PM Yingluck Forced To Speak To Virtually Empty Seminar Room

webfact

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The worst part is even her own people shunned her, "Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Kittirat Na Ranong refused to attend the event, claiming he had an important meeting with the SME Association." Looks like they are treating the window dressing with due respect, doesnt bode well for her future.

Maybe bad wording by the journalist, maybe a bad translation: I don't know why the word "refused" is used. Not every minister is required to attend every event the PM goes to. It would be rather inefficient. And he had to attend another meeting. Doesn't sound like shunning to me.

So what's the difference,giving a speech to a full room where nobody is listening or interested anyway, or giving a speech to an empty room

Because you can tell yourself (or your handlers can assure you) that the people in the audience that appear to be dozing are actually concentrating so hard that they need to shut their eyes.

What a bunch of ingrates, and after all that trouble her brother went through to write the speech.

Maybe bad wording by the journalist, maybe a bad translation: I don't know why the word "refused" is used. Not every minister is required to attend every event the PM goes to. It would be rather inefficient. And he had to attend another meeting. Doesn't sound like shunning to me.

Well made point.The other paper has an article on the front page this morning making it clear that most of the comments made earlier on this thread were largely misplaced,some generated I suspect by the malice and bile that sadly has come to be associated with a few haters on this forum.I would have thought for opponents of this government there was enough to criticise on performance and policy grounds.Still I suppose the consolation is they are just playing loony tunes to each other:nobody else takes much notice.

Incidentally it's common practice for a speaker to ask an audience in a partly filled hall to move up to the front.

Well made point.The other paper has an article on the front page this morning making it clear that most of the comments made earlier on this thread were largely misplaced,some generated I suspect by the malice and bile that sadly has come to be associated with a few haters on this forum.I would have thought for opponents of this government there was enough to criticise on performance and policy grounds.Still I suppose the consolation is they are just playing loony tunes to each other:nobody else takes much notice.

Incidentally it's common practice for a speaker to ask an audience in a partly filled hall to move up to the front.

Glad you have joined this thread jayboy. As someone with usually an opposing view to mine, but with a view that is informed and articulated well (albeit done so in an often extremely patronising and derogatory manner), i am interested to know what you think of the clip below; already posted once earlier in this thread.

I am interested to know, how someone who has always quite strongly defended Yingluck's abilities and spoken up her capabilities, reconciles that view with this shambolic, incoherent, highly embarrassing public display that clearly can not be explained or excused away by language difficulties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mgLhvF-sNk&feature=player_embedded

Edited by rixalex
  • Like 1

Now if only you could have informed me of my mistake in as gracious a manner as I have apologised we might get on a bit better

You mean in the same "gracious manner" as you originally asked about it or the other 2 episodes in the past 2 days you attempted to sling mud over nothing in ever-increasingly feeble attempts to write something derisive?

bah.gif

Indeed, it might have been delivered in more friendly terms IF,

the whole point of the post it responded to was not

to specifically provoke embarrassment for another,

then the response to it's blatant inaccuracy and partisaness,

might well have been less strident.

Instead it was delivered with accuracy,

in the spirit to which the original comments were obviously intended.

If

I knew what

you were talking about

I would reply

I don't

I won't.

Well they managed to make a "story" out of the fact that the PM was annoyed by having to speak to an empty room didn't they? And true to form because it could be construed that this makes a member of the Shiniwatra clan look "bad" we get 4 pages of car wreck voyeurism by the usual suspects.....................

You are again missing the point. The story shows that reporters and businessmen have finally come to the conclusion that it is not worth the time listening to the Thai PM stammering through her script. And they don't even bother to send a cancellation note, accepting that it could cause this embarrasing scenario.

On the other hand, what did you expect when a political clueless rich girl is suddenly put on the PM's seat? Hidden talents only emerge in certain Hollywood movies.

Well, we'll agree to that if this scenario is repeated several times........................

