Malaysia Arrests Iranian Over Thai Blasts: Police

webfact

Malaysia arrests Iranian over Thai blasts: Police

KUALA LUMPUR, February 16, 2012 (AFP) - Malaysian authorities on Wednesday arrested an Iranian suspected in an alleged bomb plot against Israeli diplomats in Thailand, Malaysia's police chief said.

The Iranian was among three suspects in the bombings that rattled the Thai capital Bangkok on Tuesday and have piled pressure on Tehran amid accusations of a terror campaign against the Jewish state.

A statement released by Malaysian police chief Ismail Omar late Wednesday said authorities arrested the suspect in the capital Kuala Lumpur at 3:30 pm (0730 GMT).

"The Iranian was arrested under the Immigration Act of Malaysia out of intelligence provided by Thai counterparts," the statement said.

"He is being investigated for terrorism activities in relation to bombings in Thailand."

The statement gave no further details, such as the suspect's name.

Malaysian police spokesman Ramli Yoosuf told AFP that Thai authorities had been informed of the arrest but he was as yet unaware of any Thai request for the suspect's extradition.

"I don't know how long the investigations will take," he said.

Tensions between Middle East arch-foes Iran and Israel have risen sharply following three bomb incidents in world capitals in less than 24 hours, but Iran has angrily rejected accusations that it was to blame.

On Monday, bombers targeted Israeli embassy staff in India and Georgia before escaping.

In Bangkok, two Iranians were detained over three blasts that occurred Tuesday. They were charged with causing an illegal explosion and other offences, Thai Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said.

"We cannot say yet if it's a terrorist act," he told reporters, "but it's similar to the assassination attempt against a diplomat in India."

One of the men -- named as 28-year-old Saeid Morati -- had his legs blown off as he hurled an explosive device at Thai police while fleeing an earlier, apparently unintended, blast at a house in the Thai capital, officials said.

He was unconscious but in a stable condition, according to the Bangkok hospital where he was treated.

A second Iranian suspect was detained trying to board a flight out of the country while the third had fled to Malaysia, they said.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-02-16

BOMBER SUSPECT

Third Iranian suspect arrested and detained in Malaysia

Marisa Chimprabha

30175952-01_big.jpg

Malaysia on Wednesday detained an Iranian man suspected of involving in the series of bomb attacks in Bangkok's Klongtan district on Tuesday, a senior Thai security official said.

The arrest of Masoud Sedaghatzadeh was made about 3pm in Kuala Lumpur following the Thai side giving information and identity of the suspect.

The suspect was scheduled to board a flight from the Malaysian capital to Tehran, capital of Iran today. He initially booked a flight to leave for Tehran on February 25.

The three bomb attacks hit Klongtan, causing panic in the capital and leaving five bystanders injured.

At first the Thai side could not identify the suspect, allowing him to slip through Thai immigration on Tuesday and leave for Malaysia

Earlier Deputy police chief Pol Gen Pansiri Prapawat said Sedaghatzadeh, left Bangkok for Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday afternoon.

He was one of the four Iranian police linked to the explosions. The fourth Iranian still unaccounted for was a female Iranian who rented the house for the suspects.

The two others Iranians allegedly involved in the blasts are in police custody. One of them, Saeid Moradi, was badly injured after an explosive he intended to throw at police accidentally fell to the ground, while Mohammad Hazaei was later arrested at Suvarnabhumi Airport as he reportedly tried to escape to Malaysia.

The three rented a house in Soi Pridi Panomyong in the district about a month ago.

A police search of the house uncovered a number of electronic devices that could be used to make explosives.

It is currently believed that the three tried to flee from the rented house after the first bomb exploded inside. Sedaghatzadeh and Hazaei managed to flee but Moradi could not after a taxi refused to pick him up. He threw an explosive at the taxi and later at police.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-16

It's likely that Israeli and/or US authorities put pressure on Thai authorities to notify the Malaysians at KL airport. Somehow, I can't picture any Thai authority having the alacrity and taking the initiative to making that call on his own. If so, great. Yet, from observations of Thai officialdom over a quarter century, I've seen them move at glacial pace, if they move at all.

