Drugs Test - Cannabis?

Thanks for shedding some facts on the case, Mario.

However, your list doesn't mention syphilis tests but these are mandatory now. Why is that? Slightly off topic, I know.

The syph. test was later added to the list, but the labour website was not updated to reflect this.

The information is from: http://wp.doe.go.th/sites/eng/index.html

As per my post earlier it is definitely not a work permit requirement.

You are quite wrong here, a health check is a new requirement since last year for work permit renewals (normal work permits, teachers do follow different rules altogether).

One of the checkboxes on the test sheet, indicating for what is tested, is 'Drug Addiciton', besides Alcoholism, Syphilis, Elephantiasis, etc. My blood test was done within little more than half an hour, cost (I think) THb 300 or something in that ballpark in a government hospital.

It was pretty much one of those in-out things like the eye test for the driving licence, and seemed more like something, where the hospitals have taken the old, usual THb 50-Test where your blood pressure was measured away form the street clinics to make it hteir own little money spinner.

As such I would assume that it is a very unsophisticated test, and with Amphetamines the main worry of the government here, that the test will target them. If you have not come into contact with Marihuana very recently, I do not think that there is much reason to worry about it.

In any case: if you are really worried, why not do something very simple: have a friend who also has to take the test -- and not in your particular circumstances -- simply ask the doctor, what drugs the test might screen for...!

As per my post earlier it is definitely not a work permit requirement.
You are quite wrong here, a health check is a new requirement since last year for work permit renewals (normal work permits, teachers do follow different rules altogether). One of the checkboxes on the test sheet, indicating for what is tested, is 'Drug Addiciton', besides Alcoholism, Syphilis, Elephantiasis, etc. My blood test was done within little more than half an hour, cost (I think) THb 300 or something in that ballpark in a government hospital. It was pretty much one of those in-out things like the eye test for the driving licence, and seemed more like something, where the hospitals have taken the old, usual THb 50-Test where your blood pressure was measured away form the street clinics to make it hteir own little money spinner. As such I would assume that it is a very unsophisticated test, and with Amphetamines the main worry of the government here, that the test will target them. If you have not come into contact with Marihuana very recently, I do not think that there is much reason to worry about it. In any case: if you are really worried, why not do something very simple: have a friend who also has to take the test -- and not in your particular circumstances -- simply ask the doctor, what drugs the test might screen for...!

It will vary from province to province I am sure. But ask yourself, did they do an alcoholism test? Or an insanity test? No? So why do you think they need to do a drugs test?

My annual WP medicals are still the 50 baht 'are you breathing?' type affair. But I do have an annual medical for my employer, which is completely separate, and includes drug screening. I have no issue with that and just accept it as part of living and working in LOS, but many employers who know it is not acceptable in most Western societies, try to disguise it as a WP requirement.

@ OP, I still think your employer is lying to you....

The drugs test is done with Blood, not urine.They take one lot of blood and run the tests for all the things such as Syph, elephantiasis etc from this sample. Cannabis and its active ingredient THC is checked for in most drugs tests and I see no reason why this will be different. Very difficult to switch samples when they take it, label it and then whisk it away to the lab.

And yes, I can state 100% it is a work permit requirement and is now to be done every year before the work permit is issued.

Edited by AdamBanks

Hi,

From my recent experience I have some FACT.

Three weeks ago I was required to submit to a pre-employment medical which included a urinalyssis drug screen which FYI is different from a drug test and obviously less in depth.

Eight days prior to the screen I had smoked two pipes at a party and had smoked 1 pipe (cone) each week for the three weeks prior to that and had not smoked any significant amount in the months prior to that. Like yourself I was concerned as the job I had applied for is one that I like and pays well. I had read alot about this subject and decided to disregard all of it. The evening prior to the screen I ate a lot of shitty fatty food ~ bacon and eggs and on the day as well, I also drank a moderate amount of water-not an excessive amount. The result was that I passed the screen and got the job.

Of all the research that I did on the internet I would say the most relevant to me was do not drink too much water as this will dilute the sample and then your urine can potentially be sent to a laboratory for testing.

I hope you pass the test, if your positive there's not much you can do, I know how you are feeling right now.

Chok dii.

There is a difference between a pre employment medical test from the employer and a Work permit government test. My state is based on Fact (at least fact for Bangkok). No blood tests = no work permit; and the cop now wants a copy of it if you require a license for your job as well, as I do.

@Damo - assuming you will be on your new non imm B visa, before your work permit is issued you will have to get the blood tests done so lay off the pot; blood test shows most things and are not confused by eating a bacon sandwich.

Edited by AdamBanks

My understanding is the new requirement is a blood test for only syphilis rather than the previous appearance test just for stage three syphilis requirement.

