Why

hellodolly

I think it's just the ages of the majority of Farangs in Thailand, they would be moaning wherever they lived.

Miserable old git, Grumpy old Fart, etc etc..

Although I do in some ways understand it, they live in a country where nothing is sure, can't get free medical, currency rates are hurting many, they know that the young wife is just waiting for them to pop their clogs so she can get a Thai man her own age at last, now she is financially secure that is.

I do know some elderly chaps that are not miserable though, but they are financially secure and stay here by choice, they do not have to stay here because they have nowhere else to go.

Oh Hum. jap.gif

I think the young fellas complain disproportionately. To be fair, the old fellas are generally more abusive, rather than actually complaining; they're mostly not saying things should be better, they're just saying "its all crap"; "she's only after your money" "you've got no hope - you'll end up a dead-beat like me".

The young fellas are on and on about other people's driving, other people's rubbish-burning, other people's beer guts, other people's ages, other people's girlfriends' ages, other people's girlfriends' mothers' ages and saying we should all do things the way that they think is right and proper.

If you can't learn to let the klong-stink drift over you without becoming distressed, then perhaps you need to move on somewhere else. But equally, if having a little rant on TV helps, I think most of us are able to see the benefit of venting that frustration here, rather than in the post office queue, and if we get incensed by the occasional stream of spleen, then perhaps we should either learn to live with it, or be more selective in the threads we open. If you can't stand the language, stay in the lounge bar...

There's also a lot of old fellas (and young fellas) that don't complain, but we rarely see threads "Isn't it Just Tops that there are so many happy folks here enjoying themselves!". Normally, when such a thread is started, its done in a confrontational way that just lets the whingers jump in...

Talking of which, I think that TV owes Ryan Giggs and his ilk an apology for the number of times whingers is written "wingers"

SC

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....so she can get a Thai man her own age at last.

Such a myth. They don't want nor like Thai guys.

Others may not recognise the sarcasm, nor the irony.

I believe that most bar girls would give their eye teeth for a decent, trustworthy, hard-working Thai boyfriend. In his absence, a similar foreigner is the best that they can hope for, and often, in their circumstances, much easier to come by, perhaps due to social prejudices in Thai society.

Unfortunately, their ideals are not matched by their discernment... which perhaps results in disllusionment and perhaps the same bitterness that we see in so many of our fellow posters here

SC

Why? Because they see themselves as victims.

Victims see problems as an occasion for persecution rather than a challenge to overcome. They feel persecuted by everyone and everything. They are angry, annoyed and and are not happy if they are not complaining about something or someone. It is not a problem with Thailand, the problem lays within.

yes it's normally down to frustration with the language etc and when you get frustrated you want to blame something. My wife is Filipina and sometimes the visa issues and cost of living makes me think of moving to the Philippines but I know that if you want to live on the beach in the tropics you can't beat Thailand. After some frustrations have been resolved I always say that I am in love with Thailand again.

I love living in Thailand have a wonderfull Thai familly and lots of nice Thai friends ,i am also one of those "grumpy" over 60's although i usually have a smile on my face . But it still does not change the fact that half the Thai people i come across ,especially the m/bike drivers couldnt blow their hats off if their brains were made of gunpowder.

have a nice day

i guess it is ok to notice 'differences' but not to hold it against them?

Is this going to be a daily topic? Perhaps there should be some sort of Farang Defense League to fight the fact that other farang do not like everything about the 2nd world developing country that is Thailand.

2nd world meant communist I think.

Yes, 'meant' indeed; but since the demise of the Soviet Union, Thailand got promoted like a whole lotta 'democracies' and tin-pot dictatorships into Division 2.

But I do like the FDL idea... see how long they last.

Most of the complainers are old (60+) and kinda set in their ways.

Don't fret though; between the rising cost of living here, the economic state of many their homelands and the resultant consequences for the currencies in which their pensions/incomes are denominated, it's very likely we'll see even more of 'em return home soon anyway.

