Drugs Test - Cannabis?

I need to get a drug test to renew my work permit. I have been in Thailand living and working for 12 years! I am from Amserdam and often go back home where cannabis is legal. I NEVER use it in Thailand but I am wondering if anyone knows a hospital that does a drug test that check for only Class 1 drugs and doesn't check for cannabis.

Please advise.

A urine sample is unlikely to reveal cannabis use if it's more than a month since you went home.

Unfortunately the half-life of THC varies greatly from person to person so there's no hard and fast rule, but a month should be long enough for the majority of people.

• Like 1

The OP or his employer may be confusing the blood test for syphilis with a drug test.

Or if he works for a bigger industrial-type employer, they often carry out annual drug tests on their employees. This is not legally tied to the Work Permit though. This drug test is usually embedded in the annual health check and usually focuses on amphetamine use. I doubt they bother to check for cannabis.

Whichever it is, it sounds as though there is some confusion on the OP's part.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

Cannabis is not "legal" in the Netherlands. It is a misdemeanour and the law is rarely enforced, BUT, that doesn't make it legal.

Its as legal as it can be anyway drug USE is legal in Holland. Possession is not. I am from Holland and my friend is a cop. So please get your facts straight. They might arrest you if your obviously intoxicated or high and bothering other people.

As for the OP i doubt cannabis stays in your blood real long.

Friend did one recently....his first test was way over....waited 2 weeks and all gone....that was a combined 6 weeks though without anything in his system......normally it takes 4 weeks to flush out, but he grew some mean shit that lingered a little longer.

• Like 2

I work for a medium sized Thai company in the oil and gas sector. Drug screening is part of the annual health check up, they check for opiates, amphetamines and cannaboids. Staff can choose when to do their medical within a 2 month window, so the whole thing is a bit pointless anyway.

This is NOT however a work permit requirement, this is my employers requirement, and if your employer tells you different they are bullsh1tting

• Like 1

The OP or his employer may be confusing the blood test for syphilis with a drug test.

Or if he works for a bigger industrial-type employer, they often carry out annual drug tests on their employees. This is not legally tied to the Work Permit though. This drug test is usually embedded in the annual health check and usually focuses on amphetamine use. I doubt they bother to check for cannabis.

Whichever it is, it sounds as though there is some confusion on the OP's part.

I am sorry about that. I messed up my facts a bit BUT my employer is requiring the drug test and they said it is mandated by the government for a work permit.

I thought so.

I think the company can enforce any kind of drug tests it seems fit but they are not telling the truth by saying it is a legal requirement for obtaining a work permit.

Ultimately, this is the company that must process your work permit, so you must comply with their drug test procedures. A good union rep would help you if you were a regular local employee but as a foreigner who has not yet started work, you are on your own.

Best bet for you is to go and get yourself tested for cannabis and see if anything shows up. Go to a reputable hospital in a large city.

Edited by Briggsy
  • Like 1

Cannabis is not "legal" in the Netherlands. It is a misdemeanour and the law is rarely enforced, BUT, that doesn't make it legal.

complete <deleted>

You think so?

Maybe a few posters need to take their own advice ant get their facts straight. See supplied links.

I could have added dozens more, but, they say the same thing which is EXACTLY what I said in my original post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_the_Netherlands

http://www.dailysmoker.com/cannabis-legal-amsterdam-netherlands

http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/FAQ.html

Canabis is illegal in the Netherlands, posession is just not prosecuted under a minimum quantity. But it can still be confiscated, which ocassionally happens if someone wants to be a little bit too smart against the police.

Further discussion of this might be interesting, but also off topiclet's stick to the question. Especially since we seem to be starting to flame eachother.

Let's stick to the question about testing.

Thanks, Here is a quote about testing:

How long drugs are detectable in the system depends on a number of factors:

The drug taken

How much and how often taken

Body weight

Individual metabolism

Sensitivity of testing used

Body fluid/tissue used (blood, plasma, urine, saliva, sweat, hair)

Other substances taken (e.g. dilution of urine sample, masking agents or adulterants)

Most urine tests are simple colour-change screening devices, which can react positively to other inactive substances, and should always be confirmed with a detailed GCMS forensic analysis (Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry).

A single hit of cannabis may disappear in a few days, whereas heavy or chronic use can be detected in urine up to a month after stopping. Amphetamine is detectable for up to a week.

A low level of cannabinoids in urine can readily be produced from passive exposure to cannabis smoke, from being in a room, car, bar, concert etc with others who are using. If a responsible test is used, there should be a cut-off level below which a negative result would result, to avoid 'false' positives from passive exposure. The more sensitive the test, the greater the number of false positives, and the longer period for detecting drugs in urine after the last use.

One way to minimise the risk of a positive result is to avoid giving a sample from the first pee of the day, and to maximise the volume of urine produced e.g. by drinking plenty of water or coffee (caffeine is a diuretic) before the test. Several websites offer various products claimed to beat the drug tests, but I am unaware of any which are effective every time. A money back guarantee is no compensation for losing a job, and a legal principle prevents you suing them.

One way to minimise the risk of a positive result is to avoid giving a sample from the first pee of the day, and to maximise the volume of urine produced e.g. by drinking plenty of water or coffee (caffeine is a diuretic) before the test.

This is a falacy. THC which is the active ingredient within cannabis is not soluble in water, only on fats.

What the urine does is pick up fatty molecules that are excreted into the urine. Drinking more fluids does not get rid of any more of these fat cells from your body.

If you know you have a test coming, first, start exercising. This increases the bodies metabolism so that the tainted fat cells get burned up, or, excreted quicker. Three days before the test do no exercise and stuff your body with fatty foods. All this fat you take in is not tainted. Hopefully, by the time you take the test, the untainted fat cells within your urine will far outnumber the tainted cells.

