How To Keep Mosquitoes Away

sna

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gather mossies are actually attracted by body heat.

Which would explain why visiting friends get bothered more - they are not used to the heat.

Can't say I've heard previously that smelly feet attract them.

I thought it was Co2 that attracted them as in exhaled breath?

Drink plenty Gin&Tonic whilst you are out, I've never tried it myself, but a friend swears by it (but maybe he's too pissed to notice being bitten). But

my advice would be as some have mentioned wash regularly to minimise BO, that, along with an effective mossie spray should minimise the little beggars.

What are the government doing about the situation that whats I want to know, they are allegedly giving kids tablet computers, what about us? Would the wearing of a red shirt and shouting a lot keep mosquitos at bay?

Get an apartment with a balcony. Make sure you above the 15th floor. You can sit outside in peace.

15-storied apartment structure in the middle of the rural moo baan....how romantic.rolleyes.gif

Rather phallic as well I would have thought.

What are the government doing about the situation that whats I want to know, they are allegedly giving kids tablet computers, what about us? Would the wearing of a red shirt and shouting a lot keep mosquitos at bay?

I don't know about a red shirt. But yellow is supposed to attract insects.

I notice the ad for electric Mozzie killer is still at the bottom of page?

Any takers so far?

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

the spray that kills them - its in a big canister - spray it and go out of the room for 20 minutes or so - about 100b or so, gets rid of them for a while and then repeat a few days later.

Yes, but not so effective outdoors. rolleyes.gif

The OP said he was 'getting fed up' sitting indoors which could be taken to mean that he is getting fed up getting bitten by mosquito's indoors

rolleyes.gif

the spray that kills them - its in a big canister - spray it and go out of the room for 20 minutes or so - about 100b or so, gets rid of them for a while and then repeat a few days later.

The OP said he was 'getting fed up' sitting indoors which could be taken to mean that he is getting fed up getting bitten by mosquito's indoors

rolleyes.gif

Are you suggesting that there are less mosquitoes outside? rolleyes.gif

I don't know about a red shirt. But yellow is supposed to attract insects.

I notice the ad for electric Mozzie killer is still at the bottom of page?

Any takers so far?

jb1

I bought a couple of the electric mossie killers a few years ago. They were a complete waste of money in my opinion.

Yes, they had dead mossies in the 'bottom', but can't say I saw a noticable decrease in the number of mossies around.

rolleyes.gif

Are you suggesting that there are less mosquitoes outside? rolleyes.gif

I don't think I mentioned numbers rolleyes.gif

It's the basic premise, he is inside and wants to move outside. Mozzies are stated as a problem.

There are either too many inside compared to outside in which case there is no problem.

Or, too many outside compared to inside.

Which would a reasonable person assume to be the case?

It's the basic premise, he is inside and wants to move outside. Mozzies are stated as a problem.

There are either too many inside compared to outside in which case there is no problem.

Ah, but does he / she?

'I'm getting fed up sitting indoors in the evenings, any suggestions to keep those little buggers away?'

This could mean that he is getting fed up of getting bitten by them whilst being inside and wants to know how to stop this.

I don't want to spend every night of my future life outside, so think its good to get some tips on inside and outside.

<br />
<br />What are the government doing about the situation that whats I want to know, they are allegedly giving kids tablet computers, what about us? Would the wearing of a red shirt and shouting a lot keep mosquitos at bay?<br />
<br /><br />I don't know about a red shirt. But yellow is supposed to attract insects.<br /><br />I notice the ad for electric Mozzie killer is still at the bottom of page?<br />Any takers so far?<br />jb1<br />
<br /><br />I bought a couple of the electric mossie killers a few years ago. They were a complete waste of money in my opinion.<br /><br />Yes, they had dead mossies in the 'bottom', but can't say I saw a noticable decrease in the number of mossies around.
<br /><br />I will agree to some extent....they will keep on coming. using a large net/mesh is best defense of the affected area. Wearing some natural repellant, like coconut oil or other herb/essential oil spray is your best defense otherwise along with an area that has a breeze (fan)<br /><br />"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app. Edited by 4evermaat

I have been told (not by anyone I trust, mind you) that I am considered to be a 'reasonable person', and therefore qualified to answer this important question.

Mosquitoes are the problem, no doubt about that. Even one would be too many under any circumstances, either indoors or outdoors, at ground level or on the 16th floor (mosquitoes are intelligent enough to travel in lifts, as any condo owner will attest).

My take is that the OP is tired of being forced to sit 'indoors of an evening' because of the latent threat posed by aforesaid blood-sucking parasites. Therefore, the OP wishes to sit and enjoy the outdoors and is seeking assistance as to how this could be made more comfortable.

Therefore, all suggestions as to eliminating the 'indoors' part of the problem are superfluous. Only suggestions as to the 'outdoors' problem remain. It's really quite slain and pimple.

Thank you for your time.

I liked Guzzi's comment. Thanks

Mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide, which unfortunately you expell with each breath. The best way to keep from having the little buggers eat you alive is to use a sprayon repellant which contains DEET. If you're not into spraying chemicals on your body, then maybe a combination of coils, candles and a tennis racket zapper will work. The high dollar electric bug zappers work good for most night-time flying insects, but I have found that under certain conditions and bug load, they overload and the step-up transformer stops working. I have also seen a propane/electric mosquito trap which was the most expensive gadget. people who I know bought the propane/electric traps dais they worked about as good as a cheap electric bug zapper. Personally, I make sure to empty any standing water, and spray a little flying insect killer in the dark areas I find outsdie the house before the sun sets. Doesn't get them all, but helps.

I've got a 4m X 4m screened-in porch off of the back of the house. The wife had it built. Tin roof, half walls and 8 foot high screens. It makes a nice retreat at sun set and sun rise when the buggers get particularly active. Another advantage is that it cools off much faster than the house in the evening.

I've got a 4m X 4m screened-in porch off of the back of the house. The wife had it built. Tin roof, half walls and 8 foot high screens. It makes a nice retreat at sun set and sun rise when the buggers get particularly active. Another advantage is that it cools off much faster than the house in the evening.

A sort of cage,seems a little overkill to me,each to his own I guess.

I gather mossies are actually attracted by body heat.

Which would explain why visiting friends get bothered more - they are not used to the heat.

Can't say I've heard previously that smelly feet attract them.

I thought it was Co2 that attracted them as in exhaled breath?

that begs the question "why do i always get bit on my feet and ankles?"

I light the slow burning incense coils in the house and it lasts almost all day, you can buy a pack of them for 10 baht. Keeps the mosquitoes and those little bugs that bite away all day. I find those little flies that bite a lot more annoying then mosquitoes as their bite is more painful and lasts longer then mosquitoes.

My bathroom has an open window of sorts and doesn't get much sunlight so they like to congregate in there and I have to zap them all with the tennis racket once in a while as well.

If all fails and one can't find relief from the misery or are unable to acclimate [like the local natives] to eekies like mozzies......move. To a more suitable climate that might support a comfort zone to your liking.

Equatorial climes can ensure two things nearly year-rouund. Heat [to one degree or another] and plentiful creept-crawlers of every description. It doesn't change, though one can do things that might slighty lighten the burden, which doesn't include whinging and whimpering at every turn.

• Like 1