Thai PM Yingluck Concedes Severe Floods Likely This Year

webfact

You have GOT to be joking. Utter incompetence (
EvilDrSomkid
)

Would never have happened under saintly Abhi.

If only those dam_n voters would realize that.

Totally irrelevant!

The current government gets praised for good things, lambasted for the bad. Same in any country. Human nature at work, I guess. Now let me tell you, how good things were ages ago when I was young biggrin.png

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely they have learned from last year and can avoid anything approaching the same scale reoccurring.

Incidentally, what happened to all the escaped crocs? Were they all caught? I only remember reading that 2 or 3 were caught...leaving around 100 out there still...breeding??

I am leaving ayutthaya city and Thailand by April, it;s clear that flooding will occur on a major scale again this year, whether it'll be on a similar scale to last year remains to be seen but i have absolutely no confidence at all in the management of any flood situation and neither do the Thais, Foreign investment will be "dead in the water" (pardon the pun)

Maybe they will 'float' the baht? Or is that boat?wink.png

Maybe they should just dig a big hole 10Km deep. That should do it.

jb1

The current govt is already digging itself into a hole...it's probably a couple Km deep already.

It's a pity 'The People' don't wake up and bury the Bastards in it up to their necks, then leave with the passing quip ' We leave you to await the floods that you say may recur' !

Of course if the floods aren't bad next season, she can take credit. Smart political move.

JT...am i wrong..where along the way did you change you political views? perhaps i'm misreading

I'm calling her handlers cynical schemers who hope to get lucky. Answer your question?

Ok, that's good. Now we have some sort of preemptive information policy. The biggest issue will be whether they are sincere about providing TIMELY information for businesses and individuals. When will this happen? How can we avoid a panic and work together to provide assistance to those in more flood prone zones. Also, the government needs to work with businesses to plan ahead for shortages of certain goods. I've seen piles of super-cheap water at Tesco. Maybe they should stockpile that stuff (water was expensive during the recent floods = water was profitable = it will be again [when in floods]) and devote a little less room for inventory in less profitable departments. These are tiny, tiny steps in the right direction. Do I think anyone has considered any of this? Ha, no need to answer that question...Thai society is about as flexible as a slab of granite...Bon Chance!!!

Don't get offended.....you used to be the voice of reason.....perhaps its a Saturday and I hoping....well....anyway...yeah.... politicians are bad bad..yada yada ....you've changed

If I thought her government was actually COMPETENT to deal with the flooding issue, I would have said so. Did I say that? No. Do you think they are thusly competent?

Ok, that's good. Now we have some sort of preemptive information policy. The biggest issue will be whether they are sincere about providing TIMELY information for businesses and individuals. When will this happen? How can we avoid a panic and work together to provide assistance to those in more flood prone zones. Also, the government needs to work with businesses to plan ahead for shortages of certain goods. I've seen piles of super-cheap water at Tesco. Maybe they should stockpile that stuff (water was expensive during the recent floods = water was profitable = it will be again [when in floods]) and devote a little less room for inventory in less profitable departments. These are tiny, tiny steps in the right direction. Do I think anyone has considered any of this? Ha, no need to answer that question...Thai society is about as flexible as a slab of granite...Bon Chance!!!

The lack of supply of certain goods was due to a combination of the loss of production in the flooded industrial estates along with a pretty much centralised distribution set up. The lessons should have been learnt from last year so as all their eggs are not in one basket so to speak. The bigger and long term problem will be that if those same industrial estates flood for a second year running I would be surprised if anyone considers reopenning a factory in them.

• Like 1

Don't get offended.....you used to be the voice of reason.....perhaps its a Saturday and I hoping....well....anyway...yeah.... politicians are bad bad..yada yada ....you've changed

If I thought her government was actually COMPETENT to deal with the flooding issue, I would have said so. Did I say that? No. Do you think they are thusly competent?

too easy to throw stones..especially as a non-Thai....leave that for the simple folks

ur better than that

too easy to throw stones..especially as a non-Thai....leave that for the simple folks

ur better than that

What a loaded post. What stones? I have an opinion and I have voiced it. What's your problem with that?

ur better than that

What a loaded post. What stones? I have an opinion and I have voiced it. What's your problem with that?

Name a competent gov't

help locals in flood-prone areas to adapt themselves to a new lifestyle, for example, by introducing them to jobs in water-related fields.

what floating markets, boat making and teaching swimming?

the lifestyle of a frog (I was 1 month under water)?

Possible lifestyle:

Submarine captain

Frog

Fish

Fisherman

Jet Boat Taxi Driver?

Whatever happened to those submarines, might come in useful! I expect the aircraft carrier could soon be based in Nakhon Sawan!

