Explosions On Sukhumvit 71 Believed To Have Minimum Impact On Tourism Industry

webfact

Explosions on Sukhumvit 71 believed to have minimum impact on tourism industry

BANGKOK, 15 February 2012 (NNT)-Minister of Tourism and Sports Mr. Chumpol Silapa-archa said the explosions in Bangkok yesterday would have a psychological effect on the tourism industry in Thailand.

He said the revision of travel warnings against Thailand issued by the U.S. and the United Kingdom may divert foreign tourists from this country in the future. However, he said no advance bookings have been canceled so far. The number of tourists visiting Thailand since the beginning of this year has been recorded at 1.9 million, which indicates that the overall impact in the tourism sector is minimal.

Mr. Chumpol has instructed related authorities to clarify the situation to the global community and to provide proper protection measures for tourists in order to raise their confidence towards Thailand’s security system.

He added that he would wait for a while for security units to evaluate the situation, after which more measures would be issued to ensure tourists’ safety.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-02-15 footer_n.gif

Minister of Tourism and Sports Mr. Chumpol Silapa-archa said the explosions in Bangkok yesterday would have a psychological effect on the tourism industry in Thailand.

He said the revision of travel warnings against Thailand issued by the U.S. and the United Kingdom may divert foreign tourists from this country in the future. However, he said no advance bookings have been canceled so far.

Since when the Minister knows about thousands of the cancellations in da thousands of travel agencies countrywide? Does he counting himself? No. Does any of the travel agencies report the bookings/cancellations directly to TOT? No. Any reports from the thousands of local hotels? No. Then, how?

Liars.

Edited by alexakap
  • Like 1

The almighty tourist baht almost as important as tea money here in the LOS! Whether the Thai govt wants to admit it or not they dodged another bullet yesterday. For the sake of all of us Thailand does not need a Bali like incident. However, I think this country is a very soft target for somebody who knows what they're doing if so inclined.

• Like 2

Of course. It is as usual.

Nothing can drive away the tourist herds from Thailand.

Not tsunamis, not riots, not prostitution / trafficing, not corruption, and certainly not terrorist attacks.

Tell them to come to MBK, all tourists stayed away yesterday and today. As usual everything is always perfect in Thailand, Lies

BANGKOK, 15 February 2012 (NNT)-Minister of Tourism and Sports Mr. Chumpol Silapa-archa said the explosions in Bangkok yesterday would have a psychological effect on the tourism industry in Thailand.

Seems as if the understanding and indeed the idea of truth runs in the family. like father like son.

truth-small.jpg?w=477

• Like 1

Remain calm the Iranians were just celebrating a late Chinese New Years. Hope Thailand wakes the <snip> and realizes every denial equals loss of credibility. I am expecting to hear because of this PR nightmare tourism numbers will be at a record just because they say so.

Edited by metisdead
DIsguised profanity removed.

Minister of Tourism and Sports Mr. Chumpol Silapa-archa said the explosions in Bangkok yesterday would have a psychological effect on the tourism industry in Thailand.

He said the revision of travel warnings against Thailand issued by the U.S. and the United Kingdom may divert foreign tourists from this country in the future. However, he said no advance bookings have been canceled so far.

Since when the Minister knows about thousands of the cancellations in da thousands of travel agencies countrywide? Does he counting himself? No. Does any of the travel agencies report the bookings/cancellations directly to TOT? No. Any reports from the thousands of local hotels? No. Then, how?

Liars.

Please stop confusing TOT - they have enough trouble just providing decent internet service and phones........wai.gif

Perhaps you meant TAT?

• Like 2

minimum impact ? Thailand Tourism and government want "minimum" news coverage of these sort of events,They are good at "minimizing" major events.

I think you might want to rethink that. It seems that every time the wife turns a news channel on it comes up. That is Thai news. This afternoon they had one showing the pictures that they had and a interpreter doing it in English.

So now the Thai government is playing word games The Bombers were "assasins" not "terrorists". What they will do in this country to play down a major incident.

http://www.guardian....orists-official

Heck they don't even want to call the red shirt's terrorists. What's three people to stupid to even build the bombs to them. Perhaps if the Police stations and government buildings were the targets they would change there mind.

Hahahahahahahahaha! This statement was an inevitability. I love it. No wonder people believe in fortune telling in Thailand: if you watch people here for five minutes, you can figure out each and every step they'll take for the rest of their (respective) times. Deny, deflect, dissemble. Should be the Thai national motto. On the positive side, I love how you know that EVERY day at 12pm, ALL Thais will seek food. If you ever wanted to invade Thailand, I could tell you what time is most appropriate to launch said invasion.

Edited by Unkomoncents

So the bombs/grenades which exploded yesterday in Bangkok, had no impact on the 1.9 million tourist-arrivals in the previous several weeks, well give the Minister a coconut, for stating the obvious ! They came because there hadn't been any Iranian terrorist bombs exploding recently, didn't they. dry.png

But that the foreign-government travel-warnings now being put back on, by a rapidly-growing number of countries, "may divert foreign tourists from this country in the future", and "would have a psychological effect on the tourism industry in Thailand", that sounds more like it.

I predict that PM-Yingluck will shortly task Deputy-PM Chalerm, to do something or other about the situation, to be followed shortly-after by an announcement that tourist-arrivals for 2012 will be doubled, and the TAT will request another squillion Baht for promotional-activity, as usual.

But will the Iranians be content, to leave it at this, or are there already others here, looking forward to making their own contribution towards Thailand's tourist industry ... one can only hope not. unsure.png

And I believe FM-Surapong owes the US-government an apology, and a Humble-Pie lunch, for his recent attempts to dismiss the terrorist-threat of which they were warning. cool.png

One thing I think we can say: maybe Iranians shouldn't play with nuclear weapons. They seem to struggle with conventional ones, so it's logical to assume that they won't improve their skills (overnight) at a level enough to internationally-qualify at nuclear-level. As the husband of a half-Iranian woman, I think I can say that while she is wonderful and (of course) smart, I'm really not sure that the complete global restructuring of power is a good idea simply because Iran has a big gun...

Edited by Unkomoncents
  • Like 1

If tourist numbers can remain resilient and actually increase in times of a protracted red and yellow shirt debarcle, i am sure this blip/one day event will have minimal impact.

Except they didn't, unless you believe their lies.

Yep I call BS! My missus's job is directly effected and she said there were several chartered flights which included thousands of Japanese cancellations immediately yesterday for an upcoming Japanese holiday..

So, someone is fudging the numbers and it's certain, given how it effects us personally and directly it isn't my missus..

BTW I seem to recall one poster yesterday in one of the bombing related threads saying this exact claim would be made today, don't remember the posters nik but kudos to him..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Given the nature of the events in Georgia and India where we KNOW more precisely about the actual targets, clearly very limited to Israeli diplomats, and the clear linkage to the aborted attack in Thailand, I think unless different information comes out, then the international media is going to continue to report this as the same kind of thing. I don't believe many tourists, including Israeli backbackers are going to cancel plans because of a threat perceived to be limited to Israeli diplomats. Of course, in reality, that doesn't mean there isn't potential for more generalized attacks on western and/or Israeli tourists in Thailand, but the current narrative based on the incidents yesterday diffuses those kinds of fears. Perception and reality may not be the same thing, but people have to make booking plans based on something.

Edited by Jingthing

Liars.

Exactly

Edited by z12