Thai Army Has Veto Power Over Key Issues: Robert Amsterdam

webfact

This is from Wikipedia, so is not necessarily authoritative or objective. Please use your own best judgment:

RA Blogging activity

Amsterdam has two official blogs listed on Amsterdam & Peroff’s website:[20] and.[21]Amsterdam has published more than 5,000 original articles on his main blog and many legal blogs have cited his [22]" The prestigious blog "Siberian Light has ranked [23]" as one of the "Top 5 Russia blogs."[24] Amsterdam's blog was also a finalist in the 2007 Weblog Awards.[25]Among the various publications mentioning Mr. Amsterdam's achievements, a recent article published on the legal circuit quoted colleague lawyers stating that Amsterdam's blogging and lobbying activities are an example demonstrating legal and ethical obligations to clients.[26]Amsterdam is known to use Blogs as a platform for sharing his cause with internet readers. He is well verse with gorilla [guerrilla, sic] marketing and getting his clients point across the web in a short amount of time. K Social Media Consulting LLC [27] is a company that runs full scale media campaigns for clients. Amsterdam employs this company to establish a strong presence in the online community to support his clients cause. Although Robert Amsterdam champions free speech, many people have raised concerns when they try to post comments on his Blog that does not support Mr. Amsterdam's view. Internet readers have repetitively said that their comments were never posted or simply deleted on Amsterdam's blogs.

I notice it says nothing about his honesty just that he can promote and t doesn't have to be a honest point of view for him to promote.

• Like 1

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"..........asserting that the numbers voting for them (PTP) would increase if an election was called tomorrow or that the voters are even more solidly behind the governement is just speculation on your part.

But I stand firmly behind this speculation.

Let's save this message and talk again after the next election.

I ask you again:

Was the country more democratic in 2001 or in 2005? If the military and especially 'etc' were so anti democratic as claimed, can you name another country in SE asia that had a more free press or was more democratic in 2001? Why were there no coups between 1992 and 2006?

Rather than discuss Mr. Amsterdam, how about some attention be given to his statement. Do people agree or disagree with this;

The Yingluck administration is not fully in charge of this country. We all know it. We all know the Army has a veto over what happens here. Let's not pretend. And therefore I understand that were this government to [sack General Prayuth], it would be removed militarily without hesitation," he said. Nevertheless he wished Prayuth could be removed

I agree with him. The military is still calling the plays and that is why there cannot be any progress on key issues such as corruption.

Do you really believe that if you removed the army from the equation that the current administration would become less corrupt ?

I beg to differ sir, I think it would be open season on the nations assets.

If we accept the general view in Thailand that Thaksin is running the country and already having relatives running the government and the police then putting another in charge of the military would enable him to control everything to such an extent he could eradicate corruption in the kingdom in no time, along with drugs, flooding, traffic jams, gambling, the mafia, soi dogs, rubbish burning, illegal logging, prostitution, even jet ski scams and Thailand would be a land of never ending smiles again.

Edited by bigbamboo

It's interesting to see how many people, despite probably having lived in Thailand for at least some period, seem so content to blame one party over the other: "It's Thaksin!" "No, it's the military." This when anyone who's lived and worked in Thailand for any period could tell you that power and power-sharing in Thailand is incredibly fractured and informalized. Often, personal characteristics having nothing to do with the requirements or purpose of the job decide a candidate's suitability. The people with the 'President' or other generic boss placard, be it in a school, business or government office, are often beholden to interests and traditions that completely constrain their hands in management. While I could not claim to understand how this power works in the Thai government, it seems fairly clear that the status-quo is what we have today: an uneasy, unspoken power-sharing agreement between the government (pro-Thaksin and anti-Thaksin, but mostly pro-) and military (anti-Thaksin), with the 'third institution' (if you will), and the most powerful, as an 'influence' and 'guiding, moral force' behind much of what happens in the earthly realm that we populate. The latter element is probably THE factor that prevents the military from doing what it would like to do, which is run public relations campaigns for itself and govern, forcibly, from behind the scenes. If I see any parallels with the Thai military, it is from China, which is a country especially keen on bi-lateral (instead of multi-lateral) international relations and the informal wielding of power and influence. I don't think, however, that we can assume the military is flat-out 'running things' and that it isn't beholden to the same traditions and orthodoxies that constrain other other two elements of Thai power. This is one of the major reason that the country has so frequently bungled recovery operations after disasters; no one know who is boss because offense may be caused by the 'youngest executive' merely LOOKING too aggressive amongst his/her older cohorts.

He also has no clue about Thailand, which he clearly proved in all his previous statements as a paid Thaksin lobbyist

A huge swath of the Thai electorate, in fact the majority, would beg to differ with that.

This article demonstrates that he knows very well what is going on behind the scenes.