The worst part is even her own people shunned her, "Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Kittirat Na Ranong refused to attend the event, claiming he had an important meeting with the SME Association." Looks like they are treating the window dressing with due respect, doesnt bode well for her future.

Your clutching at straw there with conjecture and imagination, its entirely possible that the word refused is used because they actually refused to attend. Consider that the PM gives a speech on financial issues and the "Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Kittirat Na Ranong refused to attend the event". In addition reporter and business leader fail to show. An area that should be of intense interest to the all, sounds like a big shun to me.

Edited by waza

My isn't that strange, Buchholz helpfully provides the "accompanying photo to the OP article" - Except there isn't one

some people however much the truth of these robber baron clowns is shown still have little between their ears What a pathetic bunch of people these taksin followers are

I'm sorry, do I know you?

The photo does not appear on this link http://www.tannetwor...?DataID=1052188 otherwise why would I say so?

You need to look closer. It's there.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Yes we've been through that, I've already apologised for raising the ire of several posters with an understandable mistake. I've explained the reasons, it's there post 67 or 76 can't remember, been repeating myself too much.

Glad you have joined this thread jayboy. As someone with usually an opposing view to mine, but with a view that is informed and articulated well (albeit done so in an often extremely patronising and derogatory manner), i am interested to know what you think of the clip below; already posted once earlier in this thread.

I am interested to know, how someone who has always quite strongly defended Yingluck's abilities and spoken up her capabilities, reconciles that view with this shambolic, incoherent, highly embarrassing public display that clearly can not be explained or excused away by language difficulties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mgLhvF-sNk&feature=player_embedded

Better to keep your mouth closed and be thought...........

You misrepresent my position.I am under no illusion that the PM is only in place other than because she is Thaksin's sister - though she has won a mandate from the Thai people which is more than Abhisit ever did.She does however have some personal advantages - a cheerful, sweet natured and non confrontational personality which has won over some unlikely admirers (including Prem if reports are to be believed).She has also, partly because of the aforementioned characteristics, presided over a successful foreign policy.I accept however this is partly because of the contrast with the sheer incompetence (and unlikeability - a problem in international relations) of the previous administration.

I doubt whether she has much detailed knowledge of economics, strategic thinking etc but she's certainly not unintelligent.The clip you play does underline her very avearge English language skills but she's a lot better than say Chuan and Banharn.

My comments on this forum have not realy however been pro Yinglick so much as noting the hatred and bile of a few obsessives who seem to have little to do with their lives but fume behind their computers.I don't include you in this grisly bunch.It's only a talking shop for expatriates so no real harm done but I do object to sexist abuse.

• Like 1

You misrepresent my position.I am under no illusion that the PM is only in place other than because she is Thaksin's sister - though she has won a mandate from the Thai people which is more than Abhisit ever did.She does however have some personal advantages - a cheerful, sweet natured and non confrontational personality which has won over some unlikely admirers (including Prem if reports are to be believed).She has also, partly because of the aforementioned characteristics, presided over a successful foreign policy.I accept however this is partly because of the contrast with the sheer incompetence (and unlikeability - a problem in international relations) of the previous administration.

I doubt whether she has much detailed knowledge of economics, strategic thinking etc but she's certainly not unintelligent.The clip you play does underline her very avearge English language skills but she's a lot better than say Chuan and Banharn.

My comments on this forum have not realy however been pro Yinglick so much as noting the hatred and bile of a few obsessives who seem to have little to do with their lives but fume behind their computers.I don't include you in this grisly bunch.It's only a talking shop for expatriates so no real harm done but I do object to sexist abuse.

Sexist abuse? If you mean discriminating, abusive comment, ect, based on gender, then you mean gender dicrimination. However, if you mean we violently raped Yingluck then it would be sex abuse. Which one do you mean?

Sexist abuse? If you mean discriminating, abusive comment, ect, based on gender, then you mean gender dicrimination. However, if you mean we violently raped Yingluck then it would be sex abuse. Which one do you mean?

