Mental Patients In Thailand To Be Released From Chains

webfact

Mental Patients to Be Released from Chains

post-327-0-27191300-1329445859_thumb.jpe

Picture from the Public Relations Dept

(click to enlarge)

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Ministry has put together a campaign aimed at providing official medical help and rehabilitate mental patients who've been kept in chains and restraints across Thailand.

Families of mental patients say they keep them chained up to prevent the patients from hurting others and themselves.

According to the Department of Mental Health's survey, conducted 4 years ago, less than one percent or 400,000 Thais aged between 15-59 years are suffering from various type of psychotic disorders. The most common type of mental illness suffered by 70 percent of Thais with a mental disorder is Schizophrenia.

Schizophrenia patients often require long-term treatment, while nearly 40 percent of the patients will never recover fully from the disorder. These patients will require to take medications for at least 2 - 5 years. If the condition returns for the third time, the patient will require to be medicated for life.

In the majority of cases, patients would discontinue to take the medications since they believe they are not ill.

The Public Health Ministry admitted there are a large number of mental patients who do not have access to proper medical help. They are often kept in chains or other type of restraints by their relatives. No official number of these patients have been released but the ministry estimates there could be as many as 1,000 patients who are being chained up.

The ministry say families of mental patients who have not been able to seek proper medical attention for them restrain the patients to prevent them from hurting themselves, destroying private and public property or hurting others.

Under the ministry's new campaign, to be launched on March 1, 2012, proper medical help will be provided to these patients. It hopes to be able to treat and rehabilitate all of the patients by the end of 2012. At the cost of Bt20,000/patient, the ministry forecast it'll need a budget of approximately 15 million baht.

Psychiatric illness is already currently being covered by the state sponsored free universal health care program.

The Department of Mental Health hopes to carry out the campaign in three phases:

First Phase (March, 2012): Locate patients who are being kept in chains/restraints

Second Phrase (April-June): Provide treatment

Third Phrase: Rehabilitate patients, educate community about mental disorders to prevent patients from being kept in restraints in the future.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-02-17

footer_n.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A program doomed to fail. There are not enough mental health professionals in the country to provide even rudimentary care.

It is wrong to chain patients, but I fear the outcome may be much much worse if the patients are unshackled and left unsupervised.

Damned if you and damned if you don't.

• Like 2

A program doomed to fail. There are not enough mental health professionals in the country to provide even rudimentary care.

It is wrong to chain patients, but I fear the outcome may be much much worse if the patients are unshackled and left unsupervised.

In the Uk they don't just release them from chains, but from detention altogether in a move given the wonderful moniker 'Care in the community'. Only the other year a passenger was pushed to his death in front of a train by a loon so released.

• Like 1

Possibly in reference to "House Battle Breaks Out" the Public Health Ministry explained this move by saying it only seemed fair as politicians were already let off the leash and allowed to roam freely whistling.gif

Edited by rubl
  • Like 1

eSorry to be picky, but people have mental health issues and labelling them 'mental patients' doesn't really help.

Chains!!! what a terrible thing to do to anyone but the positive is they are looking to stop it.

Mental health is such dificult topic, ridiculously people ridicule it, Why? apart from them being abso stupid and generally ignorant , theres big

issues about it being something society and us as individuals really dont cant understand , so it's easier to joke about it than deal with it.

A Big up to the authorities for their efforts to move on and improve things lets hope they succeed.

• Like 1

Many people who should be receiving mental care in the US are now homeless.

I read some statistics some time ago that a fairly large number of homeless do have psychological problems. The question is, are they homeless due to mental illness or have a mental illness due to being homeless?

• Like 1

Chains? What century is this? Surely any Thai national deseres better.

Is the western version of being kept in strait-jacket in a padded cell any better?

Read the article again dont just twist it into a racial issue, if you have racial issue's perhaps you need to talk to someone about them.

and yes the stuctured use of a straight jacket, and a padded cell would be far preferably to chains

and can i add that straight jackets, these days, in the UK, i wouldn't say never used, but are v v seldom used.