48% isn't the majority

The question here is why anyone should pay any attention to a man who is hired by the opposition to run noise for them.

Mister Amsterdam, when you have a government that is being run by the Shinawatra family, its extended family including the Damapongs, friends and other crony assiciates of your clients, you do not have democracy.

If this sorry collection of paid individuals performed well for the country in a matter, say, similar to Singapore then that could possibly be overlooked. But it doesn't.

If the cabinet had performed from the kick-off, we wouldn't have had all these changes (more cronies) but they screwed up whatever they touched. Flooding and post-flood are still disasters. The heros here were the army.

So in a world with minsiters every 5 minutes you want the defense of the country in the same basket? Another man with Shinawatra DNA? Maybe someone with Zimbabwean roots?

Methinks you and your employers are after the crown jewels Mister Amsterdam

Either you are new to Thailand and don't have a clue or you are trying to be funny. There is no way you believe this crap that you posted. "How the flood was handled was exemplary".cheesy.gif Sure they were with a guy that sold lion, tiger and elephant meat at a restaurant on the staff to controll the floods.

• Like him or not, he represents the views of a huge electoral block in the country, those responsible for electing Ms. Y. and co. That is why one should pay attention.
  • In spite of all the electoral faults of Thailand, this Govt. was elected, and is Democratic as a result. For Thailand, this is pretty good.
  • This collection of individuals were elected in as fair an election as Thailand can muster.
  • Political appointees after an election are not cronies, but appointees by those who were elected by the people. Next time Abhi. and Co. win an election, they will also appoint people of their own kind - not cronies.
  • But those "crown jewels" won an election and were the choice to govern thailand by a majority of the governed.
  • How the flood was handled was exemplary when compared to how other nations and leaders handled their disasters. Whenever one is inclined to criticise this Govts. handling of the flood disaster, I always ask the question, "which nation and leader did better?' I have never received an answer to that question.

Now after the floods all has changed and the Army was always there to help Thaskin was no where to be seen
Nothing has changed

The army was there to help, and they had better have been.

To try and equate a salaried state entity, conducting state assigned duties, while accumulating pensionable service,.......... with volunteerism is incorrect.

The UDD/Red Shirts singlehandedly did more than any other organized force in the country, to provide flood assistance to BKK.

I was personally wittness to seven (7) trips to Bangkok, involving sixteen (16) truckloads of stuff. Not pick-ups, but dumptruck equivelants.

The operation at Don Muang was excellent, in spite of the Opposition trying to use it to denigrate the Govt, with their incessant FROC-flogging.

To say that a non-volunteer force did everything and volunteerism did nothing, is a gross indecency.

lol utter factless crap

This poster is entitled to his useless propaganda in favour of Mr. Amsterdam. this man is a highly paid overweight, and will always be on the payroll until this rubbish he speaks is ended. Army is here to save the nation from dictatorship-pillage-plunder, and if these now in power carry on despite Khun Thaksin or Amsterdams money==it will sure step in again.

If they perform well (impossible with P.M. cabinet) there will be no problems.

If Abhisit and his reasonable cabinet was so bad-Why wasn't there a coup?????? to get him out. I am sure even the Dems being corrupt as this lot would have been out. All Thai governments have corruption, BUT non as much as this regime.

But who is here to save the nation from the Army's "dictatorship-pillage-plunder"?

In a properly functioning nation the military is the servant of the state. The military has a vital function in any country but effectively running it for political and economic gain is, as previously stated, to everyone's disadvantage apart from a few at the top.

As an ex-army person I certainly have no anti-military axe to grind. Simply put I firmly believe the military has no right to basically rule a country (or at the very least wield a powerful veto over how it is run), and certainly not to run it for economic gain if only because they tend to do it pretty badly (see countless examples around the world (Argentina, Brazil, Ghana etc) of how the military do a lousy job running a nation, just look across the border to Myanmar).

• Like 1

Now after the floods all has changed and the Army was always there to help Thaskin was no where to be seen
Nothing has changed

To try and equate a salaried state entity, conducting state assigned duties, while accumulating pensionable service,.......... with volunteerism is incorrect.

The UDD/Red Shirts singlehandedly did more than any other organized force in the country, to provide flood assistance to BKK.

I was personally wittness to seven (7) trips to Bangkok, involving sixteen (16) truckloads of stuff. Not pick-ups, but dumptruck equivelants.

The operation at Don Muang was excellent, in spite of the Opposition trying to use it to denigrate the Govt, with their incessant FROC-flogging.

To say that a non-volunteer force did everything and volunteerism did nothing, is a gross indecency.

lol utter factless crap

This poster is entitled to his useless propaganda in favour of Mr. Amsterdam. this man is a highly paid overweight, and will always be on the payroll until this rubbish he speaks is ended. Army is here to save the nation from dictatorship-pillage-plunder, and if these now in power carry on despite Khun Thaksin or Amsterdams money==it will sure step in again.