One of hundreds of examples: when I went to report a motorbike stolen, the cop who took the report, typed with two fingers, and it took him an hour and a half to type some words on the report. Then, an hour after that, he mentioned that stolen motorbikes (from our northern town) were nearly always taken over the Burmese border. The border crossing was one hour distant from us, but it didn't occur to any of the cops to issue a warning, forthwith, to border guards to be on the look-out for the stolen bike.

Another example: When authorities at Hawaii's Earthquake Center wanted to inform Thai authorities of the impending tsunami from the big earthquake of a few years ago, who do they call? They probably tried calling Thai authorities, but either got a disfunctional #, a number which didn't pick up, or a person answering who didn't have a clue what the caller was calling about, and didn't try to understand, and likely hung up right away, thinking 'another farang ba'.

• Like 1

Irrespective of the hows and why's I think the fact that 3 of the 4 have been detained (okay 1 blew of his legs which made running away impossible) in such a short space of time is a very commendable effort. I'm sure the US and Israelis won't mind covertly greasing a few palms for a few hours intelligence gathering with the suspects.

• Like 1

It's likely that Israeli and/or US authorities put pressure on Thai authorities to notify the Malaysians at KL airport. Somehow, I can't picture any Thai authority having the alacrity and taking the initiative to making that call on his own. If so, great. Yet, from observations of Thai officialdom over a quarter century, I've seen them move at glacial pace, if they move at all.

One of hundreds of examples: when I went to report a motorbike stolen, the cop who took the report, typed with two fingers, and it took him an hour and a half to type some words on the report. Then, an hour after that, he mentioned that stolen motorbikes (from our northern town) were nearly always taken over the Burmese border. The border crossing was one hour distant from us, but it didn't occur to any of the cops to issue a warning, forthwith, to border guards to be on the look-out for the stolen bike.

Another example: When authorities at Hawaii's Earthquake Center wanted to inform Thai authorities of the impending tsunami from the big earthquake of a few years ago, who do they call? They probably tried calling Thai authorities, but either got a disfunctional #, a number which didn't pick up, or a person answering who didn't have a clue what the caller was calling about, and didn't try to understand, and likely hung up right away, thinking 'another farang ba'.

I agree completely!, Both of the examples you have given are excellent and closely related to the recent bombings. I am especially impressed with the anecdote regarding the tsunami. It is so spot on, that if it didn't actually happen the way you tell it, it should have, it should have!

I bet among family and friends you have a reputation as something of a raconteur whose true to life, yet poignant and perceptive tales have kept your loved ones raptly entertained. Don't stop here! Please make up some more almost-true-to-life anecdotes regarding Thai incompetence, i could use a chuckle, and you seem to be just the fellow to provide it.

Your fancy words and rhetoric do not make you sound as smart as I'm sure you think you aremellow.png

this may be true, but im wearing red pants.

This is tiresome in the least and not related to this topic whatsoever.

Just don't go there.

Thai police step up security, Malaysian police arrest 3rd Iranian linked to Bangkok blasts

image_20120216093614840463AD-9449-9B9B-48FA6C2EC0D235D4.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 16 -- Thai police have stepped up security measures at tourist destinations popular among foreign visitors, and held press conference this morning after Malaysian police arrested a third Iranian suspect linked to the three explosions in Bangkok on Tuesday.

Pol Maj Gen Wichai Sangprapai, acting commander of Bangkok’s Metropolitan Police Bureau, urged the Thai public not to panic as there was no intelligence report indicating any terrorist attack in Thailand.

Police stations in the Thai capital were ordered to boost security, particularly in areas popular among foreign tourists, he said, asking the public to inform police immediately of any irregularities.

At Khao San Road, a major tourist centre, police have set up checkpoints from 8pm-6am. Tourists crowded the street as usual despite the three blasts that alarmed the capital on Tuesday.

Interviewed by international media, some foreign visitors expressed confidence in the security measures provided by the police.