You go to the hospital with a list of things to check. I tried Ladprao hospital first, and their blood tests could not do the drugs test, and they said they used to do Urine tests for drugs, but these were not accepted now for Work Permit medical so they sent me away. Went to the one on Suk Soi 40 then.

The list is as printed above somewhere ;

Booze

Drugs

Syph

Elephantiasis

Leprosy

TB

All done by blood test, and you get a certificate at the end having sat with a doctor for 5 minutes. Cost me 500 baht in total; 250 for the blood test and 250 for the certificate. On the certificate you can see the results for each of the tests. This is ALL for the work permit, and the list I had was attached to the application form for me to hand to the hospital.

Edited by AdamBanks

It will vary from province to province I am sure. But ask yourself, did they do an alcoholism test? Or an insanity test? No? So why do you think they need to do a drugs test?

As others have stated here now as well, it is all integrated in the one blood test you do. Did it, for the tiny amount of money it cost, actually *really* include tests for alcoholism (I would think certain liver markers in the blood would give you well away), drugs, the various diseases, etc? I certainly do not know, but I was certified to have none of them.

The insanity test was most likely at the following doctor's consultation, where he shined with a light into my eyes. The doctor spoke actually not a single word with me in the less than 2 minutes I was in his room -- even though I am fluent in Thai -- it was one of those 'as many patients as quickly through the door' as possible setups. I would have had to be *seriously insane* with foam coming from my mouth and a bloody knife still in my hand to trip that one up.

Looking at this setup, it is one of those tests where nobody is expected to fail, so the the OP again: I would keep worrying to a minium.

My understanding is the new requirement is a blood test for only syphilis rather than the previous appearance test just for stage three syphilis requirement.
You go to the hospital with a list of things to check. I tried Ladprao hospital first, and their blood tests could not do the drugs test, and they said they used to do Urine tests for drugs, but these were not accepted now for Work Permit medical so they sent me away. Went to the one on Suk Soi 40 then. The list is as printed above somewhere ; Booze Drugs Syph Elephantiasis Leprosy TB All done by blood test, and you get a certificate at the end having sat with a doctor for 5 minutes. Cost me 500 baht in total; 250 for the blood test and 250 for the certificate. On the certificate you can see the results for each of the tests. This is ALL for the work permit, and the list I had was attached to the application form for me to hand to the hospital.

I renewed my WP 3 months ago. I had the same list and handed it to the Dr at my local clinic. 2 mins later I was out the door with a certificate after paying 50 baht. This is in Rayong province.

My point is, it seems to vary from province to province how rigorous they are. Best bet for the OP is find someone with recent experience in the same area as him, and listen to them only.

• Like 1

To the OP, the best thing for you to do would be to test yourself privately and find out if it's positive or not. I dont know if home kits are available or not. Unless you smoked like a chimney back home, a few weeks off the stuff should make your test negative. If you're not sure, why not try to buy a test (I dont know if they have these over the counter in thailand or not, in the US you can buy them over the counter) and test yourself and see what happens. If you have to go to a hospital to get tested, just go to any hospital and get tested. If it's positive, lose the results and go to a different hospital, and get tested again a week or two later, until you have a clear test report.

If you drink a ton of water it will dilute your pee. If you smoke on occasion maybe once a month the thc should not stay in your system for very long. But if you are an avid smoker or smoke multiple times a week it will stay much longer. Also the more fit and thin you are the less amount of time it stays in your system. THC is fat saluable so it stays around longer for fatter people. If you havent smoked in a few weeks drink as much water as you can. Also dont eat anything for a day before the test. On the day of your test drink a ton of water. It will dilute the urine which will come out clear and the thc will not be detected. Or get some one else's urine.

• 3 weeks later...

To summerize this thread:

-Drug testing is happening for work permit renewals

-Only in some provinces

-Its undetermined about: which drugs they are testing for

-It may be a urine or a blood test

Anyone with further details (especially about Phuket or specific provinces/details)

...please contribute to this discussion!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am about to start working on Bangkok. I went to make my medical certificate for my work permit application today. They did a blood test for the normal diseases, x-ray of the lungs, measure my pressure, ask me my height and weight and how many cigarettes do I smoke, and they DID a urine drug test looking for amphetamine (cannabis was on the paper but unchecked).

I was expecting that fake certificate you get after paying 30-50 baht everyone talked about in TV, however I had to pay 820 baht and, being a foreigner who doesn't have a WP and is not paying taxes yet, I had to pay 1000 baht more. This was in Police General Hospital close to Siam square but I doubt the drug testing had something to do with that concrete hospital. I was trying to avoid the 1000 an international hospital told me it would cost and the long queues at Chulalongkorn, however it was quite expensive and had to spend more than 2 hours today and tomorrow I need to go again to do the eyes examination.

• 1 month later...