Air Asia

gennisis

I decided to take a few days jaunt to Kuala Lumpur...with some trepidation...because of many posts on this forum regarding the Air Asia website.

.I accessed their website to book my flights from Chiang Mai.

Found I was lucky with my dates because my flights were on promotion...approx half price

I found it quite easy both to book the flight and to evade the 'extras',having said that, they did try 5 times to get me to have the insurance.

Credit card transaction went well. although a 100 baht fee.

I was surprised to find that I could print my boarding pass straight away,since my flights are not until next month.

So,it seems no problems at all.

Yes I checked in and printed my boarding card for a flight in ten days time, seems that you can now check-in at any time after your flight confirmation has been issued.

I note your comment about the insurance, I had to deselct insurance at the check in stage as well.

• Like 1

I agree with all the positive comments above and I am a fan of Air Asia. I am a frequent user and you are OK if you understand what you are buying. They are a decent budget+ airline.

However, I have one complaint after just returning from Phnom Penh. What is the point of checking in online if they don't then offer dedicated check-in desks for online check in ?

Not only did we have to queue behind those people who chose to pay 100 Baht extra but it seemed to take them just as long to process us.

My conclusion (which may have been down to local inefficiency/poor systems) was that, apart from saving a couple of Quid, there was no advantage to checking in online.

Air Asia invariably run their flights late. although they do keep you posted.

I would agree with Cardholders comments re dedicated check-in desks for those who have checked in online. I too had a similar exerience at Phnom penh earlier this week. All seems to work well at Suvarnabhumi though.

Air Asia invariably run their flights late. although they do keep you posted.

I would agree with Cardholders comments re dedicated check-in desks for those who have checked in online. I too had a similar exerience at Phnom penh earlier this week. All seems to work well at Suvarnabhumi though.

Some people will moan about anything and everything.

I have clocked up about 50 flights on AA in the last 2 years. To date I have had one 1 hour delay, every other flight has left on schedule.

Having flown many airlines extensively in Europe and N.America I would rate AA as one of the best airlines out there, and if you are organized and plan ahead, by far the cheapest. For instance I am flying KUL-MEL for less then US$50 in the summer. It is very rarely that any of their rivals come close in terms of price, and with new planes, a genuine service ethos and an ever growing network they are my default option.

Petty niggles re insurance, seats etc are just a distraction and hardly represent an insurmountable challenge to anyone but the seriously incompetent.

What I need is a safe, new plane flying when I want, where I want, for a price that means I can do 2 more similar trips for the price Thai would charge me for the same route.

Flew to Singapore on 23rd Jan, flight arrived 35 minutes AHEAD of schedule.Return flight was only 15 mins AHEAD of schedule.

Use AA many times and overall a very acceptable inexpensive experience if you can book well in advance,I think that is the key.

Could some kind traveller out there offer clarification as to when you pay Check in fee's with Air Asia and when you don't?

I am under the impression that all International flights with Air Asia have no check in fee. The check in fee only applies to domestic travel. Is that domestic travel in Thailand alone or other surrounding countries?

When I check the Thai website is click's to the Malaysian website with the info on Check in fee's and talks about MYR charges.. that I would assume means domestic Malaysia.

Can somebody give me a answer one way or the other please?

Do I pay at Check in and how much (domestic travel in Thailand)?

If I Check in online do I avoid paying the check in fee?

Thanks

B

Could some kind traveller out there offer clarification as to when you pay Check in fee's with Air Asia and when you don't?

I am under the impression that all International flights with Air Asia have no check in fee. The check in fee only applies to domestic travel. Is that domestic travel in Thailand alone or other surrounding countries?

When I check the Thai website is click's to the Malaysian website with the info on Check in fee's and talks about MYR charges.. that I would assume means domestic Malaysia.

Thanks

B

Yes.

I've flown with AA 40 odd times in the last two years, I had one delay of approx 40 minutes at Swampy, otherwise all other flights ran perfectly. They have a policy of over-stating their flight times so that they can boast about how efficient they are, fine, that doesn't bother me......I now know the average flight time from Swampy to Chiang Mai is about 55 minutes so if they want to pretend it's longer than that then up to them.

They now have a loyalty club called Biggies ( I think ) I know I joined it when they launched it recently but bizzarely I haven't flown with them since as Kan Airways are great for the Northern towns, and Bangkok Airways have beaten AA on price and scheduling the last few times I have compared.

I fly into Thailand with Emirates, and when I am travelling directly on to Chiang Mai I use Thai Airways as Emirates are linked with them through Codeshare ( I believe ). When I get to Dubai I book in with Thai Airways for the ongoing flight, and with the ticket in hand I can by-pass the long immigration queues at Swampy by clearing through immigration onto the domestic flight. It might cost me an extra 600 baht on average but I would pay that any day to save being caught in the horrific queues that ( sometimes ) occur at Swampy.

Thanks

B

Yes.

+1

If you have ever seen the clowns queueing for check-in at KL LCCT then you will know why AA have introduced this policy. People show up 3 minutes before check in with the entire contents of their houses with them and start screaming when they get told they are 3 tons overweight......the problem is it holds everybody else up. I saw one situation at Swampy where the family tied up the check-in assistant for over 45 minutes......I saw the queue and went for a cup of tea, and when I came back the same family where still there. Disgrace.

AA are in a bit of strife in Oz.

Australia has some pretty strict advertising laws where businesses cannot advertise a very low cost then when you book it is actually more with add ons. People got sick of airlines advertising this way but I guess AA didn't get the memo.

AUSTRALIA'S consumer watchdog today said it has launched legal action against AirAsia alleging the Malaysian-based budget carrier did not include all charges for airfares advertised on its website.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/airasia-engaged-in-misleading-conduct-over-advertised-fares-says-consumer-watchdog/story-e6frg95x-1226252418598

I agree with all the positive comments above and I am a fan of Air Asia. I am a frequent user and you are OK if you understand what you are buying. They are a decent budget+ airline.

However, I have one complaint after just returning from Phnom Penh. What is the point of checking in online if they don't then offer dedicated check-in desks for online check in ?

Not only did we have to queue behind those people who chose to pay 100 Baht extra but it seemed to take them just as long to process us.

My conclusion (which may have been down to local inefficiency/poor systems) was that, apart from saving a couple of Quid, there was no advantage to checking in online.

this 100-Baht check-in-fee has long been discontinued again on international routes.

I agree with u that it us pretty much useless to check in online when there is no dedicated "baggage-drop-counter".

Air Asia has only one BIG problem lately, They are VERY EXPENSIVE domestically if you happen to travel with check-in luggage.

I am still using them on international routes (except to KUL, where a LUFTHANSA RETURN-TICKET is usually cheaper than an Air Asia ONE-WAY-TICKET), but in the past 2 years did not even fly them once domestically - even I had 15+ domestic flights or so. but other airlines (usually - believe it or not - Bangkok Air) were always cheaper. Routes mostly to CNX or HKT with the odd HDY and UTH flight (where NOK AIR offered the best fares).

Edited by siam2007