No submarines, as they might be used for a coup driving them downtown bangkok

Where is the date about flooding next year coming from? Is there some scientific basis for this? I know that long range forecasts are possible, but they are often far off the mark.

A lot of talk about something that might happen, without any indication of why they think it might happen.

I'm not sure there's any actual data, but simple observation of current river levels, dam levels, the unseasonal rainfall and the fact that some low lying areas are already flooding hints that we could have issues later.

In Ban Pathum the river is a good metre to a metre and a half above the normal level for this time of year.

Where is the date about flooding next year coming from? Is there some scientific basis for this? I know that long range forecasts are possible, but they are often far off the mark.

A lot of talk about something that might happen, without any indication of why they think it might happen.

Check again, the topic is

"PM concedes severe floods likely this year"

Still, this or next year, flooding is likely. Only discussion point would be 'normal', 'a lot', or 'severe'. now that's crystal ball science wink.png

Thanks, Rubl, I should have been more specific--I meant the next rainy season (as in starting this May or thereabouts).

I am wondering where they are getting their information on the upcoming rainy season and predicted storms.

Thanks, Rubl, I should have been more specific--I meant the next rainy season (as in starting this May or thereabouts).

I am wondering where they are getting their information on the upcoming rainy season and predicted storms.

Already thought that's what you meant, typos happen.

To answer your question (or at least give my vision on it), a recent post from the Metrological Department complained about their slow system. That probably means a forecast for more than a week is difficult, apart from using historical figures and expectations. That's where the crystal ball becomes a handy tool wink.png

PM to start 'flood trail' on Monday to follow up water management in provinces

BANGKOK, Feb 11 -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Saturday said that she would begin a 'flood trail' on Monday to follow up on water management plans and to make sure the residents in flood affected areas (from the North down to the capital) are well-informed of the situation, as well as progress related to flood recovery.

In her weekly TV programme on National Broadcasting Television (NBT) channel 11, the "Yingluck Government Meets the People," Ms Yingluck said that from Feb 13-17, she would visit upstream, midstream and downstream areas to review flood solving progress and go over the plan, budget, problems and solutions of projects implemented under the Flood Recovery and Restoration Committee and the Strategic Committee for Water Resources Management to help flood victims.

The upstream areas would include Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Sukhothai, Uttaradit, Tak, Nan, Prae, Lampang, Lamphun and Phayao; midstream are Phitsanulok, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thaini, Pichit, Kamphaeng Phet and Chai Nat, while downstream areas include Suphan Buri, Ayutthaya, Prachin Buri, Sing Buri, Ang Thong, Lop Buri, Saraburi, Nakhon Nayok, Nonthaburi, Samut Sakorn, Samut Prakarn, Chachoengsao, Nakhon Pathom, Pathum Thani and Bangkok.

During the visits, the premier would listen to first-hand information, problems and solutions from local offices and related parties. This will enhance understanding between policymaking and implementation levels and will result in concrete solutions. The premier will also visit projects in operating areas.

Ms Yingluck said the water volume in 2001 was 20 billion cubic metres and it was forecast that in 2012 there would be at least three storms leading to a similar high volume of water.

The upstream area could delay water by planting forests, building dykes and discharging water from dams to spare room for rainwater.

At the midstream area, she said, the government was looking for 2 million rai of land (800,000 acres) for water retention areas and the locations picked would have to minimize effects to communities while natural reservoirs would be improved to increase their capacity for water storage.

The premier said she would inspect the strength of the water sluice gates in Chai Nat and Nakhon Sawan and CCTV would be installed to drain water in accordance with the water discharged from dams.

Downstream, she said 48 canals in Bangkok would be dredged within three months to facilitate the drainage of water. Authorities would ensure that the Chao Phraya River was in good condition to drain water into the sea with no blockage.

Ms Yingluck said she was confident that a newly established agency - the National Water Resources and Flood Policy Committee chaired by herself - could manage water resources effectively and handle the flood problems better than the previous year. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-02-11

In four days she is going o visit 33 provinces and review all the work being done on flood control.

Has Thailand changed to a 72 hour day?

Sounds like a photo op tour to me.

While she is gone who has Thaksin got to run the country?

Maybe they should just dig a big hole 10Km deep. That should do it.

jb1

The current govt is already digging itself into a hole...it's probably a couple Km deep already.

Are they still considering the 100 mile tunnel ten kilometers down. That idea came from home grown Thai water management experts.

The water cheeks were a idea put forth by the King long ago and ignored by every government up until today when the public will no longer tolerate the governments casual attitude to floods.

Surely they have learned from last year and can avoid anything approaching the same scale reoccurring.

Incidentally, what happened to all the escaped crocs? Were they all caught? I only remember reading that 2 or 3 were caught...leaving around 100 out there still...breeding??

How about the green mambas