Feds Shut Down 'Megaupload'

Supernova

I've been using Filesonic for about a year and LOVED it. So sad its gone.

I read that Megaupload had 50million users? At an average of say $8 a month that's 400 million dollars a month?! Then add Fileserve, Filesonic etc etc and thats a huge payday by any means. I cannot believe that the studios producing the content do not want to move to a subscription based service direct to the end customer rather than through the normal distribution channels. I would gladly pay a set price per month for legal access to all the programmes I am used to downloading in 720p rather than pay True to cut them to shreds and send them out at such poor resolution they are unwatchable on a big TV

So, I'm not going to hand over money to another cyberlocker service as I'm sure they will all be doing a runner in the coming weeks. Are torrents a viable alternative in Thailand? Any other viable alternatives?

Would stick to irc or torrents for now. Going to wait a while to see how the usenet crowd reacts then maybe go that route if they dont start folding.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why doesn't Hollywood buy Megaupload? Problem solved.

Thats EXACTLY my point. If ya cant beat 'em join 'em....... music industry starting to do this through services like Spotify but where are the movies and TV and where is Spotify in Thailand?!

I hear Rapidshare has announced they are not bothered by what is happening and not going to change the business model......worth a shot? For 9 Euros WTH I suppose....

• Like 1

Oh gee poor little Sweden under all that pressure from the big bad ole usa just HAD to prosecute the owners and shut down pirate bay. Try getting any worthwhile off pb these days and tell me it is still worth a crap. If this so called pressure from the us forced them to instigate this action (which it didnt, try looking in the EU for that pressure first) then I hope they dont get invaded by little schoolgirls anytime soon.

Oh gee poor little Sweden under all that pressure from the big bad ole usa just HAD to prosecute the owners and shut down pirate bay. Try getting any worthwhile off pb these days and tell me it is still worth a crap. If this so called pressure from the us forced them to instigate this action (which it didnt, try looking in the EU for that pressure first) then I hope they dont get invaded by little schoolgirls anytime soon.

at this point you're obviously trolling so i'll give you a 3/10, you can do better. this, or your hamster hacked your TV account :D

Why doesn't Hollywood buy Megaupload? Problem solved.

Thats EXACTLY my point. If ya cant beat 'em join 'em....... music industry starting to do this through services like Spotify but where are the movies and TV and where is Spotify in Thailand?!

I hear Rapidshare has announced they are not bothered by what is happening and not going to change the business model......worth a shot? For 9 Euros WTH I suppose....

I have been using Rapidshare premium for the last nine months and always maxes out my connection.

It is not just the USA artists, a guy made a film in Malaysia and it got stolen and spread across the internet before he even had it released.

So it is all artists from all countries that are affected by the wild wild west internet.

You complain about the rampid corruption here in thailand and yet you are for your own corruption of these artists works.

There should be protection, for a certain period of time, like there is for drugs, so we can ensure there will be new drugs coming on the market, after the expiration date, then they are public domain, none of this endless generations relatives living off of the one artist in the family, Isn't www.netflix.com/ a legal, resonably priced way to watch what you want?

US Bandwidth Consumption

US-bandwidth.png

Europe Bandwidth Consumption

Europe-Bandwidth.png

Netflix is a good idea and it works but they are having to fight tooth and nail to expand their services, I believe most people resort to piracy because a lack of affordable/accesible quality options. Also art is not comparable to drug safety. Make shit art nobody buys it, shit drugs you die. Make good art people buy it, good drugs people buy.

Source: http://www.mondaynot...ital-ecosystem/

It is not just the USA artists, a guy made a film in Malaysia and it got stolen and spread across the internet before he even had it released.

So it is all artists from all countries that are affected by the wild wild west internet.

You complain about the rampid corruption here in thailand and yet you are for your own corruption of these artists works.

