Street Food Drinking Etiquette Question

Sortapundit

Hi guys. My Mongolian partner and I have just returned to Bangkok for a stay of three or four months after a few months in the icy cold of Ulaanbaatar. We lived in Chiang Mai for four months last year, but this is our first time staying for more than a few weeks in BKK.

As we're on an pretty tight budget during our stay here I'm not eager to return every night to our regular Suk 11 tourist haunts like (not so) Cheap Charlie's. 70 baht for a tiny Singha isn't so cheap when you can get a large bottle from 7-11 for less. We have a drink or three most nights, and I'm looking for a place to sit down with a beer and meet with our local & expat friends, most of who are also living on a budget, without bursting into tears when I check my balance at the end of the month.

So, I was wondering about the etiquette of bringing our own 7-11 sourced drinks to the street eateries. If five of us sit down at the patio furniture, a couple of us order a bowl of noodles and we crack open a few bottles of Singha, how long before we outstay our welcome? Assuming there are plenty of tables free for other customers could we stay all night as long as we buy the occasional snack, or are we going to get dirty looks until we bugger off?

Finally, are we asking for trouble for ourselves and our hosts by drinking at street food stalls that don't themselves serve alcohol? The rules were simple in CM but I don't want to end up paying a fortune to some bored cop looking for pocket money.

Cheers :)

"So, I was wondering about the etiquette of bringing our own 7-11 sourced drinks to the street eateries. If five of us sit down at the patio furniture, a couple of us order a bowl of noodles and we crack open a few bottles of Singha, how long before we outstay our welcome? Assuming there are plenty of tables free for other customers could we stay all night as long as we buy the occasional snack, or are we going to get dirty looks until we bugger off?"

You would have to put yourself in the owners shoes, How would you feel? I think leaving an hour after you finish eating would be curtiouse.

The little ally between 5 and 7 has several Thai owned beer bars that sell tallies for 80bht

The little ally between 5 and 7 has several Thai owned beer bars that sell tallies for 80bht

Oh yeah, I think I know the alley. 80 for a tall one is reasonable for the area. I just hate paying 70 for a small bottle and having to return to the bar ten minutes later for another one. There's about a thimbleful of beer in those things :)

There are plenty of bars selling lage bottles of beer for 50bht a go or less.

Your mistake is in targeting ex-pat and tourist areas in which to drink.

Drink in bars where only Thais go.

I'm happy to drink anywhere, but the missus is very much into things like couchsurfing so we often meet with people fresh off the boat. It's easy to direct new arrivals to a Suk 11 bar ("get off at Nana BTS and look for far, far too many white people"), but when you're in a local dive off the beaten track it turns farcical very quickly, especially with my girlfriend's sense of direction. It'd be handy to have a cheap street place near the tourist ghetto. Hooters suggestion sounds good :)

I suggest doing it the other way round: Find a shop that sells cheap beer, then order or bring street food in, if they do not sell cooked food then they will not get annoyed with you. Normally, Although, do ask if it's OK as a common courtesy.

Edited by meithai

You ask if it's OK for 5 people walk into a restaurant, bring their own beer, order 2 bowls of noodles, stay and party all night?

Yes, Paul, that's almost word for word what my question looks like when read through a pair of 'it's too early to read questions properly, so let's just leave a sardonic reply' glasses. Thanks for playing :P

You ask if it's OK for 5 people walk into a restaurant, bring their own beer, order 2 bowls of noodles, stay and party all night?

Yes, Paul, that's almost word for word what my question looks like when read through a pair of 'it's too early to read questions properly, so let's just leave a sardonic reply' glasses. Thanks for playing tongue.png

I would say, don't go on holiday if you are going to act like that.

It irks me when people fly half way around the world then act broke when they get there.

Yes, Paul, that's almost word for word what my question looks like when read through a pair of 'it's too early to read questions properly, so let's just leave a sardonic reply' glasses. Thanks for playing tongue.png

It irks me when people fly half way around the world then act broke when they get there.

I completely agree, the cheapskates, but I'm not on holiday. I've been living in Asia for three years, and since I run a business that's going through a rough patch I act broke because I am, in fact, almost completely broke.

