New Yamaha Nouvo Injected

inzman

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering if Yamaha, which has introduced now the Fiore and Filano (sp?) Fi models, is waiting to see the price of the PCX 150 before they launch some alternative form (Fi, greater cc's?) of their Elegance - with its price appropriate to the situation.

In either case, an increase of HP and torque (whenever we find out) is all that interests me.

I'm wondering if Yamaha, which has introduced now the Fiore and Filano (sp?) Fi models, is waiting to see the price of the PCX 150 before they launch some alternative form (Fi, greater cc's?) of their Elegance - with its price appropriate to the situation.

In either case, an increase of HP and torque (whenever we find out) is all that interests me.

I would expect the engine to be more or less the same as what's already in the spark (a Yamaha 135i engine) Sure it's going to have to burn cleaner than the older spark but i would expect power levels to be pretty similar, i just wish there was a reliable figure for both the Spark 135i and the carbed 135 Elegance

I would expect the engine to be more or less the same as what's already in the spark (a Yamaha 135i engine) Sure it's going to have to burn cleaner than the older spark but i would expect power levels to be pretty similar, i just wish there was a reliable figure for both the Spark 135i and the carbed 135 Elegance

I am starting to think like you. For awhile I was starting to feel the Honda PCX would be forcing Yamaha to come up with something that is roughly similar in order to keep up with it. it's seemed there's an awful lot of PCX's out there. In this forum I started to talk up the X-Max which Yamaha has b een offering in other markets for years. It's a 125 and even heavier than the PCX..quite a bit heavier in fact so I have suggested that Yamaha must do something to match the PCX. But recently I've been having some discussions with Ross who loves his Elegance that he's had for four years. Ross has said.."Are you crazy to be suggesting there's getting to be more PCX's than Nouvo Elegance's?" Anway, it does seem most of my American friends prefer the Elegances. I live up here in Naklua (Little Germany) and perhaps Germans like the PCX's a little more than say Americans and British. Ross lives in Central Pattaya. But lately despite all the initial excitement the PCX has brought on, it seems I am seeing more and more new Nouvo Elegances.

And from what I've seen very few Thai guys seem to like the PCX. Yamaha sells overall a lot fewer bikes than Honda. So.......to stay successful with the Elegance what market share does it need really? The price gap between the two that started at something like 15,000 baht is now more like 30,000 baht. That is huge. Staying at 135 c'cs might prove to be a real winner. The fuel injection CAN make the Elegance a little more fuel efficient. And it can make it a little faster. Keep the price down and you are going to get a certain amount of THai guys interested. Boost the fuel economy up a little (the Elegance is already pretty fuel efficient) and you are going to get even more of them interested. And from what I'm seeing no matter how good in so many respects the PCX might be a lot of Western guys will go for the smaller more agile Elegance and just by adding fuel injection you are going to get a lot more.

• 2 weeks later...

Little bits of new info are starting to appear about the new upcoming fuel injected Elegance. Here's one of them...re the Yamaha Mio. There was another link to a page I found last night about this system being used in the Elegance that mentioned a great improvement in fuel economy but then intimated there would be more to it than just fuel economy. BUt there was nothing more, just a mention "stay tuned and we will let you know more about this new technology. Yamaha is claiming a whopping 30 % improvement in fuel economy for the Mio fuel injected bike compared to its carburated version. Well..we will see.www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/news/2012/0201/mio.html

Here is a bit more detail on the system http://bestmodifikasimotor.bestbikez.com/2012/01/2012-yamaha-mio-injeksi-specs-and.html

Yamaha is claiming a whopping 30 % improvement in fuel economy for the Mio fuel injected bike compared to its carburated version.

Honda claimed that 30% more efficient for their new click 125cc as well ,i know people who have it and they think that claim is a load of rubbish

injection saves maybe 5% -10% in ideal conditions,30% is more marketing spin than anything else

Yamaha is claiming a whopping 30 % improvement in fuel economy for the Mio fuel injected bike compared to its carburated version.

Honda claimed that 30% more efficient for their new click 125cc as well ,i know people who have it and they think that claim is a load of rubbish

injection saves maybe 5% -10% in ideal conditions,30% is more marketing spin than anything else

I agree with that which is why I stated, "Well we will see about that."

