am saying to people watch out. Most people stick within the rules a few do not.

Good luck on your trip whether you take your Mum with you or not.

The reason I posted was I had to make the very same trip and was concerned it was going to be too expensive. I have just got back. Doing it alone was easy and painless. the total cost excluding my hotel was as follows

Car hire was 3600 for the two days with full insurance and was for a 7 seater high spec Toyota 4 X 4. Leather interior and TV as well.

The ferry cost for the return ticket with Raja was just under 1000 Baht

The car came with a full tank of fuel and when i filled up before the ferry terminal as advised it was just under 2000 Baht, Call it 2000

total of 6600 Baht. If I had been able to find others to go along it would have been even cheaper.

Why would anyone want to get a minibus ?

Hotels are available in Sadao which is a nice little town from 500 Baht. mine was 1000 Baht but very comfortable and provided a tuk tuk to the border as well which included a stop at the duty free shop.

So 4 people getting together to do a visa run works out at 1650 per person minus ferry ticket and hotel. 6 people makes it 1100 per person.

A far safer and more comfortable option than risking life and limb on a crazy minibus !

Cheers all

• Like 1

Hi

I am living in koh Samui and wondering if there are many other cheap options for the border bounce I can easily go with Herbert for 1900 baht to Malaysia but I was thinking if possible and not too expensive to go to andaman island or Laos even Malaysia but to share the cost

I have to leave before 4th oct and I would rather make a bit of a holiday out of it rather than the high speed VIP bus with no toilet stops

Let me know if anyone is doing a bounce soon or if your just taking a trip I've heard you can get to andaman island from Samui for about 4000 baht 1200 for car 1000 petrol, food, boat and extra for hotel depending on how long the stay.

Any information would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Bimba

Hi guys,

I need to make a visa run and thinking of going to Burma this time.

Do you have experience with an organized trip or would you rather recommend to go on your own?

I heard Raja cancelled their 5:00 AM trip therefore all visa runs are no more possibly in one day.

Any advice is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

It has been a guideline that we do not discuss any visa run companies on this forum, due to past history.

By all means, you can organise one yourself or with some with some people who are doing a private run.

Kota Bharu Malaysia still works for tourist visa? (double or triple entry)

I like the idea of doing the visa run with a private car. I´d like to go to Kota Bharu and get multiple entry tourist visa. My date to hit the border is 27th December. If there`s anyone going there earlier(minus few days) or at the date, please pm me. 2 nights on the road plus car fees whoever comes with the solution or wants to be part of it, I´d be happy make a cool visa run.

• Like 1

Thx for the impressive list PS! But, there`s always a "but", if you dress in long pants, smart shirt, even act smart, smile and do few hoops when you leave your application, it could all be sweet(?) for two entries. Even in Kota Bharu. I shall try this as a "VisaBuster" and see, if it makes the necessary difference... Still. Looking for few people to share a car before 27th (25,26,27th as the last day to go). PM me if you feel lucky ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We (2 people) will have to go Penang in the next 20 days to get our ED visa.

We need to spend 1 or 2 nights there depending on the time of arrival.

We plan to go buy boat/bus. If anyone is interested we can do it together :)

• 1 month later...

The service my friend - Simon - and myself - Ian - are offering is a 2 day/1 night border-bounce, as follows;

8am leave Chaweng

9am ferry from Nathon to Donsak

1030 leave Donsak and drive south to Sadao border immigration point

3pm approx, arrive border in Sadao. People walk between the Thai and Malaysian check points, with time to use the Duty Free shop

4pm leave Sadao and head for Hat Yai

5pm arrive Hat Yai hotel,

Once in Hat Yai and checked into the hotel we normally then take an hour or 2 to relax, then head to nice local pub/bar where you can get nice home cooked food (Thai or Western) and a drink.

11am leave Hat Yai

4pm ferry from Donsak to Nathon

6pm back in Chaweng

Normally we use a Toyota Fortuner, or similar vehicle. We take various stops on the way as people desire for food, toilet, cigarette breaks (no smoking in car), etc

COST

3 passengers in car with us = 3500

4 passengers in car with us = 2750

These costs represent the cost of the journey, which includes car hire for 2 days, ferry, gasoline, and hotel. We are NOT making profit, we are just covering costs!

If anyone is interested in this, please PM me in plenty of time before your visa stamp expires. If we can get a car full of people to agree on dates, we will go. Oh and please dont turn up drunk, its all we ask!

Hi, can I ask you a question?

You choose to drive all the way down south to the Sadao border. Isn't it a shorter drive to Ranong (and use the Andaman Club Immigration for instance) or do you have reasons not to choose that route?

We will drive to the border this weekend with a rental car, and we have not decided yet whether to drive to Sadao and stay in Hat Yai for a night or go to Ranong and stay there for 1 night.

Any advice on the best driving route would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Aldert

Two additional questions if I may:

- I suppose you leave your car on the Thai side of the border?

- And has anyone experience with the Wang Prachan borderpost near Satun?

This seems to be a bit shorter drive from Donsak then Sadao and the borderpost is a lot smaller if I am not mistaken.

Thanks anyone for any advice on this!

Edited by thuisinthailand

Hi,

To be honest we havent done one of these runs in quite some time now. But we choose the Sadao border due to being able to stay overnight in Hat Yai, as well as being able to take advantage of the duty free shop at Sadao. I have done the Ranong/Andaman Club in the past also, but I dont particularly like the drive over the hills on the narrow roads.

