Internet In The Sticks

xybadog

I want to have a reasonable internet connection at home in the Na Klang area (around 40km west of Nongbualamphu) but not sure of the options available in the area. Currently using a "dongle" and mobile connection but this is so unreliable it's unbelieveable (or most of you will believe if you've tried).

I've searched the threads on this subject in the forum already but there's nothing in the last 12 months and things have changed...slightly.

I'd welcome any advice from anyone in the area or anyone who knows what's available. I'd send the missus to the shop (so they don't quote farang prices) but with her limited English I know I'd only get 10% of the information when she returned (bless her). That's why I'm asking here so we (she) can then go armed with some information, and know what to ask for.

I live between Na Klang and Nawang and use TOT. You will need a land line but it is mostly reliable and relatively fast.

PM me if you want directions to my home and you can test it out.

Thanks Chuck.

What amount of money are we talking? (for the internet and landline, not directions to your home biggrin.png ). There's no landline currently installed and it would all be in the GF's name.

I'm currently in the UK but won't be back till July, I think. I meant to come and see you at Xmas (as per previous pm's) but didn't get the chance as plans changed and I was only in the area for a couple of days before we went for a holiday to Samui. When I'm back in July I should be there for a while so should get chance to catch up with you. Not looking forward to July there though because of the rain and mozzies.

Edited by xybadog

Just from experience and exposure, I surely would never become dependent on landline connections.

There are far too many headaches a issues that would arise....

Notebook/laptop - best bet.

Server? Your choice.

I'm also in the sticks.

2 years ago I went via CAT. They installed an antenna on my water tank. Tank 10m, antenna about another 6m. Cabled to a router then CAT CDMA receiver and WIFI. All up it cost me about 10,000bht and 700bht per month.

Reception can be dodgy sometimes and I ponder whether to continue.

I'm not computer savy, but I do remember a thread saying that CATs servers choke during peak times. Which slows the signal.

If there's something better I'd love to hear.

It cost us 10,000 baht for the land line and we are exactly one kilometer from the highway.

We pay 490 baht per month for the service but do not accept the 3 mb service. Our system works only on 2 mb for some reason.

My recent experience is the service is pretty reliable but it was spotty for the first year or so. We have had it for over 3 years now and I am pretty happy with it.

PS: Did you stay at that resort I suggested?

Edited by chuckd

The general advice for Issaan seems to be that if you want a relatively reliable service you need to pay for a couple of different options, which is probably going to cost you 1,200 to 1,500 baht a month. Otherwise just try to plan your life around one unreliable service at 400 to 600 baht a month - i.e train your friends and folks back home not to expect quick responses and do everything you need to in the windows when the signal is there. Don't get sucked into doing stuff you don't need to (like posting on TV!). If you have an amphur town nearby plan your shopping and other trips to include a trip to the internet cafe. I use ones where the signal is free and I have a cup of coffee and a cake. Like everything in Isaan you need to go with the flow!

Funnily enough my wife, who couldn't care less about the signal a couple of years ago now has her own laptop and the signal-outs of TOT drive her much wilder than they do me. She is constantly on the backs of TOT - I think my western complaining culture is finally seeping through. I haven't yet got her trained to write letters to the CEO but that will be next!

The general advice for Issaan seems to be that if you want a relatively reliable service you need to pay for a couple of different options, which is probably going to cost you 1,200 to 1,500 baht a month. Otherwise just try to plan your life around one unreliable service at 400 to 600 baht a month - i.e train your friends and folks back home not to expect quick responses and do everything you need to in the windows when the signal is there. Don't get sucked into doing stuff you don't need to (like posting on TV!). If you have an amphur town nearby plan your shopping and other trips to include a trip to the internet cafe. I use ones where the signal is free and I have a cup of coffee and a cake. Like everything in Isaan you need to go with the flow!

Funnily enough my wife, who couldn't care less about the signal a couple of years ago now has her own laptop and the signal-outs of TOT drive her much wilder than they do me. She is constantly on the backs of TOT - I think my western complaining culture is finally seeping through. I haven't yet got her trained to write letters to the CEO but that will be next!

laugh.png

I have a TOT landline, and used it when the Internet was free. When they charged for it, it wasn't worth continuing.

Now I use an AIS dongle. It is slow, but it's mostly pretty reliable. I pay B.200 for 50 hours, and by some mysterious alchemy, there are always spare baht left over each time. No, I wouldn't use it for any but recreational purposes (though it's good enough to download things onto your own computer for later reading.). But if you waste an hour or two through the system's inanities, it won't break the bank. After all, what could you get for 8p. in England?

I suspect the reliability depends entirely on where you live. I live halfway between Krasang and Huai Rat in Buriram.

• 1 month later...

None of it is 'reliable' if you are using the western definition. I have a TOT 10MB connection, which when it works is fine, but then will have the mysterious drop outs, throttling of speed etc etc. Once when I was bored decided to go and complain to the local TOT shop, met with the usual bored look of 'what the Hell are you talking about'...sometimes I need those cathartic moments!

...One more thing, whichever service you get, change the default DNS server. The Thai ISP providers totally suck and will slow service alot. use a free one like Google (8.8.8.8), helps a lot to keep web speeds up

None of it is 'reliable' if you are using the western definition. I have a TOT 10MB connection, which when it works is fine, but then will have the mysterious drop outs, throttling of speed etc etc. Once when I was bored decided to go and complain to the local TOT shop, met with the usual bored look of 'what the Hell are you talking about'...sometimes I need those cathartic moments!

I've been on 3B(Maxnet) for several years; very very rarely had any service failures, and they were only for short periods anyway. Also never noticed "throttling of speed". There have been previous comments from Ubonites regarding its reliable service too.

Even by using the western definition, I would call that pretty good.

Just a reminder on the "dongle" solution.

You did not mention which provider you use (AIS? DTAC? TRUE?).

Do you have a signal from all three at your place?

How good is the reception of the mobile signal (can be checked with the dongle software)?

If reception is poor, try to move the dongle to a better place and connect to the PC with a USB cable.

It is cheap and easy to try another provider (just buy another SIM and register with the dongle).

In my case DTAC was best and used it for a couple of months and most times having 150 to 220 kBit/s).

Fortunately I am now on a ToT landline which gives me about 2.7 Mbit/s.

Edited by KhunBENQ

I also live in the "boonies". I went with CAT-Telecom. They erected a 15 Meter antenna with router. Cost: 3750 Baht. Per month 750 Bht, unlimited access. Have no complaints: Internet connection ranges from good to very good. Go to their webpage to find out if they serve your aerea. Something like www.cattelecom.com

Cheers.

I also live far out in the middle of nowhere but in the north. Six years ago when we moved here we got TT&T (3BB nowadays) and they installed a landline with a modem/router. It was up and down the first couple of years, called them every 2 week and it got better and better. Two years ago they installed a separate landline for Internet and nowadays I have 7Mbit most of the time and we pay under 650 baht per month.

Can even watch Swedish TV most of the time through Internet.

wink.pngbiggrin.pngrolleyes.gif

Depends on where you live but what I would do is:

Go to TOT and see if they service your area with ADSL

If not:

Check if your area have 3G coverage by DTAC, AIS or True but these a limited plans meaning you can use it for surfing the internet but download movies ect.

If not:

Go to Cat Telecom and see if you are close enough to one of their towers.

It's mostly unreliable if depedent upon telephone lines.

It's mostly unreliable if depedent upon telephone lines.

I have had TOT for five years and it is mostly very reliable.