Retrirement Visa

Hi all, just got my retirement visa from Jontiem Immigration, Like pulling teeth, one rude and obnixous police "Captain" dealt with the process, couldnt help get the feeling that we farangs are not really welcome here (just my imression ) I made to henious mistake of not photcopying all the pages of the passport, my fault hands up BUT you would think I had commited a serous criminal offence. My passport was thrown back at me and was told by this women, in her not good english " copy all now, me officer" what a way to talk to customer !

i know they deal with many cases but please dont anyone tell me she was having a bad day etc. If she dont like the job then leave and go somewhere where her people skills arent needed (she hasnt got any) I just sat there smilling through gritted teeth thinking keep calm thinking son, it wont be long. I thanked her very much and walked out.

Just another question as a darent ask her, now I have the retrirement visa, do i have to go to iimigration if i want to fly back to the UK 2-3 times a year, whats the procedure? How much does this cost?

Many thanks all

paul

You have a 12 month extension of stay, not a Visa.

If you wish to leave the country you need a Re Entry Permit from Immigration. Without this your extension would end on the day you left.

1,000 Baht for a single and 3,800 baht for a multi.

Also after 90 consecutive days in the Kingdom you have to report your address to Immigration.

I didn't know you had to copy all the pages. Only the main page with your details and the latest page with entry stamp... But sounds like she was having a bad day. For some folks every day is a bad day...

You'll be sorry to hear you may need to revisit her, and buy re-entry permits. I think they're 1,000 baht each. If you forget, your retirement visa will be cancelled when you leave and you'll get a 30 day stamp when you get back, and have to go through the process all over again...

• Like 1

You have a 12 month extension of stay, not a Visa.

If you wish to leave the country you need a Re Entry Permit from Immigration. Without this your extension would end on the day you left.

1,000 Baht for a single and 3,800 baht for a multi.

Also after 90 consecutive days in the Kingdom you have to report your address to Immigration.

Many thanks for advice, should i go the day before my flight ?

Requirements vary at different offices.

When I renewed mine ( North East) they only wanted front page / visa page and entry card copied.

I think you did the right thing, just smile like they do and comply, its soon over.

Dont forget when you do your 90 day reporting you can do it by post if you want.

You can go any time you want. Always a good idea to do when applying for the extension. Saves going back.

I am slighly confusedn i want to fly back to UK on 14th April 2012 and stay for 10 days i go to immigation on say 10TH April 2012. Whei re-enter Thailand I will have aother tear exrension put in my passprt ?

Cheers

paul

You can go any time you want. Always a good idea to do when applying for the extension. Saves going back.

I am slighly confusedn i want to fly back to UK on 14th April 2012 and stay for 10 days i go to immigation on say 10TH April 2012. Whei re-enter Thailand I will have aother tear exrension put in my passprt ?

Cheers

paul

A Re Entry Permit only keeps your current stay alive. It does not add days.

You will need a passport size photo for the application.

"....I didn't know you had to copy all the pages. Only the main page with your details and the latest page with entry stamp... "

Last year, Immo at CW required, in addition to passport photo page and last entry-stamp page, a photocopy of the page with your latest visa, if you obtained a visa before entering the country.

but I dont work in a Immigration office, just a thought eh, I wouldnt have thrown the passport either, or is that because she is thai its OK ? ??

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

How many languages an Immigration officer in Thailand should speak?

I hope you're not one of these people(generaly english speaking people) that thinks everybody should speak English everywhere.

It's not ok to thrown you passport, and I am surprised she did, I deal with this lady for many years, never had to complain about her, never saw her acting like that, some very bad day or something or somebody irritated her, but still not an excuse but

as English is not her native language she may use some words in the wrong way.

I speak Flemish

and French and some German and English, I tried to learn Thai, maybe I am to old or drink to much Leo, but it doesn't work anymore, so I am very pleased I can and are allowed to communicate in English with her as with the other officers.

Edited by luckyluke

The normal requirement is data pages, entry visa/arrival stamp and last extension of stay/entry plus TM.6 card. If you change passports it will be the information transferred into the new passport and last extension/entry. For most easier to copy it all and let immigration pick out what they need.

Cheers

paul

You can get your re-entry permit from immigration, single or multi, at any time before you travel. It is valid for use until the end of your extension of stay (approx. 12 months)

A single re-entry permit allows one re-entry and is then invalid for further use.

A multi re-entry permit continues to be valid, after its first use, for re-entries until its last day of validity (the end of your extension of stay).

Upon re-entry using a re-entry permit (single or multi), immigration will put an entry stamp in you passport saying "permitted to stay until dd/mm/yy", which will be the same date as your extension of stay permits you to stay.

You must report your address to your immigration office every 90 day (90 day report) either in person or, if your office allows, by post.

When you re-enter with your re-entry permit, your 90 day report clock is reset, ie your next 90 day report should be counted from the date of re-entry.

Pheww...

Edited by rawhod

Also a caution. Be sure on re-entry into Thailand to point out you have a re-entry permit as there have been cases where they have given a visa exemption (VOA depending on country) stamp. So be sure to double check your passport stamp when returning.

Also a caution. Be sure on re-entry into Thailand to point out you have a re-entry permit as there have been cases where they have given a visa exemption (VOA depending on country) stamp. So be sure to double check your passport stamp when returning.

A very good point indeed...

In fact I write the words "re-entry permit no xxxxxxxx" on the TM6 [Arrival/ Departure Card] where it requires "Visa No."