Yamaha-Nouvo-SX-125-photos-5.jpgLooks like the new fuel injected Yamaha Elegance will lose a little engine size as what I am seeing now is 125 cc's, not 135 bikerist.com/yamaha-nouvo-sx-125-details-and-features-at-vietnam/

the new seat looks like a more padded construction than the old one

but im not impressed by dropping it to 125cc ,even with fuel injection it seems like a downgrade

especially if the new price is higher for a smaller engine

it does have improved looks though

look forward to seeing the thailand spec in english

the elegance puts out around 11.2 hp if i remember correctly

the spark is even faster but its much less robust and sturdy and lighter ,no surprise its quicker

sit on one and you will feel the differnce ,its like a sonic

Still looking for new info on the upcoming Nouvo SX Fuel injected model and I'm coming up with this. All this info is out of Vietnam.. Nothing and I mean nada out of Thailand. And I'm seeing such things as "this model is being released for the Vietnam market". So, although it might make sense for Yamaha to standardize on just one model for the world market, a lot of companies do not do this. For example...the 250 Ninja for the American market at least used to be with a detuned engine compared to what is being offered elsewhere. And as far as Vietnam is concerned two years ago I noticed a Honda 150 automatic. It was not the PCX. that model was and still is I believe being sold in the U.S. as well as in Vietnam but not in Thailand. There are other bikes being sold in Vietnam you will never see here so these are two different markets. It could well be Thailand will retain the 135 engine in a modified form such as Vietnam apparently is producing.

I will bring up the Yamaha XMAX again. http://www.4-traders.com/YAMAHA-MOTOR-6491538/news/YAMAHA-MOTOR-Release-of-the-new-NOUVO-SX-flagship-AT-commuter-model-manufactured-in-Vietnam-for-the--14209331/ This is out of the UK for 2012. Note it is a 125 although there is a 250 being offered as well. In the technical specs the horsepower is given at 10.36 kw. That is I believe around 13.89 h.p. p.s. compared to the Elegance 135's 11.2. This XMAX has been around for a long time and it has fuel injection. It also makes the PCX look like a light weight as comparatively it is one heavy machine for its small displacement.

So.....other than its looks and a bit about the new technology of the new Elegance FI.....we still are in the dark on this one.

I can't believe that Yamaha would replace the 135 cc engine with a 125 cc. It's possible they can get the same power out of a 125 but why lose any extra power by reducing the engine size? Since the 135 cc is so fuel efficient as it is, why not try to get even more economy and power from it.

I can't believe that Yamaha would replace the 135 cc engine with a 125 cc. It's possible they can get the same power out of a 125 but why lose any extra power by reducing the engine size? Since the 135 cc is so fuel efficient as it is, why not try to get even more economy and power from it.

Would make sense though if they're working on a real PCX competitor. How about a 300cc T-Max... that would be something.... honestly, I think they *have* to put out another bike to compete with the PCX at this point. Thailand's ready for higher end scooters and Yamaha can hardly leave this market to Honda.

Edited by nikster

Would make sense though if they're working on a real PCX competitor. How about a 300cc T-Max... that would be something.... honestly, I think they *have* to put out another bike to compete with the PCX at this point. Thailand's ready for higher end scooters and Yamaha can hardly leave this market to Honda.

they have left the 250cc sportbike market to kawasaki for years ,they probably wont do anything until they see how the pcx 150 is selling at 78-85k

luxury scoooters like the pcx are becoming more common ,there is at least one in most condo buildings now just from riding past the car parks

I cant fiqure out why they downgraded one of the main advantages ,have they dropped the mio 125cc Diasil engine into it and added fuel injection

and hoped nobody wil notice ? :)

surely tuning up the 135cc would have been a winning formula but maybe they know something we dont

there could be a bigger weapon ,just around the corner and they dont want a 135cc and 150cc etc because they are too close together

i think a 150cc elegance with a 7-8L fuel tank and EFI would be a perfect vehicle for bkk ,but keep it slim n trim ,not as rounded as the pcx ,increase height if neccesary

wish theyde release some information in english,people been talking about this new elegance for about 3 years ALREADY and now the bike is being sold and on youtube and stil we dont know hardly any details .....

I'm sure the 125 is for other markets and that Thailand's Elegance will retain its 135cc engine.

If Yamaha Thailand fit the Mio 125 engine in a heavier Elegance's body then i think they are doomed from the off, the bike would lose my interest for one.

