Strict Control On False Advertisements Planned: Thailand

webfact

Strict control on false advertisements planned

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- The National Health Assembly yesterday pushed through a resolution to ensure strict law enforcement and harsher punishment for companies that falsely advertise food, drug and cosmetic products.

This problem is common among community radio stations and subscription television stations.

"All authorities must respond to the National Health Assembly's resolution," Srinuan Korakotchakorn, deputy secretary-general of Food and Drug Administration (FDA), said.

She was at the National Health Assembly's meeting, which kicked off yesterday at the UN Conference Centre and will wrap up tomorrow.

She said the participants had agreed that all stakeholders needed to work together to prevent illegal advertising and strict law enforcement is needed to stop the production and distribution of products that could be detrimental to consumers' health.

"Laws must also be updated. Fines prescribed for offenders by the 1979 Food Act and the 1967 Drug Act are relatively low when compared to the value of today's market," Srinuan said.

For instance, anyone advertising a food product without prior approval needs to pay just Bt5,000 in fines, while companies or individuals posting ads that exaggerate the benefits of a product face up to three years in prison and/or a maximum fine of Bt30,000.

FDA and the National Telecom-munications and Broadcasting Commission are the key government agencies expected to play a role in the crackdown. "But local administrative bodies should also help monitor local media outlets. Media must be ethical when broadcasting advertisements and the public should be educated so they can stay away from dangerous products," Srinuan said.

She added that problematic advertisements included Thai traditional medication, food products and so-called herbal cosmetics. "The FDA receives about 100 complaints every month," she disclosed.

Srinuan said the FDA was currently monitoring about 1,000 products advertised via subscription TV stations and community radio stations each month. "Most of them are problematic," she said.

The National Health Assembly has received information that the advertising value of food was worth Bt17 billion per annum, while the value of drugs was worth Bt2.5 billion.

In 2010, subscription TV stations earned between Bt2 billion and Bt3 billion from advertising.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-03

It would be a shame to remove all those advertisements from TV. I find them more entertaining and funnier that the actual programming. I hope they don't go after the weight reduction machines too. I especially like the "earthquake" machine where an obese lady has her fat shaken and miraculously turns into Angelina Jolie before your eyes.

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 2

I like the one where the older guy is doing tai chi in the park and sees the ladies jogging but knows his willy dont work, then he starts taking some herbal capsules, and gets his power back, he then kicks a can (?) the ladies scream and he then becomes the stud of the park.

Yes but You dont see statements like in Thai Powderd Milk formula

Breast milk is the best food for babies. Infant formula should only beused under the advice of healthcare professionals.

You usally get crap like this

• Like 1

So how will all the skin-whitening cream manufacturers, and dried-milk to-make-your-kids look intelligent or like luk-krungs, manage to flog their products in future ? rolleyes.gif

Exactly the same as before. Nothing will change, as it never does. Just another pronouncement, with no teeth. Nobody will follow it through. Even if it does become law (very, very unlikely) nobody will enforce it. Is there even an equivalent of an attorney general here, and if so, what rock has he been hiding under? Is there a consumer protection agency? Does anyone care? The whitening cremes would be a great place to start. Have always felt bad for Thai women who spend so much money on the Michael Jackson cremes, which do nothing.

• Like 1

It should apply to everything, I do not read Thai but I know an offer when I see one esp when its written in English. In the current handout from BIG C there is an offer for some crisps it says buy one get one free, picture of the bag and underneath it says buy 2 and get 1 free. Where are the proof readers for these things if the government put some consumer protection into action the standards might improve dramatically, we live in hopewai.gif

How about all the restaurants selling "Sea Bass" dishes when this fish is actually a massed produced pond bred fresh water estuary perch fish. They sell it as

a seawater fish and grossly overcharge. Sometimes they have the audacity to market it as white snapper.

And that from the same ministry that just a few months ago endorsed the "breast-slapping technique" for IMMEDIATE and PERMANENT (!!!) female bust enhancement applied by a certain Khmemmika Na Songkhla at a price of "only" 18,000 Baht for two half-hour sessions as a 'medically sound, natural remedy deeply rooted in Thai tradition'. As usual, the mind boggles.