They are capable of being very rude. For some reason, they were most rude to me for my first extension actually accusing me of presenting a fake passport! Throwing your passport back at you rudely if there is any problem is predictable. I have seen them shout aggressively at frail, old men over missing a piece of the application. Totally out of line. No excuse. Just parading their power. No, we are not customers. We are suspect supplicants and they are police officers, and sometimes they may remind us of that.

That all said, IF you do the research to present a perfectly complete application, I feel that massively reduces chances of overt rudeness. Still, expect coldness. My suggestion, just be soft spoken and polite and give clues that you accept and fake respect their total power totally, and then very good chance of things going very smoothly. It's their game.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

JT is 100% correct. The police enjoy their power trip and will belittle you whenever they feel like it. I just take a book with me, try to get my bp lower, and then force a smile -- a bit like waiting for a root canal. In Koh Samui they have threatened me, cursed at me, demanded huge money, and thrown the passport at me. It is just one of the unpleasant things you have to deal with during your wonderful time in paradise.

• Like 1

JT is 100% correct. The police enjoy their power trip and will belittle you whenever they feel like it. I just take a book with me, try to get my bp lower, and then force a smile -- a bit like waiting for a root canal. In Koh Samui they have threatened me, cursed at me, demanded huge money, and thrown the passport at me. It is just one of the unpleasant things you have to deal with during your wonderful time in paradise.

Thanks for that.

I think this kind of information is important for POTENTIAL, future expats to understand. Just because you see visa options on a website does NOT mean when you actually get in the system at Thai immigration that there is going to be a welcome wagon party for you. You are inviting yourself and your hosts are seriously not thrilled about it. If you think you can handle that, come join us.

Actually in the case of retirement extensions of stay immigration is almost always friendly if the applicant is reasonable. That things can turn pear shape is true - but it is the extreme exception in the retirement extension field as this is a simple and local process with much less chance or misunderstandings. More complex extensions are much more likely to have negative moments.

Actually in the case of retirement extensions of stay immigration is almost always friendly if the applicant is reasonable. That things can turn pear shape is true - but it is the extreme exception in the retirement extension field as this is a simple and local process with much less chance or misunderstandings. More complex extensions are much more likely to have negative moments.

I will agree with you in general if you have your act together. However, I know what I have experienced myself and the behavior I have observed happening to others, yes, at the retirement desk. Also I have noticed a pattern over the years of some posters expecting warmth and a western customer service attitude at immigration. I suppose that's possible, sometimes, at some offices, but it is a totally unrealistic expectation.

JT is once again correct. Without going too far into my past life, I was a physician and spent ten years in US embassies, and have been threatened by all types of characters. The more I am screamed at the calmer I get so I am always courteous and prepared for the worse when I enter the IO. My papers are always in perfect order, all copies are made, and my money far exceeds the requirement. In other words you couldn't ask for a more ideal candidate for the extension. Nevertheless, you are always up to the whim and temperament of the officer on duty. And rarely have I been treated with even a semblance of courtesy. If they were prison guards I could understand it, but why be rude and threatening to people who are bringing the wealth into this country?

When I gave my little rant to a friend of mine he said, They always smile and wai me when I go to the IO. I just hand over the 30K BT for the extension and everything is fine. When I explained to him that the extension was only 1,900 BT, he turned green (true story).

Edited by parallaxtech
  • Like 1

There are rude officials in every country of the world.

Why pick on Thai immigration?

I find married person VISA extension to be the best way in Thailand, as you never even meet the official who grants it (all done centrally in BK).

Edited by ludditeman

But I don't think SHOULD have to - Paradise or not.

but I dont work in a Immigration office, just a thought eh, I wouldnt have thrown the passport either, or is that because she is thai its OK ? ??

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

How many languages an Immigration officer in Thailand should speak?

I hope you're not one of these people(generaly english speaking people) that thinks everybody should speak English everywhere.

It's not ok to thrown you passport, and I am surprised she did, I deal with this lady for many years, never had to complain about her, never saw her acting like that, some very bad day or something or somebody irritated her, but still not an excuse but

as English is not her native language she may use some words in the wrong way.

I speak Flemish

and French and some German and English, I tried to learn Thai, maybe I am to old or drink to much Leo, but it doesn't work anymore, so I am very pleased I can and are allowed to communicate in English with her as with the other officers.

Im sure that it isnt unreasonable for an IO to speak a "little" bit of English, I would suggest that 85 percent of "customers" whom she has dealings with will have a "reasonable" understanding of the English language, it is, the most understood language in the world. Would you not agree? My point was she was rude, there is NO excuse for that. Nothing at all to do with me not speaking her language.

There are rude officials in every country of the world.

Why pick on Thai immigration?

I find married person VISA extension to be the best way in Thailand, as you never even meet the official who grants it (all done centrally in BK).

Fully accept there are rude/ arrogant people in all walks of life. Are we not allowed to comment on ANY body who has this "trait" officials or not ?

This was MY expirence at IO maybe not yours. I am not "picking" on any body just stating fact.

This has been my experience at Chiang Mai immigration, as well. I always come in with a pleasant attitude and am treated the same way by the Immigration officers. I've seen the same officers turn very rude when they encounter a "customer" who is angry, poorly groomed, clueless about their procedures, impatient, etc. Remember, these people are government officials, not employees of the hospitality industry who are trained to overlook all the shortcomings of their customers.

Edited by NancyL