What'S Wrong With Some People Who Live Here?

tolstoy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed. Its also obvious where a lot of these people have picked up their ‘pidgin Thai’…

Also, when talking to Thai’s in English its these very same people who loose the capacity to speak intelligent English and sound rather half-witted !

If they spoke to an intellegent Thai in the same manner they'd not earn a great deal of respect.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

Who made you the speech police ?

I can understand your point regarding the guy at the embassy , but my Thai colleagues at work and myself often communicate with a mixture of Thai and English, it makes it easier all round to communicate and we all learn more language skills as we go.

• Like 1

I can understand your point regarding the guy at the embassy , but my Thai colleagues at work and myself often communicate with a mixture of Thai and English, it makes it easier all round to communicate and we all learn more language skills as we go.

I suspect there is a right way to do this and a wrong way.

In your office I suspect you do this in a professional manner, the person you are speaking to is not being treated as if they are an idiot etc.. I also imagine the Thai you have picked up in the office is significantly different from the “I rike you, you rike me?, I smoke you” Thai picked up on a bar stool… Its this type of person who makes me (and I’m sure other posters on this thread) cringe.

Some western guys, go waiing all and sundry throwing in Thai phrases where ever they can, , they eat bugs, love pla-raa and som-tam… After-all, in their own eyes they have become Thai. They are at harmony with the Thai culture, while being ridiculed, cringed at and avoided by the very same people they are attempting to emulate. The sad part is, these people have no idea….

• Like 1

Some western guys, go waiing all and sundry throwing in Thai phrases where ever they can, , they eat bugs, love pla-raa and som-tam… After-all, in their own eyes they have become Thai. They are at harmony with the Thai culture, while being ridiculed, cringed at and avoided by the very same people they are attempting to emulate. The sad part is, these people have no idea….

Exactly. There is nothing wrong with helping out a little by using words that you are sure someone that speaks a different language will understand, but some fool speaking to another native English speaker in pidgin English is just plain irritating.

• Like 1

Did I say that I go about and arrest people? I don't even talk to them, I ignore them. It just gets on my nerves.

Agreed speaking with Thais that are less than fluent in English and to develop your Thai skills is one thing. But I still believe that to really learn and communicate in a language resorting to filling the gaps with your native tongue isn't the best way to progress. Most people actually just use the Thai words that most Thais already know the English to.

When I was first learning, my comprehension far exceeded my oral communication skills. I had a few friends that were that way with English. So I would talk in English and they would talk purely in Thai. Neither of us had any problems having quite in depth discussions. More than just everyday chit chat. It wasn't until a few years ago to where I progressed to the point of actually forming complete and articulate sentences in Thai. I am still no where near fluent but I hate broken language skills in myself so it is just as annoying in others.

However, I am purely talking about when expats are talking to other expats. When it is obvious that both are native English speakers, it is absurd to use any Thai words or expressions unless it is someone's name. I went to the wat lastnight when using temple is perfectly accurate. I ate some fallang food instead of western.

The worst for me is when I hear someone say "soi dogs" That isn't even a Thai expression.

Did I say that I go about and arrest people? I don't even talk to them, I ignore them. It just gets on my nerves.

Agreed speaking with Thais that are less than fluent in English and to develop your Thai skills is one thing. But I still believe that to really learn and communicate in a language resorting to filling the gaps with your native tongue isn't the best way to progress. Most people actually just use the Thai words that most Thais already know the English to.

When I was first learning, my comprehension far exceeded my oral communication skills. I had a few friends that were that way with English. So I would talk in English and they would talk purely in Thai. Neither of us had any problems having quite in depth discussions. More than just everyday chit chat. It wasn't until a few years ago to where I progressed to the point of actually forming complete and articulate sentences in Thai. I am still no where near fluent but I hate broken language skills in myself so it is just as annoying in others.

However, I am purely talking about when expats are talking to other expats. When it is obvious that both are native English speakers, it is absurd to use any Thai words or expressions unless it is someone's name. I went to the wat lastnight when using temple is perfectly accurate. I ate some fallang food instead of western.

The worst for me is when I hear someone say "soi dogs" That isn't even a Thai expression.

No it is an English expression, I use it all the time when speaking English as with Wat, Soi and Falang.

Sorry but it seems more appropriate, I am in no way trying to speak Thai!!

I would not say I saw a westerner get bitten by a street dog on street 9 near the temple. ( I think I would sound like a wanke_r)

I would say I saw a falang get bitten by a soi dog on soi 9 near the wat.

Sometimes I mai loo i am doing it....

Very revealing. You write 'mai loo' and not 'mai roo'. Nobody with a Central Thai accent says 'loo'. You have been spending too much time in places with many Issan people...

"(you will never hear me use the words: fallang, leuk kreung, soi, teerak, jing when speaking in English) Sounds so retarded since their are legitimate English words."