There should be protection, for a certain period of time, like there is for drugs, so we can ensure there will be new drugs coming on the market, after the expiration date, then they are public domain, none of this endless generations relatives living off of the one artist in the family, Isn't www.netflix.com/ a legal, resonably priced way to watch what you want?

Edited by justsumhelp

US Bandwidth Consumption

US-bandwidth.png

Europe Bandwidth Consumption

Europe-Bandwidth.png

Netflix is a good idea and it works but they are having to fight tooth and nail to expand their services, I believe most people resort to piracy because a lack of affordable/accesible quality options. Also art is not comparable to drug safety. Make shit art nobody buys it, shit drugs you die. Make good art people buy it, good drugs people buy.

Source: http://www.mondaynot...ital-ecosystem/

good info, I don't see Megaupload in there and they supposedly had a large piece of the pie as well.

I was only using the drug thing for a limited time period before copyrights expire and become public domain so all can access them legally.

Nothing to do with drug safety, but since you brought it up, are not these pirate sites unsafe and potential virus and worm infections?

So in other words thousands of people saw a film they would have otherwise known nothing about?

Netflix is a part way to a great solution although you can't watch everything and of course where is it in Thailand?! There are many many shows I've got hooked on by downloading from Filesonic/Hotfile etc that I would have never ever taken a punt on if I had to pay 3 bucks an episode........ give me the buffet thanks, a la carte aint that attractive to me

So in other words thousands of people saw a film they would have otherwise known nothing about?

Netflix is a part way to a great solution although you can't watch everything and of course where is it in Thailand?! There are many many shows I've got hooked on by downloading from Filesonic/Hotfile etc that I would have never ever taken a punt on if I had to pay 3 bucks an episode........ give me the buffet thanks, a la carte aint that attractive to me

I think the point is, now he cannot release his movie and thus has done all that work for free, you don't get new movies, music, books, tv programs, etc etc etc if they are not going to be compensated. Nobody can survive working for free.

Why capitalism works and totalitarianism fails

The Secret Document That Transformed China

http://www.npr.org/b...ansformed-china

where communism goes, famine follows, happened in russia, china, n korea, etc etc etc

Totalitarianism, whether a theocracy or non theocracy, is the worst form of monopoly, there is zero incentive to do anything.

Humanity comes to a standstill and then reverses back to hunter gathering

Edited by z12

http://bit.ly/xfumPJ would suggest Kin Dotcom had it coming.

I like the comments under said article.

While it's true that "Kimvestor" as he was known in a previous life is a scammer, I don't believe Megaupload actually did anything illegal - letting people upload files and share their links is not a crime is it? I never used sites like this - too scammy for my tastes and besides I have this old fashioned pirate's ethos - what's pirated must be free; never pay for pirated stuff. As soon as you pay for it, it's stealing. But that's just me...

But... the much bigger crime here is how the "suspect" is treated. We should be *very* concerned about how the US authorities can simply freeze assets and arrest a man in NZ without due process. He hasn't been convicted of anything, only charged. Innocent until proven guilty? A concept from a forgotten era, it seems... it's almost comical how closely the USA follow the lefts fear of building a fascist state...first terrorists were outside the law because... well because they're just bad, can't trust the law to take care of them. Next up: File sharers. What's next, USA?

PS: The Kim character is living in his own movie, has always been like this. Before he was anything he was "Kimvestor" a guy who sold himself as a super hacker (without having actually hacked much). He went through great effort to pretend to be rich all his life. A movie will be made about him at some point, it's inevitable.

Edited by nikster

There are two things underlying this:

One - Hollywood's business model is dying. In the death throes, all they can think of is lawyers. In reality movies will continue to get made and paid for by audiences, just the distribution model will be radically different from now. And different middlemen will make money.

Two - US congress is bought and sold, it's a complete joke at this point. America is under a tight corporate rule of a government for the corporations, by the corporations. Democracy is irrelevant as both parties are equally bought and sold. The system is broken.

• Like 1