If Abhisit and his reasonable cabinet was so bad-Why wasn't there a coup?????? to get him out. I am sure even the Dems being corrupt as this lot would have been out. All Thai governments have corruption, BUT non as much as this regime.

But who is here to save the nation from the Army's "dictatorship-pillage-plunder"?

In a properly functioning nation the military is the servant of the state. The military has a vital function in any country but effectively running it for political and economic gain is, as previously stated, to everyone's disadvantage apart from a few at the top.

As an ex-army person I certainly have no anti-military axe to grind. Simply put I firmly believe the military has no right to basically rule a country (or at the very least wield a powerful veto over how it is run), and certainly not to run it for economic gain if only because they tend to do it pretty badly (see countless examples around the world (Argentina, Brazil, Ghana etc) of how the military do a lousy job running a nation, just look across the border to Myanmar).

As an ex-army person, who did you swear your allegiance to?

Can't get the quotes button to work, but in reply to the Oath of Allegiance question....

The Oath of Allegiance subordinates the interests of the individual to those of their unit, Army and nation as represented by the Crown.

The British Army serves the state rather than the other way round, and this has been a fundamental constitutional fact since Cromwell's military dictatorship and the backlash it generated.

I can agree totally with the Red Shirts and what they say they want, fairness and equality for all Thais but when they align themselves with Big T and(dance to his drum) PTP they have no crediability. Form your own political party run on your platform and lets see what happens

• Like 1

Can't get the quotes button to work, but in reply to the Oath of Allegiance question....

The Oath of Allegiance subordinates the interests of the individual to those of their unit, Army and nation as represented by the Crown.

The British Army serves the state rather than the other way round, and this has been a fundamental constitutional fact since Cromwell's military dictatorship and the backlash it generated.

See here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oath_of_Allegiance_(United_Kingdom)

Nothing has changed

lol utter factless crap

go read roadmans post above and you get the gist of things here

It's interesting to see how many people, despite probably having lived in Thailand for at least some period, seem so content to blame one party over the other: "It's Thaksin!" "No, it's the military." This when anyone who's lived and worked in Thailand for any period could tell you that power and power-sharing in Thailand is incredibly fractured and informalized. Often, personal characteristics having nothing to do with the requirements or purpose of the job decide a candidate's suitability. The people with the 'President' or other generic boss placard, be it in a school, business or government office, are often beholden to interests and traditions that completely constrain their hands in management. While I could not claim to understand how this power works in the Thai government, it seems fairly clear that the status-quo is what we have today: an uneasy, unspoken power-sharing agreement between the government (pro-Thaksin and anti-Thaksin, but mostly pro-) and military (anti-Thaksin), with the 'third institution' (if you will), and the most powerful, as an 'influence' and 'guiding, moral force' behind much of what happens in the earthly realm that we populate. The latter element is probably THE factor that prevents the military from doing what it would like to do, which is run public relations campaigns for itself and govern, forcibly, from behind the scenes. If I see any parallels with the Thai military, it is from China, which is a country especially keen on bi-lateral (instead of multi-lateral) international relations and the informal wielding of power and influence. I don't think, however, that we can assume the military is flat-out 'running things' and that it isn't beholden to the same traditions and orthodoxies that constrain other other two elements of Thai power. This is one of the major reason that the country has so frequently bungled recovery operations after disasters; no one know who is boss because offense may be caused by the 'youngest executive' merely LOOKING too aggressive amongst his/her older cohorts.

I live here 11yrs,i saw Thaksin,and i saw everybody and everything what came after Thaksin.My thinking is the army should lose power and stop intervene into politics,same as the untouchables,Thaksin maybe in farang eyes a bad PM,but everything what came after Thaksin hmm really sucks.many people in this forum say the democrats are great,well if great then why they did not show in 6yrs,and why they lost the elections?

The question here is why anyone should pay any attention to a man who is hired by the opposition to run noise for them.

Mister Amsterdam, when you have a government that is being run by the Shinawatra family, its extended family including the Damapongs, friends and other crony assiciates of your clients, you do not have democracy.

If this sorry collection of paid individuals performed well for the country in a matter, say, similar to Singapore then that could possibly be overlooked. But it doesn't.

If the cabinet had performed from the kick-off, we wouldn't have had all these changes (more cronies) but they screwed up whatever they touched. Flooding and post-flood are still disasters. The heros here were the army.

So in a world with minsiters every 5 minutes you want the defense of the country in the same basket? Another man with Shinawatra DNA? Maybe someone with Zimbabwean roots?