The police investigation team's news briefing at Khlong Ton police station was giving more details after Malaysia reported arresting a third suspect in the bombings, an Iranian national. The Thai National Police Bureau asked the Malaysian police to bring him to face charges in Thailand.

The French news agency Agence France-Presse (AFP) quoted Malaysian police chief Ismail Omar as saying in a statement on Wednesday that "The Iranian was arrested under the Immigration Act of Malaysia (using) intelligence provided by Thai counterparts. He is being investigated for terrorism activities in relation to bombings in Thailand."

The statement gave no further details, such as the suspect's name but the Thai authorities identified him as Masoud Sedaghatzadeh.

China’s Xinhua news agency quoted the Malaysian newspaper The Star as reporting that the 31-year-old suspect was nabbed at a budget airline terminal near Kuala Lumpur on Wednesday as he was about to board a flight to Iran.

The Thai authorities are holding two Iranian suspects earlier in police custody -- Saeid Moradi who lost his leg from his own bomb – and another suspect, Mohammad Hazaei, who was taken into custody at Suvarnabhumi Airport on Tuesday while attempting to board a plane to Malaysia.

They were not yet charged with terrorism but criminal charges including possession of explosives, attempted murder, attempted murder and causing explosions damaging property.

The fourth suspect, a woman who rented the house where the first bomb was exploded, apparently by accident, is still at large. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-02-16

Pol Maj Gen Wichai Sangprapai, acting commander of Bangkok’s Metropolitan Police Bureau, urged the Thai public not to panic as there was no intelligence report indicating any terrorist attack in Thailand.

Well, at least they got the part right about there being "no intelligence" there.... Well put....

After all, these Iranian guys weren't "terrorists"... They were just politically motivated foreigners armed with C4 based bombs who apparently intended to use them to kill Iraeli diplomats in Thailand (and anyone else who happened to be nearby at the time) via car bombs.

Maybe the Thais need to consult with the Malaysians... who had the audacity to say... "He is being investigated for terrorism activities in relation to bombings in Thailand."

Of course, the Malaysians don't operate under the same edict as Thai authorities to never utter the "T" work in regards to Thailand. Though the "T" word in Thailand has its own separate and entirely different meaning.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

Irrespective of the hows and why's I think the fact that 3 of the 4 have been detained (okay 1 blew of his legs which made running away impossible) in such a short space of time is a very commendable effort. I'm sure the US and Israelis won't mind covertly greasing a few palms for a few hours intelligence gathering with the suspects.

I must be missing something here and welcome explanations but I don't see any commendable effort here, Firstly the only reason as i read it the iranians in BKK got noticed was that they had a premature detonation at their house, fleeing the scene they decided to make themselves more noticed and started to hurl bombs around... one of them flees to airport and gets arrested other donated his legs to street sweeper.... what have Thai authorities done that was commendable in terms of actually true investigation and intelligence activities.

Of course what is commendable of course is the immediate cover your backside commentary from government that this is not terror related.... which all seems to be contradicted by todays newspaper headlines.

• Like 1

"He is being investigated for terrorism activities in relation to bombings in Thailand."

The Thai authorities are still in denial about the nature of the (intended) attacks. "No terrorism"

The Malaysians at least are calling "a spade a spade". I wonder if he'll be extradited to Thailand for suspected terrorism, or just knucklehead having a quarrel with his friend charges, as was described by Thai authorities.

At Khao San Road, a major tourist centre, police have set up checkpoints from 8pm-6am...

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-02-16

Asif: Right, so where are we meeting again?

Iktar: Umm, Khao San Road, where it's really busy with lot's of Farang...

Asif: Ok, sounds good. What time shall we meet?

Iktar: Well, I've heard down the grape-vine that the police have setup checkpoints there... so...

Asif: HOLD ON!! Why are we going there if the police have setup checkpoints? Are you CRAZY?

Iktar: Calm down Asif... These aren't 'normal checkpoints' as you would expect, no, no. These are 'pathetic Thai checkpoints' which open at 8pm, so I figure we'll just nip in at 7:30, have a couple of beers then get busy...

