Chinese Restaurant In Soi Welcome

rmicheald

My wife and I went to a chinese restaurant in soi Welcome, off of Jomtien Beach Road. It is authentic Chinese, not Americanized Chinese. It wasn't spice or sweet. Everything had a delicate flavor except for one dish. I ordered the fried dumplings (Yoza?) and they were like a dim sum crisp on one side...the sauce was tasty. I also ordered pork with green pepper and that was very delicately flavored and tasty. My wife ordered some goat dish with vegetables. She kept making faces like she had died and gone to heaven. The meat was very tender and the dish nicely flavored. She also ordered a snap peas in the shell dish with pork. ITHIS WAS EXCELLENT!!! it was the one dish that didn't have a delicate flavor to it. It had a Bold Smokey flavor that was very good... One of the tastiest dishes I have EVER eaten. She also ordered a vegetable dish but we got something different than what she had ordered. What we got was an eggplant and potatoe dish (at least I think they were potatoes) that was pretty tasty. I don't usually like eggplant too much, but I enjoyed this.

With drinks, the bill came to 740 baht.

The restaurant is about a third of the way down soi Welcome on the right side. There is a lighted sign with menu pictures outside that says "Chinese food is everything". There are a couple of red Chinese lanterns outside too.

All in all a very pleasant dining experience. We will be going back. The first thing the wife said when we got back home was "When are we going to go get another massage and eat there again?".

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on the case! cowboy.gif I am surprised to hear about goat on the menu though. Yes, I know the Chinese eat everything but first time I've heard of a Chinese goat dish. I've also never seen goat on ANY menu in Thailand. I like goat when cooked properly but it is a VERY strong meat that you can often taste the next day. Are you sure it was really goat or maybe a translation issue, like maybe it was mutton?

I'm not fully clear on where Soi Welcome is. I have found most of the restaurants around that general location to be dreary tourist traps. So is it at Soi 14 or is it at the same soi as the Welcome Beach Hotel?

Edited by Jingthing

I'm on the case! cowboy.gif I am surprised to hear about goat on the menu though. Yes, I know the Chinese eat everything but first time I've heard of a Chinese goat dish. I've also never seen goat on ANY menu in Thailand. I like goat when cooked properly but it is a VERY strong meat that you can often taste the next day. Are you sure it was really goat or maybe a translation issue, like maybe it was mutton?

I'm not fully clear on where Soi Welcome is. I have found most of the restaurants around that general location to be dreary tourist traps. So is it at Soi 14 or is it at the same soi as the Welcome Beach Hotel?

I am only going by what my wife said as far as the "goat". They gave her a menu in Thai and me one in English and I didn't happen to see that menu entry.

I believe the soi is where the Welcome Beach Hotel is. It has that big half circle sign that says "WELCOME".

• Like 1

Great new food find!!

Thanks for posting rMike! Went there today and the staff/owners/people there are absolutely the real thing: Mandarin-speaking Chinese people from Beijing. No English, and a tiny amount of Thai (They were putting up their big, new sign while I was there- advetrtising ribs, sushi & pork dishes and I heard one of the men talking with the workmen... not very much Thai). Very nice people, I could see they were trying their best to be hospitable. But, on the spot & forgetting much of my Mandarin it was a challenge, complete with charades and everything.

Finally, we settled on Szechuan Pork with Eggplant, Ma Po Tofu & steamed rice (no goat today). I wanted to order these crisp-fried chicken wings with eggplant & spicy sauce that I used to eat in Beijing, but I didn't see it on the menu (pretty big, but needs pictures!) and I lost at Charades...

But, the Szechuan pork was really good- with thick, (medium) spicy, flavorful sauce and the tofu was pretty good, too: right taste, but sauce, although (medium) spicy & flavorful with Szechuan peppercorns, was thin and had little, alien carrot cubes. I think the rice came with them from Beijing; it tasted like that, and they charged 40 baht (must be imprted, right?)!

Good lunch; like many good Asian meals, my mouth's still tingling. The entire bill came to 330 baht- a little high for lunch around here. However, these 3 tastes were unique to the Jomtien eating scene and I have no regrets; I'll go back again soon, for sure.

cool.png

• Like 1

Goat and mutton is often eaten in Western China due to the Muslim influence. Many Chinese muslim estuarants have popped up in cities populated by migrant workers. In fact I have seen the odd goat tethered outside restuarants in Southern China waiting to be ordered and dispatched accordingly.

Surprised to hear of it in Jomtien - perhaps JT can up date us if he tries the food.

Goat and mutton is often eaten in Western China due to the Muslim influence. Many Chinese muslim estuarants have popped up in cities populated by migrant workers. In fact I have seen the odd goat tethered outside restuarants in Southern China waiting to be ordered and dispatched accordingly.

Surprised to hear of it in Jomtien - perhaps JT can up date us if he tries the food.