Methinks you and your employers are after the crown jewels Mister Amsterdam

• Like him or not, he represents the views of a huge electoral block in the country, those responsible for electing Ms. Y. and co. That is why one should pay attention.
  • In spite of all the electoral faults of Thailand, this Govt. was elected, and is Democratic as a result. For Thailand, this is pretty good.
  • This collection of individuals were elected in as fair an election as Thailand can muster.
  • Political appointees after an election are not cronies, but appointees by those who were elected by the people. Next time Abhi. and Co. win an election, they will also appoint people of their own kind - not cronies.
  • But those "crown jewels" won an election and were the choice to govern thailand by a majority of the governed.
  • How the flood was handled was exemplary when compared to how other nations and leaders handled their disasters. Whenever one is inclined to criticise this Govts. handling of the flood disaster, I always ask the question, "which nation and leader did better?' I have never received an answer to that question.

JAPAN

Not so good on the nuclear front though - or choosing flood free areas for their manufacturing bases in Thailand, but apart from that.........

This is from Wikipedia, so is not necessarily authoritative or objective. Please use your own best judgment:

RA Blogging activity

Amsterdam has two official blogs listed on Amsterdam & Peroff’s website:[20] and.[21]Amsterdam has published more than 5,000 original articles on his main blog and many legal blogs have cited his [22]" The prestigious blog "Siberian Light has ranked [23]" as one of the "Top 5 Russia blogs."[24] Amsterdam's blog was also a finalist in the 2007 Weblog Awards.[25]Among the various publications mentioning Mr. Amsterdam's achievements, a recent article published on the legal circuit quoted colleague lawyers stating that Amsterdam's blogging and lobbying activities are an example demonstrating legal and ethical obligations to clients.[26]Amsterdam is known to use Blogs as a platform for sharing his cause with internet readers. He is well verse with gorilla [guerrilla, sic] marketing and getting his clients point across the web in a short amount of time. K Social Media Consulting LLC [27] is a company that runs full scale media campaigns for clients. Amsterdam employs this company to establish a strong presence in the online community to support his clients cause. Although Robert Amsterdam champions free speech, many people have raised concerns when they try to post comments on his Blog that does not support Mr. Amsterdam's view. Internet readers have repetitively said that their comments were never posted or simply deleted on Amsterdam's blogs.

Perhaps you need to go further than take wikipedia as gospel. You could even check out Amsterdams blogs yourself. I did and picked out one from random about the constitution. The first post was a criticism http://robertamsterdam.com/thailand/?p=1057 I tried another one at random, only one post "what a ridiculous comparison" http://robertamsterdam.com/thailand/?p=1062 Another one, the same http://robertamsterdam.com/thailand/?p=971

I could go on but I think it's clear that there is not a clamp down on free speech on Amsterdams pages. Maybe that'll be a lesson to you to check for yourself and not just blindly accept things because of who they involve.

Perhaps you need to go further than take wikipedia as gospel. You could even check out Amsterdams blogs yourself. I did and picked out one from random about the constitution. The first post was a criticism http://robertamsterd...hailand/?p=1057 I tried another one at random, only one post "what a ridiculous comparison" http://robertamsterd...hailand/?p=1062 Another one, the same http://robertamsterd...thailand/?p=971

I could go on but I think it's clear that there is not a clamp down on free speech on Amsterdams pages. Maybe that'll be a lesson to you to check for yourself and not just blindly accept things because of who they involve.

There is no clamp-down on anything which may give a negative view of many things Thai, especially when it helps his customers. The third link starts with "As legal counsel for the National United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD, or “Red Shirts”)" as you may have noticed.

Anyway, somehow you seem to have been able to prove the point a few posters were making here: Robert A. is just doing what he's paid for, in a well-phrased way. Study his style, you may learn how to subtlely suggest without really saying. The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth is a totally different matter though.

Amsterdam, you hideous reptile, have you seen the Bangkok Post today?

2 Deputy Prime ministers, Chalerm and Yutthasak, fine specimens that they are, have come out in agreement with Prayuth over the amendment of section 112.

How do you feel now? Humiliated? Conned? Cheated? Scorned like a bitch?

CalgaryII - still working?

• Like 1

He is paid by the Shinawatras so he can be discussed as his motives are tainted. With this association he has gained wealth as well as another chin, so is fair game.

But what about what he said?

If a lobbyist isn't paid does he make a sound?

He is paid by the Shinawatras so he can be discussed as his motives are tainted. With this association he has gained wealth as well as another chin, so is fair game.

But what about what he said?

If a lobbyist isn't paid does he make a sound?

No, and there would be no doubt that whatever comes out of amsterdam is cleared first by the paymaster

He also has no clue about Thailand, which he clearly proved in all his previous statements as a paid Thaksin lobbyist

A huge swath of the Thai electorate, in fact the majority, would beg to differ with that.

This article demonstrates that he knows very well what is going on behind the scenes.

Do you have any proof that the 'majority of the electorate' would beg to differ with that?