• Like 2

I was privalged to see a flyer that adverts 02, oxygen pills and cream that is also known in "special" cases to cure HIV. My thai wife was impressed and asked if we could purchase this. Claimed it must be true, "just read it!!".

As noted above, I for one am sure and I try my best to pass on this wonderful breast enhancement to any woman that asks. May not work, but can't blame a guy for trying to help!!!!

I like to see how the National Health Assembly and FDA deals with ads from companies like Procter and Gamble. Unilever, Nestle, Elca(Clinique, Estee lauder, La mer, etc),, Johnson and Johnson, etc including local companies like Amaxs Massage Chairs, Mistine, Giffarine, etc, as far as I am concerned the local FDA is one of the most corrupt organisations here and everyone from there should be investigated along with the rest of the Ministry Of Public Health officials!

I like the one where the older guy is doing tai chi in the park and sees the ladies jogging but knows his willy dont work, then he starts taking some herbal capsules, and gets his power back, he then kicks a can (?) the ladies scream and he then becomes the stud of the park.

That is an ad? I always thought that was a reality show. rolleyes.gif

Oh dam_n, I was planning on releasing a new amazing skin whitening cream that really works! I'd also found another cream that increases female breast size from an A cup to a G cup in just five years. Oh and I have another cream that cures every disease ever and it really works! With these new plans to ban my false totally true adverts for vaseline my skin miracle creams, I don't stand a chance.

\yes that one is specail.. but heck it works.. the advertising I mean... it makes you watch it from start to finish....if I believed the product could drive the ladies as frenzied in the ad I would be first to use it.. ha

I guess we live in the land of half truths? Makes you very skeptical about anything you see or hear. There should be laws in place to protect those who are not very bright from lieing advertisers. The adverts are entertaining though!

Regarding the powered milk that makes your children clever: it was scientifically proven that its healthier for babies to drink breast milk than powdered milk. The intelligence comes from the gene pool of the parents (or prior generations) ;)

And that from the same ministry that just a few months ago endorsed the "breast-slapping technique" for IMMEDIATE and PERMANENT (!!!) female bust enhancement applied by a certain Khmemmika Na Songkhla at a price of "only" 18,000 Baht for two half-hour sessions as a 'medically sound, natural remedy deeply rooted in Thai tradition'. As usual, the mind boggles.

You don't need to slap the breasts, you just need to wipe the cleavage with a bit of toilet paper each day...

If you don't believe me, just look at my wife's arse...

"For instance, anyone advertising a food product without prior approval needs to pay just Bt5,000 in fines, while companies or individuals posting ads that exaggerate the benefits of a product face up to three years in prison and/or a maximum fine of Bt30,000".

why can't traffic infractions, violations have similar penalty fines like the above rather than petty 200 baht fines etc.?

I'm glad to see they're ready to take action,it's obvious that the majority of food and cosmetic products produced in Thailand will soon disappear from the shelves as most of them advertise things that aren't true.....................................Haha,I'm only joking.

Everything will stay the same,the consumer will get cheated as usual and some people will get rich from kickbacks in the next few months.

So how will all the skin-whitening cream manufacturers, and dried-milk to-make-your-kids look intelligent or like luk-krungs, manage to flog their products in future ? rolleyes.gif

Exactly the same as before. Nothing will change, as it never does. Just another pronouncement, with no teeth. Nobody will follow it through. Even if it does become law (very, very unlikely) nobody will enforce it. Is there even an equivalent of an attorney general here, and if so, what rock has he been hiding under? Is there a consumer protection agency? Does anyone care? The whitening cremes would be a great place to start. Have always felt bad for Thai women who spend so much money on the Michael Jackson cremes, which do nothing.

WRONG about the Creams doing Nothing....

They Promote Cancer!!!!

CS

You don't need to slap the breasts, you just need to wipe the cleavage with a bit of toilet paper each day...

If you don't believe me, just look at my wife's arse...

Now That is some Funny shit!!