Sexist abuse is what I mean.I won't comment further on your bizarre and ignorant post.

As for comparing her with others with regards her langauge skills - which as i say, i don't think have much to do with her main problem - the fact that her tertiary education was completed in America, makes it reasonable for people to expect something more than she is delivering with her speaking, would you not say? (are you not bemused how a person with this level of English manages to study for a Masters? I know i am).

I don't really disagree with much of what you say.I did try to explain that my approval rating was rather circumscribed.I really was just making the point that the sexist abuse directed at her seems very unfair.Even now one of the worst offenders has been drawn towards our discussion.

She should definitely not ever attend any events promoting feminist power because her performance, life story, and competence level argue the opposite.

She can't even communicate her thoughts during speech! Sheesh. It's clear from the video it's not just the lack of skill even after studying abroad, but the scattered, indirect, unlinked thoughts in response.

She should have taken some courses in public speech! Too late now.

I really was just making the point that the sexist abuse directed at her seems very unfair.

I would need a specific example to make a specific response to that, but my general feeling is that the personal stick that Yingluck has received, has been no worse than the stick that any of her predecessors have had to put up with, such as Abhisit, Somchai, Samak or Thaksin - perhaps the men have received it along different lines and with different themes, but it has surely been equally offensive to those on the receiving end. It is however very much part and parcel of the job, something you have to be ready for when you sign up, and i don't prescribe to the view, sometimes put forward by those on the Yingluck team, that she, as a woman, should be given special treatment to take into account her sensibilities.

I really was just making the point that the sexist abuse directed at her seems very unfair.

I would need a specific example to make a specific response to that, but my general feeling is that the personal stick that Yingluck has received, has been no worse than the stick that any of her predecessors have had to put up with, such as Abhisit, Somchai, Samak or Thaksin - perhaps the men have received it along different lines and with different themes, but it has surely been equally offensive to those on the receiving end. It is however very much part and parcel of the job, something you have to be ready for when you sign up, and i don't prescribe to the view, sometimes put forward by those on the Yingluck team, that she, as a woman, should be given special treatment to take into account her sensibilities.

I'm not so sure.The abuse Yingluck has received has been more than personal stick - politicians must take that in their stride.On this forum I can't give you an example since the most disgusting sexist abuse has rightly been removed by mods and the perpetrators warned.

cheesy.gif

the seminar room was virtually empty, leaving white linen covered chairs unoccupied.

Accounts from reporters at the scene indicate that Prime Minister Yingluck became increasingly agitated, frequently asking whether or not the seminar room was close to being full.

Does the PM need glasses? unsure.png

Why not start from the scratch? Does the PM need brain?
  • Like 1

What an odd report.It is odd because there are not very many economic reporters in Thailand and the association isn't that big. I think it has less than 50 members. The primary journalists association is The Thai Journalists Association (TJA). The TJA is the result of the Reporters' Association of Thailand and the Thailand's Newspapers Association merger in part due to the reduced numbers of journalists in Thailand. My understanding is that the EJA was supposed to send out the invitations to busines leaders and it seems they didn't tell people the PM was speaking. Putting aside one's bias, it really is unusual no one was there because businesses will typically send a couple office workers to sit and represent the company. Aside from the EJA dropping the ball here, I expect that the PM's press secretary is going to get a smack down over this. It is inexcusable prep work.

On the other hand the PM was a success in Davos and drew a large crowd;

Thai Night draws CEOs at Davos WEF The Nation January 28, 2012 2:54 pm

The Thai Night at World Economic Forum in Davos was well attended by global corporate leaders.

The event was attended by more than 600 guests who braved the cold weather and many other competing events.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra hosted the event with Thai foods, fashion show, boxing and Thai dances.

