Biking In Nan

abhaya

Hi, I am planning a small trip up around Nan and Phrae starting in Dansai, Loei. I would like to follow the Lao border as close as possible going through Ban Khok, Mae Charim, Bo Kleua as far north as Chaloem Prakiat and loop back down through Chiang Klang going to the city of Nan. Are there any places to stay in any of these smaller towns? Are there any hellish steep dirt tracks that look OK on the map I should avoid? I'll be on a Honda Dream 125 and am in no hurry. I figure Nan town to Phrae can be done in a day or am I being overly optimistic? Any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Just go and have a good time. You can always find someplace to stay. Most of the washouts from last years rains have been repaired by now. Advice?...just go.

Good advice.

You'll find a bed each night. Signs might be in Thai so I usually look for for numbers like 350 - either a room or a bl$%dy expensive buffet...(massage?).

Nan to Phrae is quite doable regardless of road condition. Have a good rest the night before and plan a rub down on arrival. Think it's only like 100k's but stay alert.

Have a ball and let us know how it goes.

Just go and have a good time. You can always find someplace to stay. Most of the washouts from last years rains have been repaired by now. Advice?...just go.

+1!

Nan is absolutely FANTASTIC- you really can't go wrong. It's like the roads were paved by Angels! clap2.gif

IMG_0320.jpg

I'm constantly amazed at the quality of the roads in such far off places as Nan- you can ride for miles and miles without seeing another vehicle, yet they are spending mad money building these stunning roads that lead to nowhere in particular. Here's an oldie but goodie of Nan's fantastic 1081!

• Like 1

I believe this is that same stretch of road coming from the opposite direction.

Nan%2520Trip%2520%2520022.jpg

Ha! I do believe you are correct!

NICE camera mate!

I travel light and only carry an iPhone 4 for pics and it definitely doesn't compare to whatever camera you are using- beautiful colors and clarity!

Man, now I'm jonesing for another Nan fix! :D

Ride On!

Tony

I started a thread on the very area you are thinking about... It's dropped to page 2

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/533014-a-trip-to-nan-and-beyond/

There is still a lot of construction but only for short sections. LIke others have said... it's great place for a ride. I also wondered why so much construction in an area that doesn't see much traffic. The city of Nan also seemed over built for the amount of traffic.

I started a thread on the very area you are thinking about... It's dropped to page 2

http://www.thaivisa....nan-and-beyond/

There is still a lot of construction but only for short sections. LIke others have said... it's great place for a ride. I also wondered why so much construction in an area that doesn't see much traffic. The city of Nan also seemed over built for the amount of traffic.

Someone hypothesized that Thailand is building these amazing roads in the northern border provinces for strategic / military reasons. I have no idea if that's true, but Nan isn't the only province where they're doing this. They are slowly transforming the 105 between Mae Sariang and Mae Sot into a 1081-like racetrack of a road too-

May7Versys105bSSR.jpg

Route105MaeSariangMaeSotMap.jpg

Someone hypothesized that Thailand is building these amazing roads in the northern border provinces for strategic / military reasons. I have no idea if that's true, but Nan isn't the only province where they're doing this. They are slowly transforming the 105 between Mae Sariang and Mae Sot into a 1081-like racetrack of a road too-

I also heard the same thing, but it sure benefits us bike riders. I'm heading back to the Mae Sariang area next tuesday or wednesday. We are taking a few new guys on the circle route up to Mae Hong Son and over to Pai, then back to Chiang Mai.

I also heard the same thing, but it sure benefits us bike riders. I'm heading back to the Mae Sariang area next tuesday or wednesday. We are taking a few new guys on the circle route up to Mae Hong Son and over to Pai, then back to Chiang Mai.

I'm envious- Have FUN! :D

The locals out there (nan) claim it was the Queen & princess #1 who commissioned the work after hearing from the locals how dangerous it has been for them.

Edited by flying

I believe this is that same stretch of road coming from the opposite direction.

Nan%2520Trip%2520%2520022.jpg

Ha! I do believe you are correct!

NICE camera mate!

I travel light and only carry an iPhone 4 for pics and it definitely doesn't compare to whatever camera you are using- beautiful colors and clarity!

Man, now I'm jonesing for another Nan fix! biggrin.png

Ride On!

Tony

I travel light too. I use a pocket camera, Canon S90. I believe they are up to model S100 now but I am happy with this one. You can shoot in RAW or jpeg but the real magic comes in Aperture.wink.png

• 3 weeks later...

There are good trip reports on GT-Rider.com Accommodation? www.gt-rider.com/thailand-motorcycle-forum/showthread.php/32989-Nan-Accommodation?p=270980&posted=1#post270980 I like Amazing Guesthouse near the airport.

You can ride from Phrae to Nan - a nice curvy road. Just take a few breaks.