Security Tightened In Pattaya

Lite Beer

Security tightened in Pattaya

The Nation on Sunday

30176209-01_big.JPG

PATTAYA:-- Police get tough on registration rules after bomb suspects' stay

Authorities in the popular resort city of Pattaya have stepped up security measures, as suspects in last Tuesday's bomb blasts in Bangkok were believed to have stayed there prior to the incidents.

Komsan Ekachai, governor of Chon Buri province, and Pattaya Mayor Ittipol Khunpleum said operators of hotels and other types of accommodation had been asked to strictly follow regulations.

Authorities found that three suspects, believed to be Iranians, stayed at a guest house in Pattaya, but the operator did not report the customers' names to local authorities within 24 hours, as required by law.

Police Maj-General Chamnong Rattanakul, chief of Chon Buri provincial police, who also oversees Pattaya, said all hotel and guest house operators would be required to cooperate with authorities and strictly abide by rules and regulations.

He suggested establishments install closed-circuit TV systems and require proper registration of all guests.

Operators must also report to authorities quickly if they have any suspicions concerning the possibility of terrorism.

"In the past, we were not strict with operators. Now, we need to work together to ensure security for everyone. The Bali bombing [of 2002] is a good example. If that happens, there will be serious economic consequences, especially a severe impact on tourism.

"Operators should pay more attention to their staff, especially their housekeepers and security personnel, who must help authorities monitor potential suspects and help prevent untoward incidents," Chamnong said.

"Potential terrorists will not stay in big hotels, but will choose to stay in small places such as guest houses in order to avoid strict security regulations," he said.

Meanwhile, Foreign minister Surapong Towichukchaikul said it was not yet possible to seek the extradition of a bomb suspect from Malaysia to Thailand.

At this stage, Malaysian authorities have not filed formal charges against the suspect, who is believed to have fled from Thailand to Malaysia following the drama in Bangkok last week.

However, Malaysian authorities said they would fully cooperate with their counterparts in Thailand in this case. The suspect was arrested while attempting to leave Malaysia for Iran.

Earlier, the Israeli government accused Iran of being behind the bomb incidents in Bangkok, saying its top diplomat was among the targets.

Israel also stated that the bombs used in Bangkok were manufactured at the same site as those used in recent incidents in India and Georgia.

However, the Iranian diplomatic mission in Bangkok has denied Iran's involvement in the bomb incidents.

No one was killed in the Bangkok blasts - in Sukhumvit 71 - but one of the suspects lost his legs after one bomb reportedly hit a tree and bounced back close to him.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-19

Chon Buri steps up security after bomb attacks in BKK

CHON BURI, 18 February 2012 (NNT) – The Chon Buri Governor has convened a meeting with security officials, tour agencies and hotel and guesthouse operators to discuss security measures following the bomb attacks by Iranian nationals in Bangkok.

The move comes after a report that the assailants earlier stayed at a Pattaya guesthouse but the owner did not inform authorities of its guests’ identity within 24 hours as required.

Five people, including the bomber himself, were injured in Tuesday's blasts after three explosions went off in Bangkok's bustling Ekkamai neighbourhood.

Police chief General Prewpan Dhamapong said the target was Israeli diplomats. One of the suspects was arrested at Suvarnabhumi Airport. Another gang member was arrested by Malaysian authorities in Kuala Lumpur.

Governor Khomsan Ekacha has asked all hotel and guesthouse owners to cooperate with tourist police to ensure order and safety.

Pol Maj Gen Chamnong Rattanakul, chief of Chon Buri police suggested that hoteliers have closed circuit cameras installed throughout the hotels and that they train their maids to be watchful for any sign of suspicious activities.

Meanwhile, the Foreign Ministry said the number of foreign countries issuing travel alert for Thailand remained at 14.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-02-18 footer_n.gif

I don't understand this news item. By this I mean that I don't understand what impact, what-so-ever, this "reporting" requirement would have had on the bombing/terrorist attack in Bangkok. Until the actual event, these animals had every right to roam around Thailand because they had committed no "known" crime. If I am missing something, please enlighten me.

In this case it is about retrospect investigation I would assume; tracing the movements of these dimwits prior to cocking up their plans. Tracking their movements might have lead the police to a ring leader, co-conspirators, sympathisers, or anything but unless they can quickly find this stuff out, then these avenues are not available (they would, on this occasion, have found a few dumpy hookers of course). Of course, this would assume the police were actually doing anything that could be terms "investigation" fitted into their busy schedule of extortion, racketeering, and general loitering about looking for trouble.