Still, it doesn't stop them from posting on here.

Youth is so wasted on the young.

jb1

And the discussion finally turns to bar girls, what they want, etc, etc...what took so long? Oops, sorry...forgot the advice not to open a thread if you don't like what's being said.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

+1

And you know what you can do if you don't like it. smile.png

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

And the discussion finally turns to bar girls, what they want, etc, etc...what took so long? Oops, sorry...forgot the advice not to open a thread if you don't like what's being said.

+1

jb1

Add a gratuitous comment that has no relation to the original topic.

A lot of our regular posters have strong feelings on certain topics, and always bring them into any discussion. Its like trying to have a discussion with a rugby league fan without them complaining about the amount of television coverage they get.

But they still watch the Union on TV when its on, and enjoy the sun and the beer and the temples and the golf. Just because they complain about that one topic, doesn't mean they're unhappy...

SC

+1

jb1

Add a gratuitous comment that has no relation to the original topic.

A lot of our regular posters have strong feelings on certain topics, and always bring them into any discussion. Its like trying to have a discussion with a rugby league fan without them complaining about the amount of television coverage they get.

But they still watch the Union on TV when its on, and enjoy the sun and the beer and the temples and the golf. Just because they complain about that one topic, doesn't mean they're unhappy...

SC

What?

jb1

Most of the complainers are old (60+) and kinda set in their ways.

Don't fret though; between the rising cost of living here, the economic state of many their homelands and the resultant consequences for the currencies in which their pensions/incomes are denominated, it's very likely we'll see even more of 'em return home soon anyway.

Still, it doesn't stop them from posting on here.

Youth is so wasted on the young.

jb1

Yes and i am not young enough to know everything,

and mrs Mills always going on about young Thai girls waiting for the old man to die so she can marry a Thai boy .

methinks thou doest complain a little to much ---not quite the quote but dont put all your problems on the rest of us.

This thread is like asking "Why do newspaper always completely only run stories that are bad news?" - answer is, as a species we talk about when things are not good, but enjoy things that are good. So, bad news gets a better hearing. If you posted a nice story, thread would die by page 2, post a moan and it just keeps going until the inevitable squabble causes the mods to squash it.

This is a Thai forum, people here are long term stayers or regular visitors by and large, so to be in context it is Thailand and Thais (and a lot of negative is also about us foreigners here too don't forget) that get talked about. I bet most of the real moaners also moan about other people, times, things, places and so on, too.

I guess most people who contribute to this Forum are mainly middle to old aged...

On our staff at work the worst whiners about Thailand are the farang in their 20's and 30's.

So shall we check our age-ist attitudes at the door? (That, or risk getting clubbed by our walkers and canes?) neus.gif

Edited by Fookhaht

I would agree with what Richard Smith wrote on this subject. Most of us can see the failings and problems in Thailand. And, if we have spent any amount of time here we have also see many of the poorer class Thais who do pretty stupid things. But, that doesn't mean we don't also weigh the bad with the good, and in most cases the good usually out weighs the bad. However, personal finances can make a huge different in the outlook of many people.

As I've said many times, it is the things than annoy us the most that are also part of what we love about Thailand and its people.

Well certainly a lot of good points here.

For myself I tend not to see bad things I see different things. That is not to say if it is bad by Thai standards I will then call it bad. The hardest part for me is to drop all my western standards and try to fit in to the eastern standards. Some times I am great at it other times I don't do that well.

Please be careful with the age profiling I am 70 and loving it here in Thailand. I am in my seventh year here in Thailand and enjoying it. (that is both being 70 and being in Thailand)

It was certainly refreshing to read the number of non biased opinions here.

Keep them coming.

Yep! i don't think age has anything to do with it. In my opinion, its just frustration, we don't really expect or intend to change it. But as my old mum used to say..........."It gets on my tits"

My sister recently visited Thailand for the first time (I've been trying to get her here for years). She's married 25 years, 2 kids, government job ... real straight up and down sort of girl.

