Farlang Drivers..Phuket

barka

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gee,

Tis high season and all....... The que to get out of Patong is nuts. thge que in Rawai to get to HaYek can be a few thousand meters and the world is crazy on the road. Sure, we can go a good thread with new info. I vote for the tunnel to reduce traffic but no news on the hayek problem.....

Do we really need another topic about bad driving ??

OK UPTO YOU, BUT I WILL GIVE AN EXAMPLE ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO MY PATRNER YESTERDAY..

She was driving her motorbike,going towards Chalong oppisite Flintstones, nice and easy she does not drive fast..a motorbike came quickly from a smsll soi not looking straight in front of her,causing her to brake sharply she skidded came off the bike injuring her knee badlt..

the driver stopped and helped her and stayed with her untill help came ,funnily enough,the helper was an AIA insurance man..

moral of the story.....

my GF let the farlang driver go..the AIA man asked did she have any accident insurance,saying everyone should have one,she was cofused ans said she,s not sure....i went to pick her up and took her to hospital for x ray and treatment came to 6,000bht...

As it hapened dhe did have insurance and can claim it back...THAIS ARNT ALL BAD AND LOOKING TO SCAM THE FARLANGS..

OK UPTO YOU, BUT I WILL GIVE AN EXAMPLE ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO MY PATRNER YESTERDAY..

She was driving her motorbike,going towards Chalong oppisite Flintstones, nice and easy she does not drive fast..a motorbike came quickly from a smsll soi not looking straight in front of her,causing her to brake sharply she skidded came off the bike injuring her knee badlt..

the driver stopped and helped her and stayed with her untill help came ,funnily enough,the helper was an AIA insurance man..

moral of the story.....

my GF let the farlang driver go..the AIA man asked did she have any accident insurance,saying everyone should have one,she was cofused ans said she,s not sure....i went to pick her up and took her to hospital for x ray and treatment came to 6,000bht...

As it hapened dhe did have insurance and can claim it back...THAIS ARNT ALL BAD AND LOOKING TO SCAM THE FARLANGS..

So who was doing the bad driving? Anyone should know when approaching a "small soi" one should be prepared that this is a normal behaviour in Thailand (exiting a soi without looking)

• Like 1

]OK UPTO YOU, BUT I WILL GIVE AN EXAMPLE ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED TO MY PATRNER YESTERDAY..

moral of the story.....

So who was doing the bad driving? Anyone should know when approaching a "small soi" one should be prepared that this is a normal behaviour in Thailand (exiting a soi without looking)

OK ,so what could you do and how quick would your reactions be,?i am not defending her,but i am giving an example of bad driving by a farlabg..

Was driving home down my liitle Soi last night and a tourist pulled out right in front of me. I think he pooped his pants when he saw my Ninja accelerating towards him with fully clad rider. Luckily i have ABS and managed to avoid him.

One thing I like about farrangs though, is that they will look you in the eye - his eyes said - 'oh my god...i'm an idiot.' Priceless! jap.gif

One thing I like about farrangs though, is that they will look you in the eye - his eyes said - 'oh my god...i'm an idiot.' Priceless! jap.gif

True, I find that a major difference. If a Thai makes a mistake in traffic they will look straight ahead and simply ignore you. A lot of foreigners if they make a mistake will acknowledge that and say sorry.

OK ,so what could you do and how quick would your reactions be,?i am not defending her,but i am giving an example of bad driving by a farlabg..

Approaching a small soi? Obviously one moves to the right, knowing that there is a reasonable chance of someone pulling out of the soi without looking.

id rathjer have all the bad drivers in the world than all the farangs writing falang/forang/farong on thaivisa.. at least the first have a chance to have a proper wife

What are you on about? FARLANG.. flaming again..

Approaching a small soi? Obviously one moves to the right, knowing that there is a reasonable chance of someone pulling out of the soi without looking.

SO what are you trying to say,shes been driving motor bikes and cars, here in Phuket for over 20 years and this is her firs bad accident..

Thanks for sending me out of the office with a chuckle LIK. Need this just like another hole in the head..........how about a tuk-tuk thread topper!

BTW-can someone tell me what a Farlang is?

Edited by grumpyoldman

Thanks for sending me out of the office with a chuckle LIK. Need this just like another hole in the head..........how about a tuk-tuk thread topper!

BTW-can someone tell me what a Farlang is?

HI GOM,things were getting boring on here,always good to get the flamers going..have a good weekend..

SO what are you trying to say,shes been driving motor bikes and cars, here in Phuket for over 20 years and this is her firs bad accident..

SO? Even after 20 years one still has to pay attention. And yes, take into account that someone may be coming form a sidestreet, and yes, anticipate and look if someone is coming from the sidestreets.

True, I find that a major difference. If a Thai makes a mistake in traffic they will look straight ahead and simply ignore you. A lot of foreigners if they make a mistake will acknowledge that and say sorry.

I tend to find Thais burst into giggles when they almost cause an accident. I have witnessed this on many occasions. I suppose it is the embarrassed smile/laugh.

C'mon people, the major reason for the bad driving non-Thais are the Thais. A case of monkey see, monkey do. If the locals had good driving habits with proper enforcement, you can be sure that the non-locals would follow the model. But as it is today, you have locals driving like idiots and non-locals following them and driving like idiots. You want to change the atmosphere of driving in Thailand? Get the police to enforce the rules across the board and you can bet that everyone will fall in line. Oh, their may be some grumbling on both sides, but people will eventually adhere to the codes of the road.

Are you joking? REALLY??? Thais are the very WORST drivers in the world! And this is not just my longterm expert based on experience "opinion"...it is backed up by what the Thai goverment itself says. Please Google Deputy PM Suthep's visit here to Phuket some months back (I think for an appearance for wear your helmut campaign here on Phuket)...anyway if you Google it you will find an aticle in the Gazette (horrible newspaper I know but in this case they actually reported something) where said Deputy PM told us all that Thailand ranks number TWO in the WHOLE world in traffic FATALITIES...NOT accidents...FATALITIES and NOT "per capita".Thailand is only the 19th most populus country in the world. So what does that tell us? It tells us that Thais are incredibly dangerous drivers. Which also happens to mesh with my very considerable experience in this struggling democracy. And those figures have very very little to do with the idiot farangs who think "oh well, its only Thailand" and who then proceed to drive like the same idiots.

There are well changes that there are a few foreigners which to different reasons, previously serious criminal acts can be one of them or not have the money and repeatedly not pass the tests in their home countries (Western/ Northern Europe it can quickly cost 5-7K Euro) who should not have been on road here either. Here it’s cheap and easy, who in the transport office ask for you’re on of the road behavior in your country of origin!

However I don’t think foreign drivers is even near to be a problem for the patrol Police in Phuket!

5 cars crashing into each other and setting off a massive explosition is hardly enough of a problem to get the patrol police out of bed, of course a Foralangorilang(trying to please all the shady people with shady wives who taught them how to shadily pronounce thai words) turning out of a soi with his eyes closed thai style is no concern.

Not trying to brand sterotype but the worst farlang drivers seem to be either in a Toyota Vigo or Fortuner drivers.

I think it's a case of monkey see, monkey do because Thai fortuner drivers seem to be oblivious to anyone else on the road.