• Like 1

I don't understand this news item. By this I mean that I don't understand what impact, what-so-ever, this "reporting" requirement would have had on the bombing/terrorist attack in Bangkok. Until the actual event, these animals had every right to roam around Thailand because they had committed no "known" crime. If I am missing something, please enlighten me.

You are missing the need for the concerned authorities to look like they are doing something. "They are watching at us, look busy!"

The point were people should be screened is at the immigration desk, whatever follows is simply closing the barn door after the horse bolted.

• Like 2

You are missing the need for the concerned authorities to look like they are doing something. "They are watching at us, look busy!"

The point were people should be screened is at the immigration desk, whatever follows is simply closing the barn door after the horse bolted.

Yes, they are following the example set by the US after the 9/11 incidents: a very grand show of securing that barn door, with an army of low-IQ baggage inspectors too concerned about your shampoo bottle to realize you could be carrying the same weapon the bad guys used on that day.

It's known as security theatre, admission cost added to the price of your airline ticket.

• Like 2

It is going through the motions for the sake of appearances, domestic and international, hoping that nobody will recall the fact that all they had/have to do is follow reliable intelligence from reliable sources such as the USA. How embarrassing it must be to have other countries know more about what is happening in your sovereignty than you do. Tsk, tsk.

• Like 1

My guess is that if the Thai authorities did a full stock take of people in Pattaya there would be a huge list of condemnable specimens.

And I'd guess the same thing of where YOU live....what unsubstantiated drivel

So now this article sounds specific that the suspect threw the bomb and it hit a tree and bounced back near his feet (som nam naa -- serves him right)(Allah is great??????)...... From the first report there seemed to remain a question of bouncing back or dropping it.

Some people might not know that it is law that every hotel, guest house or any other business that takes in guests are supposed to report every customer at check-in and check-out to the police.

Yes it might seem like a lot of work but there is an obvious reason for that.

I know people here like to bash the Thai's and the police and all that but if you think about how many tourist check in/out of places here then maybe the police can be given credit that yes they are busy taking all of this info and look into it sometimes when needed.

Now call me prejudges or what you want but if I were a hotel owner I would probably report 99% of them that check in as "suspicious."

However the point is that every guest including you and me that have ever rented here are supposed to be reported and it seems that they have been slacking off lately so I guess not the big push is back on.

I was very surprised to learn many years ago while sitting on Walking Street that the bars have the right to refuse people and they just DO NOT let any Middle East looking guys in the bars. I saw 4 guys walk up and were looking into the bar where I was sitting for seats when about 6 or 7 gals ran out front and just said "NOOOOOO GO FAR AWAY FROM HERE" When I asked the bar owner about it she said that they are trouble, don't spend any money and treat the woman bad. dam_n in Canada they would shut you down, throw you in jail and throw the key away for that.

If that had happened to one of the Bkk Bombers (just like being refused by the taxi driver) I could see one of them throwing a bomb into the bar being pissed off.

Yes, they are following the example set by the US after the 9/11 incidents: a very grand show of securing that barn door, with an army of low-IQ baggage inspectors too concerned about your shampoo bottle to realize you could be carrying the same weapon the bad guys used on that day.

It's known as security theatre, admission cost added to the price of your airline ticket.

The reporting rules for hotels and people running accomodation services has been in force long before 9/11. It is however a mostly "post-incident" event unless the person is using his/her correct name and that is known to the authorities for whatever reason. If the name is known, then there is a chance of arrest; if not, then the reporting will be used to back track the persons movements.

dam_n in Canada they would shut you down, throw you in jail and throw the key away for that.

Yes Canada is a real haven for people from that part of the world.

paki bashing

A pass time once common in U.K. and Canadian cities where drunken white youths would lay the boots to an unsuspecting Pakistani refugee.

Let's have a few beer and go paki bashing, eh?

http://www.urbandict...rm=paki+bashing

Edited by Suradit69

My guess is that if the Thai authorities did a full stock take of people in Pattaya there would be a huge list of condemnable specimens.

And I'd guess the same thing of where YOU live....what unsubstantiated drivel

It's not unsubstatiated in the least. Look at the amount of child pervs that have been arrested there over the years. Same story with gangsters on the run, army deserters etc.

It should be no surprise to anyone that these people, bombers/terrorists come here. They are here to have their R&R before going back to Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc etc to go back and fight for the cause.

That has probably been why Pattaya has not been a repeat of Bali. So far, and cross our fingers that continues. Edited by Jingthing

OK, so hotels have to register guests within 24 Hours, now guest houses have to, I would imagine those wanting to stay under the radar will just rent houses or condos.

Would it not make séance to insist that all property owners register guests and the process to do so made easy?