What's the legitimate English word for 'soi'?

(Thai) side-street

EDIT: The 'Thai' may be implied from context...

Edited by StreetCowboy

I suspect there is a right way to do this and a wrong way.

In your office I suspect you do this in a professional manner, the person you are speaking to is not being treated as if they are an idiot etc.. I also imagine the Thai you have picked up in the office is significantly different from the “I rike you, you rike me?, I smoke you” Thai picked up on a bar stool… Its this type of person who makes me (and I’m sure other posters on this thread) cringe.

I think its good that they have no idea. They're doing their best, and yet everyone just bad-mouths them behind their backs. Its bad enough that everyone else has to stoop to the level of mean-spirited 'holier-than-thou' gossip, without making these people feel bad about their best but inadequate efforts.

SC

I sometimes slip a little 'rendezvous' or 'al dente' into my English conversation, to add that little 'je ne sais quoi' to the conversation over a cup of char with the amah.

The judgement on Soi Dog and Wat is a little harsh.

I dislike the use of the word falang when the word Westerner is IMO far more appropriate.

• Like 1

"I find those foreigners here that speak fluent Thai have never used Thai expressions when speaking English."

Simply become secure [with themselves] and comfortable.

Over time, these are the same characters that don't find it necessary to whinge and find fault at every turn.

Accepting what is and what isn't - without extending cultural assassinations.

Adapt and acclimate without cause. A few can.

I dislike the use of the word falang when the word Westerner is IMO far more appropriate.

Why might you be offended by the term "Farang"?

"(you will never hear me use the words: fallang, leuk kreung, soi, teerak, jing when speaking in English) Sounds so retarded since their are legitimate English words."

What's the legitimate English word for 'soi'?

(Thai) side-street

EDIT: The 'Thai' may be implied from context...

I know what it means. I was just wondering what legitimate English word the OP uses in conversation. I find it a little hard to believe that he says 'side street 9' rather than soi 9.

Edited by endure

Very revealing. You write 'mai loo' and not 'mai roo'. Nobody with a Central Thai accent says 'loo'. You have been spending too much time in places with many Issan people...

What is revealing is that you don't know what you are talking about. I hear central Thai's using an "l" sound in place of an "r" all the time. Oh, and is there something wrong with Isaan people anyway?

Is there some sort of official limit to the amount of time it's permissible to spend with Isaan people? What if he lives in Korat?Does he have to make regular journeys to places where people say 'mai roo' instead of 'mai loo' in order to maintain his credibility?

Less we forget the variety of Westerner that finds it necessary to wai his/her peer in greeting - familiar or stranger.

I find this particular gesture amongst one another [Farang] quite awkward.....even slightly embarrassing.

Newbies and wannabes.

What is revealing is that you don't know what you are talking about. I hear central Thai's using an "l" sound in place of an "r" all the time. Oh, and is there something wrong with Isaan people anyway?

He's a hoity toity kinda poochai...

I dislike the word Farang. It applies to foreigners who make no effort to learn Thai or have Thai friends. They congergrate in Foreign run bars and eat western food. When I first came to Thailand nearly 50 years ago I never heard the word used.

However, I am purely talking about when expats are talking to other expats. When it is obvious that both are native English speakers, it is absurd to use any Thai words or expressions unless it is someone's name. I went to the wat lastnight when using temple is perfectly accurate. I ate some fallang food instead of western. The worst for me is when I hear someone say "soi dogs" That isn't even a Thai expression.
The judgement on Soi Dog and Wat is a little harsh. I dislike the use of the word falang when the word Westerner is IMO far more appropriate.
I dislike the word Farang. It applies to foreigners who make no effort to learn Thai or have Thai friends. They congergrate in Foreign run bars and eat western food. When I first came to Thailand nearly 50 years ago I never heard the word used.
I find the word slightly offensive as its sometimes used as a negative slur against 'undesirable Westerners'... When friends kids have been calling me 'Uncle Rich', I have over heard their nannies saying... 'go and play with the Farang'... . It is this sort of example I take objection to, its low class phraseology and doesn't paint a positive picture when there is an alternative respectful word which can be used in its place; 'Westerner'... (or name me by person in the example I used). Anyway – this topic is not about the acceptance of the work Farang – there are various other topics which run on this subject – the only conclusion I see from this is that different people have varied opinions… This Topic is about Westerners making fools of themselves, speaking pidgin English to other Westerners and placing Thai words in the place of Western words… We’ve all seen it. Describing it is a little difficult and someone will always find objection to the internet forum description and pick holes in the subject. Regardless of this, we’ve seen this type of behavior and it makes us cringe… Edited by richard_smith237

Then you are being remiss in your duties as a fine upstanding Westerner by permitting such lazy speech, a swift stroke with your cane and a short, sharp bark of "ror rua" will see them thank you in the future.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com