Asif: Oh, OK.

Iktar: And Asif... if for some reason you are late, just slip the cop 100 baht and he will let you in without checking your bag...

Asif: I love this place... it's such an <deleted>&*ing easy target...

Really smart move publicising the times....

Edited by Darbar
  • Like 1

Im still wondering how the police showed up instantly after the first bomb blast at the house - in time for the suspect to throw a bomb at the incoming police officer.

There's something fishy about this whole story, especially with the Iranian nuclear reactor making headlines these days. Wouldn't surprise me if this whole thing was a plot by the US government to discredit Iran, by utilizing a third neutral nation such as Thailand to implement credibility in the fabrication of a perceived threat.

Besides, who would have witnessed the injured suspect drop the bomb? After the first bomb everyone's taking cover. Sounds more like the bomb was thrown at him instead.

Yeah lets try and figure a way to blame America for it? Give me a break.

I agree completely!, Both of the examples you have given are excellent and closely related to the recent bombings. I am especially impressed with the anecdote regarding the tsunami. It is so spot on, that if it didn't actually happen the way you tell it, it should have, it should have!

I bet among family and friends you have a reputation as something of a raconteur whose true to life, yet poignant and perceptive tales have kept your loved ones raptly entertained. Don't stop here! Please make up some more almost-true-to-life anecdotes regarding Thai incompetence, i could use a chuckle, and you seem to be just the fellow to provide it.

Hillarious.....love it.....but watch out, a sense of humor is a dangerous thing on this forum!!

there have been numerous accounts of the thais not answering and in one case at le.ast when info was obtained and it was emphasized that it was extremely important it was not passed on the tsunami victims could have had at least a full 45 mins to get to higher ground ..obviously language difficulties r a problem but attitude also comes into it ..too many thais dont give a tinkers especially anything farang related .

OK......so now that the 4 "suspects" have been identified as Iranians, do y'all reckon Iran will continue to "angrily reject accusations that it is to blame?" violin.gif

Tehran does everything angrily last time I checked, so no surprise that they angrily rejected accusations.

It would be a refreshing moment if one day they could just calmly reject accusations, and save them the bother of looking like numpties

I sure hope this guy wasn't working in Thailand without a work permit or overstaying his tourist visa.... Because then he'd be in REAL trouble with the Thai authorities... hit-the-fan.gif

I don't know? Is bomb manufacturing considered "working without a permit"? I guess in the context of the law they could throw that one at him too..

Anyway however word got out and he was arrested good to see a successful International effort in arresting these scumbags in such a timely manner..

Edited by WarpSpeed

OK......so now that the 4 "suspects" have been identified as Iranians, do y'all reckon Iran will continue to "angrily reject accusations that it is to blame?" violin.gif

Ah but they are False Iranians.

Misguided maybe??? and don't forget incorrigible but NOT terrorists or Iranian assassins sent by the government..

Im still wondering how the police showed up instantly after the first bomb blast at the house - in time for the suspect to throw a bomb at the incoming police officer.

There's something fishy about this whole story, especially with the Iranian nuclear reactor making headlines these days. Wouldn't surprise me if this whole thing was a plot by the US government to discredit Iran, by utilizing a third neutral nation such as Thailand to implement credibility in the fabrication of a perceived threat.

Besides, who would have witnessed the injured suspect drop the bomb? After the first bomb everyone's taking cover. Sounds more like the bomb was thrown at him instead.

Yeah lets try and figure a way to blame America for it? Give me a break.

There are many ways that one could direct blame towards America , but alluding to a flase flag attack doesn't hold much water.

The police came running from the police box around the corner after hearing the blast, thats how they got there so fast.

In this context Thailand can hardly claim to be neutral, ever heard of Cobra Gold?

Overall it does seem a group of Iranians , government sposored or not, have targeted and attacked Israeli diplomats. Some more succesfully than others!

I guess in time we'll find out if they were government sponsored and which government was involved.