• Like 1

people i know that take drugs here knowing they are going to get checked on return to work avoid cannabis as it can stay in the system for up to 3 months. they are in armed forces or in contracts with the cruise ships and get tested up on return.

NO you dont need drug test for work permit, or i dont and never known anybody that has, i would be suprised if the employer does not specify which hospital they will accept test from.

surley you must have known you would be coming back with it still being present in the blood, it is known for having a long lasting risudual effect.

I'm curious as to weather the standard drug test administered by the Thai police in clubs and discos that get targeted for a raid is designed to detect cannabis use as well as amphetamine use. (This being the standard piss test that turns purple if it the tested individual has taken amphetamines). Is it designed to react to cannabis use?

As far as I know it is possible to detect heavy cannabis use for up to three months after the user last took the drug in some cases. It depends on the amount and the strength of the drug consumed and on the metabolism of the user.

Whilst I can fully understand that drug testing might be required and advisable for Jet pilots, HGV drivers, Surgeons, and other people working in professions where their ability to coordinate themselves may affect the safety of others, the increasing use of drug testing in all sorts of other jobs is becoming pervasive and is a real human rights issue... I used to work in the security industry in the UK. Our company tried to introduce mandatory drug testing, but were unable to enforce it on anyone who had been with the company for more than two years. Even when an employee found themselves transferred to a new company, (As happened often when a company changed their security firm and the guards on site elected to remain on that site), a guard who had been employed for over two years, and whose contract of employment didn't previously include a mandatory testing clause was protected from mandatory testing by the new security firm by virtue of the TUPE (Transfer of undertakings, Protection of Employment) legislation.

Sadly such employee protection is not applicable in Thailand unless it's a UK firm, and maybe not even then.

• Like 1

So is it a work permit requirement? I am being told it is. I called one hospital and they said it was a new work permit requirement. Another one said it was not.

As far as the police urine tests done in discos, they target Class I drugs only, not cannabis. The unfair thing about this is I know many expat tecaher strung out on Xanax that they buy illegally at pharmacies.

• Like 1

So is it a work permit requirement? I am being told it is. I called one hospital and they said it was a new work permit requirement. Another one said it was not.

As far as the police urine tests done in discos, they target Class I drugs only, not cannabis. The unfair thing about this is I know many expat tecaher strung out on Xanax that they buy illegally at pharmacies.

As per my post earlier it is definitely not a work permit requirement.

The pee tests done in nightclubs in Thailand are very unsophisticated (read cheap), and target amphetamines only. The good news for all you speeders, is that on the few occassions I have been present during a raid, all the farangs have been told to leave before they commence said testing.

• Like 1

Isnt the OP asking where to get drug tests for class 1 drugs? Testing for weed can be done at any hospital. Testing 4 class 1 drrugs, meth,shoulnt be too hard! Cops are checking all the time! Simple urine test I would guess. Try a non decript clinic?

Thanks, Here is a quote about testing:

How long drugs are detectable in the system depends on a number of factors:

The drug taken

How much and how often taken

Body weight

Individual metabolism

Sensitivity of testing used

Body fluid/tissue used (blood, plasma, urine, saliva, sweat, hair)

Other substances taken (e.g. dilution of urine sample, masking agents or adulterants)

Most urine tests are simple colour-change screening devices, which can react positively to other inactive substances, and should always be confirmed with a detailed GCMS forensic analysis (Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry).

A single hit of cannabis may disappear in a few days, whereas heavy or chronic use can be detected in urine up to a month after stopping. Amphetamine is detectable for up to a week.

A low level of cannabinoids in urine can readily be produced from passive exposure to cannabis smoke, from being in a room, car, bar, concert etc with others who are using. If a responsible test is used, there should be a cut-off level below which a negative result would result, to avoid 'false' positives from passive exposure. The more sensitive the test, the greater the number of false positives, and the longer period for detecting drugs in urine after the last use.

One way to minimise the risk of a positive result is to avoid giving a sample from the first pee of the day, and to maximise the volume of urine produced e.g. by drinking plenty of water or coffee (caffeine is a diuretic) before the test. Several websites offer various products claimed to beat the drug tests, but I am unaware of any which are effective every time. A money back guarantee is no compensation for losing a job, and a legal principle prevents you suing them.

As aside information i would make remark that besides those drugs an innocent ingridient from bakery as moon seeds on breads can give a "fake positive " , i know this because i did several clinical medication tests (good payed clap2.gif ) in the past , and always in the before screening session they instruct us not to consume moonseeds covered breads before the testings because that

Definately a work permit requirement here in Surat Thani Provnce and has been since early last year.

Definately a work permit requirement here in Surat Thani Provnce and has been since early last year.

Wrong - the WP requirements are clearly stated on the labour department website. Can't seem to post a link but you may be clever enough to use Google?

QUALIFICATIONS OF AN ALIEN ENTITLED TO APPLY FOR A WORK PERMIT

1. Having residence in the Kingdom or having permission to stay in the kingdom temporarily under immigration law (i.e not simply as a tourist or transit - traveller)

2. Not applying for work in any of the 39 reserved occupations ( as a stated in the Royal Decree. B.E.2522).

3. Having the knowledge and/or skills to perform the work as stated in the application for a work permit.

4. Not being insane or mentally sick.

5. Not being sick of leprosy, tuberculosis, drug addiction, alcoholism, and eephantitus.

6. Not having been imprisoned due to a violation of an immigration law or an alien working law within one year of applying for work permit.

This clearly fals under drug addiction, and they can of course test or it.

I recently had my WP renewed and all they required was a health certificate. I did not have to retake a syphilis test or do a drug test (which I have never been asked to do). I have renewed my WP 3 times and this was always the case. But it may have changed since the new year.