She assured guests that Thai government was on top of the flood problem and Thailand was back in business as premier investment hub in the region. The event was well attended by Thai corporate leaders including CEOs of PTT, Thai Airways International, Bangkok Bank, Thai Bev, etc. Both foreign and finance ministers joined the event with foreign guests stayed into late night

My point in posting the Davos article is to show that the M's office can get the bodies in the seats when necessary.

I'm not so sure.The abuse Yingluck has received has been more than personal stick - politicians must take that in their stride.On this forum I can't give you an example since the most disgusting sexist abuse has rightly been removed by mods and the perpetrators warned.

I struggle to imagine how what you are referring to can have been any worse than the stuff we have all surely heard spoken of the likes of Abhisit and Thaksin. I don't know about you, but i'd rather someone question my sexuality than accuse me of mass murder.

What an odd report.It is odd because there are not very many economic reporters in Thailand and the association isn't that big. I think it has less than 50 members. The primary journalists association is The Thai Journalists Association (TJA). The TJA is the result of the Reporters' Association of Thailand and the Thailand's Newspapers Association merger in part due to the reduced numbers of journalists in Thailand. My understanding is that the EJA was supposed to send out the invitations to busines leaders and it seems they didn't tell people the PM was speaking. Putting aside one's bias, it really is unusual no one was there because businesses will typically send a couple office workers to sit and represent the company. Aside from the EJA dropping the ball here, I expect that the PM's press secretary is going to get a smack down over this. It is inexcusable prep work.

On the other hand the PM was a success in Davos and drew a large crowd;

Thai Night draws CEOs at Davos WEF The Nation January 28, 2012 2:54 pm

The Thai Night at World Economic Forum in Davos was well attended by global corporate leaders.

The event was attended by more than 600 guests who braved the cold weather and many other competing events.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra hosted the event with Thai foods, fashion show, boxing and Thai dances.

She assured guests that Thai government was on top of the flood problem and Thailand was back in business as premier investment hub in the region. The event was well attended by Thai corporate leaders including CEOs of PTT, Thai Airways International, Bangkok Bank, Thai Bev, etc. Both foreign and finance ministers joined the event with foreign guests stayed into late night

My point in posting the Davos article is to show that the M's office can get the bodies in the seats when necessary.

I'm sure if they had offered free "Thai foods, fashion show, boxing and Thai dances" the attendance would have been better. Yingluck alone apparently isn't attracting a lot of interest.

Well, lots of speculation in this thread. This how how things work:

An organisation plans a PR event and invites a VIP as the guest speaker.

The VIP's secretary wants to know how many people are expected, and what kind of people (press, business leaders, etc) these are, and where the event will take place.

This is done months in advance, as the VIP has a full schedule.

The VIP agrees, and the PR machine is set in motion to make sure these people do attend the event. That is the job of the host, i.e. the organisation that first contacted the VIP's office.

I have attended quite a number of such events with Thai Prime Ministers as the guest speakers (i.e. the VIP) but I never heard about this particular event. Not saying that I expect an invitation to each event the Thai PM attends, but if the host/organigser does not get enough confirmations, they should widen their target audience.

I think the major failure here is on the side of the host. Yes, the PM lost face in the press, and I think the result of that will be that no Thai PM will accept an invitation from this organisation any more. I don't think the speaker can be blamed for the failure of the organiser to fill the room.

Your description of the flow of events is quite clear, but you seem to still be missing the main point here. If the speaker were somebody actually important such as the prime minister of a country that had just come through some epic events (let's say like great floods or the like), or if the speaker was someone with either direct power or strong influence over something important sucn as the economic destiny of a nation, well then the host would have to do nothing but announce the event and the room would be full. For example, let's say God was going to make an appearance for even five minutes to give his thoughts about the future of Thailand (or even the future of a single horse race coming up next month). Do you think there would be an empty seat in the house? Hell no! The point of this embarassing story is that with or without paid full-time staff working to dig up attendees for the presentation, if the PM or her opinions were seen as having any real consequence, the room would have been full. It wasn't.