Sure the bike would be more comfortable and surefooted compared to my current Mio125 but the lack of ommphh would force me to consider paying near 40,000 baht more for the only other option on the market.... A route i really don't want to have to take :(

Come on Yammy, tinker with the 135i Spark engine and give that 150PCX a run for it money :)

yamaha could blow them out of the water but it might be years before they release anything

ive been hearing about a new elegance in thaiand for the last 2-3 years and it stil hasnt filtered down to the capital city !

a bigger bike ,with a smaller engine sounds extremely gay to me

maybe they are under pressure to make more fuel efficient bikes so they can say "our new 125cc engine does 65km per litre ,New Honda click only gets 55km etc "

i think its all bullshit but i usually use the elegance at its limits anyway so i would welcome more displacement ,but i am not the majority of the asian market

that this bike was designed for so maybe my next scooter wont be a yamaha

i think my "old" elegance is pretty much bomb proof anyway ,i dont see the need to upgrade it if its kept well serviced ,a scooter for daily scooting is as much as i really need out of it

• Like 1

At this point one has to wonder what Yamaha is doing. I think in the post I just made in the Mittyan thread that it is now nearly 100 percent certain that the new Nouvo will not be a 135. It will be a 125, same same as what is being offered in Vietnam. http://kawasakininja-250r.blogspot.com/2012/03/yamaha-nouvo-sx.html

note the horsepower for this new model.....around 10,5 to the old carburated Elegance's 11.2. This seems to me to be a big step backwards. Considering my shootout road test between the Elegance and the HOnda PCX 125 proves the fuel economy of the two bikes is identical, then I would think the new 150 PCX is going to drink 10 to 15 % more gas than the older 125 c.c. model. By downsizing from 135 c'cs to 125 plus adding fuel injection I would think the new Nouvo 125 c.c. will be say 15 % more fuel efficient than the 135 c.c. model with carburator. So.....I would think that Yamaha will now be able to claim it's the fuel economy champ.

However...the Elegance has only a 4,8 liter fuel tank to the PCX's 6.2 liter tank so I would think that the new 150 model will still outrange the up and coming Nouvo 125 SX. So it looks to me that Yamaha wishes to capitalize on the fuel economy minded segment of the market by moving many Thais from Honda Waves and the like to the new automatic SX 125's. At the same time it looks like Yamaha is giving up on the upper end of the market because there will be no competition for the new 150 c.c. PCX. Speaking for myself.....if I were to buy one or the other right now it would most defnitely be the new 150 Honda PCX

At this point one has to wonder what Yamaha is doing. I think in the post I just made in the Mittyan thread that it is now nearly 100 percent certain that the new Nouvo will not be a 135. It will be a 125, same same as what is being offered in Vietnam. http://kawasakininja...a-nouvo-sx.html

note the horsepower for this new model.....around 10,5 to the old carburated Elegance's 11.2. This seems to me to be a big step backwards. Considering my shootout road test between the Elegance and the HOnda PCX 125 proves the fuel economy of the two bikes is identical, then I would think the new 150 PCX is going to drink 10 to 15 % more gas than the older 125 c.c. model. By downsizing from 135 c'cs to 125 plus adding fuel injection I would think the new Nouvo 125 c.c. will be say 15 % more fuel efficient than the 135 c.c. model with carburator. So.....I would think that Yamaha will now be able to claim it's the fuel economy champ.

However...the Elegance has only a 4,8 liter fuel tank to the PCX's 6.2 liter tank so I would think that the new 150 model will still outrange the up and coming Nouvo 125 SX. So it looks to me that Yamaha wishes to capitalize on the fuel economy minded segment of the market by moving many Thais from Honda Waves and the like to the new automatic SX 125's. At the same time it looks like Yamaha is giving up on the upper end of the market because there will be no competition for the new 150 c.c. PCX. Speaking for myself.....if I were to buy one or the other right now it would most defnitely be the new 150 Honda PCX

i bought one of the last run of "old" elegances last week for a family member ,so we have two in the family now

maybe the new 125cc elegance is redesigned with a larger tank ?? i think the new honda click came with a larger fuel tank so the new elegance might do similar

suzuki and kawasaki should come back into the scooter market to liven it up a bit ,particularly some so called " luxury scooters" to compete with Honda

at the moment ,honda has this market all to itself ,there is nothing really comparable to a pcx in the 85k region from any of the other big manufacturers

At this point one has to wonder what Yamaha is doing. I think in the post I just made in the Mittyan thread that it is now nearly 100 percent certain that the new Nouvo will not be a 135. It will be a 125, same same as what is being offered in Vietnam. http://kawasakininja...a-nouvo-sx.html

i bought one of the last run of "old" elegances last week for a family member ,so we have two in the family now

maybe the new 125cc elegance is redesigned with a larger tank ?? i think the new honda click came with a larger fuel tank so the new elegance might do similar

suzuki and kawasaki should come back into the scooter market to liven it up a bit ,particularly some so called " luxury scooters" to compete with Honda

at the moment ,honda has this market all to itself ,there is nothing really comparable to a pcx in the 85k region from any of the other big manufacturers

