How Do They Check Your Address In Thailand?

G'day, Thaivisa, just a guy with a bit of a question here.

I'm in Thailand on an ED visa, been here for about half a year so far, and recently submitted my first 90-day report. I am staying at a thai friend's apartment, and as such, didn't really have much in terms of, say, "proof of address", since the lease is in his name, and the bills come addressed to the building, I suppose. Yet at Immi here in Bangkok, they didn't really seem interested in asking for much proof of anything. Just filled out the full address of the place, didn't even present a business card and bam. Done.

Considering I've read that reporting a wrong address comes with fines and the like, I just have to wonder how can they possibly enforce fines of that type in a situation like this. Say for instance, that I up and decide to spend a few weeks at another friend's house. Does that qualify as a change of address? I don't really have anything tying me down to either address, so I find it amusing to think about Immi somehow calling up an address while someone is out, and then them having concerns about if its the true address or not. It just strikes me as a very hard to pin down subject when it comes down to enforcing fines on this. The scale can either tip far in the favor of the tourist, or far in favor of Immigration.

I'd just like to know your thoughts on this, folks.

You think/worry too much.

The only time they'd ever find out is if they came looking for you for some reason (police want you) at your address and you couldn't be contacted. I put down my place of work, immigration told me to as its a constant whereas my address changes and then they have to fill in another piece of paper. You could use the address of the language school and they'd (probably) be happy.

• Like 1

You think/worry too much.

The only time they'd ever find out is if they came looking for you for some reason (police want you) at your address and you couldn't be contacted. I put down my place of work, immigration told me to as its a constant whereas my address changes and then they have to fill in another piece of paper. You could use the address of the language school and they'd (probably) be happy.

Sounds fair enough. I guess I was just a touch worried about it, since I really want to stay out of any sort of trouble while here, but you have a good point. Besides, would take far too much manpower to keep tabs on every foreigner's whereabouts. XD

Won't you need to provide proof of address for a later extension of your ED visa stay?

You'd think so, but if one was required for the usual 3-month extensions, they haven't asked for it. As I said, been here over half a year now, done two extensions and one 90-day report, and no proof of address has been actually asked from me.

The apartment owners/ place you stay is required on a daily basis to report occupancy by any non-Thais. It is a criminal offence for them to fail to inform the police.

Some of us live with gfs/wives or their families, good luck getting them to report anything to officials.

Then there are those living in rented places where the landlords don't want to pay the 15% tax on their rental income.

Then some of us own our own houses built on other peoples land.

Then again some of us rent two places, one to 'live', one to take girls back or keep a 'mia noi'.

Edited by ludditeman

The apartment owners/ place you stay is required on a daily basis to report occupancy by any non-Thais. It is a criminal offence for them to fail to inform the police.

Wait, so if I rent out my apartment to a non-Thai, I am obligated to let the immigration office know? How? Thanks for clarifying.

Does anyone know if they actually type those addresses into a computer?

I know that when you do your first 90-day report, the address does get put into some sort of database. They then print out a document with a bar code that you present on your next report.

Does anyone know if they actually type those addresses into a computer?

I know that when you do your first 90-day report, the address does get put into some sort of database. They then print out a document with a bar code that you present on your next report.

Hmmmm....never been given more than the simple form to put your address on.

Question is....do they have someone at the back typing the addresses in a database?

That is kind of funny actually. Yes Thai Law requires Hotels and Landlords to "keep a record" of all non-Thai's living there but they are not required to report "on a daily basis" about us farangs. hahahaha Could you imagine the owners of these 1000 suite condotels calling the police "EVERY DAY" and saying "Yes I still have Mr. Jones, Mr. Bean ................... living here."

All they are supposed to do is keep the receipts and copies of the foreigners passport and the day they move in and out etc. Just normal accounting procedure for most establishments.

They have been entered into computer for many years. It may be done real time now (and was at one -stop when on Ratchada {two moves ago}) and they check on computer at Chiang Watanna and now seem to be using a barcode system. As far a confirmation it will be a police visit if they really want to check and local police have been more active (at times) in knowing who is where but priorities seem to often change.

As for hotels they are required to report and it is on a daily basis. In fact there is an online reporting system for it. Upcountry in non tourist hotels they will often register the Thai party and ignore the foreigner to avoid this extra work.

Wait, so if I rent out my apartment to a non-Thai, I am obligated to let the immigration office know? How? Thanks for clarifying.

Out of interest just looked it up. This from Immigration website:

According to section 38 of the 1979 immigration act, "House owners, heads of household, landlords or managers of hotels who accommodate foreign nationals on a temporary basis who stay in the kingdom legally, must notify the local immigration authorities within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the foreign national."

The operative word to me is temporary. A typical rental period may be one year, but the real life accomodation mentioned may be many years or even decades. Either way it's not temporary. This is obviously aimed at people passing through.....or at least, there's your perfectly valid excuse for not filing.

Long term stayers such as most apartment renters have to make their own addresses known through the normal channels like 90day report.

This has been discussed at length in the past, and from the posts and the immigration sites, it was obvious to me that I had to declare anyone occupying one of my flats whatever the period of time they were planning on staying.

What' is time consuming is that one has to go to the immigration but.....if the guests happen to arrive on a Friday or a Saturday then, one can go to the local police station and have an officer to sign the registration. The first time It was difficult for them to understand what and if they should sign but, now, when it happens within that specific timeframe , I get there with the previous papers and it goes smoothly

Edited by alyx

And pay 15% tax on your rental income.

"The rules" and "reality" sometimes don't have much in common.

Yes, there is a law -- and a form: TM.30 -- that requires registration of an "alien" who stays at your home, but who does it? Hotels routinely do, and I think some sort of online registration process was initiated for them in some tourist areas. This law is why hotels (usually) ask for your passport and TM.6 numbers, and will photocopy them.

Also, as an "alien" in Thailand, there is a law -- and a form: TM.28 -- that requires you to register your new place of stay within a certain time period. When I moved from Jomtien to Hua Hin this past spring, I reported to Hua Hin Immigrations, since I thought I would need to be officially in their area when I went for my annual retirement extension. The Immigrations Officer was mildly amused that I took the time to register my new address, but thanked me for doing so, and stapled the bottom of the TM.28 in my passport. I don't know if there is a connection, but when I did my annual retirement extension at Hua Hin in August, I was not asked for any proof of address. YMMV.