Since I live with my partner and I'd like to maintain some semblance of a social life for her while I work 12 hours a day rebuilding a client base I'm looking for somewhere cheap to have a drink, you see, hence the question about the etiquette of drinking at a street cafe.

I have to say i f i were an owner you would be kicked out pretty fast. Just a bowl of noodles and then keeping the seats occupied. Especially if i did not have many seats and there are costumers waiting. Id say you would annoy the hell out of me. On the other hand if you come every night and i have more then enough chairs. Then i would not care.

Why not go out less or drink less, going out every night is more then a bit of social life if you cant afford it.

• Like 2

I completely agree, the cheapskates, but I'm not on holiday. I've been living in Asia for three years, and since I run a business that's going through a rough patch I act broke because I am, in fact, almost completely broke.

Since I live with my partner and I'd like to maintain some semblance of a social life for her while I work 12 hours a day rebuilding a client base I'm looking for somewhere cheap to have a drink, you see, hence the question about the etiquette of drinking at a street cafe.

If you run a business then you should have some inkling how a business would react to your proposal.

Find a cheap thai place of which there are 1000's, meet your friends at the bts station or whatever and take them there.

Bignote yourself along the way by pointing out all the chumps paying over the odds for a beer at those silly tourist traps with the music and the cable and the aircon etc.

Why not go out less or drink less, going out every night is more then a bit of social life if you cant afford it.

After 12 hours of work without a break a beer is more than a little necessary tongue.png

If you cant afford it you can drink it at home ?. Anyway you did not even read the other part i posted. Id say its largely dependant on the place. If it has only a few seats that are constantly filled or they have to turn clients away..

Or if its large and empty...

If you got a business you know how a business thinks it needs to make money. And if your costing it money you wont be welcome because a plate of noodles is nothing.

Money talks here. So if he has many seats available then why not offer him 100b/person to sit as long as you want provided other seats are available and buy food from him. Of course he will not be interested if you act like drunk fools after a few beer. Or thinking out of the box, why not buy a table and a few chairs, give them to him but have them reserved for you if you show up. At the end of the bkk visit they become his property. Of course you would still need to buy noodle. Just a thought!

Ahhh, playing cards. I can get on board with that smile.png

Gambling is illegal in Thailand and you will certainly have problems with the Police if you take out a pack of cards in public - even if you are not actually gambling.

Patrick

Played many card games in Thailand in public... at least at the islands. It was not gambling just with my wife and parents. Never had any problems. Would not know how it would be in BKK but i see the motocycle guys here play games sometimes.

Gambling is illegal in Thailand and you will certainly have problems with the Police if you take out a pack of cards in public - even if you are not actually gambling.

Patrick

Prostitution is also illegal in Thailand for god sakes.

Now someone plays cards all of a sudden they are a "Gambler"? Even if you are not gambling the police might arrest you.....hahahahahahahahahah. Yeah I can just see it "Excuse me sir you are under arrest for socializing.

Jesus man get a life outside of Thai Visa

Edited by Gone

Patrick

Now someone plays cards all of a sudden they are a "Gambler"? Even if you are not gambling the police might arrest you.....hahahahahahahahahah. Yeah I can just see it "Excuse me sir you are under arrest for socializing.

laugh.png "Gone fishin'....." coffee1.gif

Patrick

laugh.png "Gone fishin'....." coffee1.gif

At least fishing is fun.. will be enjoying it next month.

Patrick

You obviously have not been in Thailand for long and clearly know nothing about this situation so why comment - you simply make yourself look ridiculous to anyone who does know the law.

I can assure you that gambling is illegal here and anyone found playing cards in public - whether they are really gambling or not - will find themselves talking to a policeman very quickly.

Patrick

Patrick

You obviously have not been in Thailand for long and clearly know nothing about this situation so why comment - you simply make yourself look ridiculous to anyone who does know the law.

I can assure you that gambling is illegal here and anyone found playing cards in public - whether they are really gambling or not - will find themselves talking to a policeman very quickly.

Patrick

I witnessed a load of Thai ladies playing dominoes for 10bht a game, unmarked truck drove up, guys jumped out and grabbed all the people round the table, put them in the truck, drove off. <deleted>, police raid, 15kbht bail on each person or night in jail then judge the next morning. 5kbht fine for each of them.

Edited by ludditeman