• Like 1

The asylums in the US were pretty much emptied a few decades ago. The Right wanted to cut costs and the Left wanted the patients to be "returned to the community". Many people who should be receiving mental care in the US are now homeless.

Virtually the same scenario in the uk.

Many people who should be receiving mental care in the US are now homeless.

I read some statistics some time ago that a fairly large number of homeless do have psychological problems. The question is, are they homeless due to mental illness or have a mental illness due to being homeless?

It'sthe chicken and egg argument, which came first?. Perhaps you know

This is the 21st century and this 5th world country is still employing primitive practices that developed countries abandoned way more than a 100 years ago.

God Save Us

Is the western version of being kept in strait-jacket in a padded cell any better?

Read the article again dont just twist it into a racial issue, if you have racial issue's perhaps you need to talk to someone about them.

and yes the stuctured use of a straight jacket, and a padded cell would be far preferably to chains

and can i add that straight jackets, these days, in the UK, i wouldn't say never used, but are v v seldom used.

Straight jackets are worse, you cant scratch your ass and go even crazier.

First Phase (March, 2012): Locate patients who are being kept in chains/restraints

Third Phrase: Rehabilitate patients, educate community about mental disorders to prevent patients from being kept in restraints in the future.

I've got a relative in my family, who'd tried to commit suicide two times. He's sometimes in "See Maha Poo" (mental hospital), sometimes in the village.

They've tried strange electro shock therapies, the medication always sucks.How can you rehabilitate mentally sick patients?

You can only try the right medication and this could go on for years to find the right solution.( In this country) It's like the tablets for little kids.First Phase: Buy some shitty shitty stuff.

Second PHRASE: Forgive them, because they don't know what they do.

Third PHRASE: Only two things are endless. Human stupidity and the universe. Not sure about the universe. (Albert E.)

Here's a link about EST in English and Thai.......

http://med5ubu.forumth.com/t13-topic jap.gif

Edited by sirchai

Straight jackets are worse, you cant scratch your ass and go even crazier.

Yes but you can still lick the windows

• Like 1

I went to a similar situation (home-house rehab) in Penang (Malaysia) yesterday and they tie the patients with ropes to the walls.

It seems to be one way although very inhumane to forcefully control those who the governments seems to wish to forget about.

I've got a relative in my family, who'd tried to commit suicide two times. He's sometimes in "See Maha Poo" (mental hospital), sometimes in the village.

They've tried strange electro shock therapies, the medication always sucks.How can you rehabilitate mentally sick patients?

You can only try the right medication and this could go on for years to find the right solution.( In this country) It's like the tablets for little kids.First Phase: Buy some shitty shitty stuff.

Second PHRASE: Forgive them, because they don't know what they do.

Third PHRASE: Only two things are endless. Human stupidity and the universe. Not sure about the universe. (Albert E.)

Here's a link about EST in English and Thai.......

http://med5ubu.forumth.com/t13-topic is

even in the supposedly advanced countries the methods of dealing with mental health issues can be almost seemingly random . and almost experimental. no easy answer i'm afraid .

Typical of many Thai Visa posters, trivialising a very serious problem. I'll bet all of you wha think this subject is funny, good for a laugh, taunt or joke, would not have such a smirk on your face if it were a relative or close friend that suffered from such a condition.

Typical of many Thai Visa posters, trivialising a very serious problem..

To be honest, it was more the word PHRASES that changed it all. Here's it again:

:First Phase (March, 2012): Locate patients who are being kept in chains/restraints

We do suffer with my wife's brother's mental health, as the whole family does.

I drove him a few thousand km's around, looking for help,I always bring him to a mental hospital for treatment. I check the medication on-line

if it's any good for him. Being in touch with my niece, who's a doctor, to help him. I help him financially, as the family is poor.

Would I cry and whine every day, it wouldn't change the situation, would it?

Seems to me that you don't understand any humor. Can't change this country, roughly said, trying to live in and with it. Sorry, never wanted to hurt anybody's feelings. jap.gif

Edited by sirchai