Discrimination

Dave9000

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are guests here and always will be. If you had a guest in your home and they started to tell you how to do things, you would show them the door. Thailand never made false promises to expats, from the moment you arrive, it's made perfectly clear, you will be tolerated and nothing more. Jim

• Like 2

here we go, another 'poor bugger me' thread.

Dunno when people are going to realise it, for the most part in Thailand, if you are white, then you are generally viewed as being closer to the top of the social heap, rather than the bottom.

Try pulling the same trick if you were a issan night guard or, god forbid, a Burmese worker......

Well, another chance for you to pontificate! It is not a 'Poor bugger me' thread. It is an observation of fact, not an emotional opinion piece. If you are as knowledgable as you believe, try to offer something positive...try to make a contribution. Simplistic sniping is of little value to anyone.

• Like 1

We are guests here and always will be. If you had a guest in your home and they started to tell you how to do things, you would show them the door. Thailand never made false promises to expats, from the moment you arrive, it's made perfectly clear, you will be tolerated and nothing more. Jim

You shouldn't attempt to speak for us or present yourself in such a fashion, Jim.

We're really not all the same. A handful of us don't see ourselves as guest or strangers, because it's not terribly foreign.

More than tolerated.

• Like 2

A gate and wall combo a la Chinese style (9 feet tall) would keep the neighbour's pooping dog out or a dog of your own that considered the driveway as its territory.

Re discrimination, you need to take steps to climb the greasy status pole in Thailand. Joining the right clubs, societies, cultivating the right friendships, giving your time and effort to the right people may move you up a few notches. Boring, exhausting and mainly pointless though.

I don't think the initial topic has much to do with race.

It's just an asshol_e neighbor; they exist all over the world, their dogs poop on lawns owned by people of all races.

Next time continue hosing the dog and tell the neighbor to <deleted> off.

I don't really see why you had to get into with the wife about culing dogs in Bali to please the tourists...seriously <deleted> does this have to do with a neighbor dog pooing on your lawn...?

Edited by dave111223

Dunno when people are going to realise it, for the most part in Thailand, if you are white, then you are generally viewed as being closer to the top of the social heap, rather than the bottom.

Try pulling the same trick if you were a issan night guard or, god forbid, a Burmese worker......

Well, another chance for you to pontificate! It is not a 'Poor bugger me' thread. It is an observation of fact, not an emotional opinion piece. If you are as knowledgable as you believe, try to offer something positive...try to make a contribution. Simplistic sniping is of little value to anyone.

Well, lets start with this:

- You being chastised by a dog owner gets you relating your experience to some form of social discrimination, and indeed, discrimination against black people in the US? Gimme a break. This isn't Rosa Parks territory.

- You came across a grumpy - probably <deleted> of a dog owner, but that is it. Did you even bother to respond to him with something along the lines of "your dog just did a sh!t in my front yard...I'm in the right here"??. Or did you - excuse the pun - roll over.

- Do you have proof that that particular dog owner would have acted differently if you were Thai? Probably not. And I'm guessing he would have pulled the same stunt regardless of who you were, or what nationality you were.

- Same for the conversation with you wife, I'm betting that

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

It's just an asshol_e neighbor; they exist all over the world, their dogs poop on lawns owned by people of all races.

I don't really see why you had to get into with the wife about culing dogs in Bali to please the tourists...seriously <deleted> does this have to do with a neighbor dog pooing on your lawn...?

...and who in their right mind would live next door to a guesthouse?rolleyes.gif

You shouldn't attempt to speak for us or present yourself in such a fashion, Jim.

We're really not all the same. A handful of us don't see ourselves as guest or strangers, because it's not terribly foreign.

More than tolerated.

Well take it you have PR or a Thai passport. The rest of us have to keep getting permission to stay, I'm not complaining about the system, I choose to live here, but I will never be a Thai. They can put me on a plane when ever they want, or refuse me entry. It's their country and their right. Jim
  • Like 1

It is amaizing how dog doo doo turns into discrimination!

The OP ends up taking it out on the wife because she says don't make a big deal out of it. Why didn't you hose down the owner as well? or better still follow him home and deposit the doo doo in his front yard. I think you need to keep things in perspective and not build it all into something Just because of how American africans were/are treated in the USA.

I can't remember when a farang was linched for looking at a Thai lady!

If I caught you hosing my dog down under the same circumstances I would have punched you right in the nose!

It's a dog! an animal with no social graces! if you don't want stray dogs on your wifes property then keep the godamn gate shut!

I think you got off lightly

Edited by Livinginexile
  • Like 1

I agree with Jim's views of who, what and where we are. We do not PAY to stay here. We stay here on our own free will and paying for day to day living expenses do not give us any special entitlement or status. We are guests', not customers.

To the OP, we have to weigh up the pros and cons. There are times I get so frustrated with this country and it's people but resign myself to the fact that this is unlikely to change in my lifetime. On the plus side, I still feel that it's one of the best countries in the world to live in, retire to. We just have to keep playing by the rules if we want to continue staying here.

• Like 2

Well, lets start with this:

- You being chastised by a dog owner gets you relating your experience to some form of social discrimination, and indeed, discrimination against black people in the US? Gimme a break. This isn't Rosa Parks territory.

- You came across a grumpy - probably <deleted> of a dog owner, but that is it. Did you even bother to respond to him with something along the lines of "your dog just did a sh!t in my front yard...I'm in the right here"??. Or did you - excuse the pun - roll over.

- Do you have proof that that particular dog owner would have acted differently if you were Thai? Probably not. And I'm guessing he would have pulled the same stunt regardless of who you were, or what nationality you were.

- Same for the conversation with you wife, I'm betting that

Have to agree here with Samran, your usually higher in status. You just found a idiot Thai, there are many of those same as in every country.

I do feel im being discriminated with the land part but that is an other point.

If I cought you hosing my dog down under the same circumstances I would have punched you right in the nose!

It's a dog! an animal with no social graces! if you don't want stray dogs on your wifes property then keep the godamn gate shut!

Dont agree.. if i find my dogs shitting in front of someone opposed to in the park ill clean it up. Even though there are enough other dogs doing the same.

I don't think the root of the OP's problem lies in the average Thai's perception of him but rather in that of his wife's. Still, he's entitled to put the issue up for debate.

It would be a start if the white folks would get it straight in their own minds: Does their white skin propel them towards the top of Thailand's social strata or does it make them a target for "racism"?

Surely it can't be both?

• Like 1

If I caught you hosing my dog down under the same circumstances I would have punched you right in the nose!

What if one doesn't have a gate?

"I recently watched a documentary about Black America. It seems to me there are some parallels between being black in the US and being white in Thailand. This morning, I spotted a dog which was in the process of defecating on our driveway"

Dave9000, as stated in your OP, what are some of the parallels you noticed from the doco? You have stated 'lower caste' as one. Which other parallels do you find?

Clearly dogs do have some social graces. You don't often see them pooping in their owners house or in their own bedding.

I'm sure the dog was scarred physically and mentally from the hose down. A good punch in the nose would have fixed that owner right up! whistling.gif

Sure is easy to provoke a violent assault from you, get help. Giving a dog a "songkran" treatment is rather mild and effective.

What if one doesn't have a gate?

Put up a sign "Trespassing Stray Dogs Will Be Shot" (in Thai)

Edited by Semper
  • Like 1