Irreversible Website Blocking Software

KRS1

Is there any kind of website blocking software that allows you to set the number of days to block a site and is irreversible, meaning that you cant change your mind and allow access to it before the timer is up?

Do it through your router. But it is reversible and it is by-passable via proxy software.

Sounds like the OP wants to limit internet access on work computers? Make sure you have admin access securely setup on each machine and then block the ports.

Expect some 'workers' to quit or revert to endless surfing and chatting on their smart phones or tablets. Ban them as well and then more will quit.

Edited by NanLaew

You didn't mention what OS you plan to do this on. If Linux, than use cron to setup a schedule to block port 80. Same cron script can re-enable it at given times. If windows, then use the Scheduler and a .bat file to do the same.

There's no way to do this that is irreversible or that can't be bypassed by someone with sufficient technical knowledge.

There are plenty of software packages out there that will do the job reasonably well. Net Nanny, Safe Eyes, CyberSitter and Cyber Patrol all spring to mind (assuming you're using Microsoft Windows.

An alternative approach is to block the DNS lookup by changing to OpenDNS as your DNS server. That may sound a bit technical, but it's very easy to implement. See http://www.opendns.com.

Do it through your router. But it is reversible and it is by-passable via proxy software.

Yeap, a person can do a pretty good job just using the router settings...settings usually called something along the lines of Parental Control where you can enter sites/domains allowed, sites/domains blocked, day of week, time of day, etc. And you can usually even setup a password that overrides any blocked web sites. And usually these settings are very, very easy to setup/maintain/change/etc., and password protected. Even the name Parental Control implies setup/use won't be too hard...like the everyday mom or pop can do it. Just set up the controls and then control the password(s). And everything I've just said is based on looking at the Parental Control menu for the router than came with my current True cable internet....and what I remember about my other routers I have used.

Edited by Pib

Again, everything is reversible via a vpn, that is, if your staff are THAT technically knowledgeable. If the op only wants to stop the facebook virus consumed by the pretty little Thai girls at the office, then router or parental software is really all that you need.

Every area at my workplace has fb on all the screens. Seriously, they need to get a life.