There's a lot of bikes I like and when I don't like one I won't hesitate to call a spade a spade. Absolutely......if I were Yamaha I'd most certainly increase the fuel tank size because range is much more critical than mileage. Both the Elegance and the PCX will do over 100 miles to the gallon. My shootout test from Pattaya to Rayong certainly proves that. The difference is although I made the round trip and still had a little fuel left in my Elegance's tank my friend still showed more than half a tank left in his PCX. That means we could have driven PCX's to Rayong, then driven all over the area, then returned back to Pattaya early evening and not had to worry about fueling up again until we were in the mood. And all because of a 6.2 liter tank. When I was in Krabi the first time, I rented a Honda Airblade. We drove way out into the boonies and got lost. By the time we got back to AO Nang where we fueled up the tank was nearly empty. (the airblade only holds 4 liters). And that's why the Air Blade gets terrible gas mileage while the PCX gets terrific mileage. The tank holds 50 % more fuel. Plus, it's nice not having to fuel up very often. I'd much rather be hitting gas stations once a week rather than once every 4 days for example, even if there are lots of gas stations around.

But back to the PCX.....I love my Elegance. However..........the PCX has much better rear view mirrors and that can literally be a life saver. That alone might make it worthwhile to spend say 84,000 baht instead of 55,000. Plus the bike is heavier so when that idiot driver hits your PCX perhaps he will go down alone and not take you down with him.

range is far more important to me as well ,i would rather fill up less often and carry an extra 2-4 litres on board

is it possible to fit wider mirrors on an elegance ? if pcx mirrors could fit i would order a set

the stock mirrors would work if the arms were a bit longer ,i feel like i need to sit on the back (passenger ) seat

of elegance to be able to use the mirrors effectively

range is far more important to me as well ,i would rather fill up less often and carry an extra 2-4 litres on board

is it possible to fit wider mirrors on an elegance ? if pcx mirrors could fit i would order a set

the stock mirrors would work if the arms were a bit longer ,i feel like i need to sit on the back (passenger ) seat

Over a year ago I was thinking the same as you as my friend Per's mirrors were much better than I had on my Elegance. I went to Mittoyan on Pattaya tai to inquire and they told me the PCX mirrors would definitely not work on the Elegance. Then I was directed to go back into the shop were I was shown some after market mirrors. But they were cheap and shoddy looking. That ended my quest for better mirrors.

....is it possible to fit wider mirrors on an elegance...
....I went to Mittoyan on Pattaya tai to inquire and they told me the PCX mirrors would definitely not work on the Elegance

It is definitely not possible, because the Yammy mirrors have one "lefthand-thread" and one "righthand-thread".

The Honda mirrors are both "righthand-thread".

I solved it this way:

I bought a second pair of Mio mirrors (120 Bt) and cut the rod near the mirror.

Than cut the original mirrors near the thread, welded it together and so I extended the rod lenght by nearly 8 cm each side.

Works wonders..

Edited by vel_tins

....I went to Mittoyan on Pattaya tai to inquire and they told me the PCX mirrors would definitely not work on the Elegance

It is definitely not possible, because the Yammy mirrors have one "lefthand-thread" and one "righthand-thread".

I solved it this way:

Than cut the original mirrors near the thread, welded it together and so I extended the rod lenght by nearly 8 cm each side.

Works wonders..

Or you could have used a tap or die to cut the desired thread smile.png

Edited by karlos

first: If you want to cut a new thread, you have to remove the old one first (cut it).

BUT...you have to do it on both mirrors, and if you cut the old thread, there is not enough "flesh/material", to cut a new one.

second: you have to buy a die/tap for a "lefthand-thread" and for a "righthand-thread"

third: If you weld it, you can adjust the size of the rod, to fit your needs...

I solved it this way:

Works wonders..

thanks for a great solution :)

i wil get this done as soon as i can

are the mio mirrors always 120 thb in any yamaha shop or did you get them somewhere else ?

I use PCX mirrors on my elegance. Yes, on one side the thread is different, but there is a small connecting piece used. You can mount the PCX mirrors on the elegance if you don't use this piece on the right side. The right mirror is than approx. 1-2cm lower than the left mirror, but that doesn't matter.

But the PCX mirrors are only a small improvement compared to the elegance stock mirrors. They are still too narrow if mounted on the elegance. I feel still not safe with them.

PCX mirrors:

post-129800-0-74035600-1332338733_thumb.

Small connection piece that i didn't use on the right side:

post-129800-0-91504900-1332338735_thumb.