Finally, late last year, she came, had a blast ... but commented along the lines of "what an amazing place ... pity they didn't do (insert your personal grievance)".

My reply was ... Thailand the perfect imperfection.

An amazing country, amazing food and culture.

Maybe boredom plays a large part for the negative comments, maybe it’s an ‘English conversation’ (through the medium of the web) that they crave or possibly a vent for frustrations which they are experiencing in their personal lives but can not vent there and find this an easier way to ‘yell’ here … who knows … I certainly don’t.

My thinking is … why try to change what you can not understand, reflect, relax and accept what you can not change and enjoy the best years of your life here cowboy.gif

Edited by David48

My sister recently visited Thailand for the first time (I've been trying to get her here for years). She's married 25 years, 2 kids, government job ... real straight up and down sort of girl.

Finally, late last year, she came, had a blast ... but commented along the lines of "what an amazing place ... pity they didn't do (insert your personal grievance)".

Maybe boredom plays a large part for the negative comments, maybe it’s an ‘English conversation’ (through the medium of the web) that they crave or possibly a vent for frustrations which they are experiencing in their personal lives but can not vent there and find this an easier way to ‘yell’ here … who knows … I certainly don’t.

My thinking is … why try to change what you can not understand, reflect, relax and accept what you can not change and enjoy the best years of your life here cowboy.gif

Many...well most, only find non-Western cultures through a Western perspective - naturally. Therefore are always looking as to why they aren't like us and why don't they want to be like us.

The observed anxiety is baffling....attempting, in one manner or another, to change the offending cultural/societal to fit their "civilised" standards. These activities go on everywhere, not just Thailand.

Many...well most, only find non-Western cultures through a Western perspective - naturally. Therefore are always looking as to why they aren't like us and why don't they want to be like us.

The observed anxiety is baffling....attempting, in one manner or another, to change the offending cultural/societal to fit their "civilised" standards. These activities go on everywhere, not just Thailand.

I think its perfectly ok to criticize things in Thailand. There are many things here that are dangerous / stupid ect. Just look at how the flood was handled or the corruption here. Not to mention traffic.

I love it here but its not perfect, i accept that these things are here. But i feel that there is nothing wrong to complain about it. The Thais i know will complain about them too. You should have heard the people here in the village when we were all flooded because they wanted to save other parts (and failed).

I think people tend to forget that Thais also complain, but are a bit less vocal about it. When someone was burning garbage near us, my gf started to complain to me. I told her complain to the idiot who did it. But someone else was faster and the burning stopped.

This ain't a new fodder to explore.

Quite redundant.

Indirectly and directly - been done to death.

And done to death recently. I'm of a mind to close this one if there isn't a vastly original angle left to cover popping up soon.

Ok, I'll try. I think it's because many expats don't try to interact with the local Thai people. They hang around in Farang bars/restaurants and will never understand the mind of Thai people, no matter how long they stay in this country. Hence they are complaining that the Thais do things in a different way than they are used to from their own country.

Edited by Semper

^Ok, I'll bite, too. This gets back to the whole 'denial of Thailand' thing. You're describing the people who can't seem to find their way into a place which isn't full of tourist-conditioned Thais. Then, of course, they're shocked that they can't find good, average, ordinary people. I've had types like this tell me- in all honesty and indignation!- that Thailand simply didn't like foreigners anymore because they kept running into surly and unfriendly reactions around Silom/Patpong. When I point out that these reactions don't exist in other areas (i.e., 99.9999% of Thailand), there are a litany of excuses about why you just "can't" go to those places.

But this is not really a new thing, is it?

I love it here but its not perfect, i accept that these things are here. But i feel that there is nothing wrong to complain about it.

We all complain, but not in the most spiteful, stereotypical way possible over and over again. That is what get's on most member's nerves. Complaining is OK. Irrational hate speech is not.

• Like 1