My mouth is starting to water. I don't think my tastebuds can wait for JT much longer

Went there tonight ,

Very good fried Chinese style salapow sold in front for 20 baht each.

Food ordered was OK , guess I should have ordered the stewed turtle for 600 baht :(

Communication is an issue as English is not spoked and the one lady cook has very basic Thai.

There is a English menu and it is pretty extensive.

Went there tonight ,

Food ordered was OK , guess I should have ordered the stewed turtle for 600 baht sad.png

Communication is an issue as English is not spoked and the one lady cook has very basic Thai.

Am i the only one who doesn't know what a salapow is?

The place is Beijing style dumpling heaven. They also have Sechuan food. Their Beijing food is better (better executed, more authentic), at least I think so at this point and I do have knowledge about both. But that doesn't mean there is better Sechuan food in town. Huge varied menu. The best Chinese place in town now if you want authentic regional Chinese food but extremely rough around the edges service wise. Also, it's a dive as if I care, but you might. Don't bother dressing for dinner. Bring a translator (Mandarin I would assume). Tiny place. They are going to be blown away if crowds start showing up. Should be hilarious! These folks are not going to be learning English, ever! I am surprised to hear the lady even speaks any Thai. Why buy a ticket to Beijing? You can experience Chinese culture shock here in Jomtien.

BTW, there are quite a few dishes on the menu which are indeed Sechuan dishes that are not labeled that way. You would have to know something about the food to realize that. I haven't given up hope that there are some Sechuan gems on the menu but I do think the Beijing stuff, like the steamed dumplings (many varieties) will be more predictably/consistently good and pleasing.

Thanks OP for the stellar find. I would have never known about the place myself given its location. You may have created a monster!

Also note the crowd that thinks China Garden UK style Chinese food is the shit, likely won't like this place.

It's really cool that Jomtien is becoming a destination for local foodies offering stuff not found anywhere else in the area.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

The place is Beijing style dumpling heaven. They also have Sechuan food. Their Beijing food is better (better executed, more authentic), at least I think so at this point and I do have knowledge about both. But that doesn't mean there is better Sechuan food in town. Huge varied menu. The best Chinese place in town now if you want authentic regional Chinese food but extremely rough around the edges service wise. Also, it's a dive as if I care, but you might. Don't bother dressing for dinner. Bring a translator (Mandarin I would assume). Tiny place. They are going to be blown away if crowds start showing up. Should be hilarious! These folks are not going to be learning English, ever! I am surprised to hear the lady even speaks any Thai. Why buy a ticket to Beijing? You can experience Chinese culture shock here in Jomtien.

BTW, there are quite a few dishes on the menu which are indeed Sechuan dishes that are not labeled that way. You would have to know something about the food to realize that. I haven't given up hope that there are some Sechuan gems on the menu but I do think the Beijing stuff, like the steamed dumplings (many varieties) will be more predictably/consistently good and pleasing.

Thanks OP for the stellar find. I would have never known about the place myself given its location. You may have created a monster!

Also note the crowd that thinks China Garden UK style Chinese food is the shit, likely won't like this place.

It's really cool that Jomtien is becoming a destination for local foodies offering stuff not found anywhere else in the area.

So did you eat something or just look at the menu?
  • Like 2

ROFL

You'd have thought he'd try the food at this place, but no indication from the review. Anyways, he did the same on the (almost) famous Sunrise Tacos thread, praising it's virtues for weeks before sitting down for a meal.

ROFL

You'd have thought he'd try the food at this place, but no indication from the review. Anyways, he did the same on the (almost) famous Sunrise Tacos thread, praising it's virtues for weeks before sitting down for a meal.

Indeed ...He may be there finishing off the orange chicken or the Hunan beef?

Indeed curious... How they can survive if they don't speak English and only speak limited Thai? Anyway, this weekend, will go there with hub and a lady from Beijing... At least we shall not have communication problem, ho ho ho ....

Think they may be geared to Chinese bus tourists , not sure but the soi is a tourist glut of massage shops and restaurants.

A salapow is more of a fluffy steamed dumpling ,

salapow.jpg

Went there tonight ,

Food ordered was OK , guess I should have ordered the stewed turtle for 600 baht sad.png

Am i the only one who doesn't know what a salapow is?

I guess he means sia pow?

Edit: having seen the photo, yes he means sia pow.

Edited by PattayaParent

JT is such an expert he can tell what the food is like by looking at the pictures.

• Like 1

Indeed curious... How they can survive if they don't speak English and only speak limited Thai? Anyway, this weekend, will go there with hub and a lady from Beijing... At least we shall not have communication problem, ho ho ho ....

Reminds me of a time I went to a Chinese restaurant in Leeds with a Chinese girl and after a few minutes of her jabbering away in Chinese the waitress asked her to speak in English because she couldn't understand my friends Chinese.

Edited by PattayaParent