Reliable Taser For Self-Defence. Where To Buy?

WhiteCadillac

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read from the UK press that the tasers issued to the police are safe due to high voltage and low amps, however the new breed of blackmarket ones are found to have high amps also (hope I got my volts and amps the right way round here) - the real worry is that such devices can easily kill and not just stun - don't know if anyone saw the article but the newer models look just like mobile phones, that in itself could be problematic I suppose if some p*sshead on a bender one night is carrying both and goes to answer the wrong one, game over!

correct about volts vs amps.

i haven't seen any tasers with projectiles wires, but ive seen stun guns. Better to get the kind with a removeable 9v battery. The ones with built in lithium batteries can only be thrown away once the battery is worn out.

Canadian police have killed 16 with tasers.

In one notorious case in Vancouver, the RCMP officers who tasered (4 times) and thus to death a confused and upset Polish visitor who spoke no English - without even trying any alternative intervention - were cleared of wrongdoing, of course. Three still work on the force and the one who does not is awaiting a different legal issue.

Regret that I cannot suggest a good place to buy a 'real' - non-toy - killing device such as a taser.

Edited by CMX

I read from the UK press that the tasers issued to the police are safe due to high voltage and low amps, however the new breed of blackmarket ones are found to have high amps also (hope I got my volts and amps the right way round here) - the real worry is that such devices can easily kill and not just stun - don't know if anyone saw the article but the newer models look just like mobile phones, that in itself could be problematic I suppose if some p*sshead on a bender one night is carrying both and goes to answer the wrong one, game over!

They are classed as firearms in the UK now and you can get up to a 10 years stretch for using one, 5 years just for having one on your possession.

They are classed as firearms in the UK now and you can get up to a 10 years stretch for using one, 5 years just for having one on your possession.

I'm sorry to say as a Brit, that certain areas of the UK, is one place I'd consider carrying one.mellow.png

• Like 1

I'm sorry to say as a Brit, that certain areas of the UK, is one place I'd consider carrying one.mellow.png

Agreed especially down south near the East London area tongue.png

I had the same problem here in my soi and had a friend pick up a cattle prod in the US. Six batteries and works well. Doesn't hurt the dog but gives them something to think about. One or two zaps and they don't bother us anymore.

Not sure if they are available here in Thailand but any country that has cattle will bound to have them in a feed store or the like.

• 7 months later...

A small plastic spray bottle with the hole slightly enlarged with a sewing needle (to make more of a stream than a mist,) and filled with a diluted mix of ammonia and water will do just as good a job, and can be claimed that the reason for carrying it was that you were doing your laundry and forgot it in your pocket. No charges of 'carrying a dangerous weapon with premeditation...' Non-lethal. Will work on dogs or people. Even on people too drugged out for a stun gun to put down. Just be sure to get the bottle that has the finger-shaped button so you spray in the correct direction.

• Like 1

Agreed especially down south near the East London area tongue.png

Well, either that or a pit bull.biggrin.png

There are so many pit bulls down there, your dog would have a great sex life, but you'd have no protection.......

Guess which one of you would be <deleted>'d worse??? whistling.gif

Edited by Rob8891

A small plastic spray bottle with the hole slightly enlarged with a sewing needle (to make more of a stream than a mist,) and filled with a diluted mix of ammonia and water will do just as good a job, and can be claimed that the reason for carrying it was that you were doing your laundry and forgot it in your pocket. No charges of 'carrying a dangerous weapon with premeditation...' Non-lethal. Will work on dogs or people. Even on people too drugged out for a stun gun to put down. Just be sure to get the bottle that has the finger-shaped button so you spray in the correct direction.

How can you forget something like this in your pocket? blink.png

post-49205-0-28107900-1349661704_thumb.j

• Like 1

How much is safe amount of amps/volts?

Anything upwards of 15 amps is potentially lethal, I reckon.

15A?! Yes, if you want your assailant to end up like a slice of crispy bacon.

"Electrocution" occurs at only a few mA, that's why a good RCCB is rated at about 5-10mA...

Tasers are typically in the low single digit mA range, 2 - 4mA.

Would get in the way of my Canoe !

You must have rather large pockets to even consider putting something like that into it in the first place!

I guess the difference is in our definition of the word 'small.' Perhaps I should have been more specific for the needy...

You can purchase lipstick-size refillable plastic bottles with pump tops in the travel section of most department stores or in airport shops. People used them for perfume, mouth freshener, eye-glass cleaner, or, in this case, spot cleaning of laundry items. Chiang Mai Plastic sells a huge variety of styles and colors, to say nothing of size. Pocket sized to match your pockets, right?