Questions & Your Comments Needed About True Mobile Phone Service

Please note I have this posted on samui forum as it regards true phone service on samui

I have some questions to ask for those of you who are using true regarding mobile phone service here on samui

a. Mobile phone signal - its is good, bad, etc

b. Any dropped calls

c. your advise regarding pricing any good deals that you know of

d. Any locations on samui where you have no signal

The sole reason I am wanting to change to true is really I want true 3G internet service but also will need phone service for my mobile phone. I have been with dtac long time and while phone service is good I'm tired of using their slow internet service ( edge )

look forward to all your comments and answers on this

I had some differing results with one that I started using earlier this week. See

http://www.thaivisa....h-3g-usb-modem/

It does vary. It would seem that the mobile dongle is slower than the sim cards in a smart phone. My dongle is with a customer now and he says that it is OK - but no faster than the TOT standard ADSL line.

The dongle works most places in my house - except my office. Really useful (not).

I have not taken it out of the immediate area.

So, is it true 3G - maybe not in the dongle??? Others have had better results.

Edited by Tropicalevo

I had some differing results with one that I started using earlier this week. See

http://www.thaivisa....h-3g-usb-modem/

The dongle works most places in my house - except my office. Really useful (not).

I have not taken it out of the immediate area.

So, is it true 3G - maybe not in the dongle??? Others have had better results.

I am still using a the old CAT dongle, but have it tethered to a 3 foot cable so my Dongle hangs in the window....biggrin.png if you have the same type of dongle, ( I am not sure if all same same or different? ..... you just need a lady lady connector and 3 foot usb lead...! .... it could be worth a try! (shop that usually has lady lady connector is the computer shop almost opposite the post office in Maenam. )

My CAT speed acceptable enough I would not change... !

Hi Jimmy

I am with you re the CAT for speed and reliability. Unfortunately the three CAT ones that I have are all with customers! That was why I tried the Trumove one.

yeah, thought you were a CAT fan, .... I think you can buy CAT dongles at JIB computers, not sure why CATCDMA does not sell them any more... ???

A quick update on the Truemove dongle.

I lent it to a customer to try it for a couple of days on the 12th. It worked ok. Not great speeds but ok.

13th - nothing

today - nothing

The customer returned it to me saying "no thank you"

I tried to use it noiw - it took 20 minutes and having to restart my laptop twice before it would work.

Tried a speedtest to Bangkok. It failed on the upload.. (Never had that one before.) The download speed was 2.1 mbps. Ping 165

It could be that I am in a carp service area - but signal strength was on full.

So - think carefully before you buy one is my motto

(I just tried one more speed test. Download 1.70 upload failed again - but I did update this page using it)

I suspect the dongle. I use the tablet with true 3g+ sim and generally it is fine for youtube, there been one or two times no internet but when it works it does just as well as basic 3bb.. Just now tested a clip of Britians got talent (it was on the top 10 list before the flames... ) started a second after pressed and no stuttering.. Or maybe your area has problems with signal.

Edited by matt111

I suspect the dongle. I use the tablet with true 3g+ sim and generally it is fine for youtube, there been one or two times no internet but when it works it does just as well as basic 3bb.. Just now tested a clip of Britians got talent (it was on the top 10 list before the flames... ) started a second after pressed and no stuttering.. Or maybe your area has problems with signal.

I am pretty sure that you are correct Matt. So the message should be - check the area where you need it and no 3G on a dongle?

So the votes for north Plai Laem are now in.

CAT CDMA dongle - reliable and as fast as TOT 6,000 baht 900/month

TOT reliable for a while then duh. (Just had 5 days no internet.) 900 per month

AIS unlimited smart phone SIM - reliable and as fast as TOT (3G this year some time) 1,000 per month

DTAC dongle - reliable but slower than TOT/CAT 3,000 baht 800 per month unlimited

AIS dongle - not so reliable and the slowest 3,000 baht 800 per month unlimited

Truemove dongle - no good in this area 2,500 baht 800 per month unlimited

All prices are when purchased and rounded to 100 baht.

14,500 baht in dongles, 5,000 baht a month in carrier fees and still only CAT CDMA reliable internet on a laptop (does not work on the desk top)

I have just installed 3BB in parallel withTOT. Let's see how that works! 1,000 per month for 9 mbps

All of this just so that I can read Thai Visa giggle.gif