Car - if we have friends with us, we will drive through the border. If it is people that we do not know personally, the car will stay this side of the border and we take the short walk through.

Edited by steelerian

If you read my response, you will notice that it mentions me bringing the insurance policy....ie the car is insured.

But what does it matter to you if my car is insured anyway?

What you were really asking is "am I covered personally in the event of a crash?"......in which case I refer you to Trop's response ^^^

I will state again - this is not a business venture, it is simply me and my friend offering to share the cost of travel with others when we go to do our own border bounces - as the title of the thread says "PRIVATE VISA RUNS".

You can join us or not, that is your choice. It matters not to me, either way.

Actually i'm not interested to join but others might be if they know in advance how much the car insurance covers them in case of accident, they might be more interested to join you Versus joining a "traditionnal" visa company.

I don't do visa runs anymore, but if it were me I'd take the question mark of a farang offering to help, over a Thai lunatic who is going to do a runner if there is an accident, and is probably employed by a company who doesn't have enough coverage anyway, but that's just me...

Edited by Yo Sup

It's nice to see people working in the spirit of cooperation to facilitate visa runs, especially considering the alternative; a mad man at the wheel who does not value your life.

Can we get some more services like this from expats helping expats. It may just bring a change to Thai culture if we band together. (I know, I'm dreaming) TV and social media, Facebook, Google+ anyone...?

Hi,

To be honest we havent done one of these runs in quite some time now. But we choose the Sadao border due to being able to stay overnight in Hat Yai, as well as being able to take advantage of the duty free shop at Sadao. I have done the Ranong/Andaman Club in the past also, but I dont particularly like the drive over the hills on the narrow roads.

Car - if we have friends with us, we will drive through the border. If it is people that we do not know personally, the car will stay this side of the border and we take the short walk through.

Thanks for your reply.

I think we will drive down south this weekend, stay in Hat Yai on the way back. Did you ever go to the Pasang Besar border (also south of Hat Yai), they say it is a bit quieter than Sadao. And any tips for a decent hotel in Hat Yai that is not too difficult to find? We have an 8 month old baby with us, so the time of the cheap guesthouses is over :)

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Just for you all to know: the border crossing at Padang Besar is a breeze, much more quiet than Sadao. We were able to take our car through the border and drive the short stretch to the Malaysian side without filling in any paperwork at all. At the Malaysian border, we just got stamped in, did not fill in any paper at all. On the way back, I incidentally took the lane for trucks and lorry (there was a short queue in the lane for normal cars, so I just took the empty one without looking at the signs....), the guy at the desk asked me why I did it, and I replied I just made a mistake. He responded: ok, don't do it next time.

All in all: very easy.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Goodbye Rain wrote

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone was planning to do a Visa are run over the next couple of weeks from Koh Samui. I was also considering renting or borrowing a motorbike to do one if there are any experienced riders who know the way.

Thanks

Goodbye Rain wrote

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone was planning to do a Visa are run over the next couple of weeks from Koh Samui. I was also considering renting or borrowing a motorbike to do one if there are any experienced riders who know the way.

Thanks

Not planning to do but it is an easy ride straight forward ride, on a bike... except for Nakkon Si Tammerat, which may be a bit of traffic...depending on time of day. Otherwise roads are generally very quite... bike lanes most of the way. You even by pass Had Yai, by going around the outskirts of the city. thumbsup.gif Generally the roads signs are very good... One area in Had Yai, is a bit confusing, where the road "T's" there you turn right, then left after about a kilometer or so! !

Nice trip down the coast road from Donsak, in to Songkhla city... across the bridge into Hat Yai..(20 kms or so) .... then down to the border at Sadao. I've done this trip several times on a Honda PCX ... great unless you run into rain w00t.gifsad.png

Best timing from Penang back to Samui was between 8 to 9 hours.... depends on how long your pit stops are wink.pngLots of PTT gas stations with 7.11's for drink or snack and gas top up!

Oh!!! if you are going in to Malaysia, (say Penang) you have to buy their insurance just across the border... better to have the papers with translation, ) You can do that at MVB in Lipa Noi... although I have read you can do at border too, but may hold you up!!) .. .. so they can stick English license letters and numbers on the bike... If you are doing a U turn at the border, you won't need to do that.

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Visarun on May 24 with private taxi.

Depart : koh phangan : 05am ferry or Donsak pier : 07:30am

Retund : same day

We are 2 people and we are looking for only 1 person for share car.

Cost 1600 thb

Anyboby interesded to follow ?

• 4 weeks later...

Just for you all to know: the border crossing at Padang Besar is a breeze, much more quiet than Sadao. We were able to take our car through the border and drive the short stretch to the Malaysian side without filling in any paperwork at all. At the Malaysian border, we just got stamped in, did not fill in any paper at all. On the way back, I incidentally took the lane for trucks and lorry (there was a short queue in the lane for normal cars, so I just took the empty one without looking at the signs....), the guy at the desk asked me why I did it, and I replied I just made a mistake. He responded: ok, don't do it next time.

All in all: very easy.

No more papers to fill on the malaysian side anyhow, even for longer trips into the country. They just put some kind of barcorde sticker into your passport. (for land and also for air travel)

• 2 weeks later...